The 20 Most Despicable Things Gordon Ramsay had said and done - ranked
Ah, Gordon Ramsay. Since the Scottish chef began invading kitchens in the eighties and living rooms in the aughts, he's always been ... offputting. But the recent 5,974-word profile in Men's Journal reminded the world just how gross the guy can really be. Of course, this is the kind of "negative" press the chef seems to actively seek — it gives him fuel to continue to build his empire of television shows, cookbooks, and overpriced restaurants. Grub Street doesn't begrudge Ramsay for being successful, but his success comes at the expense of manners and taste. At this point, Ramsay isn't a chef; he's a full-fleged reality star, one who can stir up more drama than a Real Housewife. Here's proof: We've rounded up Ramsay's most revolting actions and comments over the years, and ranked them in ascending order of offensiveness.
20. Tried to Screw April Bloomfield (2013) He trademarked the Spotted Pig in the U.K. in an attempt to prevent April Bloomfield, Ken Friedman, and one-time rival Mario Batali from opening a location across the pond. He surrendered the trademark, but only after public pressure.
19. Disturbed London Tube Riders (1993) A cop caught him in a Tube urinal with his head slumped on the wall. One of his comrades was peeing in the sink, and the other had his trousers around his ankles. Ramsay's spokeswoman insisted that there was "nothing sexual" about the incident. He got charged with indecency.
18. Got Plastic Surgery to Look Less Threatening (2009) "Simon Cowell suggested that now I'm a success in America, I should do something, so I had a filler put under the deep crevices. It hurt," Ramsay said. Apparently, he also wanted the procedure to make him look not as threatening on television. It would've been cheaper to swear less.
17. Paid £30,000 for a Hair Transplant, Too (2010) He's not even 50, but he's obsessed with maintaining his appearance. Is everyone around Ramsay too scared to tell him he's not a sex symbol?
16. Possibly Cheated on His Wife, Then Gave a Way-Too-Gross Reason for Why He Wouldn't (2008/2013) In 2008, Sarah Symonds, author of the esteemed novel, Having an Affair? A Handbook for the Other Woman, claimed Ramsay cheated with her. He denied allegations, and recently told Men's Journal about how his wife would react: "She's a nut crusher. If I ever fucked up, she'd have my balls in a vise and turn them into a fucking crêpe suzette thinner than the frilliest knickers Paris Hilton's ever worn. She'd turn my ballbag into a doily."
15. Defended Feeding People Frozen Meals at His Restaurants (2009) "Here [at a kitchen facility in south London] Gordon Ramsay chefs prepare components of dishes devised and produced to the highest Gordon Ramsay standards," said Gordon's spokeswoman, after news broke that he uses ready-made meals prepared off site at his restaurants. "These are sealed and transported daily in refrigerated vans and all menu dishes are then cooked in the individual kitchens."
14. Hated on Frank Bruni (2007 to 2013) Though he said he didn't "give two fucks" about Bruni back in 2007 when the critic gave Gordon Ramsay at the London a two-star review, Ramsay has hated on him for years. The latest: Ramsay told Men's Journal, "Frank Bruni fucked me sideways, but the fascinating thing about that, I knew he had the hots for my French maître d'. But I mean, what's Frank Bruni doing now? Tweeting about the government? I piss myself. I wish him the very best."
13. Screwed the Government (2010) He failed to pay $2 million in taxes for his embattled New York restaurant. This came only three months after he got sued for not paying $41,000 in wine bills.
12. Endangered People of England (2002) He drove his BMW the wrong way down a one-way street and failed a breathalyzer test, but somehow, didn't have to appear in court.
11. Kicked Critic A. A. Gill and Joan Collins Out of His Restaurant (1998) "I don't respect him as a food critic and I don't have to stand there and cook for him," Ramsay wrote in an op-ed about why he gave Gill the boot (of course he had to make the incident public knowledge). Gill, however, had the last word, calling Ramsay "a wonderful chef, just a really second-rate human being."
10. Fat-Shamed a Hell's Kitchen Contestant (2007) "You are one chunky monkey, aren't you?" Ramsay spewed at Aaron, a contestant on the U.S. version of his reality show. It's one of the many horrific things he's said on his television series.
9. Shoved a Contestant, Caused Sprained Ankle (2004) "It’s a disaster. A guy on set pissed me off. We got into a shoving match and fell down and did his ankle. Everyone is really pissed off with me," he may have confided to a colleague. The details for this one are a bit dodgy.
8. Got Man Fired After Faking Kitchen Nightmares (2007) As part of his restaurant makeover show, Ramsay faked sequences to portray restaurants in particularly bad lights. The manager of the now-closed Dillons got fired because Ramsay blamed the "difficulties" of the restaurant on him.
7. Abandoned, and Then Sued, His Montreal Restaurant (2012) “We wish Gordon all the best, but he’s a big star and too busy to come to the restaurant,” said the restaurant's owner, Danny Lavy, before he ended the partnership. Ramsay responded by filing a $2.7 million lawsuit for damaging his reputation.
6. Secretly Filmed Father-in-Law and His Mistress (2012) Ramsay hired a detective to take pictures of his father-in-law (and former business partner) with his mistress through a bedroom window. Then, Ramsay threatened to make the photos public. He even texted the woman's son to tell him about the photos. She's now suing him for breach of privacy.
5. Suppressed Female Cooks (1999, 2001) Ramsay thinks that women should be kept out of professional kitchens because there's nothing less sexy than "a woman who's had her hand up a pigeon's arse all day." Female cooks also don't make great employees because "they only work three weeks a month," "you can't get into the staff loo," and "how can you shout at someone who's four months pregnant?"
4. Depicted a Journalist As a Lesbian Pig (2009) In front of an audience of thousands, he called Tracy Grimshaw a "lesbian," and then showed a picture of a near-naked women on her hands and knees with the features of a pig. "That's Tracy Grimshaw," he said.
3. Allegedly Called Marcus Samuelsson a "Fucking Black Bastard" (2000) "I’m going to make sure you have a fucking miserable time here. This is my city, you hear? Good luck, you fucking black bastard," Samuelsson recounted Ramsay saying while he worked as a guest chef at London's Lanesborough Hotel. Ramsay was provoked because Samuelsson hadn't cited him as a role model in an interview.
2. Tricked Vegetarians Into Eating Meat (2003, 2005) While offering pizza samples on his show, a volunteer said he'd been a vegetarian for eight years, and Ramsay claimed the pie was meatless. Only after the guy ate it did Ramsay tell him, "Unfortunately, that pizza has got a lot of mozzarella and tomatoes, but underneath all that there is parma ham … good luck with the Vegemite!" Two years before, when asked for his most recent lie, he boasted, "To a table of vegetarians who had artichoke soup. I told them it was made with vegetable stock when it was chicken stock."
1. Framed Marco Pierre White (2007) "It was me," Ramsay said, years after his restaurant reservations book went missing and he blamed his one-time mentor. "I nicked it. I blamed Marco. Because I knew that would fuck him and that it would call off the dogs … It was my one stroke of genius, fucking someone over without his knowing that I was the one who done it. And the Italians cutting Marco off and wanting to get closer to me, kissing my ass."
I don't know why I used to watch Hell's Kitchen but I'm glad I stopped. Ramsay is vile and repulsive.
A lot of chefs are assholes like this. Add on top of that, real fame? Oy.
[quote]So sick of these psychos being celebrated
Yes, he's an asshole, let's give him a SHOW!
Re. point number 4 - NEVER behave like a misogynistic pig towards Australian journalists. Ramsey was crucified for calling Grimshaw a "lesbian pig". He behaved like the cunt that he is and treated everyone like he'd arrived in some city full of Hicks - whilst opening his restaurant! He had to apologise on her show (which he did with a big smirk on his face) before the media let up. Needless to say his restaurant closed down soon afterwards. Frank Sinatra did the same in 1974 when he called Australian female journalists 'buck and a half hookers'. Unions joined forces and refused to refuel his jet or transport him ANYWHERE on any other aircraft or by any other means of transportation. Sinatra was stuck in his room at The Boulevard Hotel in Sydney for three days without any room service (that Union black listed his suite as well) because he refused to apologise. The head of the Australian Council of Trade Unions at the time was Bob Hawke (who later became Prime Minister). Hawke told Sinatra: "You won't be allowed to leave Australia unless you can walk on water". After three days of cooking his own pasta in his suite (yes this is true) - Sinatra signed an ACTU drafted apology for his comments before they let him go. He had to cancel his second Melbourne concert but did his remaining concert in Sydney. When Sinatra took the stage he said: "What a bunch of coconuts we've had this week!"
I never did understand why people watched anything this asshole does. There's nothing amusing or entertaining about how he treats people like shit.
I wouldn't even consider him a particularly outstanding chef. When I ate in some of his London restaurants, I was positively underwhelmed. The food was mediocre but came with a hefty price tag. I got a distinct impression that the hype was more about the hype and his personality and celebrity connections than anything to do with quality or creativity.
Number 19 could either be a drunken flop or a highly questionable incident.
R12 yes it could be, but at the time the police were saying it was LEWD, for real.
People don't watch him because he's nice.
Don't see how this will hurt him, unfortunately.
Everyone knows his problems are caused by his father in law. rme
He's Scottish? He doesn't sound it.
I'd heard of a few of these incidents in isolation and for the most part thought it was for show or publicity. I didn't realize how much of a sociopath he can be.
Pretty sure he was also in Australia on a visit earlier in his career and was vile about Joan Campbell - the doyenne of the Oz vogue entertaining magazine and much loved food personality - cook, editor, author. Out of memory he was just nasty about her because she was a big, elderly woman and he didn't like her looks - and made fun of her publicly. Newsflash mate: take a look in the mirror sometime! Be sooooo pleased when this vile yolk gets his comeuppance - and sure he will at some stage...
Gordon Ramsey has a huge ego, yes. But most of OP's list is of alleged incidents, who knows how much of it is true or exaggerated. And the rest of the list is really just Ramsey being outspoken and...British. Not really a villain in my opinion.
So yeah I'm ok with Ramsey. And I'd probably let him f*ck me, he's kinda hot.