Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anna Karenina (the 2012 film)

Starring Kiera Knightly and Jude Law.

Did you see this? What did you think of it?

by Anonymousreply 1403/16/2013

A few years ago Jude would have been Vronsky - now he is old and plain enough to play Mr Karenin.

by Anonymousreply 103/10/2013

Didn't last 10 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 203/10/2013

No. It sounded concept-ridden.

by Anonymousreply 303/10/2013

I just saw it the other day, OP. Above all else, it is gorgeous.

The stage conceit was interesting. Anna's been around so long, at least they were trying something new. It didn't jerk me out of the story the way I thought it would. I liked it and I like that they were willing to go out on a limb.

The guy who played Vronsky was pretty but not compelling. Jude Law and Matthew MacFayden both brought a bit of light and talent when they showed up, there just wasn't enough of them.

The problem, of course, is Keira Knightley.

It was a bit like watching that old "Mary Queen of Scots" film. I was supposed to feel for Vanessa Redgrave as Mary. I ended up rooting for Glenda Jackson as Elizabeth and not much caring that Mary's head rolled.

When Natalie Portman played Anne Boleyn, a historical figure for whom I usually have some sympathy, I couldn't wait for them to chop off her head just so that Portman would shut the fuck up. Of course the bastards left life-size blancmange ScarJo alive so it was still painful to watch.

By the time I got to the end of this "Anna" I was more than ready for her to jump.

by Anonymousreply 403/10/2013

What actress of today do you think would have made a better Anna?

by Anonymousreply 503/10/2013

[quote]What actress of today do you think would have made a better Anna?

Ahem

by Anonymousreply 603/10/2013

Keira Knightley doesn't have the depth for the emotional changes Anna goes through in the story. She's pretty, but I didn't believe her supposed love of her son; the screen adaptation didn't help. Rachel Weisz would have been better.

Overall, though, I didn't feel the danger and intense social ostracism that Anna and Vronsky suffered based on their decision was effectively addressed. And in the latter scenes of the film, there is no indication that Anna and Vronsky have been limited financially at all when they run off together- it's just one more gorgeous dress and parure after another.

I think in this version they say that Anna becomes a drug addict at the end if I remember correctly? Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 703/10/2013

This was a vanity film for the star and the director. It did not need to be made and will be completely forgotten in a few months.

by Anonymousreply 803/10/2013

The conceit of the theatrical, of people playing roles in society, didn't work for me. This is not your usual mannered Victorian sage in which the tragedy comes from yielding to social pressures, or to living a lie within social parameters of good taste. Anna is the polar opposite of that kind of figure. She lives for love and the truth and defies social expectations. Simiilarly, our secondary protagonist, Levin, though a touch puritanical and quite socially mindful, concerns himself far less with what is expected of him than with what he feels is right and spiritually enlightened.

I very much enjoyed Alicia Vikander's Kitty and Dario Marianelli's score. Knightly, whom I often like, tried, and her moments of neurotic anguish were very fine, but, sadly, she lacks sufficient warmth and gusto for Anna.

by Anonymousreply 903/10/2013

I just don't get why this director is so obsessed with Keira Knightley. She's a beautiful woman, but she is no actress.

It's like Peter Bogdanovich with Cybill Shepherd. You can't squeeze blood from a turnip.

by Anonymousreply 1003/10/2013

Awful film. The leads have no chemistry, so the fatal passion that drives the story makes no sense. All the ontage-offstage theatricality of it just makes it harder to watch. The director truly missed the mark, and I have enjoyed his earlier films very much.

Jude Law is great as Karenin - he is a marvelous character actor. His scenes saved me from utter boredom and disgust.

by Anonymousreply 1103/10/2013

I just watched it. I couldn't wait for her to throw herself on those tracks.

Gorgeous costumes, sets and art direction, though.

by Anonymousreply 1203/16/2013

The costumer won an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 1303/16/2013

[quote]What actress of today do you think would have made a better Anna?

Take your pick. The director appears to be fucking Knightly, as she's been in almost all his films, but she is spectacularly wrong for this role. Tina Fey would have been a better choice.

by Anonymousreply 1403/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.