Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

This is why LIZA is an icon.

This is how you command an entire stadium full of cheering people.

Moments like this are why she was considered to be the new Streisand back in the day.

Very few own a stage like Liza.

Watch and learn. It's how it's done, kids.

by Anonymousreply 3803/11/2013

Why can't the bitch win a Grammy?

by Anonymousreply 103/09/2013

She is a bore.

by Anonymousreply 203/09/2013

Liza is the greatest concert performer ever.

by Anonymousreply 303/09/2013

R3 Why can't the bitch win a Grammy?

by Anonymousreply 403/09/2013

The new Streisand? Wasn't Streisand the new Streisand back then? They're only 4 years apart in age.

by Anonymousreply 503/09/2013

R4. Liza has won an Oscar, three Tonys, an Emmy, British Academy Film and Television Arts and a Grammy Living Legend Award and a Grammy Hall of Fame Award. I think Liza has proven herself even if the Grammys were awarded and noncompetitive.

by Anonymousreply 603/09/2013

An icon?

Maybe for really old gay men but nobody else cares about her. She's actually a bit of a joke OP.

So no...

by Anonymousreply 703/09/2013

that was Cheesy-tastic.

by Anonymousreply 803/09/2013

She was a great singer and stage presence when she was young. She could knock it out of the park without fireworks and backup dancers and other theatrics.

And Halstons costumes were Amah-zing.

by Anonymousreply 903/09/2013

That was thrilling. Thanks,OP.

I have a question that I've wanted to ask here at the DL for the longest time. I was here when everybody, including me, gorged ourselves over her marraige to David Gest. Good Times.

Ok, I'll stop beating around the bush..deep breath...

Did Liza marry her husbands knowing they were gay before she married them?

by Anonymousreply 1003/09/2013

"New York, New York" is truly an original Liza Minnelli song. And as much as I like Frank Sinatra, it's not his song. He sort of mangled it. Liza does it overwhelmingly better.

by Anonymousreply 1103/09/2013

R10, she did, Dorothy, she did!

by Anonymousreply 1203/09/2013

Thanks for posting that OP. Sometimes I forget why I like her. I saw her live at the Winter Garden back in the 70s when she did Liza with a Z.

THIS, however, was a pull-out-all-the-stops, truly amazing performance. Even in full throat, you could hear each word distinctly. Imagine being up there and being the recipient of all that love and applause! You could practically sense the ghost of her mother up above rooting for her to pull it off.

And she did.

by Anonymousreply 1303/09/2013

I loved her then. I've seen the movie Cabaret more times than I can count. I even bought the album, back in the day.

I know this is heresy, but I really this she was a much better singer in her prime than her mother ever was.

by Anonymousreply 1403/09/2013

Yup, that's how it's done...

by Anonymousreply 1503/09/2013

In her day no one came close. No one gave a live concert like Liza. Truly thrilling. Sadly those days are long gone. The voice is shot due to years of drug, alcohol abuse and smoking. Liza lives to perform. If she didn't have that, I think she'd die. She will continue to perform even though what she had is long gone. Bless her for that.

by Anonymousreply 1603/09/2013

She's never looked taller.

by Anonymousreply 1703/09/2013

The Sky Arts Channel in the UK has been broadcasting all the episodes of The Judy Garland Show and they aired the one the other day when young Liza made her first solo television appearance singing, I think, Put On A Happy Face, singing and dancing all over the place. She's amazing. I should find it on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 1803/10/2013

She should have worn heavier blush in a darker shade.

In such a big stadium with the audience so far away, she needed stronger make-up to contour her cheekbones.

by Anonymousreply 1903/10/2013

She was never a better singer than her mother. Never.

by Anonymousreply 2003/10/2013

She's very good at over-the-top Mama Rose type Broadway numbers like this, but doesn't usually sound that good when she attempts straightforward pop. But there's no problem with only be great at one specific type of music. When was this concert? I didn't know she was ever popular enough to do stadium concerts, she's lucky to get 5,000 at a concert now.

by Anonymousreply 2103/10/2013

R18 here ya go.

by Anonymousreply 2203/10/2013

R21 Pretty sure it was done after rehab stint number one which came right after she did THE RINK on Broadway. HBO taped a Liza in London concert and she had that same hair style.

by Anonymousreply 2303/10/2013

R7, you're so cute. Stomp your feet all you want, she's an icon.

by Anonymousreply 2403/10/2013

I wish the Super Bowl half-time shows were more like this, and less like the slutty crap-tastic Beyonce show we saw this year.

by Anonymousreply 2503/10/2013

[quote] This is how you command an entire stadium full of cheering people.

If you're old, trashy, and find sparkly drag queens an underestimated art form, perhaps so.

by Anonymousreply 2603/10/2013

This is from Liberty Weekend in July of 1986, celebrating the anniversary of the Statue of Liberty.

Liza performed at the closing night ceremonies at Giants Stadium.

by Anonymousreply 2703/10/2013

"She should have worn heavier blush in a darker shade."

I like blue.

by Anonymousreply 2803/10/2013

I agree, R20. They're different voices anyway. I think Liza excelled as an actress which makes her an interesting interpreter but Judy was, y'know, a force of nature.

by Anonymousreply 2903/10/2013

Judy -- all her movies in 14 minutes

by Anonymousreply 3003/10/2013

I just want to point out that Liza was never really considered the new Streisand because she never had the recording career component. That's not to take away from her brilliance on stage, screen, and concerts, though.

by Anonymousreply 3103/10/2013

Her makeup is awesome!

by Anonymousreply 3203/10/2013

I never really cared for her music, it just wasn't my taste, but recognize her talent. Always thought this was amazing. Talk about holding a HUGE arena in the palm of your hand. This amazes me.

by Anonymousreply 3303/10/2013

R7 is just adorable! Next he'll tell us how FAAAAAAABuLOUS the Bieber is!

by Anonymousreply 3403/10/2013

R7 Arrested Development fans are quite fond of her as well.

by Anonymousreply 3503/10/2013

Wow, r30. No wonder she died relatively young. She was exhausted. Also, never knew she did blackface.

by Anonymousreply 3603/10/2013

Miss Patti LaBelle performing at the same event.

by Anonymousreply 3703/11/2013

Liza is great in her own right and there is no need to compare her with her mother. No one could be Judy.

by Anonymousreply 3803/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!