Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

GAME OF THRONES

Is this a really good show or not?

I watched the first 3 episodes a few months ago with the intention to watch all of them. I kind of just forgot about it and stopped watching. I didn't think it was bad, I just never had the compulsion to go back.

But I see it's rated 3rd on IMDB's Top TV Series of all-time (right behind the brillian The Wire), so I'm thinking maybe I need to give it another chance.

Are the first few episodes pretty much typical of the series, or does it actually get worth watching?

by Anonymousreply 6902/22/2014

Keep watching. Episode 4 of season one is when it kicked in for me, and by Episode 6 I was hooked for good.

by Anonymousreply 103/09/2013

I'm like you, OP. the gore is a bit much for me too.

by Anonymousreply 203/09/2013

It takes a LOT of time to introduce the characters and the locations and all, and a few more episodes before you start caring about what happens to them.

I was almost through the first season before I really started getting excited about the show, and now it's a favorite.

by Anonymousreply 303/09/2013

I have the same problem with this show. I start to watch an episode and then I get distracted, zone out and when I look back at the television, the episode is over. The episodes I do like are the ones with the Kalesi, Mother of Dragons. Perhaps now that the bastard has left the Watch, and might be getting some pussy, I will pay closer attention.

by Anonymousreply 403/09/2013

I loved this show from that very first scene of the undead Wildings surprising some Nightwatchers. But there are a ton of characters to follow so it helps to have some fellow geeks to help you keep track.

It's just the right mixture of fantasy, horror, sex, violence and overall weirdness to keep me interested. Also, from the youngest actors on up, the cast is just awesome.

by Anonymousreply 603/10/2013

Like others have said it can be a difficult show to get into because there are a ton of different characters, locations and backstory to get through. Definitely takes real immersion.

But it is great television, definitely worth it, and it is only going to continue to get better in this upcoming season and the next.

by Anonymousreply 703/10/2013

It has moments of compelling drama and characterization, no doubt, but I find it to be somewhat overrated.

by Anonymousreply 803/10/2013

Don't get too attached to any of the characters.

by Anonymousreply 903/10/2013

I'm about halfway through the first season, and am now at the stage where I don't even flinch when somebody's head gets hacked off.

by Anonymousreply 1003/10/2013

Love the show, hooked from episode 1, but can someone explain to me why no one wears hats on The Wall? Sure they have thick hair but I don't think that's enough to ward off hypothermia and frostbite.

by Anonymousreply 1103/11/2013

[italic][bold]WHERE[/bold][/italic] are my [italic][bold]DRAGONS?!?[/bold][/italic]

by Anonymousreply 1203/11/2013

I'm bumping this up to the top because of the article I read in the most recent Entertainment Weekly. For those who read the books, I believe that the Red Wedding will be in Episode 9: The Rains of Castamere. Benioff and Weiss didn't out and out say it but again, for those who read the books, it was pretty obvious when they said that they're doing the most famous event of the book series so far.

For me personally, Dany's "acquisition" of the Unsullied warriors and the way she went about it via her "children" is my favorite moment of the book series thus far and that they're definitely doing.

by Anonymousreply 1303/19/2013

We had a more general thread about Season 3 speculation that I would recommend you find where we talk about this. This thread isn't really about spoilers.

Anyway, both the things you mention are in the upcoming season. I believe the acquisition is episode 4 and yes the RW is episode 9.

by Anonymousreply 1403/19/2013

I had a mini marathon this weekend and watched the first season. Overall, it's pretty good (especially Peter Dinklage), but a couple of characters are so bad they're not even entertaining. For instance, I cringe whenever Ceirce (Lena Headley) is onscreen. Her character is so vile she's beyond redemption. At least Geoffrey is campy.

by Anonymousreply 1503/19/2013

Great. So now some asshole is going to spoil The Red Wedding.

by Anonymousreply 1603/19/2013

[quote]For those who read the books, I believe that the Red Wedding will be in Episode 9: The Rains of Castamere. Benioff and Weiss didn't out and out say it but again, for those who read the books, it was pretty obvious when they said that they're doing the most famous event of the book series so far.

I think both you and they are wrong. Most readers of the series (from what I've read on line) actually find the Purple Wedding much more memorable.

by Anonymousreply 1703/19/2013

R11, they're REAL men, not pussies!

They don't need no stinkin' hats!

by Anonymousreply 1803/19/2013

[quote]At least Geoffrey is campy.

Jack Gleeson's performance reminds me of Jay Robinson as Caligula in "The Robe" and "Demitrius & the Gladiator."

by Anonymousreply 1903/19/2013

The show is best at its campiest. I honestly don't know how the actors manage to say some of the lines with a straight face.

by Anonymousreply 2003/19/2013

It's very good!

by Anonymousreply 2103/19/2013

I think the show is genius.

The writing/storytelling are phenomenal, as are the actors. I'm not a sword and sorcery geek but for some reason I got swept up into this from the very first episode.

Couldn't resist so I took a peak at the Fire&Ice Wiki to get a sense of Arya's story arc. WOW. I really hope she comes fully into what is being implied. You could spin off a whole series of books from her exploits in that regard alone.

Anyway, for me GOT is up there with The Wire.

by Anonymousreply 2203/19/2013

Nowhere near The Wire, but still enjoyable, and very well done.

by Anonymousreply 2303/19/2013

It's not a genuinely great drama the way THE SOPRANOS and THE WIRE were (and the way MAD MEN and BREAKING BAD are), but for what it is it's terrific.

by Anonymousreply 2403/19/2013

Fantasy is a genre I 've never cared about, neither to read or to watch. But this series had me hooked from the first episode. In fact, by the time the final episode of Season One aired, I started reading the books.

I can't wait for it to start up again. Altho, personally I wish they'd at least shoot 13 episodes instead of ten. It seems such a long wait from one season to the next.

by Anonymousreply 2503/19/2013

The other Game of Thrones thread has spoilers.

by Anonymousreply 2603/19/2013

I only saw the first episode and it seemed like a show for straight fanboys to jerk off to.

by Anonymousreply 2703/19/2013

Well, R27, keep enjoying "Glee," "Smash," "The Real Housewives" shows and "Dancing With the Stars"!

by Anonymousreply 2803/19/2013

Peter Griffin is dating Khaleesi.

by Anonymousreply 2903/19/2013

Stewie won't be pleased.

by Anonymousreply 3003/19/2013

It's an awesome show. The huge battle episode in season 2 where they set the ocean on fire is probably one of the best hours of television I have ever seen.

Also, I do enjoy the Khaleesi and her dragons.

by Anonymousreply 3103/19/2013

I don't watch those shows either, r28. Sorry I so clearly hit a nerve with you.

by Anonymousreply 3203/19/2013

[quote]The writing/storytelling are phenomenal, as are the actors. I'm not a sword and sorcery geek but for some reason I got swept up into this from the very first episode.

THE BOOKS are amazing and the main reason why the series is so good. (Same for The Walking Dead)

Each chapter is titled by character, and everything that happens in a given chapter is seen only from that character's point of view.

Nobody is really good or evil, just varying shades of gray with their own motivations.

And since there is no singular primary character, any character can be killed off at any time. And new characters are introduced as the books go on.

by Anonymousreply 3303/19/2013

[quote]I only saw the first episode and it seemed like a show for straight fanboys to jerk off to.

So you missed the king's brother in bed with another man?

by Anonymousreply 3403/19/2013

The books are really fun until after the 3rd one (which is probably the best of the three). Then they're a mess. Martin clearly got all fucked up with his plotting, and nothing much happens in Book IV and Book V (except for one big exciting duel at King's Landing and for Cersei's big comeuppance). It's like he couldn't figure out what to do after the Purple Wedding and the other big scene at the end of Book III with Sansa and Lysa, but he realized he had some time to kill before the dragons grew big enough and that he also hadn't done enough with the kingdom of Dorne in the far south of Westeros. But those two later books are really disastrous--I hope that the producers severely redact them when making the future seasons of the series after next season.

by Anonymousreply 3503/19/2013

This guy from the show is gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 3603/19/2013

Not a fanboy. Never read the books but I love the show.

by Anonymousreply 3703/19/2013

R36 he really is. In the story. But in real life he is kind of ordinary with a boring personality. He has a foreign accent too. I saw him on a talk show and he was nervous and trying way too hard to be funny and cool. Not.

by Anonymousreply 3803/19/2013

[quote]I don't watch those shows either, [R28]. Sorry I so clearly hit a nerve with you.

The fact that you had to respond to my comment to defend yourself, R27/32, shows that I struck a nerve with you.

by Anonymousreply 3903/20/2013

r36 saw him on good day LA and he was stunningly handsome.

by Anonymousreply 4003/20/2013

I'm more of a Richard Madden fan. He is damn sexy to me and always shows off great personality in his interviews.

by Anonymousreply 4103/20/2013

Nudity, beheadings, and dragons--who could ask for anything more?

by Anonymousreply 4203/20/2013

Agree about Richard Madden. He is gorgeous! His interviews are very good, he is quite the charmer. This show does not have a shortage of handsome men though.

I won't say GoT is one of the best of shows of all time...but it is well done, well acted (for the most part...Jon Snow and Khaleesi are a little shaky in the acting department) and pretty faithful to the source material. I would definitely I say that I find it better then most of the stuff that's on TV today.

by Anonymousreply 4303/20/2013

WSJ Live has a 25 minute interview with the author of the book and the producers of the show. George Martin said he writes the book on a DOS computer via WordStar (I can't remember which version. The segment is dated 03/21/13 10:00 a.m.

by Anonymousreply 4403/23/2013

BUMP!

by Anonymousreply 4503/24/2013

I don't fucking understand the Lannisters at all...maybe it's the fault of the actors, but Ceirce, Goffrey, and Jamie are essentially cartoon villains! They're BAD (all caps) in a way that is so grating, it's hard to watch their scenes. Meanwhile, Tywin has enough nuance to him that you can tell he has a functional moral compass. He clearly isn't a hero by any means, but he's essentially an honorable man who tries to reign in the sociopaths who surround him.

Also, Tyrion is clearly a hero whose dwarfism forced him to develop a personality and unmatched intellect, so I can see how he'd be different from his siblings. But even Ceirce's children (with the exception of Geoffrey) possess his warmth and compassion.

The Starks are honorable...the Baratheons are guided by their cocks...the Tyrells are fabulous...the Lannisters are the only ones who are all over the map. What's worse is, Tywin seems to favor Jamie, even though Tyrion is the most like him in terms of temperament.

I started watching the show via HBO Go last weekend and I'm halfway through the second to last episode of Season 2. It's been a good ride (despite the violence and misplaced nudity); however, I'm a little tired of the heavy handed celebration of moral ambiguity. I get it...the writers think it's clever that the heroes are flawed and the villains have moments of decency. But the tide has got to turn at some point.

by Anonymousreply 4603/24/2013

Misplaced nudity?

by Anonymousreply 4703/24/2013

I think life is all about moral ambiguity, r46, and good art reflects that. It's bad art that insists that heroes are always virtuous and villains are always sinister.

by Anonymousreply 4803/24/2013

R48: Personally, I would argue that the heroes on GoT *are* always virtuous and villains are always sinister.

by Anonymousreply 4903/24/2013

It should be interesting watching Jaime's storyline this season. I'm not sure how the series will handle it, but in the book, his little road trip with Brienne is a big turning point in our perception of his morality.

Cersei has major daddy issues and is angry she wasn't born a man. She's definitely the most psychotic of the bunch. Having read all the books, I can safely say she doesn't really have a soft side.

Tywin is made out to be fairly balanced in the show, but he's done his share of harm to his children... Mostly Tyrion, who he blames for the death of his beloved wife. Tywin's own father was weak, so he's overcompensating a bit with trying to put a strong face forward for the family.

Tyrion is as you say, building other strengths to compensate for his size. He is probably the most heroic one of them, but also the most hated... He's the one who is most like their father.

As for Joffrey, yeah he's just plain evil, no two ways about it. His siblings are very sweet though... his brother is even a little "simple".

by Anonymousreply 5003/24/2013

I've always figured Joffrey is so deranged because he's the product of incest; however, that doesn't explain why Myrcella and Tommen are fairly sweet kids.

by Anonymousreply 5103/24/2013

There's a saying on the show that with Lannisters you can flip a coin: they'll either come out sweet or nasty.

Tywin's wife was supposedly a nice woman, and Tommen and Myrcella are lovely (Tyrion has confirmed this about them). And Tyrion's a good guy though hugely damaged by the many cruelties life and his father and sister have inflicted on him. Kevan Lannister, his uncle, also seems to be a decent person.

Tywin and Cersei are out-and-out monsters. Jaime's basically a bad person overall but has moments of sweetness and loyalty.

by Anonymousreply 5203/25/2013

[quote] Tywin has enough nuance to him that you can tell he has a functional moral compass. He clearly isn't a hero by any means, but he's essentially an honorable man who tries to reign in the sociopaths who surround him.

I think you are letting the fact that Tywin can come off as likable hide the fact that he is a stone cold ruthless man who has no real sense of decency.

I like Tywin as a character, but Cersei and Joffrey get their cruely from somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 5303/25/2013

Jamie is very arrogant and never really had to struggle in his life. He was born beautiful, skilled at the sword, charming and most of all a Lannister, which carries a huge amount of respect and fear in Westeros. A lot of his character flaws sprout from this arrogance and it's in the third book that we see him start to come out of this.

Cersei is wicked, petty and at times maniacal but we see in the later books when she becomes a POV character that there is a lot of backstory to her that, while not justifying her horrible deeds, helps us as readers understand how and why she became "The Evil Queen". I love all the feminist aspects that the writer interjects into her story.

Tywin is a hardass and ruthless but he is also very pragmatic, which is his strength. He sees things for what they really are instead of how they should be. His only glaring weakness is not being able to get past Tyrion's dwarfism to see that he truly is the heir that he needs to guide his family in the future.

Tyrion is one of the most dynamic characters in the series and you can definitely tell that the writer has put the most thought crafting him. His strengths and weaknesses are fleshed out brilliantly thought out the series and even though he is a person to root for the writer never lets us forget that Tyrion is very much a Lannister and therefore damaged in his own ways. He is just as arrogant as his siblings.

Joffrey is the only main character in the series who is one dimensional. There just is no remorse with this kid. He is psychotically evil and twisted. But even though he is one dimensional, he is not one-note and everytime that little prick was in a scene in the books my stomach would get knotted because I knew something obnoxious and sick was about to happen LOL.

by Anonymousreply 5403/25/2013

In ancient Rome you couldn't figure out in the imperial family who would be evil and who would be good. Germanicus, the son of Livia, was one of the greatest heroes in the history of the empire, and his wife Agrippina was considered the soul of Roman matronly honor; their son Caligula was by most accounts a psychopathic monster who let his omnipotence go to his head.

In GoT, Jofrrey is a complete aberration: a psychopath born to the ruling Lannister family. Tywin Lannister, his grandfather, is a heartless bastard, but is that way because of a complex back story involving his father's public self-humiliation; Cersei is an icy bitch who nonetheless will do nearly anything for her beloved children. Her cruelty stems from her poor treatment by her father, who in effect handed her over for dynastic reasons to Robert Baratheon whom she found unattractive and who loathed her (he was in love with another woman). She is also burdened by a horrible prophecy about her children that they've yet to reveal on the show.

by Anonymousreply 5503/25/2013

[quote]the Tyrells are fabulous...

We don't know that much about them other than that they are ambitious but less warlike than the other ruling houses. They are historically one of the richest families (because the Reach is one of the richest places in terms of natural resources), though they are not as rich as the Lannisters.

Olenna Tyrell is a fabulous scheming bitch; her son, the head of the hourse, is fat and lazy; his daughter Margaery is extremely ambitious, but mostly a good girl; her brother Loras wants fame and glory.

by Anonymousreply 5603/25/2013

I haven't read the books, so please be stingy in terms of spoilers; however, I find it highly doubtful that Tywin will put up with Joffery's shit once he formally assumes his role as Hand of the King. Tywin's pragmatism saved the prisoners of Harenhaal, and his treatment of Arya was kind...still, he's a no-nonsense man who doesn't seem like he'd suffer a petulant little brat like his grandson for any length of time.

Re: Margaery Tyrell

The following is one of my favorite exchanges in the entire series:

Lord Baelish: Do you want to be a queen?

Margaery: No. [Pauses] I want to be *the* queen.

by Anonymousreply 5703/25/2013

I'll be shocked if Joffrey makes it through Season 3 alive.

Joffrey is batshit crazy because he is the product of incest. His sadistic personality is similar to Khaleesi's dead brother and they've mentioned several times how their family (the Targaryeons) were heavily inbred, and their father was the "Mad King."

by Anonymousreply 5903/25/2013

Peter Dinklage was on "The Daily Show" tonight.

by Anonymousreply 6003/26/2013

The "Mad King" didn't start out mad, he went crazey with blood lust and power. When you read the books you read that some of the characters started out supporting the "Mad King" until he went nuts.

It's been a while since I read them, but even Ned Stark and Robert Baratheon supported him. Jamie, too. He's is called Kingslayer, but he did the right thing because Targaeryen was nuts.

Jeoffrey is special. He's a sick, sadistic monster. The episode where hetortures the prostitutes for sport was disgusting. I'd love to see him get his props.

I have a question. We saw the White Walkers coming at the end of Season 2. Are all Whitewalkers bad? In the books, Night Watch Mormont disappears and it's assumed he was killed, while Jon Snow is with the Wildings.

Jon Snow's uncle is also missing since he went on patrol at the very beginning of Season 1. So if these are good guys, and they become White Walkers, will they still be good guys or are we looking at some kind of Zombie army in Season 4 or 5? Or 3?

by Anonymousreply 6103/26/2013

Does anyone have a science background and can explain this to me?

The planet this story takes place on has a sun. There is light and darkness, so the planet revolves around the sun.

But they don't know how long summer or winter will last. Each season lasts for years, but they are unable to calculate how many years.

What would be the astronomical reason for that?

by Anonymousreply 6211/10/2013

The most plausible scientific explanation would be that the star the GoT planet orbits around around a slow irregular variables, which is a star that as a unpredictable and variable solar intensity.

But really, it is just magic, I believe the author has said the way their seasons work is magic, this is a world where magic is a real thing.

by Anonymousreply 6311/10/2013

"Love the show, hooked from episode 1, but can someone explain to me why no one wears hats on The Wall?"

So we can see their faces, and always tell who they are.

It's the same reason that leading characters never wear helmets into battle in Fantasy films, even though a person who did that in a real battle would get a spear through his skull. The only exeption is Tyrion Lannister, who wore a helmet at the Battle of Blackwater, but then we can tell who he is with a helmet on.

by Anonymousreply 6411/10/2013

I love Tywin Lannister, who has a very rare combination of high intelligence and dominant masculinity. He can kick your ass on the battlefield AND in a courtly battle of wits, and he's great fun to watch (and is my new pretend boyfriend). Of course I want to see his battle of wits with the Widow Tyrell spark into romance, because those two are great together.

As to whether he is guided by morality... another fan described him perfectly: "He doesn't have morals, he has standards".

by Anonymousreply 6511/10/2013

R52, that saying was about the (occasionally crazy) Targaryean family, not the Lannisters.

by Anonymousreply 6611/11/2013

Removed form that wretched character, Jack Gleeson is kind of cute.

by Anonymousreply 6712/11/2013

hh

by Anonymousreply 6802/22/2014

Peter Dinklage's tragic fan encounter -

by Anonymousreply 6902/22/2014
Need more help? Click Here.