Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Starts next week and I'm really excited!

Freddie Highmore and Vera Farmiga, yeah they're good, but it's really Richard Harmon and Mike Vogel I'm looking forward to watching.

From Carlton Cuse, the half of the Lost producers that DIDN'T write Prometheus.

by Anonymousreply 27405/01/2015

Wasn't Vera Farmiga just nominated a few years ago? She's been reduced to TV already? Sad.

by Anonymousreply 103/11/2013

How funny considering Hitchcock intended Psycho as a kinda parody/ pastiche.

by Anonymousreply 303/11/2013

R2, yeah that's kind of annoying, but it still looks good.

by Anonymousreply 403/11/2013

Sorry - looks like it will be exploring incest pretty deeply.

I think most Americans are going to be heeby-jeebied by this show and it will fail no matter how good it is.

by Anonymousreply 503/11/2013

Will Anna and Mr. Bates be making guest appearances?

by Anonymousreply 603/11/2013

by Anonymousreply 703/13/2013

Is this a limited arc series, or is it one that could run indefinitely?

by Anonymousreply 803/13/2013

All A/E shows turn into limited arc ones pretty soon.

by Anonymousreply 903/13/2013

Just watched the first episode. It was REALLY good.

by Anonymousreply 1003/17/2013

The inner scene with Vera and Freddie was superb. I predict Emmy moms for both.

by Anonymousreply 1103/17/2013

[quote]looks like it will be exploring incest pretty deeply.

No, it won't be.

by Anonymousreply 1203/17/2013

Just watched the pilot. Not really sure how I felt about it. The scenes with Norma and Norman were good, but everything involving Norman and the other kids was awful. I'm not sure what planet the writer was a teenager on, but it certainly wasn't Earth because no teenage girls behave that way.

by Anonymousreply 1303/18/2013

Norman took a wife?

by Anonymousreply 1403/18/2013

Yeah, what small town teenage party has girls dancing around in day-glo wigs and bikinis? That shit was embarassing. Also, for a woman who was just raped, Norma seems to be pretty non-plussed about it. Yeah, they had to deal with other issues but both Norman and Norma didn't seem to think the rape was such a big deal.

Otherwise, seems like it could be entertaining. Wonder where they're going to go with Norman's older brother. Ditto with the illustrator of the found book.

by Anonymousreply 1503/18/2013

[bold]Mother, as She Lives and Breathes[/bold]

A series called “Bates Motel” can’t open with a shower scene. But since this new drama, starting Monday on A&E, is, after all, a prequel of sorts to the movie “Psycho,” homage had to be paid to Alfred Hitchcock upfront. The creators went with that director’s sly sense of humor.

The first shot shows a scene from “His Girl Friday” flickering late at night on an old television set.

“Are you going to live with your mother?” Cary Grant’s character naughtily asks his ex-girlfriend’s fiancé. The man earnestly replies, “Just for the first year.”

“Bates Motel” tells the story of the young Norman Bates (Freddie Highmore), a bright, sensitive teenager who after his father’s death moves to a dilapidated motel on the coast — with his smothering mother, Norma (Vera Farmiga).

It’s less a horror story than it is a bildungsroman of the budding psychopath.

And this prequel is hardly the only one preying on popular works of entertainment. “Oz the Great and Powerful,” which explores a pre-Dorothy Emerald City, is a hit in movie theaters. “Wicked,” the beloved musical about the girlhoods of the witches of Oz is still, nearly 10 years on, a Broadway smash.

“The Carrie Diaries,” on the CW, looks at a teenage Carrie Bradshaw fretting about sex in high school, not the city. “Smallville,” an earlier CW show, was about Superman before he was even a man; the story began when Clark Kent was a teenager. The 2009 “Star Trek” movie, directed by J. J. Abrams, imagined Mr. Spock and Captain Kirk when they were still fresh out of Starfleet Academy.

Antiheroes are just as popular: practically every phase of Hannibal Lecter, the serial-killer savant from “Silence of the Lambs,” has been explored; even his youth was mined in the 2007 film “Hannibal Rising.” (The Nazis made him what he is.) So “Hannibal,” a new NBC series that begins in April, catches up with the villain a little later, when he was a midcareer cannibal.

Studios and network executive are risk averse, and prequels, which can stretch a franchise in the opposite direction of time, provide a slightly more imaginative way of cashing in on success than remakes. For screenwriters it’s an exercise in curtailed creativity, like an architect designing an addition to a landmark.

Of course “Psycho” has a more definitive and downbeat ending than most, and a lot of viewers know the story, even if they never saw the movie, and can predict where Norman and his mother are headed.

On one level the series explores the twisted steps that led Norman to his fate. The creators made “Bates Motel” less an exercise in “what if” than an “if only” — keeping viewers wondering whether, with some intervention or lucky break, the ultimate mama’s boy could come to a different end. But the series has to keep the narrative going and needs to add surprise turns that could affect Norman’s destiny. It does so by introducing layers of invented subplots that weave into Norman’s life, for good and evil.

by Anonymousreply 1603/18/2013

And that two-track approach is evident throughout. “Bates Motel” distances itself from the movie by setting the story in present times — cellphones and Swiffer sweepers — while holding onto a musty, old-fashioned overlay. And the motel duplicates the setting of the Hitchcock movie, with an Edward Gorey-style house looming high above the strip of shabby motel rooms.

Norman goes to high school, where an attractive, solicitous guidance counselor seeks him out. So does the queen bee of a clique of popular girls, apparently drawn to the new kid’s shy reticence. There is also a brainy misfit, Emma (Olivia Cooke), with problems of her own, who wants to befriend Norman. Emma tries to enlist him in investigating a mystery that lies far beneath the surface of their small, scenic town.

All that seems like CW territory, so the burden of keeping the series adult and disturbing falls to Ms. Farmiga. This actress makes a quicksilver character study of Mrs. Norma Bates — oppressive and guilt inducing one second, charmingly lighthearted the next, and with an endless collection of robes that have a way of falling open whenever her son is around.

Norma also has a first, less accommodating son from a previous marriage, a bitter ne’er-do-well who shows up wanting money.

And all other kinds of problems rise up in town to interrupt her communion with Norman, including some murders that have nothing to do with the Bateses’ psychotic entente. But the most worrisome of all is a brooding, suspicious sheriff, Alex Romero, played by Nestor Carbonell. (The actor may have been chosen partly because he looks a little like a sturdier, more buff Anthony Perkins, who played the original Norman Bates.)

“Bates Motel” has a talented cast and a memorable back story that guides, but doesn’t limit, the narrative, and at its best it’s intriguing and enjoyably grim. But even more than Norman, the series itself has a split personality, a Hitchcock classic grafted onto a much more mundane brand of suspense.

Each new twist moves it further from “Psycho” and closer to Nancy Drew.

by Anonymousreply 1703/18/2013

premiere bump

by Anonymousreply 1803/18/2013

First episode was awesome.

Vera Farmiga wins. Everything. She just wins.

by Anonymousreply 1903/18/2013

R20 is a weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 2103/18/2013

I watched the pilot earlier tonight. I thought it was solid and Vera's acting was good. I don't the show will get renewed for a second season. Some of the people on twitter are too freaked out by the incestuous undertones and one idiot girl on twitter kept saying how she was creeped out by Norman constantly saying "Mother." Other people on twitter told her to watch Psycho to better understand the tone of Bates Motel.

I think the budgeting was the reason the show doesn't take place in the 50s. I think the producers are setting this up more as re-imagining rather than a prequel. It is kind of like how Smallville was.

by Anonymousreply 2203/19/2013

I love you r14.

by Anonymousreply 2303/19/2013

Freddie Highmore needs to work on his American accent.

by Anonymousreply 2403/19/2013

Jesus r22 are you serious about the dumb chick on Twitter? Why would someone even watch this unless they are a fan of Psycho? I am watching because I love Vera Farmiga and I love Pscyho, I am also 40 years old and would get the "mother" stuff even if I wasn't a fan because I knew many who were. Why would this girl even watch it? Does Freddie Highmore have a lot of teen fans still? I guess so.

by Anonymousreply 2503/19/2013

I watched it and was unimpressed. It started off dull, picked up a little in the middle, and got dull again. I've seen Vera Farmiga do much better. It was all pretty MEH. I don't know if I'll watch again.

by Anonymousreply 2603/19/2013

Freddie Highmore's gotten nerdy-hot.

He'll be something when he's 30. And he's tallish!

by Anonymousreply 2703/19/2013

I liked it although the time frame seems all off after the Hitchcock movie. Wonder if they didn't make it period (50's) due to budget?

by Anonymousreply 2903/19/2013

Kids today can't be bothered watching black and white films.

by Anonymousreply 3003/19/2013

I mostly liked it, but the rape scene really bothered me. Not just the fact that it happened, but as one of the posters noted earlier, the very muted reactions to it, both by the victim and her son. Walking in while his mother is being violently raped in the kitchen with her mouth covered in tape, while he were out at a party (and she had been screaming for him while he was away). That's traumatic.

by Anonymousreply 3103/19/2013

Yeah, that was a bit weird.

by Anonymousreply 3203/19/2013

To the posters saying Norma's reaction to getting raped was muted, she freaking stabbed the guy multiple times!

by Anonymousreply 3303/19/2013

Some people do like some things, R34. I know you're on DL, and therefore assume you must hate everything, but that is not true for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 3503/19/2013

R30, you are forgetting about Gus Van Sant making the odious version with Ann Heche and Vince Vaughn. Horrible!

Pity this did not have a better budget, it is a fascinating premise.

by Anonymousreply 3603/19/2013

I just watched it. I really enjoyed it. Vera was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 3703/20/2013

R31 - the muted reactions probably speak to who they are and how psychologically damaged they are? It's Psycho - Norman and his mother weren't normal people.

by Anonymousreply 3803/20/2013

I like Freddy Highmore, but Bates Motel looks like a total dud. IMHO the worst pilot/first episode of a show I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 3903/20/2013

I love Vera and Freddie while weak in the accent department acquited himself nicely. I could not get past the update in time. It would be fine if this were associated with a forgotten film but Psycho is such an iconic one that I found the update too distracting. Also I agree with the poster who commented on the teen girls. It looked like the teen population popped to life straight from a Maxim article about Hot Chicks of the California Coast. It made no sense. Also for more Vera check out her directorial debut Higher Ground. AWESOME! Fun fact from seeing Freddie on Jimmy Fallon. He is studying at Cambridge.

by Anonymousreply 4003/20/2013

They already did the prequel with Olivia Hussey and Elliot from ET. There was no implied incest in that one, it was explicit.

by Anonymousreply 4103/20/2013

I've watched the first episode twice and where is the implied incest???

by Anonymousreply 4203/20/2013

From the first episode, I got the sense that they haven't had sex yet, but the undertones/feelings are already set in place. In one scene Norman watched as Norma undressed when he was taking things up to the house. Norma also made sure that Norman's room was next to hers. Her demeanor while waiting for him at dinner showed that she views him kind of like a husband. I also recall seeing a scene in the promos for the upcoming episodes where they are lying in bed together clothed.

I predict that Norma will kill again and it will be one of those girls from school or the teacher.

by Anonymousreply 4303/20/2013

Shit I missed it. When was it on and will they rerun it?

by Anonymousreply 4403/20/2013

[R44] A&E is airing it again tonight 11 pm est and I think they might show it again on Saturday or Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 4503/20/2013

I liked it. It has potential. Very creepy, but not as creepy as The Following. Freddie speaking in his native British accent for every other line bothered me. Loved seeing Richard Alpert. And Vera was amazing!

by Anonymousreply 4603/21/2013

Only gets a 65 rating on metacritic, not a good sign.

by Anonymousreply 4703/23/2013

If this show doesn't get renewed for a second season, we will probably see Vera on another cable TV show.

by Anonymousreply 4803/24/2013

The second episode was decent and it is obvious will die on screen next.

by Anonymousreply 4903/26/2013

I thought episode two was a big step down in quality. And it's not like the first episode was that great.

by Anonymousreply 5003/26/2013

The actor who plays the older brother Dylan is hot, though.

by Anonymousreply 5103/26/2013

Were we supposed to understand who set the fire in the warehouse? I'm not sure if I missed something, but I didn't see a reveal of that info.

I thought it was awkward when cystic fibrosis chick needed to take a break for hiking because of difficulty breathing, but then minutes later she had to problem bolting for her life. Normally I'm not bothered by things like that on TV shows, but during that particular scene I kept thinking that she was dead for sure because she wouldn't be able to run, but she was moving just fine.

by Anonymousreply 5203/26/2013

I didn't understand any of the fire stuff, including the guy hanging upside down and on fire at the end.

by Anonymousreply 5303/26/2013

I cracked up at that scene of Norman and Emma in the woods. Dylan is hot but he looks a lot like that deputy Norma went out with.

by Anonymousreply 5403/26/2013

R53 - the hot cop told Norma the townspeople dole out vigilante justice, so I'm guessing it's retribution for the guy who got killed?

They kind of need to step it up a bit. It's obvious they're trying to build character development, but that's going to get boring pretty quickly.

by Anonymousreply 5503/26/2013

Max Thieriot growed up nice! I wonder if his hole's recovered from Vin Diesel.

by Anonymousreply 5603/26/2013

I'm must watching the pilot. So Norma killed her husband I'm assuming? Where is this older brother that Norman mentions?

by Anonymousreply 5703/27/2013

I take it Dylan is NOT Norma's biological son?

by Anonymousreply 5803/28/2013

Dylan is her biological son, but Dylan and Norman are only half brothers.

So the cops and townspeople burn people alive in the middle of town during the day as their form of justice? Umm ...

I wonder if "Norman Bates runs from pot growers" was included in the pitch meeting.

by Anonymousreply 5903/28/2013

Yeah, what is the deal with the two burned men? It's not the cops and it showed a girl tied up and being given a shot. Where the heck is she? I think this isn't so much about Norma and Norman Bates as it is the weird town.

by Anonymousreply 6003/28/2013

[quote] I think this isn't so much about Norma and Norman Bates as it is the weird town.

I agree. It's as if the Bates family has relocated to Twin Peaks. A little incestuous flirting would hardly be the biggest scandal in that community.

by Anonymousreply 6103/28/2013

I agree that the show has a Twin Peaks feel to it with the introduction of the weird, secrets-filled town. They have to have something to focus on and develop plots around other that the creepy relationship between Norman and Norma, or they'd run out of story and interest very quickly.

by Anonymousreply 6203/28/2013

This show sucks so far. I had high hopes, but it just feels weird. Everything is slightly off, especially the performances.

by Anonymousreply 6303/31/2013

It definitely needs something.

by Anonymousreply 6403/31/2013

I'm still watching. What the heck was under the bed that is missing now. Norman was freaking out.

by Anonymousreply 6504/01/2013

Holy shit. The cop!!

by Anonymousreply 6604/01/2013

The belt that belonged to the guy they killed was under the bed, R65. I fell asleep for the last half hour last night. I'll have to catch a rerun - forgot to PVR it.

by Anonymousreply 6704/02/2013

Disney or Universal Studios should open a real Bates Motel for guests to stay in.

by Anonymousreply 6804/02/2013

Highway robbery, murder in the first degree.

by Anonymousreply 6904/02/2013

I thought episode 3 showed a bit more promise with Norman's hallucinations and what might come of that.

by Anonymousreply 7004/03/2013

This most recent episode was better.

I'm disappointed in the brother character. It's just so typical, and I really like Max Thierot.

by Anonymousreply 7104/04/2013

Yes, they don't need the brother, I'm bored with him already.

I thought I'd never seen Vera Farminga before (she kind of reminds me of Felicity Huffman) but she was in Orphan. She's very good in Bates Motel.

by Anonymousreply 7204/06/2013

damn, I had given up and deleted the most recent episode and now I am reading that you guys thought it was the best? I can probably trust the Dl'ers more than anyone else on this. Should I try and find it to watch?

by Anonymousreply 7304/06/2013

Just watch it, R73. It's only an hour, less if you record it. The good part is at the end.

by Anonymousreply 7404/06/2013

Is Freddie Gay?

by Anonymousreply 7504/06/2013

I love it. It's creepy. It's definitely getting better with each episode....

by Anonymousreply 7604/06/2013

How big's Freddie's uncut English cock?

by Anonymousreply 7704/06/2013

Someone started a separate thread on Freddie Highmore being a horrible actor.

I don't know that I've seen him in anything else, but I think he's very good in this show. He's not much to look at, but he seems very believable as a possibly confused teen with some obviously bizarre stuff running through his head.

by Anonymousreply 7804/06/2013

In my opionion, Freddie is ok on the show. He wasn't great in the first episode. Vera is the best actor on the show. I think there is a small chance she could get an Emmy nomination.

by Anonymousreply 7904/07/2013

I haven't been much of a fan of Vera Farmiga in the past but I think she's giving a really interesting unsettling performance here.

by Anonymousreply 8004/07/2013

R80, I just wish she'd be a little bit more dynamic in her performance. She seems slightly drowsy in all of her scenes.

Freddie is good. He looks the part and he's a good actor, though he struggles slightly with the accent. The writing makes him seem spastic, though.

by Anonymousreply 8104/07/2013

Well at least we know the show won't leave us hanging. It got renewed for a second season.

by Anonymousreply 8204/08/2013

Vera is great in Quid Pro Quo and Down To The Bone.

by Anonymousreply 8304/08/2013

I'm loving Vera and I want Max Theriot to penetrate me, repeatedly.

by Anonymousreply 8404/08/2013

Norman gets laid!

by Anonymousreply 8504/08/2013

Norman could almost have had a normal life but his mom really fucked him up and he couldn't leave her.

by Anonymousreply 8604/08/2013

Exactly r86, and Misery Chastain died during childbirth because that was common in her day. I had nothing to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 8704/08/2013

Did he fuck his brother, r85?

by Anonymousreply 8804/08/2013

No, R88.

by Anonymousreply 8904/09/2013

I wonder if the whole season will just be layers of fantasy in Norman's head where you don't know what's real?

by Anonymousreply 9004/09/2013

Max Vogel is hot.

by Anonymousreply 9104/09/2013

This show is called Bates Motel, and the motel is non-existent.

For some reason, I thought the show was going to focus on the motel and it's guests.

by Anonymousreply 9204/14/2013

It's about 30 minutes of material stretched into an hour.

Not a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 9304/14/2013

The show needs better production, and more action.

by Anonymousreply 9404/15/2013

"You're freaking out all over Italy."

Is that a saying? Norman said it cystic fibrosis chick when he was telling her about how he found the sex-slave chick in the cop's basement.

I like the friendship between those two. And the way Highmore plays Norman as a twitchy and awkward dude works for me.

by Anonymousreply 9504/17/2013

I think Norman is going to help off Cystic Fibrosis Girl in some sort of mercy killing, and that's what's going to set off his lust to kill, and then he'll go for this "Bradley" girl. (Ugh, I hate that name for a girl.)

Also, Max Thieriot is pinging off the charts to me. The fake deep voice he's affected for the role screams of barely restraining the nelly within. Let it out, diva!

by Anonymousreply 9604/17/2013

I like Norman with the cystic fibrosis girl Emma rather than Bradley. I read some spoilers that indicate trouble will happen for Norman and Bradley.

by Anonymousreply 9704/17/2013

Max was hot on the motorcycle.

by Anonymousreply 9804/17/2013

Max Theriot is sex on a stick. My god, those lips!

by Anonymousreply 9904/17/2013

Any chance we can get on this series?

by Anonymousreply 10004/17/2013

This last episode was really good, and I've been very critical. The show needs to be careful, though, because Norma is becoming annoying.

by Anonymousreply 10104/18/2013

In the last episode, when he was texting the blond girl I noticed something weird with the text and now i not sure they really spend the night together.

by Anonymousreply 10204/19/2013

The problem with this to me is that Norman is too nice and sympathetic. I would never have imagined Norman Bates having two pretty girls interested in him, or that he would have a protective older brother. He should be more isolated and off putting to others.

by Anonymousreply 10304/19/2013

Pure speculation...

I think Norma and her son from a previous relationship (or marriage? I cannot recall) made love before and will again. Their respective characters have a certain dynamic about them.

Young Freddie seems to be doing well with this role. I don't take his accent slip ups to heart since he goes to University over in his country and because he is just so young. Screw it.

Vera Farmiga and her sister Taissa are two very fine actresses. It interests me how similar they are on that end when it comes to horror and also just from their both having played two rather hard core characters within the genre.

by Anonymousreply 10404/19/2013

No one watching tonight?

by Anonymousreply 10504/22/2013

Hot piece of ass cop is dead.

by Anonymousreply 10604/22/2013

I'm liking this show so far. It has been better I than expected to be.

by Anonymousreply 10704/23/2013

I knew something shocking was going to happen in the new episode, and I kept having the creepy feeling that cystic fibrosis chick was going to bite it.

But I'm OK with who did get killed and the big reveal about how Norman's dad died.

by Anonymousreply 10804/23/2013

I like cystic fibrosis girl alot I suspect she is faking. The other girl is too nice. I don't know any teenage pretty girl who is nice....

by Anonymousreply 10904/23/2013

I don't think the cystic fibrosis girl is faking it. There are theories and predictions going around to whether she or that Bradley girl will be killed off. My prediction is Bradley will be killed off. I get the feeling that the CF girl will end up being a friend of the Bates family and Norma will never have issues with her.

by Anonymousreply 11004/23/2013

[quote] I get the feeling that the CF girl will end up being a friend of the Bates family and Norma will never have issues with her.

I think that too, r110. But last night Norma responded to her hug in a very uncomfortable looking way. It had me thinking that she wants to like this girl, but she's also concerned about the potential that her son might eventually develop a romantic interest in her.

But that's probably unfair because I think I arrive at that thought based more on the Psycho history rather than strictly on what has been presented in this TV show.

by Anonymousreply 11104/23/2013

I agree R111 Norma did look uncomfortable when the girl hugged her, but I think she was a bit touched by the hug after awhile. In a previous episode, Norma was friendly with Emma when she first went over to her house and I think in a weird way she doesn't feel threatened by Emma because she has a serious illness. Norma was a bitch to Bradley and those other girls in the pilot when they showed up at the house.

by Anonymousreply 11204/23/2013

I'm really liking this show. I also like that Norman is sympathetic. I think it could be brilliant if he starts out likable only to end up loathsome ala Walt White from Breaking Bad.

I was so nervous last night praying that Max Thieriot didn't get killed off. I can't stop looking at him. I seriously need to fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 11304/23/2013

Wow. Great episode but no preview for next week.

by Anonymousreply 11404/23/2013

[quote]I was so nervous last night praying that Max Thieriot didn't get killed off. I can't stop looking at him. I seriously need to fuck him.

Get in line. He's adorable. Those eyes, those lips!

by Anonymousreply 11504/23/2013

Great episode on Monday. Freddy's acting is getting better and better.

I'm completely in love with the CF girl. Great character.

by Anonymousreply 11604/25/2013

I just did a marathon catch up and I'm really enjoying this. I'm a huge fan of Hitchcock's film and even the 80s sequels but I don't feel like they're so sacred an update or reimagining is offensive.

Loving the "Twin Peaks" vibe and trying to figure out what's in Norman's head and what's real. A fun, dark ride. Hope it can sustain.

by Anonymousreply 11704/29/2013

I really want to like this series and at times I do but I find myself laughing at it. Like when the Chinese girl named the cop. When Norma was running for her life she stopped and made a big effort to get a purse. Also Vera is a great actress but Jessica Lange has raised the bar she needs to put some effort in it EVEN and it often is the writing is bad. She did what she had to do in Orphan...

by Anonymousreply 11804/29/2013

The problem with this show is it moves a little too slowly, and it's a little hard to figure out what the exact story is.

by Anonymousreply 11904/29/2013

Did they have to kill off sexy cop (Mike Vogel)? He was so hot.

by Anonymousreply 12004/30/2013

I enjoy the slight touch of Nomi Malone that Vera puts into her performance -- in that you never know whether she'll react to something like a normal person or a crazy person.

by Anonymousreply 12104/30/2013

I think Vera is excellent. But, I gotta say if you want people to stay at your motel, you can't be screaming your head off all the time. Sheesh.

The one issue I have is that there's no way a town can have that many weirdos. There's been some DL complaints about the teenagers but they do seem to serve one purpose - BE NORMAL IN A SEA OF DEGENERATES.

And what was with Norma freaking over Norman's involvement with the blond girl? I'm not jumping on the incest bandwagon but it does seem the writers want us constantly guessing the incest/Oedipus equation and Vera's got some pretty good facial expressions which keep you guessing. She kinda creeps me out.

by Anonymousreply 12204/30/2013

So happy Bradley dumped Norman. I HATE the stupid teen romance crap. The dynamic between Norma and Norman is more interesting. I hope Norman doesn't stuff the poor little doggie.

by Anonymousreply 12304/30/2013

Freddie Highmore is HOT.

by Anonymousreply 12404/30/2013

I think Bradley and Dylan are gonna hook up. And maybe Norman will kill him over it? Dylan will die soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 12504/30/2013

I'm actually happy with the pace of the show thus far. Just a half a dozen episodes in, they already finished up the cop story arc and are already making the way for a new storyline with the creepy tenant.

Last night's ep was mostly filler to set the scene for next week, which obviously escalates the Norma-creepy tenant storyline.

by Anonymousreply 12604/30/2013

That poor dog. As soon as we saw his cute face I knew he was a goner.

by Anonymousreply 12704/30/2013

God, I can't take my eyes off Max Thieriot. Hot! Those eyes, those lips! They better not kill him off.

by Anonymousreply 12804/30/2013

Anyone else think Nestor Carbonell, now that he's older, sort of looks like Anthony Perkins? At least from some angles.

by Anonymousreply 12904/30/2013

This may have been discussed, but WTF is the time period?

Shouldn't it be the '30s or maybe '40s?

Why are there cell phones?

by Anonymousreply 13004/30/2013

Bradley is a bit of a tramp. And she looks like a young Reese Witherspoon.

by Anonymousreply 13104/30/2013

Weird thing to maker a series of but its interesting but how can they sustain Hannibal?

by Anonymousreply 13204/30/2013

What the HELL did Jere Burns do to his face?

by Anonymousreply 13304/30/2013

R130 the movie was released in 1960 so yes the series should be set in the 50's. Others have speculated that the producers didn't want or, didn't have the budget for period costumes, cars and sets. Yes, this modern time frame is disconcerting. But I am liking the show.

by Anonymousreply 13404/30/2013

Freddie Highmore is so adorable.

I want him to sit on my face and rock back and forth for a few hours.

by Anonymousreply 13504/30/2013

Bradley really was sorry about hurting Norman, like the oxygen tank girl said, Bradley is nice.

I love Norma's sudden freakouts.

by Anonymousreply 13604/30/2013

[QUOTE]I think Bradley and Dylan are gonna hook up. And maybe Norman will kill him over it? Dylan will die soon enough.

I thought the same thing...

by Anonymousreply 13704/30/2013

I'm pretty sure Bradley and Dylan have already hooked up and that that's what the eye shagging was about and Dylan's "sure" when Norman said Bradley had been too busy to text him back.

by Anonymousreply 13805/01/2013

She's not threatened by Emma because Emma will not live long and won't threaten her hold on Norman. She already knows Norman isn;t really into her. Bradley threatened her because she could have a real hold on Norman

I thought it was too contrived how all the crises that were building over the death of the original owner and then the deputy were just swept away in a two minute scene. Abrupt shift to the man in Room 9.

by Anonymousreply 13905/01/2013

I also think Norma doesn't want Norman to have a girlfriend because what if he flips and ends up hurting his girl etc. Which I thought he was when Bradly went after him last episode at the end. He was seconds away from doing something to her. Norma is trying to protect something else from happening.

by Anonymousreply 14005/01/2013

This show is a failure of concept. The show should have been a horror series, actually focusing on the motel. Maybe feature a new guest each week, and feature the Bates' more in that context.

Instead this show is trying to be some drama/thriller that feels too broad in scope.

by Anonymousreply 14105/01/2013

I disagree, r141, and they attempted that concept back in the 80s with a failed pilot also called "Bates Motel."

by Anonymousreply 14205/01/2013

I thought the whole Nestor Carbonell scene where he just gives them all an alibi didn't ring true at all.

I like the show but silly, convenient, out-of-character contrivances like that bother me.

A will be surprised if the cop stays dead, as he is one of the leads.

by Anonymousreply 14305/01/2013

This show could be so much better. Why does it feel like 12 year olds are writing it?

by Anonymousreply 14405/01/2013

[quote]A will be surprised if the cop stays dead, as he is one of the leads.

He already has a new gig. He's one of the leads of CBS' upcoming show "Under the Dome". It bypassed pilot and is going straight to series.

by Anonymousreply 14505/01/2013

Did anyone notice that in a lot of the scenes on the last episode it was raining. But only in the background, while the actors stayed dry. Does something like that come down to money?

by Anonymousreply 14605/01/2013

R146: I did notice that. At one point, it was raining heavily, but hadn't been the second before.

I'm guessing this is filmed in Vancouver, so they probably don't have to fake the rain all the time.

by Anonymousreply 14705/01/2013

[quote]I also think Norma doesn't want Norman to have a girlfriend because what if he flips and ends up hurting his girl etc. Which I thought he was when Bradly went after him last episode at the end. He was seconds away from doing something to her. Norma is trying to protect something else from happening.

It's funny -- the end of the previous episode seemed like it would flip a lot of Norma's behaviour on its ear, as you realized she wasn't just a possessive, borderline incestuous mother and was really trying to protect Norman from himself. And yet this week I didn't really see her any differently.

by Anonymousreply 14805/01/2013

it would be a mistake to have Norman do something violent now. It was much more interesting to have him lure the stray dog to feed it than it would have been to have him kill it (which I feared). Norman's violence has to be rare and justified. The audience is supposed to empathize with him. For now.

by Anonymousreply 14905/01/2013

So UNDER THE DOME won't be a straight thru mini series this summer? One of the reasons I putoff reading that 1,000 page book...

ain't nobody got time for that!

I assumed UNDER THE DOME would be a miniseries.

by Anonymousreply 15005/01/2013

[quote]So UNDER THE DOME won't be a straight thru mini series this summer? 13 episodes with a possibility for another series order if it does well.

by Anonymousreply 15105/02/2013

So I must have stepped away for a bit... How did Norma explain to Emma what happened to the Asian girl? What was Emma's reaction ? I missed that part? Or did Emma not ask?

by Anonymousreply 15205/02/2013

I don't think they mentioned what happened to the Asian girl at all...

Freddie really nails his character. I like Vera but don't think she is good at playing crazy she just has these shrill outbursts from time to time..

Bradley is around open windows alot sometimes all alone in a town with at least one murder a day??? Also her attraction to Norman never made any sense to me. Emma is great they better not hurt her..

by Anonymousreply 15305/02/2013

r152 here. Come on Norma told her we will go to the police the next day etc... then shit went down, she doesn't come over the next day and say Where is the girl? What happened? or had Emma heard already about everything that went down?

by Anonymousreply 15405/02/2013

Didn't Richard Alpert say to Norma that the Asian girl was shot by the blonde cop in the woods as she was trying to escape?

by Anonymousreply 15505/02/2013

R155- What if Nestor's character was in on the white slavery thing too? ThHis explanation about the shooting seemed too pat. Something didn't ring true.

by Anonymousreply 15605/02/2013

r153 = Helen Keller

by Anonymousreply 15705/02/2013

R156 I also think something's amiss with eyeliner guy. He didn't seem surprised about the news regarding what his partner had been up to. He skipped any reaction and went straight into damage control mode.

I think killing off Max would be like killing off Jesse in Breaking Bad - one bad move. Maybe we should send the writers some Max love letters.

by Anonymousreply 15805/02/2013

I think they wanted to get rid of that storyline as soon as possible. Notice how they didn't even show Max getting medical treatment just all of a sudden he was wearing a sling...

by Anonymousreply 15905/02/2013

What the fuck happened to the Asian girl?

And Norma lets people rent rooms without getting their names or money? Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 16105/06/2013

Bradley is one of the better actors on the show. I think I misjudged her.

I can't believe they killed the dog the first episode. Good shows let us fall in love with something before they kill it.

by Anonymousreply 16205/06/2013

I do, r129 - one of the first things I noticed. Can't wait for tonight's episode.

by Anonymousreply 16405/06/2013

WTF does Norma think she is--Nancy Drew-Kravitz?

by Anonymousreply 16505/06/2013

That guy in Room 9 is CREEPY. Anyone else think that the sheriff is head of the drug operation and the sex slave ring?

by Anonymousreply 16605/06/2013

R166 I think that is the OBVIOUS implication

by Anonymousreply 16705/07/2013

I think the sheriff is the head of the drug operation. I'm not so sure about the sex slaves, though he surely knows about it.

Norma's snooping was ridiculous, though she is insane enough to think she could do it. The scene in the sheriff's office shows she is bad at reading people but attempts to manipulate them anyway,

by Anonymousreply 16805/08/2013

this show would be a lot better without the crooked police force subplot. It's stupid they included that instead of making it a character story about how fucked up the family is.

by Anonymousreply 16905/09/2013

R169, I think all those "stupid" subplots all feed into Norma's rage-y,tearful statement 2 episodes ago, that her entire life, people around her "always get away with everything."

So far it *seems* kinda true, but it's interesting to see how Norma plays into situations that inevitably set her up to be a victim.

by Anonymousreply 17005/09/2013

Whose body was that at the end? Zack's?

by Anonymousreply 17105/09/2013

Yup the body was Zack's.

by Anonymousreply 17205/09/2013

The deputy was much hotter alive. I wouldn't have even recognized his corpse. Good thing they put that badge on his chest to make the connection.

by Anonymousreply 17305/09/2013

[quote]The deputy was much hotter alive. I wouldn't have even recognized his corpse.

I know, right?! I hate it when dead people let themselves go.

by Anonymousreply 17405/09/2013

Does everyone in the town have to be weird and criminal? It's not realistic.

by Anonymousreply 17505/09/2013

I love this show.

by Anonymousreply 17605/13/2013

Anyone think the teacher and Norman will get it on at some point?

by Anonymousreply 17705/13/2013

It's possible R177.

Norma cracked me up suddenly beating up that real estate agent. She's so random.

by Anonymousreply 17805/14/2013

I was never much of a fan of Vera Farmiga (she was good in that film where she played a heroine addict) but I absolutely love her in this.

by Anonymousreply 17905/14/2013

I've been watching the series from the start by dvr record so I can skip the credits and commercials.

This entire time I thought Norma was being played by Felicity Huffman. I finally read this thread and just found out it was Vera Farmiga. Am I the only one?

by Anonymousreply 18005/14/2013

R180, I thought the same thing and think I said it in this thread or another. They do have a very similar look.

by Anonymousreply 18105/14/2013

I still love this show but it has lost the edge that it had during the first few episodes. I hope creative creates more interesting stories for its next season that keeps me on the edge of my seat again.

by Anonymousreply 18205/14/2013

I like the Bradley character also but I hate CF/oxygen tank thing. Distracting and not in a good way. A few episodes back she running through the woods with it. Not very realistic.

by Anonymousreply 18305/14/2013

I thought CF Emma eating that pot muffin (cupcake?) was going to go somewhere either funny or creepy. But it went nowhere.

But I did kind of love Norma screaming at Norma that she's crazy. And she didn't react like it was an unexpected thing for him to call her.

Finale next week. I'm assuming there will be blood.

by Anonymousreply 18405/15/2013

Vera Farmiga was hysterical in this week's episode. Several scenes made me laugh out loud. I hope that was the intended effect.

by Anonymousreply 18505/15/2013

The Bradley character just seems too nice to be believed. Her immediate interest in Norman, and then her strong desire to get inside her father's office are entirely suspect. She must be duplicitous (sp?) but the show keeps selling her as nice and sweet. I don't get the writers plan for her at the moment. Maybe next season they'll start peeling back her layers to show what lies within.

by Anonymousreply 18605/15/2013

[quote]This entire time I thought Norma was being played by Felicity Huffman. I finally read this thread and just found out it was Vera Farmiga. Am I the only one?

Yes r180....Felicity is much older and a lot more shriveled than Vera.

by Anonymousreply 18705/17/2013

I think Bradley and Norman's brother are going to hook up and drive Norman even more nutso.

by Anonymousreply 18805/17/2013

Farmiga is great in reaction scenes. She can pull off looking both offended, hurt, and batshit crazy simultaneously.

by Anonymousreply 18905/17/2013

The writing for this show is pure shit. Horrible waste of talented actors. I tried giving it a chance, but it's just laughable. It always surprises me how much shit viewers accept as good television.

by Anonymousreply 19005/17/2013

A&E is running a marathon of the entire season tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 19105/18/2013

Dull, dull, dull. Farmiga must have been desperate.

by Anonymousreply 19205/18/2013

This show would be better if they had an entirely different premise and someone talented and at least passingly attractive was playing Norman. He is hard on the eyes and very one note.

by Anonymousreply 19305/18/2013

NOTE to Hollywood DO NOT hire writers from Lost !

I like the cast (with the exception of too sweet Bradley. Who names a girl Bradley anyway?)but the last episode almost lost me for good...

by Anonymousreply 19405/18/2013

Dylan and Bradley look like brother and sister.

by Anonymousreply 19505/19/2013

I agree with you R194, the writers from Lost need to go. I also like the cast except for Nicola Peltz who plays Bradley. Peltz's father is billionaire businessman Nelson Peltz, I suspect that has aided her quite a bit.

I predict that Dylan and Bradley will end up in a relationship next season and they will be killed by Norman. I still think Emma the CF girl will never be murdered, but she will end up dying to due to her illness. I think the set up is that she will be one of the few loyal friends that the Bates family has and only other female that Norma will like.

by Anonymousreply 19605/20/2013

Freddie Highmore grew up to be much cuter than I would have thought.

This is one of those so-obviously-filmed-in-Canada series; no small American town or American teenagers or American high school looks as cool and polished as the ones on this show.

by Anonymousreply 19705/20/2013

I want Freddie Highmore to SIT ON MY FACE NOW.

by Anonymousreply 19805/20/2013

where is it set?...was't the original Bates motel in california?

by Anonymousreply 19905/20/2013

This series is set in Oregon. The movie series was set in California.

by Anonymousreply 20005/20/2013

Oh shit! Great ending.

by Anonymousreply 20105/20/2013

The season finale was pretty decent.

by Anonymousreply 20205/20/2013

Finally, some Psycho!

by Anonymousreply 20305/20/2013

It was also interesting to get a more back story on this re imagining version of Norma. That back story will be brought up again.

by Anonymousreply 20405/20/2013

Whoever Eric is, he is fuuuuccckkked.

by Anonymousreply 20505/20/2013

The teacher had a charm that said "B" which is the same name on the letter to Bradley's father.

by Anonymousreply 20605/21/2013

Very good episode.

by Anonymousreply 20705/21/2013

True R205.

by Anonymousreply 20805/21/2013

The scary thing is how the show manages to get the viewer to care about Norman even though the viewer knows what a monster he turns out to be. Or is now.

by Anonymousreply 20905/21/2013

Best new show. Everyone is talking about it after the marathon this weekend. Vera is spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 21005/21/2013

OK, it took 13..? episodes but, we finally got the kicker in the very final scene. Great series that took it's sweet time to get going. Love Vera Farmiga as a 'woman unhinged.'

by Anonymousreply 21105/21/2013

I had no idea Olivia Cooke, who plays Emma, is British. Highmore I knew about.

by Anonymousreply 21205/21/2013

I think it was only ten episodes this season. Hopefully, there will be 13 next season...

by Anonymousreply 21305/21/2013

I hope they keep the taxidermied dog throughout the series.

by Anonymousreply 21405/21/2013

Dumb ending. Teacher's throat slit--obviously the boyfriend she was talking to on the phone.

by Anonymousreply 21505/21/2013

I just binge viewed this series. I loved it, especially Norma. I even liked the Dylan character for eye candy purposes. My only complaint was that it looked too Canadian. Hollywood really needs to leave Canada alone for a bit. Can it really be that much cheaper to shoot there?

by Anonymousreply 21606/24/2013

Dylan and Norman need to get it on.

by Anonymousreply 21706/24/2013

I binged watched it as well.

Vastly exceeded my expectations. Very strange, special series. A hell of an achievement to make you care so much about emotionally unstable, murderous people with no goal other than muddling through the mess that they continue to make for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 21806/24/2013

r1 TV is no longer a downgrade.

by Anonymousreply 21906/24/2013

Norma is kind of hilarious at times, like a loveable old crank.

Love the series but I hope it's building toward bigger stories that play out over an entire season rather than the several mini climaxes of season one.

by Anonymousreply 22006/24/2013

Even though it was set in the present day, there were these little vintage touches via wardrobe and language that made it seem period. Does that make sense?

by Anonymousreply 22106/24/2013

Yes, R221, like Norma's car. I've always wanted a Mercedes like that one.

by Anonymousreply 22206/24/2013

R221 I think they've done a fabulous job of keeping a timeless look to the series, while still setting it today. It's really remarkable how they pulled it off.

by Anonymousreply 22306/24/2013

Anyone got any dirt on Freddie Highmore? I heard he's bi.. is this true?

by Anonymousreply 22410/13/2013

Yes R1, television is no longer a downgrade. Just ask Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates, Angela Bassett. If anything, the talent on television is greatly outweighing the talent that passes for A-List or the movie blockbusters of today.

by Anonymousreply 22511/22/2013

I miss my scrumptious Max Thieriot.

by Anonymousreply 22611/23/2013

Is Bates Motel coming back this season? If so, when does it start?

by Anonymousreply 22701/14/2014

Yes. March 3rd

by Anonymousreply 22801/14/2014

I saw a preview clip for the new season. Looks like Norman has a male admirer. The clip shows Norman sitting next to a girl/guy couple; they've making out with the girl sitting on the guys lap. Mid-kiss, the guy reaches over and slides his hand up Norman's thigh. Norman jumps when the hand makes contact.

Will post the clip if I can find it.

by Anonymousreply 22901/14/2014

Found it.

by Anonymousreply 23001/14/2014

The first season is available free at

by Anonymousreply 23103/01/2014

Looks good.

by Anonymousreply 23203/02/2014

Hannibal is better.

by Anonymousreply 23303/02/2014

The new season starts tonight.

Right after Bates Motel, A & E is also showing Chloe Sevigny's new show, Those Who Kill. I watched it already. It's okay

by Anonymousreply 23403/03/2014

I missed the end. What happened?

by Anonymousreply 23504/21/2014

In the next to the last episode they showed a clip and Norma had her hair back like Norman's mother did on the movie Psycho. It wasn't pulled back as severely, but it was looser version of it. Her hair was pulled back

by Anonymousreply 23605/07/2014

Loved the finale. The incestuous overtones between Norma and Norman, especially the lingering kiss on the lips in the woods, were creepy as hell but I enjoyed it. Also enjoyed Christine calling Norma out for being a whack job bitch. Hope the drug subplots improve or even disappear next season. I really liked an idea one of the creators threw out in a recent interview to make the whole town like Twin Peaks, just full of weird creepy people and happenings.

Max Thieriot is hot but goddamn does he have a tiny mouth, it's very distracting.

by Anonymousreply 23705/07/2014

In the original Psycho why does Norman kill his mother? Why isn't he in prison?

(I forget)

by Anonymousreply 23805/07/2014

Norman killed his mother because she was too demanding, never satisfied with anything he did and drove him crazy.

He didn't go to prison because nobody but Norman knew his mother was dead.

by Anonymousreply 23905/07/2014

R236, they also had Norma in a rocking chair this episode.

by Anonymousreply 24005/07/2014

Well I guess we know what happens in the series finale. How long can they draw this out? Norman is already a murder suspect in one case and known to the police to be responsible for a second killing. That would not seem to leave them with much wiggle room, unless Romero decides to protect him.

by Anonymousreply 24105/07/2014

In the original movie the police think that Norma and her lover died in a murder-suicide. Norman must have stolen her body after burial or something, hence why she's not as well preserved as his other taxidermy.

by Anonymousreply 24205/07/2014

This season sucked overall. Luckily they wrapped everything up, especially that AWFUL drug storyline. And all new characters have either died or left so they get start fresh next season and get back to how the first season was.

by Anonymousreply 24305/07/2014

The first season was almost brought down by the silly human trafficking storyline. I liked the drug storyline this season, with the exception of Zane, who looked like a villain from a 90's kids tv show.

Surprised that they killed the drug baroness. Are any love interests going to survive?

I knew Christine was a cunt the second she first turned up onscreen. I foresee Norma killing her.

by Anonymousreply 24405/07/2014

"Max Thieriot is hot but goddamn does he have a tiny mouth, it's very distracting."

by Anonymousreply 24505/07/2014

Thieriot also squints quite a bit. I thought they were going to reveal that Dylan has been doing hard drugs, his mannerisms suggest that he is.

by Anonymousreply 24605/07/2014

Food isn't the problem.

by Anonymousreply 24705/07/2014

How long has Vera Farmiga been a producer on Bates Motel?

I think this increases her chances of winning an Emmy or other awards come awards season. If that "Good Wife" cunt wins any more awards, ugh.

by Anonymousreply 24805/08/2014

[quote]How long has Vera Farmiga been a producer on Bates Motel?

Since the start of season 2

by Anonymousreply 24905/08/2014

I've just finished watching the first season. Need to get onto the second season.

Max Thieriot is a cutie pie, tiny mouth and all.

by Anonymousreply 25011/06/2014

Why isn't season 2 on Netflix yet?

by Anonymousreply 25101/12/2015

March 9th - Season 3 premiere.

It looks like Norman is finally going to start being creepy.

by Anonymousreply 25202/20/2015

March 9th seems so far away! Can't wait. I originally thought this would be, 'blasphemy', but it's good. The kid is good.

by Anonymousreply 25302/20/2015

Vera Farmiga is the shit.

I wonder why she doesn't work more often - in more high profile movies.

by Anonymousreply 25402/28/2015

norman has a hot face

by Anonymousreply 25503/08/2015

OP there is NOTHING wrong with Prometheus--except for two scenes I would have edited out--when the geek discovers the white eel thing and when Idris gets with (ugh) Charlize. It has a great look and great sfx.

Bates is a good show, drags a little sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 25603/08/2015

I need Max in me, quite deeply.

by Anonymousreply 25703/08/2015

Norman and Dylan are both fucking adorable.

by Anonymousreply 25803/08/2015

whatwas the song norma sing broadway queens. "maybe this time, its going happen for me"

by Anonymousreply 25903/09/2015

R259 "Maybe this Time" which John Kander and Fred Ebb wrote for Liza Minnelli. It was on one of her early 60's Capitol Records album. When the movie CABARET came along, the song was added. It is now associated with that show and is used in the current Roundabout revival of CABARET.

by Anonymousreply 26003/09/2015

thanks r260. you're a sweety. Gunner wants to fit his meat in Dylan's tiny mouth. he wants to be his super fuck twink.

by Anonymousreply 26103/09/2015

dylan has gotten fat

by Anonymousreply 26203/09/2015

Dylan and Guyliner Sheriff should get together

by Anonymousreply 26303/09/2015

I hope the season keeps pace with the season premiere. We need more crazy Norma and crazy Norman. At least they're finally beginning to advance the warped relationship between the two, even if it's only happening in the other's mind.

by Anonymousreply 26403/10/2015

I don't like them cuddling in bed together. Of course they have to go there though.

I want more Emma!

by Anonymousreply 26503/10/2015

Emma reminds me of Winona Ryder. Lovely and interesting.

by Anonymousreply 26603/11/2015

Finally some creepy Norman Bates stuff!

Not necessarily nefarious yet, but Norman in his mom's robe thinking he was Norma while making breakfast for Dylan was crazy.

I think Uncle Rapist is in some serious danger.

Poor Emma should get far far away from this freak-show family.

by Anonymousreply 26704/16/2015

Tonight, while enjoying a lovely ballet, it HIT me. DO NOT read any further if you don't want to have the secret of the Bates Motel revealed to you.

I had been frustrated that the series is NOTHING like the movie, until I realized...that the character of Norman Bates is EXACTLY like the Norman in the movie.

Norman spends an awful lot of time in the basement, stuffing dead things. Remember who was in the basement the first time around?

Norman has "blackouts," during which horrible things happen to the girls he finds attractive.

Norman and Norma never appear together with another character - it's always Norman and Norma alone together, or one or the other with other characters.

Norman killed his mother, and assumed her identity. The "mother" part of Norman's brain is responsible for the horrible deaths of those girls - Emma is in danger, but ... are the people of White Pine Bay reacting to a teenage boy in a dress, or are we seeing what he wants to project?

Caleb is the husband that Norma says she killed. (Parse that out - Caleb is the boys' father, Norma is the dead one, NOT Caleb - the scene in which Caleb apologized to Norma? He was apologizing to his son! That was Norman! In drag!!

I can't wait to watch the series from the beginning again, now that I've had this revelation.

Whaddya think??

by Anonymousreply 26804/16/2015

First off, r268, I'm not sure it counts as a Spoiler that you are giving your theory on the story. A "spoiler" would be if you had access to information that the general viewer of the show doesn't - like if you had seen episodes in advance.

About your theory - the 4 Psycho movies do offer some slightly different family dynamics, but all of them have the overriding concept that Norman eventually kills Norma and has a mental break where his personality vacillates between being her (including dressing as her) and being himself.

So that fact already exists in the Psycho 'universe.' Although the premise behind Bates Motel is that it hasn't happened yet and we are seeing things that lead up to the matricide.

So are you saying that you believe in the series as we watch it now, Norma is already dead and all the scenes of Vera Farmiga are actually Norman dressed up as her (as Norman would visualize it)? And the family and friends and everyone in the town are just playing along to not make a big deal about Norman's mental problems?

In the last episode we actually saw this play out, at least a little bit. It was the first time on the show that Norman dressed as and acted as Norma when he was making breakfast for the boys. Stunned Dylan didn't overreact to it, but he did react as though Norman's behavior was bizarre.

[quote]Norman and Norma never appear together with another character - it's always Norman and Norma alone together, or one or the other with other characters.

That's not true in the series at all. Norman and Norma are together with people many times throughout the seasons - with the sheriff, with Emma, etc. Just the final scene of the most recent episode (which I bring up because it's still clear in my mind) when Norma confronted her brother/rapist while Dylan and Norman tried to stop her from doing something crazy... for lack of a better word.

I also don't see how you can think that all of the involvements Norma has had in the town with the politicians and the drug dealers and sleeping with Mike Vogel could all be Norman in a dress.

by Anonymousreply 26904/16/2015

They finally went there with Norman cross dressing and it was done very well, creepy and effective. If I were Dylan that would be the point I got the fuck away from these crazies and never looked back.

Vera Farmiga deserves an Emmy nom and possibly win for her work so far this season.

Max Thieriot was looking on point this episode and needs to get his kit off again post haste.

The scene with the sheriff in the parking lot was crazy. Shocks like this are why I love this show.

by Anonymousreply 27004/17/2015

Damn the creep factor is seriously starting to grow on this show!

The closing scene of Norman stroking Norma's body while she was sleeping was... something else.

Norma's brother bringing her flowers and a nice card could just be thoughtful, except that he was presenting it to her like he wants to date her.

by Anonymousreply 27104/21/2015

Straight Freddie Highmore is the cover boy for the new Attitude Magazine.

by Anonymousreply 27204/25/2015

Freddie's hot! Who's had him?

by Anonymousreply 27304/25/2015

That girl that showed up at the very end of the episode this week... was that the girl with a guy's name? Bradley or something like that?

And did she run over the dog with her car? I wasn't even paying attention to why she was stopped in the road when I was trying to figure out who she is.

by Anonymousreply 27405/01/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!