Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Imagine China become the United States in terms of immigration?

Wouldn't it be awesome?! I went to China last summer and Shanghai was multicultural already. I totally dig the idea of it becoming multicultural and opening its doors to immigrants just like the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 1903/11/2013

by Anonymousreply 103/09/2013

Not. Going. To. Happen.

by Anonymousreply 203/09/2013

If you want a better fantasy. Imagine the Philippines and Mexico with a birthrate no higher than the USA.

by Anonymousreply 303/09/2013

China has always, throughout its history, thought of foreigners as inferior in both culture and blood.

I predict that while China may allow foreigners to work there, it will never allow them or their children to assimilate, or to become citizens.

by Anonymousreply 403/09/2013

R4, Do all countries/cultures think of "outsiders" as inferior?

by Anonymousreply 503/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 603/09/2013

OP, are you insane? The only reason the Chinese tolerate immigration (or, rather, foreign workers) is to steal technology and intellectual property from the companies involved. A nation of over 1 billion people is not big in the immigration market.

Also, China deplores its own pluralism and actively seeks to grind differentiation into the dirt in order to preserve the myth of "China," a united nation, rather than the Soviet-style amalgam of subnations that it actually is. Outsiders with other notions are looked at as a danger in this vulnerable, unstable, held-together-by-greed-and-armed-power shithole.

Shanghai? All the other metropolises booming in the artificial and unsustainable nightmare of environmental disaster, false promises, market thievery and consumerist cravenness? You can have it.

by Anonymousreply 703/10/2013

Throw those female babies in the dustbin!

by Anonymousreply 803/10/2013

OP, I have friends that just emigrated from China, and have posted stories on DL about the extreme pressure to conform, fear of standing out at all, and especially the totally backwards thinking on sensuality and sexuality in any form. LOL at their shocked faces when I talked about male strippers, or male beauty or even male physical fitness.

by Anonymousreply 903/10/2013

Like what? Being overrun with Mongolians?

So what? Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 1003/10/2013

Don't make the mistake of thinking aloof china is like shanghai

by Anonymousreply 1103/10/2013

R11, China isn't aloof; they're just a bit shy.

by Anonymousreply 1203/10/2013

Oh, wait a minute. Darn it, I just remembered -- I need to pick up aloof of bread on my way home. Thanks for reminding me, R11!

by Anonymousreply 1303/10/2013

China has always been one of the most difficult peace corps assignments because as a culture they totally shut out foreigners. It is almost impossible to integrate/assimilate into the culture. Therefore it makes is especially difficult for volunteers because they are so isolated. Volunteers there live in some of the most sophisticated living conditions and yet they have some of the highest rate of early termination. They are exclusively teachers because it does not require integration into the community. You can go to a university everyday and teach English to a class, and the students will learn, but you will return to your home alone.

It is a lot easier to deal with no power and water for two years while becoming part of a community then having all the modern amenities and being alone. My relationships with my neighbors and village in West Africa are what kept me going and were by far the most rewarding part of the experience. they accepted me as one of their own, and it really made the time away from my friends and family so much more bearable. You just cannot get that experience in China, no mater how much you may want to have those connections.

by Anonymousreply 1403/10/2013

Ugh. All of not aloof

by Anonymousreply 1503/10/2013

OP knows perfectly well that China isn't going to open up their immigration any time soon.

Trolling along.

by Anonymousreply 1603/10/2013

Japan, on the other hand, may soon have little choice but to increase immigration. It's population is aging and shrinking.

by Anonymousreply 1703/10/2013

R14, My Chinese immigrant friends explained that they felt isolated just because they were taller than their countrymen. Think conformity on steroids. That's why those that cannot learn and participate in school like everyone else are kept at home. Special ed? LOL

1) The good of the country. 2) The good of the neighborhood 3) The good of the extended family 4) Way last is the good of the individual

by Anonymousreply 1803/10/2013

Perhaps the Uighurs on DL can shed more light on multiculturalism in China.

by Anonymousreply 1903/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!