and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing

Starring Fred and Wesley!!!

It's getting raves at SXSW.

by Anonymousreply 2704/28/2013

Weird and wild

by Anonymousreply 103/09/2013

Black & white with deadpan dialogue = pretentious mess. This is a happy, upbeat play that needs life and color. Oh, and actors who understand the cadence of Shakespeare.

by Anonymousreply 203/09/2013

R2, critics are saying its the funniest Shakespeare movie ever.

by Anonymousreply 303/09/2013

[quote]It’s also very funny. This is no dry adaptation. You can tell that every actor cherishes each word of Shakespeare’s play, but they aren’t so fiercely devoted to every rhythm that they rob it of any spontaneity or wit. No, it isn’t spoken with a British accent or filmed in the Italian countryside, but there’s a zest to the performances and the direction nonetheless. This is one of Joss Whedon’s very best works, and although he’s a geek in the purest sense – the man did direct THE AVENGERS, after all – it’s obvious that Whedon’s first love is simply two people in a room, engaging with each other on the purest of levels. His love of conversation and humor is evident in every moment of MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING and while I’m happy to have Joss Whedon take me to the farthest reaches of the Marvel Universe and back, I love that he still takes the time to tell intimate stories like this as well.

by Anonymousreply 403/09/2013

The trailer is very promising. The dialogue delivery finds a rare mix between contemporary ease and the richness of the verse, the likes of which I've rarely seen before, and I've seen a great deal of Shakespeare. r2 is right that there is something very deadpan, in the sense of casual or offhand, about the style, but I'm surprised he finds the result pretentious. I find it to be, refreshingly, the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 503/09/2013

Too bad about the dreaded shaky cam.

by Anonymousreply 603/09/2013

"This is a happy, upbeat play that needs life and color."

Yes, the Hero and Leonato subplot is a veritable laugh-a-minute.

by Anonymousreply 703/10/2013

I don't know who any of these people are.

by Anonymousreply 803/10/2013

R8, they are all actors who have been in previous Whedon projects. He likes to work with the same people, and I think this actually benefits him in the end, because the actors are close with him and trust him very much.

I think it makes for better performances with that level of camaraderie and trust between the actors and director, and the actors and each other.

by Anonymousreply 903/10/2013

He's never worked with Sarah Michelle Gellar again. They hate each other.

by Anonymousreply 1003/10/2013

SMG seems like a bit of a cunt...

She was the weakest part of Buffy.

by Anonymousreply 1103/10/2013

Although, come to think of it, he hasn't worked with the majority of the main cast since: SMG, Alyson Hannigan, Nicholas Brendon, Emma Caulfield, David Boreanaz, James Marsters, Seth Green, and Michelle Trachtenberg haven't worked with him outside of Buffy or Angel. And of course Charisma Carpenter, who he fired.

Eliza Dushku seems to have done something right. And I'm sure Amy Acker, as much as I live her, gave up the ass to Whedon at som point.

by Anonymousreply 1203/10/2013

Why did he fire Charisma Carpenter?

by Anonymousreply 1303/10/2013

Because she got pregnant and ruined his storyline for season 4 of Angel.

by Anonymousreply 1403/10/2013

New trailer:

by Anonymousreply 1504/27/2013

Spencer Treat Clark ("Stephen Frame" on Another World) is in it, so I will undoubtedly watch it when it arrives at a DVD near me.

by Anonymousreply 1604/27/2013

I love Seth Green.

by Anonymousreply 1704/28/2013

[quote]Because she got pregnant and ruined his storyline for season 4 of Angel.

What was his storyline for season 4 and how was it different than what was shown?

by Anonymousreply 1804/28/2013

R18, the world will never know. Joss won't say.

by Anonymousreply 1904/28/2013

Poor Charmisa, she has never recovered. I think she moved on to guest spots on Veronica Mars afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 2004/28/2013

She's been in those Expendables movies.

by Anonymousreply 2104/28/2013

And originally we weren't ever going to see Jasmine. She was still going to be possessing Cordelia, but Cordelia was going to be doing all of the action. Instead she sat in a bed for awhile, then went into a coma while Gina Torres took over.

by Anonymousreply 2204/28/2013

How did everyone react to Cordelia's death? It seems like they never discussed it on Buffy.

by Anonymousreply 2304/28/2013

They did a whole episode about her death. A great episode called You're Welcome which really plays into the show's series finale.

by Anonymousreply 2404/28/2013

How did Buffy react in that episode? You'd think it would hit Xander the hardest.

by Anonymousreply 2504/28/2013

I'm a huge fan of the Kenneth Branagh / Emma Thompson version, but I'll see anything and everything Joss Whedon creates.

I'm also interested in seeing the film of the stage version starring Dr. Who's David Tennant and Catherine Tate!

by Anonymousreply 2604/28/2013

Sorry, R25, I was thinking of on Angel. Buffy was already off the air when Cordelia died.

by Anonymousreply 2704/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!