Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I love living in Highland Park, Illinois

It really is a true suburban dream. I never thought I'd love it so, but boy, I do ... I have arrived.

by Anonymousreply 4003/09/2013

I live in NYC and I'd slit my wrists if I had to relocate to some dull berg called Highland Park. Christ, even the name is boring.

by Anonymousreply 103/08/2013

Highland Park is pretty--right by the lake and has the Ravinia Festival close by, where there are great concerts and staged musicals in the summer. Not far from Chicago either. Try being a little less provincial, Mr. New York-is-everything.

by Anonymousreply 203/08/2013

Well honey, you're the only one. I grew up in Illinois, and you couldn't PAY me to go back.

by Anonymousreply 303/08/2013

Isn't that where Beth and Calvin Jarrett live?

by Anonymousreply 403/08/2013

All the queens in Chicago are laughing at you.

by Anonymousreply 503/08/2013

I think it's where the film was shot, but the novel's setting was Lake Forest (I think).

As to all the queens laughing at OP--well, if he lives in HP, it means he probably makes more money (or his partner does) than all the queens living in depressing studios in Boystown.

by Anonymousreply 603/08/2013

R6, that's nice.

by Anonymousreply 703/08/2013

Hey, r6 ,

by Anonymousreply 803/08/2013

Wasn't A Wedding set there?

by Anonymousreply 903/08/2013

I grew up in HP (west of the Edens). Once you get away from the historic lakefront neighborhoods, real estate can be rather inexpensive, particularly in the older areas with lots of 60s/70s ranch homes.

I have very mixed opinions about the place. Lots of nose-jobbed, dye-jobbed, arrogant Jappy princesses driving big German SUVs around town shopping while their douchebag lawyer husband is doing douchey shit downtown. Competitive bar mitzvahs, divorced parents fighting for their kids' affection by buying them cars and stuff, entitled asshole kids doing coke in their basements, etc.

That being said, HP is a hugely Democratic-voting place, and I know some really lovely people there. When I was in high school in the 80s, after they shut down Fort Sheridan, which left a poorer, heavily Hispanic elementary school district in/near Highwood up shit's creek with far less funding, the entire city voted to absorb that district into the one serving the more affluent parts of HP, in order to preserve educational equity. I still feel proud of that.

by Anonymousreply 1003/08/2013

[quote]Well honey, you're the only one. I grew up in Illinois, and you couldn't PAY me to go back.

I'm still trying to get the hell out of this shithole state! It's boring, the people are bitchy, and there are no decent jobs. As soon as I get out, I'll never come back.

by Anonymousreply 1103/08/2013

I am with R3. I grew up in Evanston and went to college at U of C. I was out as soon as I graduated.

Highland Park is hardly tony or interesting. Just another strip mall laden, tract house/MckMansion stretch between Chicago and the neighboring states.

by Anonymousreply 1203/08/2013

r11, where in IL do you live? Chicago?

I've been toying with the idea of moving back to Chicago from NYC, even though I hated living there in the past, because real estate is so freaking cheap now, and I have lots of old friends there. I agree that it's boring - lots of poorly educated, uncurious Midwesterners with attitude who distrust anything outside of their comfort zone, a gay world that revolves wholly around alcohol, "the bars" (most of which suck), and sleeping with the same circle of six friends all the time.

NY has become a lot like that, too, in recent years, unfortunately :-/

by Anonymousreply 1303/08/2013

Those Chicago suburbs always make me think of John Hughes 80s movies. He made the people who lived there look like idiots, except Molly Ringwald of course.

by Anonymousreply 1403/08/2013

Good luck R11 - sincerely. It WILL crush your soul, if you stay, particularly if you're gay, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 1503/08/2013

I love IL but will most likely never move back there. They've been getting slammed with snow lately.

by Anonymousreply 1603/08/2013

Best ravines ever...

by Anonymousreply 1703/08/2013

You're a Jew? HP is full of Jews!

by Anonymousreply 1803/08/2013

"The Good Wife" lived there until Chris Noth screwed around.

by Anonymousreply 1903/08/2013

R13 Right now I live in Central Illinois which is Aaron Schock land, so that tells you all you need to know about how fucking awful it is and how stupid the people are. But I've lived in Chicago before too, and it's a bunch of bullshit too - miserable unfriendly people, boring for a big city, and very crime-riddden, especially in the summer. I suggest you take an extended vaction here before deciding to move back, because I know I can't wait to leave.

R15 Thank you. Yes, it is killing my soul and I'm miserable here. I hope I can leave within the next few years.

by Anonymousreply 2003/09/2013

R4, Beth left Calvin to go stay in Houston with her brother. Didn't you hear?

by Anonymousreply 2103/09/2013

I live in a college town in upstate NY--a pretty enlightened and very gay-friendly one--but I grew up in a different Chicago suburb from HP--Oak Park--and I would move back in a nanosecond if jobs and family commitments made it possible.

I think some people (probably those of who grew up in suburbs) may simply find living in a really urban area (i.e. Manhattan, Boystown, the Castro) just too jarring. I love NYC, but I don't think I could actually cope with living there (expenses aside).

by Anonymousreply 2203/09/2013

"Expenses aside"

It's so odd that people in datalounge are afraid to admit that cost bothers them.

by Anonymousreply 2303/09/2013

I hate to be a "soul crusher", but with a few minor variances in character and values, people and places are pretty much the same wherever you go.

If you are miserable in one place, odds are just moving to another won't cure that.

by Anonymousreply 2603/09/2013

I'd rather eat glass.

by Anonymousreply 2703/09/2013

FF #24. Troll alert.

by Anonymousreply 2803/09/2013

r13 - beautiful summary. for both chicago and NYC (where I live).

so fucking depressing.

by Anonymousreply 2903/09/2013

My mother lived in Highland Park (and then she died). When I visited her in the last several years, I was amused by the "Character Counts in Highland Park" signs at intersections. They were made from recycled stop signs and added pearls of wisdom like, "Don't intentionally hurt others." I'd love to know whose brainchild that was.

I lived in HP for a couple of years as a teenager, then got the hell out. Yes, it is very pretty, at least the parts near the lake (my parents lived in the Ravinia area) but it is unbearably smug and boring. If you're ever in the area, though, the Chicago Botanical Garden is not to be missed.

by Anonymousreply 3003/09/2013

We all have our own versions of Tasty Meadows.

by Anonymousreply 3103/09/2013

I live in Highland Park, TX. I hate it!

by Anonymousreply 3203/09/2013

Just moved back to Highland Park, MI, lots of big arab dicks, and the homosex

by Anonymousreply 3303/09/2013

OP, I lived in HP for 3 months after graduating high school. I actually lived on Ft. Sheridan grounds. It was a wonderful place for me, as a southerner, at that age.

The memory of a Mexican restaurant, Las Tres Hermanas, remains with me. They had good guac. And, what is the name of the restaurant up there, Buffo's? That was the first time I had a burger that wasn't well done. From that point on, I've always asked for my burgers to be cooked well done.

by Anonymousreply 3403/09/2013

Highland Park isn't so bad compared to the big McMansiony types of suburbs where all the homes are new, huge bland monstrosities (e.g., Naperville) or the old money, we're rich and you're not suburbs (e.g., Winnetka).

It has a nice little downtown with some local stores and an amazing BBQ place.

You could do worse, OP. And if you seriously need to get your cocktail on and want to go to the city without driving, you can do Metra.

by Anonymousreply 3503/09/2013

That's where the Obamas live, no?

by Anonymousreply 3603/09/2013

No. They live in Kenwood.

by Anonymousreply 3703/09/2013

That was Highwood, not Highland Park, R34. And it is now developed as civilian housing.

by Anonymousreply 3803/09/2013

Got it,

by Anonymousreply 3903/09/2013

Thank you, R38. It was 24 years ago, so my memory isn't as good as it once was.

by Anonymousreply 4003/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!