Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

a 'selfish bastard' cuts in line at the Bagel store

I was in line at the local bagel store today and this guy walks to the front of the line, cutting about four or five us in the process because "I'm just getting coffee."

But he didn't have exact change, the guys behind the counter were super-busy and he ended up taking a lot of time and took their attention away from helping customers who were in line ahead of him.

One of the people he cut called him out on it; she called out the guys behind the counter, too, but the guy (the cutter) just stood there, taking his sweet-ass time and he started joking, "yeah, I'm a 'selfish bastard.' But I'm just getting coffee."

It's one thing if you have exact change and you're just getting coffee (you can leave your money on the counter and the rest is self-serve.)

But this guy really was a selfish bastard. ONE person said to the lady on the way out: "You're right, btw."

But everyone else just stood there. Personally, I think the guy was a selfish bastard.

by Anonymousreply 3503/17/2013

Get. A. FUCKING. Blog!!!

by Anonymousreply 103/09/2013

OP, you're don't have a flare for storytelling.

by Anonymousreply 203/09/2013

All I got from this was that I wish the guy threw his coffee in op's face on the way out.

by Anonymousreply 303/09/2013

This would never happen in Highland Park, Illinois.

by Anonymousreply 403/09/2013

This is [italic]SO[/italic] interesting, OP!!!

by Anonymousreply 503/09/2013

[quote]OP, you're don't have a flare for storytelling.

Posted by the King of Irony.

by Anonymousreply 603/09/2013

Noodle twats who tolerate bad behavior deserve the inconvenience of bagelry delay. That one of them had to post here proves how whiningly impotent these slacker asses are, unless they're anonymous and hidden and virtual. Shut up, OP. We don't care.

I bake my own bagels and make my own coffee, so the situation isn't relevant to me, but the behaviors are.

by Anonymousreply 703/09/2013

Was this in New York, OP?

by Anonymousreply 803/10/2013

LA, R8.

I thought about speaking up, too, but the guy could have been a nut with a gun or something.

by Anonymousreply 903/10/2013

No one in line would have stood for this in New York.

by Anonymousreply 1003/10/2013

I don't live in NY and I won't put up with it. After telling off both the customer and the clerk, I walked out on a basket of groceries when a clerk let someone push ahead of the line. Screw that.

by Anonymousreply 1103/10/2013

[quote]OP, you're don't have a flare for storytelling.

Oh, I don't know. It's about on par with your flair for spelling!

by Anonymousreply 1203/10/2013

I don't think spelling was actually the problem there, r12.

by Anonymousreply 1303/10/2013

OP, I liked your story and nevermind these pundits of negativism. Did you know it took F. Scott Fitzgerald four years to sell his first story? But of course, they weren't as bad as yours.

by Anonymousreply 1403/10/2013

[quote]OP, I liked your story

I liked it too.

Very well told. I felt like I could have been there with OP.

by Anonymousreply 1503/10/2013

Bitch, please. I would have told that guy to get the fuck in line and wait his turn and I would have been VERY obnoxious about it. Nobody cuts in line in front of me unless they want to get cut BY me.

They know WHY!

by Anonymousreply 1603/10/2013

Not long ago, harried frau tried to cut in front of me in the 10-iterms-or-fewer line at the supermarket. "I have a baby in the car." My reply, "YOUR baby is not MY problem," and moved ahead of her.

by Anonymousreply 1703/10/2013

If she left the baby alone in the car the police should have been called on her ass. Isn't that illegal?

by Anonymousreply 1803/10/2013

They have bagels in LA?

by Anonymousreply 1903/10/2013

[quote]I was in line at the local bagel store today and this guy walks to the front of the line, cutting about four or five us in the process because "I'm just getting coffee."

and...?

by Anonymousreply 2003/10/2013

This is exactly why I never leave my apartment in NYC without my taser. I'd fix that bastard good.

by Anonymousreply 2103/12/2013

This thread is useless without cream cheese.

by Anonymousreply 2203/12/2013

I'm surprised that the OP's story didn't take place in Toronto since everybody involved seemed so passive aggressive.

by Anonymousreply 2303/12/2013

I don't get r20's joke.

by Anonymousreply 2403/12/2013

Funny you should say that, R20. I came to post that the only two times I've ever had people try to forcibly cut in front of me at stores were Chinese immigrants. One guy at the Jewel in Chicago's Edgewater aggressively barreled in front of me to the self-check out. No "excuse me" or "please" but an entitled "Hurry! Hurry!" as he barged into my personal space. He brushed against me. His must-have-it-now purchase? A surge protector. I made him wait and suggested he wait in the back of the line (there were several others). I don't know what he did eventually, but I was the only one who said anything.

Another was at a Target in California. This time by a woman in her 20s. Just wandered in front of the line as though the cashier was waiting just for her. She was less aggressive and tried to cut into other lines when she got a firm "no."

I don't mind letting people ahead of me, especially if the have a small purchase and I will ask them if the want to go ahead if I notice them. But the entitlement just burns my butt. I realize that when people come from cultures where it's "every man for himself" there's adjustment, but I got the distinct impression that they weren't interested in following another culture's customs.

by Anonymousreply 2503/12/2013

We must kill them. We must kill them all to clean our streets and society from this vermin. Kill them and take their gold teeth.

by Anonymousreply 2603/12/2013

[quote]I don't get [R20]'s joke.

It's not so much a joke as a comment on the Chinese habit of a public total disregard for others. Queue-jumping is an every-day reality for the Chinese. "Cutting in line? So what? That's life."

Common courtesies, basic good manners, a measure of regard and respect for other people, personal space... out in public these things are practically non-existent.

It's rare to step up to a counter without someone barging in front of you as if you don't exist. This is how they go throughout life, outside of their immediate circle of family, co-workers etc. there is an open contempt for others, almost... but to have contempt there would first need to be acknowledgment that others even exist. To hear it explained by Chinese people is that where there are other people there is only empty air. It is evident in absolutely every aspect of daily life on the streets, in shops... But the truly bizarre thing is that while they'll admit it's their way of life and they don't like it when it happens to them, they won't speak out against it. Expecting them to change their behavior is expecting them to cease being Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 2703/12/2013

Someone attempted to cut in front of me in an NYC bakery a few weeks ago. Except I'm big. And scary. And bitch didn't have the balls.

by Anonymousreply 2803/12/2013

OP, next time make it a woman. You'll have hundreds of replies in no time. And make sure she's on her phone and is wearing loudly clicking heels she doesn't know how to walk in. That will get them going.

by Anonymousreply 2903/13/2013

OP, here; fascinating responses. LOTS of nastiness at the beginning!

R29, you have a point. had I made it a woman I would have gotten totally different responses.

The guy was just a dick though and, for what it's worth, not Asian.

by Anonymousreply 3003/13/2013

OP, here.

Today, I'm back in the bagel store and guess who comes in right after me?

This time, he has two kids (his) with him; they're maybe 4 and 6, or 5 and 7 years old?

The guy doesn't cut in line today, of course.

The older kid yells out after a few seconds in line: "Daddy! Why are WEEEE always LAST??!!!"

If life were a movie, I would have said: "Oh, that's okay, honey. Daddy's not always last!"

But...none of my business. Later, I put my stuff down at a table and while I step away to get a napkin the younger kid picks something of mine and walks off with it (a pen, to be exact).

The father tells her to put it back; begrudingly, the kid (after shooting me a look) does. I shoot the father a look.

"Excuse me?" I say. Thinking...you know, apologize for your kid and tell her it's wrong.

He says: "Oh, she likes to draw."

Alone, this encounter means nothing, of course, and even combined with the first happening I suppose it doesn't either.

But it still irked me.

This guy probably grew up with entitled parents and now he's an entitled adult and his kids will be entitled and so on.

I don't blame the kid. I just think the father should have said something more to her.

Who knows? Maybe he just lost his job or has a sick wife or parents.

Engaging with people over stupid stuff is pointless.

Flame away if you all want.

by Anonymousreply 3103/17/2013

[quote]This guy probably grew up with entitled parents and now he's an entitled adult and his kids will be entitled and so on.

Bingo. And I'll bet he drives a BMW SUV, doesn't use his turn signal and never yields the right of way. I work in Marin County, CA, and see these types and their spawn all the time.

This particular subspecies is generally unarmed, so I usually say something if I have the opportunity -- just for my own amusement -- I'll never change their behavior. But life is too short to get stressed out over these things.

by Anonymousreply 3203/17/2013

Post of the day, R31. Je ne te flammerais pas.

by Anonymousreply 3303/17/2013

[quote]Je ne te flammerais pas.

Second best post of the day.

by Anonymousreply 3403/17/2013

Merci, R34.

by Anonymousreply 3503/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.