Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why didn't the Bradys have an intercom installed?

They're always yelling for each other. The dad was an Architect, for chrissakes.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 9803/16/2013

I think people just yelled more in the 70s.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 103/10/2013

I've been in homes where there's an intercom system. It's never used because it's more trouble than it's worth.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 203/10/2013

[quote] The dad was an Architect, for chrissakes.

Surely the absence of an intercom was the very least of Mike Brady's architectural shortcomings.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 303/10/2013

They were poor.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 403/10/2013

Nobody really wanted to hear from me.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 503/10/2013

It was removed after Carol caught Greg and Marcia having intercom sex.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 603/10/2013

I'm bored too, OP.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 703/10/2013

Did Alice sleep in the laundry room? They always say goodbye to her and she heads that way.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 803/10/2013

[quote] Did Alice sleep in the laundry room? They always say goodbye to her and she heads that way.

Somewhere behind the green baize door.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 903/10/2013

The Waltons could have used one, with all that good-nighting they did.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 1003/10/2013

R7 wins! :)

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 1103/10/2013

House plans show that Alice's room was behind the Laundry room

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 1203/10/2013

[quote]Somewhere behind the green baize door.

This just gave me a disturbing mental image of Alice getting fucked by a black guy in a pair of tights with the crotch cut out.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 1303/10/2013

House plans show that there was no 2nd floor, either. Exterior shot is clearly a ranch-style house.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 1403/10/2013

Don't you remember he pay phone fiasco?

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 1503/10/2013

I live blocks away from the Brady House (exterior) in Studio City which looks VERY different these days.

I'll get a good laugh out of these comments every time I walk the dog past there!

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 1603/10/2013

Not so different. When out-of-town guests come to LA, we drive them past (we live nearby, too), and they recognise it instantly.

The Golden Girls house (over in Brentwood), however, usually takes a few guesses.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 1703/10/2013

The kids treated Alice like crap in Goodbye Alice Hello.

Still bothers me.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 1803/10/2013

I loved when they performed Snow White on the makeshift stage in the backyard. They should have done one little play each season back there.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 1903/10/2013

What the Hell did Mrs. Brady do all day? She had a live in maid.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 2003/10/2013

Intercoms? They didn't even have toilets!

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 2103/10/2013

Mike and Sam were secret lovers.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 2203/10/2013

R2 We never used ours either. Besides our mom could never remember our names anyhow.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 2303/10/2013

All the built-in intercoms and my friends' homes sat unused.

My family didn't have one because our home was older.

I think those with intercoms didn't like the fact that others in the household could listen in on what goes on in their bedrooms.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 2403/10/2013

"and my friends' " = in my friends'"

Damned voice recognition software!

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 2503/10/2013

wasn't there an episode when one was installed and it was wrecking havoc?

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 2603/10/2013

From Google maps, dated 2011

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 2703/10/2013

R26 - It was a payphone.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 2803/10/2013

Peter Brady really was hot in real life for awhile.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 2903/10/2013

They did not even have a TOILET and you want them to have an intercom?

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 3003/10/2013

There was an episode of Mama's Family where the Harpers installed an intercom. It led to a lot of drama and hurt feelings.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 3103/10/2013

These are the kind of thoughts that occupy your mind? You could think about an infinite number of things and you think about this?

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 3203/10/2013

We have intercom system, only Miss Romney use it to yell INS and start laughing like a hyena.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 3303/10/2013

Why is someone posting here if they don't enjoy pointless conversations.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 3403/10/2013

Oh, *those* Bradys.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 3503/10/2013

Because they want to. New here?

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 3603/10/2013

How rude!

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 3703/10/2013

Why did Alice have to wear that uniform?

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 3803/10/2013

[R20], [R38], Mike felt he owed it to Alice to keep her on after he married Carol since he took such good care of his boys after his wife died.

Carol was happy to have Alice stay with them so she could help her manage a household of six children, leaving time for her new husband and her own interests.

During Alice's era it was appropriate to wear a uniform. She knew it was important to delineate her role as a family employee since there could be confusion among the boys since she acted as a mother figure for a time. She wanted to make sure they accepted Carol as their new step-mother.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 3903/10/2013

Our home has one, and we use it.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 4003/10/2013

Or maybe Carol needed help in handing out all of those paper lunchbags?

The uniform was lame, it should have died along with Fluffy and Tiger, Alice deserved better than what she got. Such a doormat.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 4103/10/2013

[quote]What the Hell did Mrs. Brady do all day? She had a live in maid.

She was turning tricks. It costs a lot of money to feed six kids and pay for a live-in maid.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 4203/10/2013

At least the Bradys didn't make her wear the little hat.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 4303/11/2013

R39 = Jr Sociologist

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 4403/11/2013

My cousin's family had an intercom system in their mid-century ranch style house. Thing never worked properly, so it was never used. Easier to yell.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 4503/11/2013

Sorry, but I'm not Alice.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 4603/11/2013

Ha ha, Kay at r46. Alice always listens to our groovy new records with us..

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 4703/11/2013

[quote]The kids treated Alice like crap in Goodbye Alice Hello.

You can take solace in the fact that this episode was cobbled together quickly to cover the absence of Robert Reed. You will note that Alice pulls a dick move herself, leaving Mr. Brady's employ after all those years without saying goodbye to HIM, let alone the kids. Of course it's not her fault because if Mr. Brady WERE there, they'd have shot some other script anyway. It's best not to over-think it.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 4803/11/2013

In the master shot, the house looks quite roomy. Yet there was apparently so little space that the boys had to bunk-up in one tiny room.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 4903/11/2013

[quote]Exterior shot is clearly a ranch-style house.

No it isn't! It's the quintessential split-level home, very popular in the 50's and 60's. The stairs led directly to the loft-like 2nd level.

You need to brush up on your sixties architecture.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 5003/11/2013

[quote]In the master shot, the house looks quite roomy. Yet there was apparently so little space that the boys had to bunk-up in one tiny room.

A lot of ground-floor space was wasted in a family room, an architect's den (with the plywood and the brown pattern furniture, seen mostly nowadays in daddy bear cam-shots in the internet), Alice's quarters, and astroturf. So what could have potentially been a 6-br home was reduced to a 3-br with a guest room that doubled as Alice's room.

In later seasons, a huge deal was made regarding Greg's moving into the attic so he'd have more privacy to stroke his...guitar.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 5103/11/2013

Those kids were so mean to her in that episode. After all she did to be kind to them all those years, it didn't make a lick of sense how they could turn on her on a dime. So I can see why Lady Reed had a problem with it.

Still it is a good episode because you really feel for Alice and how she was treated. I loved how Carol let them have it while crocheting. Excellent acting by Lady Henderson.

Kay started out like an unfeeling robot but showed she was really groovy underneath.

Alice was such a treasure, I hope those brats had to do extra chores that week.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 5203/14/2013

Right when you walked in the front door, the stairs were straight ahead. I don't see how that'd really be possible looking at the exterior shot.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 5303/14/2013

That much is true r53, and many a blogs have been spent discussing that inconsistency in the Brady House Blueprint

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 5403/14/2013

[quote]many a blogs have been spent discussing that inconsistency in the Brady House Blueprint

I'd rather discuss that here than Gold** Gir** inconsistencies any damn day.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 5503/14/2013

Bobby says Alice knows him since he was a baby. Obviously the real Mrs Brady died giving birth to him.

In the pilot episode you see Bobby with her picture and Mike tells him to put it away and never speak of her again.

Carol was a beard, her marriage contract called for a maid. She didn't have to take care of the kids nor attend to a husband.

They used a bucket for toilet needs. Not uncommon before plumbing.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 5603/14/2013

I always remember the episode when Marcia has the lead in "Romeo and Juliet" and lets it go to her head. When Carol punishes her for her cuntiness by telling her she can't be in the play, Maureen McCormick's anguished acting was so viscerally real, it used to scare me as a kid. Unusually unrealistic for that show.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 5703/14/2013

^^Oops Of course I meant "unusually realistic."

Also, does anyone else remember the early episode when Greg is in love with someone named "Linda", and Carol meets Marcia's new friend named Linda who just moved from Seattle (but that turns out not to be the Linda Greg's hot for)? The fucked up way that girl said "Seat-tle" has bugged me my whole life.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 5803/14/2013

Haha, r58, I have no memory of the episode context but yes, I do remember some girl on a "Brady Bunch" episode saying "Seattle" in a really bizarre way - I can hear it in my head now.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 5903/14/2013

The Hallmark Channel ran that episode last month. I recorded it with every intention of sending a video of the "Seat'tle" girl to a friend who's never known what I was talking about, but TiVo deleted the episode before I could do it.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 6003/14/2013

I only recognize the "See-AH-tull" pronunciation because Hallmark channel ran that episode recently. LOL, why didn't they just dub her voice?

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 6103/14/2013

r58, you should get the DVD from Netflix and then put that scene up on YouTube, so all of us who still have that weird pronunciation ringing in our ears could hear it again.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 6203/14/2013

Perhaps Linda from that city in Washington state had a speech impediment or a hearing problem.

Or she is a damned foreigner.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 6303/14/2013

Alice was a passive aggressive bitch. You recall she pulled the "I'm gonna quit" shit in the first season.

Then at the end of that episode, the second time she quits, she is working in a diner. Not even a Mel's Diner, but a dump.

I wonder if she and Kay were lezzing it up? Where the hell did she live. Alice says, "I got so lonely I took a taxi out to see the house."

Bitch it's LA learn to drive.

The most disturbing thing (other than her equally dyke cousin Emma) is the fact at the end she declares, "I got my old job back and I'm never gonna leave it again."

OK so she WANTS to be a maid for the rest of her life?

And who the hell says Mr and Mrs Brady want her back. Do the kids have authority to rehire the smelly old passive aggressive cunt?

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 6403/14/2013

you are so right. Alice was a monster.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 6503/14/2013

They had to keep Alice around; she threatened to spill the beans on Mike's penchant for playing "Hide the salami" with Sam the butcher.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 6603/14/2013

Since when do Californians have white help, anyway?

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 6703/14/2013

Did the kids know Robert Reed was gay during the show's run? Apparently Florence Henderson caught on early.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 6803/14/2013

The youtube links are dead but there's a great picture of Seattle Linda at the link. Bangs!

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 6903/14/2013

MM said she no idea and was crushed when she found out because she had a thing for him.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 7003/14/2013

There was only one bathroom for six kids so the lack of an intercom was the least of their concerns.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 7103/14/2013

I grew up in a house with an intercom system but we never used it to talk. The main control panel in the kitchen was set to an FM radio station that played quietly in there and on the patio but all the rooms inside the house were turned off. When we went out of town, my dad would tune it to talk radio, switch off the patio speaker, and switch on all the rooms so, from the outside, it would sound like quiet conversation if someone tried to listen. That and lamp timers were supposed to keep burglars away.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 7203/14/2013

r62

Because you asked so nicely.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 7303/14/2013

r57

Cause you asked so nicely

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 7403/14/2013

[quote]It was removed after Carol caught Greg and Marcia having intercom sex.

No that was Peter and Bobby.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 7503/14/2013

Maureen once said that her she always feared having mental illness like various members in her family when she was a kid, and would use that fear and anxiety whenever it came time for her to shoot an emotional scene, hence the realness in the "MOM!" and the "I'm UGLY, UGLY, UGLY!!" scenes.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 7603/14/2013

[quote]No it isn't! It's the quintessential split-level home, very popular in the 50's and 60's. The stairs led directly to the loft-like 2nd level

They put a fake window on the house in the master shot of the Brady Bunch to give the illusion of a two-level home. Brady Bunch Trivia 101.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 7703/14/2013

More Brady trivia: In the second season (I believe) when Greg was too cool for school and wanted his own room (he ended up bunking in Mike's den), they mentioned him possibly moving up into the attic but Mike shot the idea down, saying it was so small you couldn't even stand up in it. In the last season, not only does he move up there, but it's as big as an apartment.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 7803/14/2013

It's funny how in the pilot and first season, they talked with an affect. Mike pronounced Peter as "Pee-tah" and Carol would say "Bo-ahs" instead of "Boys." Was that a late '60s thing?

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 7903/14/2013

Greg was a stud.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 8003/14/2013

Alice almost got fired when Carol caught her finger banging herself while washing Cindy's thong.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 8103/14/2013

Greg was fucking hot. Especially all lean and shirtless in those little swimming trunks in the Hawaii episodes.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 8203/14/2013

[quote] Maureen McCormick's anguished acting was so viscerally real, it used to scare me as a kid. Unusually unrealistic for that show.

Totally freaked me out too!

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 8303/14/2013

Peter was hotter r82.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 8403/14/2013

You people are hi-larious with your Brady trivia! For as many times as I’ve seen that show in reruns – although, it’s been years since I last did – I wouldn’t have recognized the house as such in R27’s link.

I have zero recollection of GOODBYE ALICE HELLO or the Se-at-ul chick (that clip at R62 is a sca-reem! Per IMDb, that was Teresa Warder’s only acting credit. Hmmm…)

Re Reed’s sexual orientation: Henderson said she knew right from the start (and she seemed rather pleased with herself about that). Of the kids, Williams is the only one who claimed to have known while the show was in production.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 8503/14/2013

And how did Barry Williams know that, R85? When he woke up in his trailer with RR's mouth on his cock?

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 8603/14/2013

R78 - Mike redid the attic in between.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 8703/14/2013

What kind of men did Robert Reed fancy? Was he a twink man, or did he like manly men, ethnic men...? I wonder if he ever, even if just ever-so-slightly, looked at the uber-sexy Barry Williams in any other way other than as a son.

R84, Peter clearly had the best ass, and Chris Knight turned out to be hotter than Barry Williams in later years, but during the show's original run, blue-eyed Barry was the hottest. His clothes fit his well-toned bod like a glove.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 8803/14/2013

No idea, R86. Years ago, when Williams was promoting his autobiography (Growing Up Brady???) he said that he "... was aware that Robert lived an alternative lifestyle". He didn't elaborate re how he knew. Perhaps it's in the book (that I didn't read). He also said that Reed was always respectful towards, and protective of, the kids, and that he'd take them on trips and give them good gifts (cameras, etc).

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 8903/14/2013

There's someone who posts regularly on DL who slept with Reed. He described in full detail what seemed like a real let down. The poster slept with him because he was Mike Brady and Reed was the "get off, get off me, and get out" type (a bottom), and extremely concerned with secrecy. Maybe that poster will pop up for a visit and refresh our minds.

Add me to the Chris Knight sweet ass fan club.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 9003/14/2013

Unf.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 9103/14/2013

Unf #2

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 9203/14/2013

[quote] I wonder if he ever, even if just ever-so-slightly, looked at the uber-sexy Barry Williams in any other way other than as a son.

Uh... you do realize that Barry Williams was NOT his son, right?

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 9303/14/2013

[quote]Uh... you do realize that Barry Williams was NOT his son, right?

Uh...what I meant, oh sarcastic one, was if he looked at Barry as anything other than son-like. He looked at all the kids as if they were his own. Perhaps if I'd said I wonder if he ever lusted after Barry, it would have been easier for you to understand.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 9403/14/2013

The Seattle girl is a Scotland transplant trying really hard to cover her accent.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 9503/14/2013

I liked Cindy when she saw cousin Emma and said:

Gee Alith you certainly look butch today....

Or when cousin Emma told the story of how she had to take dumps in her helmet.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 9603/16/2013

Remember the episode where that black bitch Doreen called Marcia out on Davy Jones by telling Carol from the Bob Newhart Show, Marcia had Davy Jones all booked, when she knew she didn't.

On the plus side, I liked it when Alice told Doreen:

I don't care if you are a friend of Marcia's, YOU use the BACK door.

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 9703/16/2013

Why did they bother to mow the astro turf?

by Tiger, trying to fucking sleepreply 9803/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.