Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hey DL, I would like to join one of those warehouse clubs

Is one better than the other? I've held off for years, but recently thought it would be a good idea. In my area we have Costco, Sam's and BJ's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 8303/10/2013

Costco is great! Recently bought a car through them. Gas is generally about .20 less than a regular station ( in my area at least ) I buy a 106 Oz can of San Marzano tomatoes for 3.99 Freeze them because I cook with tomatoes a lot. Just a great place.

by Anonymousreply 103/09/2013

Costco really is the best.

by Anonymousreply 203/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 303/09/2013

Sam's Club is owned by WalMart and therefore evil.

by Anonymousreply 403/09/2013

Costco but only buy what you need not stuff you decide you need when you get there. You'll end up with a trampoline.

by Anonymousreply 503/09/2013

Only trashy people shop at warehouse clubs.

by Anonymousreply 603/09/2013

Totally false, r6. Some anthropologist discovered that the opposite was mostly true - a higher percentage of upper earners shop at warehouse clubs than lower earners.

It surprised me too. Although...I suspect it was David Brooks, so there probably should be a caveat emptor inserted here.

by Anonymousreply 703/09/2013

R6 is bitter because she can't afford the membership.

by Anonymousreply 803/09/2013

R6 scrubs toilets at a warehouse club. Missed a spot in the third stall, some shit crust was left on the flusher, take care of it please.

by Anonymousreply 903/09/2013

Costco pays its employees decent wages with health care and is unionized.

And it rocks as well, and donated money to the Obama campaign.

by Anonymousreply 1003/09/2013

Before you join, go in and get a one-day guest pass. That way you can take a look around and see if anything appeals to you. I did Costco for a year, but didn't bother to renew because I just didn't use it enough and wasn't that crazy about the selection.

by Anonymousreply 1103/09/2013

My Costco has the best produce in town.

by Anonymousreply 1203/09/2013

Great cheese selection, too btw. Alot of them are DOC or otherwise marked as being officially up to their regional/national standards. Things like parmesan, blue cheese, feta, etc. last a long time if you store it right, so you don't have to worry about using a ton all at once.

Their housebrand stuff "Kirkland" is usually quite good.

by Anonymousreply 1303/09/2013

As useful as they are, these clubs do promote a siege mentality - it's hilarious just to see people pushing two carts, piled high with a ridiculous amount of bulk products.

by Anonymousreply 1403/09/2013

R5 is correct. Once i get inside i want everything I see!

by Anonymousreply 1503/09/2013

I love Costco, but I've learned to shop judiciously by skipping over many parts of the store. I like their meat, cheese, produce, frozen foods, dog food and some things from the canned goods section.

by Anonymousreply 1603/09/2013

Costco is the best to it's workers. They offer double warranty on large electronics (like a big flat screen) and what they carry can vary from store to store. They tend to stock what is popular in that area.

Down side - only cc they take is amex.

by Anonymousreply 1703/09/2013

All we have here is Sam's Club. I wish Costco or BJ's would open here.

You really need a calculator and the knowledge of the going unit price of what you're buying when shop at a warehouse store.

There is the convenience factor of getting a lot of something at one time that you use regularly -- but you MAY or MAY NOT save any money.

by Anonymousreply 1803/09/2013

Just go to Bluebird (dot) com and open an American Express prepaid credit card. Your limit is the amount of money you put on it.

You can load it for free with direct deposit, or electronic transfer or free with cash at any Walmart.

You can use a Gift Certificate at Costco, so just have your Costco friend buy you a gift card and you don't need a receivership to use it.

by Anonymousreply 2003/09/2013

You should have made a poll. Costco is winning so far. Also, Costco donates to progressive causes and the CEO recently said the minimum wage should be raised. They pay their employees an average of 15-17 an hour whereas Sam's Club pays minimum wage.

Warehouse shopping isn't very effective for a single person and can still be difficult for a couple. You actually need a family size group to justify shopping there. Toilet paper is super cheap but you have to get a minimum of 30 rolls. It's the buying in bulk principle. A family will go through that, a single person not so fast.

You can buy a single 5 hour energy drink for 3 bucks at the grocery store, you can buy a case at costco for about 25 dollars (averaging a dollar a bottle). It's bulk buying.

by Anonymousreply 2103/09/2013

Frau thread? The gays like to buy in bulk and save money, too.

Oh, and another vote for Costco.

by Anonymousreply 2303/09/2013

I have a Costco near me and I love it. They have the best produce and meats, and the Kirkland products are usually great. I share a membership with my neighbour and we often shop together and split things like bulk packages of TP. It has worked out well for both of us.

by Anonymousreply 2403/09/2013

Costco takes debit cards. MSNBC had a special on Costco that was really interesting. My brother builds there stores and he loves working with them. He told me that when he went into the stores with the president of Costco ( not certain of the actual title) he knew the employees names. They put my brother up in a condo on the beach in Hawaii while he was building a store there.

by Anonymousreply 2503/09/2013

Warehouse places are over run with rich people. They are the cheapest fuckers out there.

That said, CostCo. Sam's club is so plebeian.

by Anonymousreply 2603/09/2013

R13 What's the right way to store this big-ass chunk of Jarlsberg I bought at Costco because it was at least $1/lb., maybe $2, cheaper than anywhere else. I've had it for two weeks now, and it looks like it'll be around for a lot longer. TIA.

by Anonymousreply 2703/09/2013

R27 cut it into sections and freeze it.

by Anonymousreply 2803/09/2013

Thanks, R28.

by Anonymousreply 3003/09/2013

Try Columbia House.

by Anonymousreply 3103/09/2013

Is Columbia House new or some regional chain R31. I've never heard of it. Where do you live?

by Anonymousreply 3203/09/2013

If you freeze cheese, the texture will change and it will become crumbly. Only freeze cheese if you plan on using it in cooking. Your best bet is to do what someone else said, share your purchases with a friend. It maybe too late for that block of cheese but going forward split the cost and the cheese with someone.

by Anonymousreply 3303/09/2013

How much cheese are we talking about?

(Jarlsberg keeps about eight months in the fridge if the exp dates are to be believed.)

by Anonymousreply 3403/09/2013

Unless you are a family of 4, shopping at Costco is not going to save you money, especially after you add in the membership fee. Households of one or two people don't need HUGE suppliies of anything. No one goes in there without spending money on impulse items. When I was a member, I never spent less than $200 a visit. You'll save more money and have a better selection by shopping at Target.

by Anonymousreply 3503/09/2013

I had a big piece of Costco Jarlsberg in my fridge for over a year. As long as it's not opened, it'll keep for a long time. Once you open it, though, you have to use it pretty quickly or keep it very tightly wrapped or in the freezer. By the way, it made a GREAT quiche.

by Anonymousreply 3603/09/2013

[quote]Unless you are a family of 4, shopping at Costco is not going to save you money, especially after you add in the membership fee. Households of one or two people don't need HUGE suppliies of anything. No one goes in there without spending money on impulse items. When I was a member, I never spent less than $200 a visit. You'll save more money and have a better selection by shopping at Target.

This. Unless you plan on making a big purchase like a TV or major appliance, you will probably never make back your membership fee. It really doesn't work out that well if you plan on using it mostly for grocery items. If you factor in the general inconvenience of being stuck buying more than you really need, limited brand selection and restricted payment options it becomes a lot less advantageous.

by Anonymousreply 3703/09/2013

Agree R37

by Anonymousreply 3903/09/2013

How do 3 people go through $700 a month R38? Could you itemize, please.

by Anonymousreply 4003/09/2013

You're showing your age R31!

by Anonymousreply 4103/09/2013

Most people charge their Costco purchases on a credit card. Unless you pay off your credit card in full every month, you're paying a high interest rate on stuff that just sits in your cupboards for 6-12 months before it's used up. That's throwing money away. It's better to buy only what you need, when you need it.

by Anonymousreply 4203/09/2013

[quote]How do 3 people go through $700 a month [R38]? Could you itemize, please.

A couple of bottles of booze at about 50 bucks each, glass food storage containers, shoes, socks, books, dog beds, house/office supplies, toiletries, food - cases of canned goods, enough meat that we can vacuum seal with our food saver (purchased at Costco) to put in the freezer in the garage. It's easy to hit 700 in a month.

by Anonymousreply 4303/09/2013

Are you going to buy one 'em new fangled walkie aroundie phones there?

by Anonymousreply 4403/09/2013

[quote]It's easy to hit 700 in a month.

I'm don't mean to sound like a douche, but it still doesn't make any sense. Are you buying shoes, socks, and dog beds every month? It doesn't sound right. I believe you, but I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 4503/09/2013

In NY, with our stupid blue laws, we can't buy booze at Costco.

by Anonymousreply 4603/09/2013

[quote]I'm don't mean to sound like a douche, but it still doesn't make any sense. Are you buying shoes, socks, and dog beds every month? It doesn't sound right. I believe you, but I don't get it.

No, if you add all that up, it's probably over 700 dollars wherever you go. Dog beds are 40 bucks at PetSmart (Large size), 20 at Costco.

One trip we'd buy the dog bed, storage containers, maybe 120 dollars of booze (three good, large bottles), 6 cases of food (1 case of diced tomatoes, 1 case of chopped mushrooms, 1 case of canned corn or peas, etc.) so on and so forth. Then we won't need to replenish that stuff for several months to a half a year, depending on what it was.

So the next month, we stock up on meats maybe 400 dollars worth, for the freezer, a bag of dog food is about 45 dollars but will last 4 months (we have three dogs which makes it cheap), cleaning supplies, windex, lysol, etc. which will last a half a year, etc. and it all adds up until next time we go, we buy a cuisinart, or coffee machine, clothes, 6 cans of shaving cream, so on and so forth.

by Anonymousreply 4703/09/2013

They sell more than food. They sell everything from cruises, to coffins to cars. We buy most of our stuff there. 700 for three people for most of your purchases is only 233 a month per person.

That is cheap, not expensive.

by Anonymousreply 4803/09/2013

[quote]Unless you are a family of 4, shopping at Costco is not going to save you money, especially after you add in the membership fee

Membership is $55 per year. That is less than $5 a month. I save that much every month on produce and meat alone. Even if you're single or a couple, you will make back your membership and more in a year.

by Anonymousreply 4903/09/2013

[quote] Most people charge their Costco purchases on a credit card.

Costco only accepts American Express. So no, most people do not charge their Costco purchases on a credit card that they don't pay off every month.

by Anonymousreply 5003/09/2013

If you're single, Costco does allow two people on the same membership. I don't think you have to be in the same household. I share one with a friend.

by Anonymousreply 5103/09/2013

I think Costco is superior.

There are two of us and we could easily spend $500 monthly. We also cook a lot and replenish different things at different times. The produce is excellent. Our location also sells New Mexico Pinon Coffee and a Kirkland-branded Borghese skincare line. A lot of canned and frozen foods are organic. We've bought Kirkland luggage and clothing that has worn very well.

At times gasoline is 30 cents less than elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 5203/09/2013

LOL R19.

by Anonymousreply 5303/09/2013

R32, it was a joke. Columbia House was a record warehouse club done through the mail. Mostly in the 80s and 90s. I remember it in the 90s as a kid. You paid a penny for like 12 CD's.

Something about the term "warehouse club" made me think of that!

by Anonymousreply 5403/09/2013

[quote]Costco only accepts American Express. So no, most people do not charge their Costco purchases on a credit card that they don't pay off every month

American Express has numerous types of credit cards, the majority of which do not require payment in full each month. It's not 1970 anymore.

by Anonymousreply 5503/09/2013

There aren't any BJ's in the west, so we only have Sam's and Costco. I have memberships to both; the savings on gas alone pay for the cost of the memberships.

by Anonymousreply 5603/09/2013

I could never shop at BJ's, Costco's or Sams. I would not spend the money there to justify the fee, and I would never in a million years buy meat from there.

by Anonymousreply 5703/09/2013

[quote]I would never in a million years buy meat from there.

Why not? The meats from those places are usually pretty fresh.

by Anonymousreply 5803/09/2013

R33 R34 R36 Thanks so much. I think I'm going to make quiche with it. I have everything I need without having to go to the store, so it's what's for dinner tomorrow.

Thanks again.

(God, it feels weird knowing that people are going to be reading something that's not sarcastic or mean. I wonder if I'll be hated for not being hateful enough.)

by Anonymousreply 5903/09/2013

I know chefs of very good restaurants in my city and all have purchased meat from CostCo when their regular shipments have come in short. I buy almost all my meat there and it's very high quality.

Their seafood is also ethically sourced and they are increasingly offering organic meats and chicken. I spend about $60 on meat and chicken and have enough for meals for two of us for most of the month.

by Anonymousreply 6003/09/2013

R27, not only does that Jarlsberg make great quiche, I use it for macaroni and cheese. With both quiche and macaroni and cheese, you can make several at a time and freeze them. That's the best way I've found to avoid the issue of texture change from freezing.

BTW, I'm a single person who's had a Costco membership for a long time and it pays off for me. A friend and I have a "family" membership now, but I would go back to doing it on my own if he opted out.

I buy a lot of my meat at Costco. I take it home, cut it into smaller servings, shrink-wrap and freeze it in my large stand-alone freezer. I grind my own meat for burgers, and their chuck is good for burgers. They have great prices on their meat.

I do the same thing with produce. I always have fresh and frozen fruit on hand and I make fruit juice in my Vita Mix to freeze. I have the fruit part of six apple pies in the freezer right now, ready to put together with crust and bake. Their produce is priced well and always fresh.

I have two big dogs, and they've stayed healthy on Costco's Kirkland dog food. My vet approves of their food.

I buy all of my gas at Costco and usually save 20-30 cents a gallon. There's a Costco close to my home so I'm not driving a long distance to save a little money.

I recently put new tires on my car that I bought at Costco.

I get my glasses there. My ophthalmologist suggested them. I don't have any drug prescriptions but I understand their drugs are as cheap there as anywhere.

My last two TV purchases were from Costco, and I've bought appliances and electronics there for years with no problems. I bought my last printer and all of my printer ink, paper, all of those things there.

I always comparison shop, so I know when I'm getting a deal. I rarely beat Costco's prices.

by Anonymousreply 6103/09/2013

How is it you're single, R61? You sound like prime husband material.

I go with a friend who has a membership. He and his husband use it for so much, he won't let me pay part of the annual fee. He tried to get new glasses once, but the guy behind the counter was so out of sorts on a Sunday morning, my friend didn't want the guy to give him an eye exam.

I have excellent eyewear insurance, but Costco isn't a member, so I have to go elsewhere. I've been using Warby Parker and Classic Specs. The frames are $69-79 w/o lenses, and I have the lenses made locally. It's worked out well.

I think I'm going to stick with the quiche for tomorrow. I have just the right amount of cream. I've been sick, and I'd rather not go out if I don't have to. I use Martha Stewart's mac & cheese 101, usually with cheddar, gruyere, and Parmigiano-Reggiano. I wonder whether Jarlsberg would get lost in that mix.

Thanks for all your help.

by Anonymousreply 6203/09/2013

I knew a girl who shopped at Costco, but then she died.

by Anonymousreply 6303/09/2013

Costco, carries higher end products like strivecton & better gift card deals & the toilet paper lasts & lasts

by Anonymousreply 6403/09/2013

R27/62, I wouldn't bother using Jarlsberg in MS' excellent macaroni and cheese recipe. Although it would work with the cheddar, the gruyere would overwhelm it.

I began using it because I had a recipe from a good local restaurant that oddly enough called for Velveeta. I took some cooking courses they offered through a local college and asked their head chef about the Velveeta. He said they chose it for its melting qualities and mouth feel. I opted for Jarlsberg instead.

I'm not a husband because I'm one of those odd people who simply enjoy being single. Many, maybe most, of the activities that make me happiest are individual pursuits. The last several men I've been involved with seemed to think that when I sat in my favorite reading chair, turned on the lamp and picked up a book, that was a signal I needed someone to talk to me.

I hope you feel better soon.

by Anonymousreply 6603/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 6703/09/2013

Costco also has amazing deals on cell phone plans. Computer peripherals as well.

by Anonymousreply 6803/09/2013

[quote]In spite of the fact that Costco gave dipshit Obama campaign money, it is the best warehouse club.

Do you suppose that the ethic that led the owner to donate to the Obama campaign might be what makes Costco the best warehouse company?

by Anonymousreply 6903/10/2013

When you buy electronics at Costco they give you a free 2 year warranty.

by Anonymousreply 7003/10/2013

Their electronic selection is terrible. For instance, they don't carry the latest model TVs that you'd want for a high-end home. It's all Wal-Mart quality.

by Anonymousreply 7103/10/2013

I prefer to shop and spend local.

by Anonymousreply 7203/10/2013

Costco is the best. Sams Club has the same crap Walmart has. Costco gets a lot of items not sold in a lot of stores and they also have a lot of good deals.

BJ's isn't much better than Sams Club either. You can get a free one day membership to most shopping clubs

by Anonymousreply 7303/10/2013

I love Costco! For me, it's definitely worth the $55 annual membership fee, and I'm a single. Unlike Walmart/Sam's Club, which carries cheap crap, Costco carries high-quality merch. Their food and produce are excellent, and their cheese, chocolate, and wine are particularly outstanding. A stop at Costco is a must whenever I throw a party.

I also like them for eyeglasses and contact lenses, health and beauty items (vitamins, toiletries, skin care products, etc.), cleaning products, paper products, and electronics (including batteries, which are, like everything else they carry, dirt cheap). That said, the top two reasons I'm a member are their dog food and prescription drugs. Their house brand dog food (Kirkland) is high-quality and amazingly cheap (around $27 for a 40-lb. bag). And their Rx drugs are a godsend for a person like me (I am underemployed and lack health insurance). Generics there are super-cheap -- I pay around $50 a month for the two prescriptions I'm on. When I tried to fill the prescription at CVS, they tried to charge me over $500 -- seriously!

While it may be true that Costco doesn't any accept credit cards other than AmEx, they do accept debit cards. I use my Visa debit there all the time.

Some people may be unhappy with Costco because it doesn't carry every brand under the sun. But this is part of their business model, and how they keep prices so low, and what's there is some good shit. Plus, they treat their workers well rather than exploiting them, and donate a ton of money to Democrats. What's not to like?

by Anonymousreply 7403/10/2013

[quote] I prefer to shop and spend local.

I have 2 Costco stores within 5 miles of my home, so for me it is local.

by Anonymousreply 7503/10/2013

Coco sucks. Besides that I'd never pay someone to let me buy from them.

by Anonymousreply 7603/10/2013

How much do you singles pay in membership fees? I live near one in a big city and it constantly looks like a zoo with absolutely no parking ever.

by Anonymousreply 7703/10/2013

Membership is $55 annually, whether you're a single or a family. As I noted above, I'm a single and for me it's well worth it.

If you're looking to save a lot of money on groceries but don't want to pay a fee, you might want to check out Trader Joe's. There's no membership fee and they offer tons of high-quality, low-price grocery items. It's just groceries, though -- they don't carry high-end goods like electronics etc., as Costco does. Also, like Costco, the selection of brands they offer is limited. But the brand names they do have tend to be good stuff, and the Trader Joe brand (which is most of what they carry) is also very good.

And fwiw, Trader Joe's, like Costco, treats its employees well.

by Anonymousreply 7803/10/2013

There's no Costco where I live, though the nearest one is in a metro area I travel to frequently, so I guess I could be a member. It really is the best, IMO.

I have a Sams membership, but rarely go.

by Anonymousreply 7903/10/2013

Just FYI, I believe it's the law in most states that you can get prescriptions filled at Costco even without a prescription. And yes, their prices are VASTLY cheaper on generics. I used to do it when I lived closer to a Costco and was without a job (and thus without health insurance) for a while.

by Anonymousreply 8003/10/2013

Yes, anyone can use the pharmacy at Costco. You don't have to be a member. However, all the major pharmacies offer $5 generics now.

by Anonymousreply 8103/10/2013

$5 generics on only a couple of hundred drugs that have been around for decades. I have six prescriptions and none of them fall into the $5 category ($4 at Walmart).

by Anonymousreply 8203/10/2013

I don't eat meat or poultry but I buy those at Costco for friends & everyone says it's excellent quality -- it does look very fresh, good color, well cut, etc.

I do eat fish & that's always been wonderful, both fresh & frozen.

I regularly save quite a bit on yogurt, butter, nuts, honey, Lipton tea bags, cheese, ribbons, dish soap, baking stuff (vanilla, chocolate chips, evaporated milk) -- & I probably save enough on gasoline alone to pay for the annual membership.

R65, would you rather have had them donate to Romney?

by Anonymousreply 8303/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!