Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jeb Bush: 'History will be kind to my brother'

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush says that the public will view his older brother, former president George W. Bush, more favorably as time passes.

"In (my father's) four years as president a lot of amazing accomplishments took place," said Jeb Bush, the son of former President George H.W. Bush, during an interview on NBC's Meet the Press. "So my guess is that history will be kind to my brother, the further out you get from this and the more people compare his tenure to what's going on now."

The 43rd president has largely stayed out of the spotlight since leaving office. After presiding over broad public discontent over the Iraq War and a flailing economy, George W. Bush left the White House with poor approval ratings and was notably unpopular even within his own party.

Jeb Bush said he hasn't yet spoken to their famous parents about the idea of his own 2016 run.

"I don't want to begin the process to think about it until it's the proper time to do so," he said.

Jeb Bush was interviewed on NBC as a part of a media blitz to promote his new book, 'Immigration Wars: Forging an American Solution."

He has come under fire this week for failing to include a path to citizenship for unauthorized immigrants in his proposed immigration plan, a turnaround from his previous embrace of that proposal.

He acknowledged Sunday that he could still back a plan that includes a path to citizenship but said that his book was intended to offer a reform plan that conservatives strongly opposed to "amnesty" could still support.

"If they can find a way to get to a path to citizenship over the long haul, then I would support that," he said of ongoing bipartisan negotiators on the reform effort. "But this book was written to try to get people that were against reform to be for it. And it is a place where I think a lot of conservatives should feel comfortable, that there's a way to do this and not violate their principles."

Asked whether or not he thinks he is more likely than his fellow immigration reform advocate and Floridian Republican Sen. Marco Rubio to end up in the Oval Office, Bush poked fun at "addicts" of political journalism.

"You guys are crack addicts," he told host David Gregory. (He later jokingly corrected that characterization to "heroin addicts.") "You really are obsessed with all this politics."

by Anonymousreply 17010/29/2014

It's true. Almost everyone's completely forgot about him (except all the people of Iraq). According to the republican party he doesn't even exist

by Anonymousreply 103/11/2013

I'm offended that that cunt Jeb even appears in public. His family destroyed an entire country - he should be ashamed to exist.

by Anonymousreply 203/11/2013

They're trying to build him up for 2016.

by Anonymousreply 303/11/2013

His brother made the Bush surname toxic!

Is he living in a Republican echo chamber?

No Bush can win a national election ever again.

by Anonymousreply 403/11/2013

Thanks, r4. My sentiments exactly.

by Anonymousreply 503/11/2013

I'm sure Jeb hopes that will be true. I doubt it.

The only reason we don't hear a lot about GWB right now is because he's laying low.

I figure once Daddy Bush dies and the truth about him finally starts coming out, GWB will be in for it all over again.

by Anonymousreply 603/11/2013

Lets see

- he failed to prevent the biggest terrorist attack on the US

- he lied about the non existence weapons of mass destruction in Iraq resulting in a war that cost over $3 trillion and the death of 160 000 civilians and soldiers

- he was completely incompetent during the Hurricane Katrina disaster

- he did next to nothing to prevent the biggest global financial crisis

I hope he rots in hell

by Anonymousreply 703/11/2013

I'm actually disgusted that GWB hasn't gotten a lot more shit (probably why's he lay so low for so long). We've been too kind to him. His presidency really was a disaster and handed us so many long-term problems to do with.

by Anonymousreply 803/11/2013

Honey, did Jeb Bush leave here with my Etch A Sketch?

by Anonymousreply 903/11/2013

I'm sorry, but that ship has sailed.

by Anonymousreply 1003/11/2013

History will not be kind to his brother. Why would it be? What accomplishment can he claim other than ruinous debt, terrorism at home (despite warnings) and the tragedy of Iraq? Other than his aid to Africa for AIDS, there is nothing that can redeem him.

by Anonymousreply 1103/11/2013

[quote]"I don't want to begin the process to think about it until it's the proper time to do so," he said.

IOW, he's already been thinking about the "proper time" to announce that he's running for office.

No doubt, he'll be President. Between the stupid people who will vote for him and the Roveian deals on voting machines, he'll end up in the Oval Office.

by Anonymousreply 1203/11/2013

R12, we were told in 2008 & 2012 that there would be "Roveian deals" that would put McCain & Romney into office and it didn't happen.

And If Hillary runs in 2016, she will beat Bush.

by Anonymousreply 1303/11/2013

To quote the queen of cunts Ann Coulter, "I don't think any attendee at CPAC is sitting on the edge of his seat hoping a Bush will throw his hat in the ring."

So even THEY know the toxicity of the name.

by Anonymousreply 1403/11/2013

They did it successfully with Reagan. I'm sure they'll distort history, and turn Bush's War On Terror was making the world a safer place. 'Had it not been for Bush, Osama bin Laden's capture wouldn't have been made possible. He was on the run.'

I'm telling you, Republicans are masters at rewriting history, and have the public lap it up.

by Anonymousreply 1503/11/2013

"And If Hillary runs in 2016, she will beat Bush."

I think Hillary can already count on the butch lesbian vote.

by Anonymousreply 1703/11/2013

[quote]Jeb Bush: 'History will be kind to my brother'

I think the word "NOT" is missing from that quote.

by Anonymousreply 1803/11/2013

Wow. Unbelievable hubris. Someone who can out-Romney Romney. Did not think it was possible.

You almost have to admire his ability to push his head so far up his own ass. He's doing his own little campaign because the Republican party is smart enough to stay away from him.

But, of course, being a Bush - he knows better. He's taking it upon himself to push the viewpoint his bro wasn't so bad. Therefore, what's one more Bush president?

I can't believe the stupid twit has the balls to put himself up for it. Truly repulsive family. Everyone last one of them.

by Anonymousreply 1903/11/2013

Is there a medical term for what Jeb Bush suffers from? "The Bush Delusion" or something? Clearly he has a mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 2003/11/2013

Yeah. Except, no.

by Anonymousreply 2103/11/2013

If there's a next time he should be pressed hard on precisely what 'History' will find to be kind about.

I imagine it'll be like the search for weapons of mass destruction. And appropriately, GWB later played that non-discovery for laughs.

by Anonymousreply 2203/11/2013

The whole Bush clan should be hauled out to the public square and stoned, vile creatures.

by Anonymousreply 2303/11/2013

Well, at least in Texas schoolbooks.

by Anonymousreply 2403/11/2013

JEB was down at the Biltmore Hotel in Miami for a Republican gabfest last week, along with Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, and roly-poly Chris Christie.

by Anonymousreply 2503/11/2013

I think Ted Cruz channels Joe McCarthy. Anybody else get this feeling?

Scary guy.

by Anonymousreply 2603/11/2013

between Poppy and Jeb Bush they are trying to rewrite history in order to position Jeb for the WH in 2016.

If ever there was a "must be stopped" it is this fuckwit.

George W. Bush = most destructive president in US History. On every level he fucked the nation, abroad, domestic. Just a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 2703/11/2013

Does he mean "history will be kind to my brother" in a "well, he was a terrible president, but, you have to remember he had an IQ of minus 40, was a dry drunk and had NPD" kind of way...

"a lot of amazing accomplishments took place"

Yes - he managed to get re-elected. Beyond that...........

Nope, I'm coming up dry...

by Anonymousreply 2803/11/2013

He's not as dangerous as Romney, even today. We can handle the Bush clan.

by Anonymousreply 2903/11/2013

By leaving him out of the history books? Cuz that's the only way that will happen!

by Anonymousreply 3003/11/2013

W will go down in history as the most hated president. JB is delusional if he thinks otherwise. It does sound like he's positioning himself for 2016.

by Anonymousreply 3103/11/2013

Meanwhile, 9/11 engineer Marvin Bush remains invisible and still corrupt.

by Anonymousreply 3203/11/2013

Jeb is too meek and effete to ever be POTUS. He's more like his dad and shrub is like Barbara. But he (fortunately) won't ever have anything like his dad had: the Reagan administration as a launch pad.

by Anonymousreply 3303/11/2013

Like Herbert Hoover he'll be remembered.

by Anonymousreply 3403/11/2013

History won't forget Dubya. He's right up there with Warren Harding as the worst President. Of course, Pickles can't even begin to compete with Florence Harding for worst First Lady.

by Anonymousreply 3503/11/2013

George W Bush had the worst presidency for this country since Hoover. He just did.

There is a reason he left office with terrible approval ratings and the Republican Party tries to act as if he didn't exist.

History will be no kinder.

by Anonymousreply 3603/11/2013

What did Hoover do, R36?

When I was in 8th grade I bullshitted a high school entrance exam question - Who was the greatest president alive and why? I don't know why but I answered Hoover. I can't imagine I new a thing about him. I got accepted though. They probably gave me bonus points for not picking Licoln, Jefferson, or Washington.

W is poison. As soon as his name is brought up people remember all the bullshit and his Bushims. He probably declined to go to Obama's Inauguration fearing he'd be booed by the thongs. A friend who attended Obama's first inauguration mentioned they saw a chopper taking off with W and the crowd immediately gave him the finger as he left.

by Anonymousreply 3703/11/2013

"booed by the thongs"

I understand they do that to boxers and briefs a lot just for being too big.

by Anonymousreply 3803/11/2013

What did Hoover do?

The great depression started under his watch. I believe he tried minimal things to mitigate the effects, but to no avail.

My grandmother sat me down when it came time for me to register to vote and told me no republican would be accepted into my mother's side of the family (save my father) and Hoover was the first reason she gave as to why.

by Anonymousreply 3903/11/2013

Oh go away, R40. You're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 4103/11/2013

Deluded, loser ^

by Anonymousreply 4203/11/2013

I rimmed dick cheney after he at a chili dog and taco bell!

by Anonymousreply 4303/11/2013

The President who started a war resulting in injury and death to thousands of American soldiers went AWOL from the Texas Air National Guard, had no Honorable Discharge, hid all copies of his DD214 record of service, and is a military deserter.

That history can't be changed.

by Anonymousreply 4403/11/2013

The only way "history" will be kind to George W. Bush is if history is made the exclusive domain of government propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 4503/11/2013

I can't believe he made a crack joke when his daughter is a famous crack addict

[quote]Noelle Bush, the crack-smoking daughter of Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and niece of Pres. George W. Bush, was first caught breaking the law for unsuccessfully trying to fill a XANAX prescription under a false name. Things really turned to shit for her-and her mortified father-when she was sentenced to check into an Orlando rehab facility. While there, Noelle was caught stealing prescription pills from the nurse's office and hiding crack in her shoe, for which she served 10 days in jail. One positive thing did come out of Noelle's ordeal: The president, as he so often does, issued her a folksy nickname: "Crackie."

by Anonymousreply 4603/11/2013

George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Karl Rove, Condoleeza Rice, Donald Rumsfeld and John Ashcroft should ALL stand trial before The Hague for crimes against humanity and international war manipulation.

The cost of human life that these monsters have caused because of their war profiteering will go down as one of the most horrific policies that was ever implemented in this country's name. 50 years from now when the TRUTH about all of this is finally revealed, future generations will say "I wonder why no one did anything?" like we currently ask about governments during the lead up to WWII.

The only reason why I leave Colin Powell off this list is because I genuinely believe he was used as a pawn and a scapegoat for BushCo's agenda. I don't think he was privy to the actual truth behind 9/11 or the two subsequent wars-for-profit that followed. I believe this because his exit from the White House was one of disgust and he has publicly thrown in his chips with Obama and the GOP has made him persona non grata.

by Anonymousreply 4703/11/2013

Jeb has it backwards. People are finally waking up to just how horrible the Dubya years were. History will have all the details.

by Anonymousreply 4803/11/2013

No, if anything history is going to treat him as he was not treated by the pitiful US media when he was president - it will savage him and mock him. He is already regarded as the worst president ever. Nixon and Harding look law abiding and competent in comparison. But history will be far harsher. He will be remembered alongside Caligula and King Ludwig II, only for being stupid and evil instead of insane and evil.

History is not going to be kind to Obama either. The novelty of being a black president is not going to make up for illegal drone strikes, ripping up the Constitution, and failure to prosecute bank criminals.

by Anonymousreply 4903/11/2013

History will be a lot better to Obama than you think, R49.

by Anonymousreply 5003/11/2013

I love these impossible-to-prove predictions.

Meanwhile, Obama is raked over the coals for not IMMEDIATELY improving everything Bush destroyed.

by Anonymousreply 5103/11/2013

R49 is a moron and either a homophobe or a Log Cabinette, if there is a distinction.

by Anonymousreply 5203/11/2013

Hoover had many redeeming qualities. He is best known for his humanitarian work feeding the Russians after the Russian Revolution in 1917. Russia was facing massive famine in the aftermath of the revolution and he lead the largest food airlift project in history at the time to feed the starving. Personally, he was fabulously wealthy having made his fortune as a mining executive and earlier as an engineer. During his Presidency he paid for all White House entertainment out of his own pocket. And contrary to today's Republicans who are so afraid of taxing the rich, during his administration (1928-1932) the top income tax bracket was actually raised to 63% compared to 39.6% which is the top rate today. Some conservatives argue that this tax increase precipitated the Great Depression, but in reality the Hawley-Smoot Tariff Act(1930) ended up being more pernicious and slowed the American economy much more than the tax increases on the rich.

On the bad side, Hoover is known for the debacle of the Bonus Army where he ordered the military to fire on former WWI veterans who descended on D.C. to protest for the bonus pension funds that the military had promised soldiers for serving during the War. Hoover refused to pay the soldiers their bonus and called in the military to have them forcibly removed from the capital. General Eisenhower was part of the brigade who was tasked with the removal of the troops from D.C. Ultimately Congress overruled Hoover's refusal to pay the Bonus Army, but it was a decidedly black mark on his Presidency. One could argue that his refusal to pay out the bonus was a means of demonstrating civilian authority over the nation's military by not caving to the demands of renegade soldiers, where today the military/industrial complex calls the shots and the civilian legislature meekly acquiesces to their every wish. I can understand his reasoning given today's reality but things were different then it was a shitty thing to open fire on war veterans who served their country.

by Anonymousreply 5303/11/2013

R47, Colin Powell knew EXACTLY what he was doing. Remember Wilkerson talking about Powell losing his temper and saying "this is crap" referring to the "proof" he was given to take to the UN. And then there was him talking about Saddam not being a threat of having WMDs in 2001.

Powell is probably even guiltier than Bush, who was so dumb he probably believed what Uncle Dick told him.

by Anonymousreply 5403/11/2013

R47, I think at least one of the Nordic countries has issued warrants for some of those monsters. Of course, it's a known fact, so none of them will ever set foot there, but it would be awesome if more countries took a stand.

I understand why the US will never bring those criminals up on charges, but what's stopping the UN?

by Anonymousreply 5503/11/2013

Dick Cheney needs to be held accountable, and assets stripped.

by Anonymousreply 5603/11/2013

No, R50, it won't. Obama is a terrible president by almost any measure. He's left the US vulnerable to another economic collapse, he's increased the hatred toward the US abroad with his drone strikes and prolongation of the Bush wars. He's out to do what Bush couldn't do - cut Social Security and Medicare, and has been trying to do so since he took office in 2009. Obamacare will be a flop since the one hope of containing costs - public option and competitive bidding for pharmaceuticals - Obama himself took off the table in a unilateral first strike surrender. His destruction of the Constitution - well when a nutjob like Rand Paul looks like a heroic statesman because of your assaults on the Constitution, then you are in a world of hurt where history is concerned.

He's not at all who you think he is. He's a right wing Republican.

by Anonymousreply 5703/11/2013

Does it actually hurt to be that crazy, R57?

by Anonymousreply 5803/11/2013

Yes, it will, R57. Name the last president who did anything significant for gay people.

Remember, dear, this is a gay board. Take your straight pussylicking elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 5903/11/2013

R57 is satire, right? I hate the drone strikes, but the idea that O wants to destroy the social safety net is batshit crazy.

by Anonymousreply 6003/11/2013

r48's got it. History will be increasingly unkind to GWB.

by Anonymousreply 6103/11/2013

Obama will go down in history as one of our greatest presidents.

I'm not a huge fan of his. I've just been watching politics closely for 40 years.

by Anonymousreply 6203/11/2013

Aside from the Big Lie/Delusion, the Bushes are very weirdly "familial" with the rest of us, to wit: "my brother" instead of "President George Bush, my brother"; "my boy," said of the man in his 60's by his elderly parents.

The entire family feels entitled, acts boldly, and breaks laws when they feel like it (from Grampy Prescott the Nazi to the Iran-Contra Poppy to the thieving Mrs. Jeb and S&L Neil to the war criminal drunkard AWOL Dubya to the stalker grandson).

by Anonymousreply 6303/11/2013

[quote]On the bad side, Hoover is known for the debacle of the Bonus Army where he ordered the military to fire on former WWI veterans

NO! NO! NO!

In the spirit of "The buck stops here," he had to shoulder responsibility for that event but he did not order the military to fire on the veterans. That was the result of Douglas MacArthur disobeying the orders of the President.

by Anonymousreply 6403/11/2013

R57, the main difference between Obama and Bush is that Bush was able to hang himself with the very eager blessing of the Senate and Congress. He was given full reign. "You're either with us or against us."

I've been pretty unhappy with Obama's handling of Wall Street and the environment, but I recognize the Congress has been there to block everything.

by Anonymousreply 6503/11/2013

These people are so fucking odd. What kind of mentality does it take to think that having three members of one immediate family is the American way?

by Anonymousreply 6603/11/2013

In the spring and summer of 1932 some twenty thousand unemployed World War I veterans marched on Washington to demand the immediate payment of a long debated bonus for their services in France. They pitched a makeshift camp across the Potomac on the Anacostia Flat and sent flying columns into the city to demonstrate in front of the White House and other government buildings.

First Lady Lou Hoover sent supplies of coffee and sandwiches to the veterans, but the President decided sterner tactics were in order.

With strict instructions to avoid bloodshed, President Hoover ordered the U.S. Army's chief of staff, Gen. Douglas MacArthur, to disperse the marches. MacArthur assembled a thousand men, including a detachment of saber-wielding troopers from the Third Cavalry and six tanks, to assault the unarmed veterans. The only military man with any common sense was MacArthur's aide, Dwight Eisenhower, who advised the chief of staff to play down the operation.

Instead, MacArthur, justifying all the things President Harry Truman said about him twenty years later, reveled in the chance to seize the spotlight. When Herbert Hoover decided a show of force was enough to disperse the marchers, and ordered the troops not to cross the bridge to Anacostia, MacArthur flagrantly disobeyed a President for the first but not the last time.

The general sent his men surging into the encampment, which they put to the torch. In the melee a child was badly injured and later died.

Hoover, completely unaware of any injuries and that his orders had been flouted, announced he was "pleased" by the results --- hammering the final nail in the coffin of his reputation.

by Anonymousreply 6703/11/2013

I bet the Bushes believe they are "America's Family" and feel some sort of deluded entitlement to the White House. To me, Jeb is worse than Dubya because Jeb actually has a brain to get more evil shit done.

Somebody needs to spill the beans on the Bush family's corruption. Preferably the long suffering Sharon Bush who has no love for Barb and the gang. That would be fabulous, wouldn't it?

by Anonymousreply 6803/11/2013

"What kind of mentality does it take to think that having three members of one immediate family is the American way?"

I agree. A family should have no more than one child and only if the parents can afford to care for and rear that child properly.

by Anonymousreply 6903/11/2013

Sharon unfolded a sordid tale of the men in the Bush family and the unfortunate women who married them: her husband's use of prostitutes during his trips to Asia; his sexually transmitted disease; the extramarital affairs of Jeb Bush; and the drug use of other members of the family, including the President. Sharon Bush alleged that George W. had snorted cocaine with one of his brothers at Camp David during the time their father was president. Not once, she said, but many times. "This is a family of alcoholism, drug addiction and even schizophrenia," she claimed.

She returned again and again to the role of her rich and powerful in-laws who, she felt, were forcing her to beg for her life.

"I know you think the Bushes are such a good family, that they believe in God and all his teachings . . . I used to believe that about them, too, but I now know that they don't practise what they preach."

I, too, learned a lesson writing about this family. Some days I felt like Alice in Wonderland because what I uncovered seemed unreal and did not square with established perceptions. I began second-guessing myself, asking: "How can this be true?" I watched people cringe with fear and others fall under the spell of the family's power and influence. Then I remembered the line spoken by the actor Melvyn Douglas in the movie Hud about the mesmerising power of public image: "Little by little the country changes just by looking at the men we admire."

by Anonymousreply 7003/11/2013

The good news is that after 2008, I don't think anyone looks at the House of Bush and thinks "Good, upstanding Christian family".

Now, even most laypeople know Barbara Bush for the "hell hound in pearls" that she is. She's lost the pleasant granny persona that she once had as First Lady.

The only way Jeb could ever become President is if he changed his name and got a complete face transplant.

by Anonymousreply 7103/11/2013

Oooh, I wonder which one of the Bushes is schizophrenic.

by Anonymousreply 7203/11/2013

[quote]Now, even most laypeople know Barbara Bush for the "hell hound in pearls" that she is. She's lost the pleasant granny persona that she once had as First Lady.

How and where is this happening? I've never heard a word against her except at DataLounge. I can't stand her but am not blind to the fact that she still has good p.r. going.

Just because we don't like her doesn't mean the immediate world has a bad impression of the bitch.

by Anonymousreply 7303/11/2013

r73, google her name and weigh the negative mentions with the positive ones. After the infamous Katrina comment, her reputation has been shot.

It's not just gays who dislike her, she's pissed off the overall liberal community as a whole.

by Anonymousreply 7403/11/2013

r75

You need to except the fact that Barbara Bush is a pearl-wearing hound from hell.

by Anonymousreply 7603/11/2013

Hoover was a terrible president. And a crook.

by Anonymousreply 7703/11/2013

r75 = Pappy Bush.

This isn't the right message board for you, hun.

Go run along now, ya hear!

by Anonymousreply 7803/11/2013

Headline November 9th, 2016:

Clinton fucks Bush AGAIN!

by Anonymousreply 7903/11/2013

[quote]You need to except the fact..

Oh, Dear! That isn't an exceptional thought. You'll have to learn to accept that fact, r76.

by Anonymousreply 8003/11/2013

History would only have been kind to his brother if there was a Presidenet Romney

by Anonymousreply 8103/11/2013

The Smoot-Hawley tariff didn't do diddly squat to the U.S. economy, since trade was not a very important part of it at that time.

Hoover offered to help Russia in 1919 but only if America were given control of the railway lines to distribute the food (at a time when an American army was aiding the whites in Siberia). Russia refused. In 1921, ARA was brought into international relief efforts, but it wasn't Hoover but U.S. Congress that voted and funded the aid.

by Anonymousreply 8203/11/2013

Within 100,000 years, people will have forgotten what a clown George W. Bush was.

by Anonymousreply 8303/11/2013

In defense of Hoover, he was wrong about a lot of domestic issues, but he was no where near as evil or horrible as Bush. And he and his wife were both very smart people. They met studying geography at Stanford. He not only did he oversaw food distribution after WWI in Europe, but he was asked to do the same thing by Truman and did it again, at an advanced age.

Think for a moment of something substitutable that a future President could ask of GWB... I can't think of a single thing.

He will be judged harshly.

by Anonymousreply 8403/11/2013

r81 Did you forget that Palin was never running for President? or did you already forget your history?

by Anonymousreply 8603/11/2013

There is an "if" in the sentence, R86. Who knows, maybe she will run in the future.

by Anonymousreply 8703/11/2013

[quote]R75 = Pappy Bush. This isn't the right message board for you, hun.

Take your "Pappy Bush" and shove it where the sun don't shine, r78. You sound like some moronic 7th grade passaround girl who is too ignorant to have ever passed a history test beyond grade 3.

Barbara Bush may be the biggest cunt in Texas, but the FACT is that she still elicits positive publicity. You were too stupid to think anyone would take your Google suggestion and discover that you're a liar.

by Anonymousreply 8803/11/2013

The Bush Economic Disaster

Perhaps it is a little unfair to George W. Bush to name it that, perhaps a more accurate term would be the Reagan/Bush Economic Disaster. Though the damage all came to a head in 2008, it was set in place by the bill of goods sold to the American People by smooth talking right wing pitch man Ronald Reagan in 1980. Reaganomics once refereed to as "voodoo economics" by George H. W. Bush was put in place that eventually lead to the disaster of last year.

by Anonymousreply 8903/11/2013

I don't think people were postive re Babs Bush - she seemed quite cold and unsmiling and kind of scary.

by Anonymousreply 9003/11/2013

President Truman held Hoover in very high regard. In May 1945, the war in the Pacific was still raging but Truman knew that Europe needed help. He wrote Mr. Hoover "I would be most happy to talk over the European food situation with you. Also it would be a pleasure for me to become acquainted with you."

That began a friendship that brought Herbert Hoover back to Washington to help feed more millions of destitute people at the end of World War II and, later, to reorganize the executive branch of the federal government.

by Anonymousreply 9103/11/2013

R87 She would be a bigger fool than already perceived to be if Palin did. She would NEVER EVER have a shot at the White House.

by Anonymousreply 9203/11/2013

R73, I know plenty of people outside of Datalounge who despise Barbara Bush. Her comments during the Iraq invasion that she wouldn't waste her beautiful mind on watching the news, and "these people are much better off" while visiting the Hurricane Katrina refugees, both brought her a lot of negative attention. And everyone now knows Nixon's famous admiration of her for "knowing how to hate". The veil on her nastiness was lifted long ago.

by Anonymousreply 9303/11/2013

Of course he did. Truman was a prodigy of the corrupt Pendergast machine, Hoover made his money stealing mineral wealth from Asian countries (and Australia).

by Anonymousreply 9403/11/2013

Jeb Bush is delusional.

by Anonymousreply 9503/11/2013

Lou Henry was the first woman to get a geology degree from Stanford. She married Herbert Hoover, a fellow geology major in 1899 and followed him around the world while he amassed a fortune as a mining engineer. When World War I broke out, the Hoovers were living in London. Together they hurled themselves into the chaos that erupted, helping over 120,000 Americans fleeing the war zone to get back to the United States. All told, they loaned these often frantic fugitives $1.5 million out of their own pockets - the equivalent of more than a hundred million today. All but $300 was repaid, forever convincing them, Herbert Hoover liked to say, of the basic honesty of ordinary Americans.

by Anonymousreply 9603/11/2013

Well Reagan ran for president in 1968 and didn't get anywhere, but didn't give up, R92. People assumed he was too dumb, crazy and too right-wing to actually become president.

by Anonymousreply 9703/11/2013

They lent money to a few already rich people. They did not loan money to ordinary Americans. Some of you have really drunk the Kool-Aid with regard to the Hoovers. Hoover was a classic sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 9803/11/2013

When America entered the war in 1917, President Woodrow Wilson brought Herbert Hoover back to America and put him in charge of the Food Administration. His job was to persuade Americans to produce more and eat less, so the U.S. could rescue England and France from starvation. After the war, he accepted more international relief assignments, funneling millions of tons of food to the starving women and children of Germany, Eastern Europe and Russia. By 1920, The New York Times ranked Hoover among the greatest living Americans.

by Anonymousreply 9903/11/2013

The Hoovers were both very learned and accomplished people. I believe they both spoke Mandarin as well! Certainly Herbert Hoover had the best CV of any candidate running for President in the 20th century.

Harry Truman did not so much admire Hoover, but felt it a very poor precedent to have a former living President held in such low regard, especially given the overwhelming historical circumstances brought on by the Depression. He also knew of Hoover's distinct areas of expertise. It was a smart and gracious move by Truman.

by Anonymousreply 10003/11/2013

When Warren Harding was Senator, he was less than enthusiastic about running for President. He had no great opinion of his talents, in fact, he was a modest man, aware of his limitations. He was also lazy. He spent a lot more time on his extramarital affairs than he devoted to politics. While Senator, he was conducting two of them, one with his long-running flame, Carrie Phillips, the other with Nan Britton, a curvaceous twenty-something blonde who bore him an illegitimate child in 1919. No wonder Warren missed two-thirds of the votes in his five years in the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 10103/11/2013

Hoover's first break came not in mining, but in management, when he was able to arrange to import Italian workers to break a union in Western Australia. Then he was sent to China, where he arranged to ship 50,000 Chinese workers to South Africa to work in mines there. These twin coups gave him a partnership in a British mining company. As part of that he co-founded the Zinc Corporation to recovery metals from the tailings at Broken Hill, Australia. He also engineered a failed attempt to stock fraud to control of Broken Hill Proprietary Ltd. Zinc did introduce new methods and made some money (today it is called Rio Tinto Zinc). But Hoover's personal fortune was made when the British government invited him to examine old mine tailings they had found in northern Burma representing some ancient Chinese mines. Hoover saw the tailings and mines could be worked to profit and immediately founded a company to work them. While the company was successful, he was able to derive his fortune from it by a creative stock swindle and some creative shell-company work to evade Britain's "excess profits" tax on mines. As a mining engineer he never found anything, and the technology to exploit his finds came from others. It was in stock fraud and union-busting that his expertise lay.

by Anonymousreply 10203/11/2013

Florence Harding became the first President's wife to demand her own Secret Service agent. He was acquired not to protect her but to keep Warren's remaining inamorata, Nan Britton, out of the White House.

The agent didn't do a very good job. According to the bestseller Nan wrote a few years later, she swiftly established communication with Warren via the US mail, and soon he was sneaking her into the Oval Office, where they enjoyed themselves in a five-foot-square clothes closet.

Now, if only Jeff Gannon/James Guckert would pay attention, he could write a bestseller about his Bush White House visits in the middle of the night.

by Anonymousreply 10303/11/2013

He's fat and soft-looking and wears glasses. There's no fucking way he gets to be president.

by Anonymousreply 10403/11/2013

Also stated, but unreported: "There I said it. Please don't hit me again, Mommy."

by Anonymousreply 10503/11/2013

Fat, R104? He looks skinny compared to some of the others who may run.

by Anonymousreply 10603/12/2013

I actually think he looks better than W.

by Anonymousreply 10703/12/2013

W will be remembered for 3 things: 1) 911, 2) Iraq, 3) running up huge debt that led to the financial crisis.

None of that is good.

by Anonymousreply 10903/12/2013

He will also be remembered for ending our Constitutional Freedoms with the PATRIOT Act, and twice service in an office he was not elected to. He will also be remembered for trying to fix the voting process to ensure perpetual power for the fascist right.

by Anonymousreply 11003/12/2013

Good luck with that, Jeb.

by Anonymousreply 11103/12/2013

Shrub will be remembered for not attending the Reflublican Convention and the inauguration of Obama. We all know he prefers to clear brush off of his ranch and that is about all he was and is good for. The hags on the View this am went on about what a nice man he is and Elizabeth the idiot said when her family visited the White house, he looked a t a picture of Lincoln and compared himself to Abe. A nice man who is respoinsible for the deaths of thousands of lives - for nothing.

by Anonymousreply 11203/12/2013

If everyone has forgotten how bad the Bush family was to our country.... I have no problem reminding them all.

by Anonymousreply 11303/12/2013

If he starts throwing his brother's policies under the bus, he may have a chance.

by Anonymousreply 11403/12/2013

He will be raped to death by angry hordes, R114. I'll be at the front of the pack.

by Anonymousreply 11503/12/2013

History already has treated W kindly; he hasn't been taken to the guillotine. Yet.

by Anonymousreply 11603/12/2013

Easy for him to say, He won't be around to see how it really pans out. I think He's dead wrong.

by Anonymousreply 11703/12/2013

The big future threat is George P. Bush.

by Anonymousreply 11803/13/2013

Or should I have said Jorge P Bush?

by Anonymousreply 11903/13/2013

[quote]Let's see Clinton had Bin Laden served to him on a platter and refused to go after him. If Clinton had done his job, we may not have had 9/11

Listen, dipshit, I don't know how old you were in the 90s, but there was this thing: no war for Monica. There was nothing Clinton could do, AND the Clinton administration warn the Bush administration that Osama was the biggest threat to America. Because it came from Clinton, Bush co. threw it in the trash.

Now, fuck off!

by Anonymousreply 12003/13/2013

BTW, Clinton didn't blame Bush for the first World Trade Center bombing.

by Anonymousreply 12103/13/2013

Trust me, Bush will be the next Reagan, revered. If they can turn Reagan into a hero, they can do the same with Bush. Obama couldn't make political capitol into catching bin Laden, in fact, the Right convinced the public that Obama was taking credit for something the Marines did, and that he was a pos for doing so. The public ate that shit up. Had Reagan caught bin Laden, or Bush, we'd never hear the end of it. Reagan single-handily destroyed the Soviet Union. Peggy Noonan says that Reagan beat them by doing things like firing the air traffic controllers. It scared the Soviets. People buy this bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 12203/13/2013

[quote]President Truman held Hoover in very high regard.

And?

by Anonymousreply 12303/13/2013

For weeks I've ben reading this thread as "History will be kind to my mother". I kind of wondered what Bush's mother had anything to do with.

by Anonymousreply 12403/13/2013

Considering that they can't keep Reagan's halo straight, there's no one they can make Bush into a hero.

by Anonymousreply 12503/13/2013

History may not be so kind when it recalls that Dubya let Bin Laden go to wage war on Sadam Hussein.Not t hat I'm not glad we got him too.History may reveal how you rigged the election Jeb,so I'd be careful.

by Anonymousreply 12603/14/2013

R122, Reagas was revered in his day...before his Alzheimer's.

I'm trying to think if he was known for ever saying anything ridiculously stupid. All that comes to mind is him waving from his hospital room after getting shot. Iran contra was mostly a yawn.

Meanwhile, books were published about Bushisms. And when I think of GWB, I'll always think of my pet goat, Katrina, and mission accomplished. Oh and Iraq, torture and Wall Street corruption. And that he was booed at his first inauguration.

by Anonymousreply 12703/14/2013

[quote]Trust me, Bush will be the next Reagan

I don't think so. Reagan has always been treated as a God by the Republicans. By contrast, even Republicans don't like Bush. He wasn't invited to the Republican Convention last year, and no one wanted him on the campaign trail.

by Anonymousreply 12803/15/2013

George Bush is to the GOP what Tom Cruise is to Scientology. Both of them are mentally and intellectually disadvantaged.

The real bad guys are pulling the stings in the back. Bush was only vacationing and golfing so much because he was just a puppet for the GOP.

by Anonymousreply 12903/15/2013

History is the name of their black nanny who raised them, right?

by Anonymousreply 13003/15/2013

Jeb's son said this weekend his father is likely to run for President.

Think he has a chance

by Anonymousreply 13110/27/2014

Of course he has a chance. He has the same chance as his brother. There's not the slightest doubt that he's already moving all the right people into place to steal the election.

by Anonymousreply 13210/27/2014

r122, Regean won by a "landslide."

Dubya was selected by the SCOTUS the first time, and rigged PA for the second election. He never actually WON an election.

Recent events has been kind to Dubya.

History, however, will not.

by Anonymousreply 13310/27/2014

I, for one, am not interested in having any Bush in politics. Period.

by Anonymousreply 13410/27/2014

Me neither!

by Anonymousreply 13510/27/2014

A republican is the guy who comes to your house for dinner, takes a dump on the floor and then asks you why your house smells bad.

by Anonymousreply 13610/27/2014

r118/119 Indeed, we are back to dynasty Presidents. Hillary could be followed by George P Bush who is running for Texas Land Commissioner this year, then there is Bobby's grandson Joseph P Kennedy who was elected to Congress in 2012 and could be a future president too

by Anonymousreply 13710/27/2014

History will hold the Bush family for what they are: paid employees of Red China (HW), Saudi Arabia (W), and Colombia (JEB).

by Anonymousreply 13810/27/2014

When will history start liking GWB??

So far, not one thing he's done has turned out well.

The cons are trying desperately to spin it (This is now Obama's economy! This is now Obama's war!)

We haven't forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 13910/27/2014

W&W for R136

by Anonymousreply 14010/27/2014

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 14110/27/2014

In case you couldn't tell, almost all of these posts were from people in the not-Republican Party.

by Anonymousreply 14210/27/2014

[quote]If this country is actually stupid enough to put another Bush in the White House, then it deserves everything it fucking gets

If all we're allowed to choose from is another Bush or another Clinton, that's a pretty good indicator that the game has been fixed long before the voting begins. Remember: Obama promised change but retained Bush's Defense Secretary. All we'll get is more of same no matter who wins.

by Anonymousreply 14310/28/2014

[italic]In short:[/italic] What Jeb Bush is telling us is that history [people] will think more favorably of his president brother George after he has died.

by Anonymousreply 14410/28/2014

At first I thought the title read...

"History will be killed by my brother" and I thought, 'Sounds about right!'.

The motherfucker.

by Anonymousreply 14510/28/2014

There's no doubt that Jeb will move into the Oval Office no matter what the vote count may be.

by Anonymousreply 14610/28/2014

If Jeb decides to run, then I want Babs to live long enough to see him defeated.

That would be sweet.

by Anonymousreply 14710/28/2014

"Everyone" is not "history," r1. Reputable Ph. D. historians will NOT "be kind" to any politician named Bush.

Just using the term "be kind to" shows that Republicans neither know nor respect objective reality. Truth is what it is, and needs no human affection or lack thereof.

by Anonymousreply 14810/28/2014

Is our children learning? Clearly, they is not.

America: Land of the Ignorant and the Demented.

by Anonymousreply 14910/28/2014

Why would history be kind to that lowlife?

by Anonymousreply 15010/28/2014

Leaving the Bush family baggage aside, he's fat (with a massive double chin), very homely, and wears glasses.

People who look that don't usually get elected President. The last fat President we had was William Howard Taft.

by Anonymousreply 15110/28/2014

Old man Bush needs to understand that the people in power wanted the dummy to be president, so he was. The more stupid Bush robbed the tax payers for the military corporations but in my opinion, Jeb would have managed to do the same but would he have allowed 9-11? I'm not so sure.

by Anonymousreply 15210/28/2014

I have to agree with you R143 the fix is in. The military runs this country and we do not live in a democracy, not at all. We exist for the sake of corporations and oil barons. They have control, the people do not. I just wish there could be some honesty about it.

by Anonymousreply 15310/28/2014

Look at the way Reagan is fucking god to so many. I have no doubt. I fully trust in the stupidity of Americans and trust as years go by there will be many more of the stupid ones and the ones already here will keep getting stupider so of course W will go down as a great president.

by Anonymousreply 15410/28/2014

r153 The military would have kept groundtroops in Iraq and Afghanistan and invaded Iran.

r154 Reagan ended the Cold War and created a growing economy, Dubya launched the Iraq War when we should have focused on Afghanistan and left a recession

by Anonymousreply 15510/28/2014

Rump rangers will never be kind to Bush.

by Anonymousreply 15610/28/2014

Reagan started the war on the poor and took the lives of millions from AIDS. He was also a traitor to this country. He created one of the largest deficits ever but you just keep kneeling at his altar.

by Anonymousreply 15710/28/2014

Agreed, R151 -- Jeb has really bulked up!

by Anonymousreply 15810/28/2014

I agree--I think people will go from hating him to pitying him for being such a gormless nincompoop in the hands of devious advisors.

Hell, I feel "kinder" towards him every time I see one of his ridiculous paintings.

by Anonymousreply 15910/28/2014

Reagan’s tax cuts brought a rapid ballooning of the federal debt, which was $934 billion in January 1981 when Reagan took office. When he departed in January 1989, the debt had jumped to $2.7 trillion, a three-fold increase. And the consequences of Reagan’s reckless tax-cutting continued to build under his successor, George H.W. Bush, who left office in January 1993 with a national debt of $4.2 trillion, more than a four-fold increase since the arrival of Republican-dominated governance in 1981.

During 1993, Clinton’s first year in office, the new Democratic administration pushed through tax increases, partially reversing the massive tax cuts implemented under Reagan. Finally, the debt problem began to stabilize, with the total debt at $5.7 trillion and heading downward, when Clinton left office in January 2001.

Indeed, at the time of Clinton’s departure, the projected ten-year surplus of $5.6 trillion meant that virtually the entire federal debt would be retired. That was what Fed Chairman Greenspan found worrisome enough to support George W. Bush’s new round of tax cuts aimed primarily at the wealthy, another dose of Reagan’s “supply-side.”

The consequences – especially when combined with Bush’s decision to rush into two major wars without paying for them – proved disastrous. The federal debt resumed its upward climb. By August 2008, just before the Wall Street crash, the debt was over $9.6 trillion, nearly a $4 trillion jump since Bush took office.

And, after the Wall Street collapse in September 2008, the federal government had little choice but to increase its borrowing even more to avert a global economic catastrophe potentially worse than the Great Depression. By January 2009, just five months later, the debt was $10.6 trillion, a $1 trillion increase and counting.

Many of the Republican leaders who stomped their feet during the recent budget showdown, including House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, were among those who favored the Bush tax cuts, the costly invasion of Iraq and bank deregulation. In other words, they were denouncing President Obama for a debt crisis that they helped create.

by Anonymousreply 16110/28/2014

Why would we invade Iran? We had no reason to even raid Iraq. I have no understanding why the USA is not put in it's place by other countries rising up against us, as they should? The USA is pure evil and we need to be stopped.

by Anonymousreply 16210/28/2014

HYUFD = Huffing Yammering Unbelievably Fatuous Dick

by Anonymousreply 16310/28/2014

Jeb Bush says he will assist his brother to find the WMD if elected President.

by Anonymousreply 16410/28/2014

r161 Bush Snr raised taxes on the rich to tackle the deficit, Bush Jnr let Lehmans go bust

r162 Ironically at the moment with are allies by default with the Shia Iran against the Sunni ISIS

R163 Thankyou for that, you put a lot of effort into it!

by Anonymousreply 16510/28/2014

point of fact r40, the Clinton admin warned the incoming illegal Bush administration in the strongest and most explicit terms that Bin Laden should be the top priority in national security policy.

The Bush admin in their unprecedented arrogance had a policy of rejecting all things Clinton, regardless of the consequences.

If Clinton had been in the WH 9-11 never would have happened because he would not have [AS BUSH DID] say "there, you covered your ass, now get lost" when he was briefed about an impending air attack from Bin Laden in his presidential daily briefing.

Clinton would NEVER have invaded Iraq. If you are still so deep into the Kool and believe that they really invaded Iraq because of WMD, you are STILL the target fool they were manipulating.

The goal was establishing a military presence in the middle east and privatizing the enterprise for Cheney and his ilk to make a fortune.

Never had anything to do with WMD.

by Anonymousreply 16610/29/2014

I agree with r166.

History will be BRUTAL to Dubya...he created ISIS, the most barbaric terrorist group ever imaginable.

ISIS are Saddam Hussein loyalists.

by Anonymousreply 16710/29/2014

"The fuck I will!"

by Anonymousreply 16810/29/2014

"The goal was establishing a military presence in the middle east and privatizing the enterprise for Cheney and his ilk to make a fortune."

Now take that back a couple stages, r166, to 9/11/01.

CUI BONO?

by Anonymousreply 16910/29/2014

No one loathes Dubya any more than I, but I will give him this: He had the good sense and maybe even grace to stay the hell out of politics during Obama's presidency. Which is more than I can say about his evil overlords Cheney and Rove. I do feel that he will be viewed with less animus 30 years from now. If it worked for Nixon, it will probably happen for Bush2 as well.

by Anonymousreply 17010/29/2014
Need more help? Click Here.