Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Does your apartment look like your grandmother

decorated it?

by Anonymousreply 2303/10/2013

My grandmother has been dead for 65 years. I have no idea.

by Anonymousreply 103/10/2013

No but my bedroom looks like my father.

by Anonymousreply 203/10/2013

Let's see, no wicker rocking chair. No enormous creepy portrait of my dead grandfather. No closet full of nearly identical yellow gingham dresses with lace trim. No oil cloth curtains. No velour upholstered couch with matching love seat.

by Anonymousreply 303/10/2013

Of course not and I have a house.

by Anonymousreply 403/10/2013

Basements don't lend themselves to the homespun feeling of grammy's. Besides you know the shelves with Star Wars figurines are a poor substitute for the hummels gram had displayed. Even though the the Star Wars collection is worth much more than the quaint humbles.

by Anonymousreply 503/10/2013

I'm sure some of the elder gheys have doilies on their tables.

by Anonymousreply 603/10/2013

If anything, my house is more in the taste of the houses of ancestors dead for 200 years than my grandmothers who are half a century dead (to judge by photos of my grandparents' houses.)

by Anonymousreply 703/10/2013

No, mine is more early Hansel and Gretel. It is mostly 18th and early 19th century German/Tyrolean folk art. My Grandmother's taste was more Bauhaus.

by Anonymousreply 803/10/2013

I have quite a few of my gran's antiques so I guess it does look a bit like she decorated my house.

I draw the line at doilies, thankfully so did she.

by Anonymousreply 903/10/2013

Actually, "grandma" is my favorite decorating theme. I'd love to have a Victorian house and do the inside like it's 1932. Lace doilies, old picture frames, hard wood floors... I find it so calming.

by Anonymousreply 1003/10/2013

OP, why didn't you use the title box to include the complete sentence instead of putting the last part of it in the message box? It changes the meaning of the question entirely.

by Anonymousreply 1103/10/2013

I have never owned a doily in my life.

by Anonymousreply 1203/10/2013

I once met a very hawt, good looking guy in New York. He was from London and was a model!?!

I went to London for a visit and was excited to see him again and we met up at his flat and it was just like going to visit someone's great aunt Madge.

It put me off him, actually....and a few other things.

There was nothing about his appearance or the way he dressed to suggest his place would have looked the way it did.

I think he was in his early 30s.

by Anonymousreply 1303/10/2013

Yes, and no. I inherited tons of antiques from her, but her taste in floral patterns and wall paper I never did.

by Anonymousreply 1403/10/2013

My what? My "apartment"?

Darling, I'm an adult. I live in a house.

by Anonymousreply 1503/10/2013

No, I live in a house.

by Anonymousreply 1603/10/2013

Why the hostility towards those who live in apartments? Who wants to do, or pay for someone else to do, yard work, snow shoveling, etc?

by Anonymousreply 1703/10/2013

[quote]Darling, I'm an adult. I live in a house.

What a douche.

by Anonymousreply 1803/10/2013

I have all mid-century furniture which belonged to my parents.

Vintage Eames chairs, Barcelona chair etc. Love it. Chic.

by Anonymousreply 1903/10/2013

Let's see: I have a $12,000 B&B Italia sofa, two vintage Jens Risom chairs upholstered in a Hella Jongerius fabric, an Art Brut coffee table, a Nanimarquina rug and an elaborate home theater setup just in the living room alone, along with a number of contemporary art pieces. One of my grandmothers still had shag carpeting when she died (in 1991, in a house she'd had since the early '70s). The other liked to collect crystal figurines and kitschy signs with sayings like "WHATEVER!" So: on the whole I'd have to say no...

Oh, and R19? You have some of the most cliche and overused mid-century pieces in existence. Sell them at auction and start over.

by Anonymousreply 2003/10/2013

Yes, it's all wrinkly and hunched over with a scarf tied over hair rollers

by Anonymousreply 2103/10/2013

Yes! Because she did.

by Anonymousreply 2203/10/2013

R20, are your Risom chairs the walnut armchairs with cushions? If so, are they comfortable?

I love the way they look, but they look as if they might grow uncomfortable after awhile.

by Anonymousreply 2303/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!