Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Candice Bergen "Quotas for women are WRONG" Especially in politics.

“I always bristle when I hear, ‘We need more women in politics,’ I just do,” said Candice Bergen.

“I believe that we need more integrous, [sic] strong, capable, people and many of those are women,” she stated.

The notion that all women should all support each other is unrealistic, and competition is a good thing, said Ms. Bergen.

“I think it’s good to have healthy competition. Men compete against each other—it doesn’t mean that they stab each other in the back— but they have different ideas,” she said.

She also took issue with the theory that a critical mass of women in politics—the United Nations puts that figure at 30 per cent—will result in more so-called women’s issues coming to the fore.

She said the theory pigeonholes women by their gender and disregards the fact that women are have individual opinions.

Ms. Bergen also said she believes that feminism is no longer needed.

“We can never forget what the women’s movement did, but I think young women today aren’t thinking that they are downtrodden. I don’t think women today are thinking that they are at a disadvantage,” she said.

by Anonymousreply 1505/19/2014

Candice Bergen is a lesbian. Hello!

by Anonymousreply 103/09/2013

"After all, if these women had better parents who could have paved the way for them and they wouldn't have to work, they wouldn't complain half as much!"

by Anonymousreply 203/09/2013

R1, that's what happens when you're a CLOSETED lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 303/09/2013

So who is her gf?

by Anonymousreply 403/10/2013

Not lesbo. No way in hell.

by Anonymousreply 503/10/2013

You often find women who've build their careers based on nepotism or other connections speaking out against "quotas".

by Anonymousreply 603/10/2013

Is she or isn't she?!

by Anonymousreply 703/10/2013

OP is a douchebag because he knows it's not the actress Candace Bergen. It's Canada's Conservative MP Candice Bergen.

Probably the same OP who pulled the same stunt last year.

It's too bad that so many DL posters don't know political leaders outside the US.

by Anonymousreply 803/10/2013

Canada? Oh my. Why would we need to know their leaders?

by Anonymousreply 903/10/2013

[quote]It's too bad that so many DL posters don't know political leaders outside the US.

Maybe that says something about Canada.

I was in Germany a few decades ago just walking down the street when I spotted Chancellor Helmut Kohl walking with another guy who sort of looked familiar. I asked if I could take a picture (didn't know if there was a version of Secret Service watching) so they two men paused while I took the picture. That night I was watching the TV news and they told that Canada's Prime Minister, Brian Mulroney, was a guest of Kohl.

In Lisbon, I spotted the President of Portugal, saw P.M. Hawke in Sydney, and the Queen Mother in London.

by Anonymousreply 1003/10/2013

Well to be honest, I don't really expect anyone to know who MP Candice Bergen is. I just remember that OP pulled the same stunt last year, conveniently leaving out a link (as he has so again with this thread) because the link would have exposed the bored little troll right away.

Candice Bergen the actress has always been a progressive figure. That's what initially sparked my skepticism last year. Any ways, after I learned about the MP, I never forgot her name or how crazy a misogynist she is. I guess Canada is catching up to the US in terms of the number of Conservative wingnuts.

by Anonymousreply 1103/10/2013

anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 1205/19/2014

She's a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 1305/19/2014

OP is a fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 1405/19/2014

Wrong, R5. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 1505/19/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!