Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

SIDE EFFECTS starring Jude Law & Rooney Mara

...and DL faves Channing Tatum and CZJ!!

Have we talked about this one yet?

Just saw it today. It was totally outlandish, yet stylish and engaging.

But if this is the best he can do, Steven Soderbergh is indeed ready for retirement.

by A Blixareply 4011/29/2014

Never have thought Soderbergh was very outstanding as a director. He does a good solid job but that's about it. No really outstanding performances or interesting point of view or style just a decent job at not fucking anything up.

by A Blixareply 103/08/2013

OP, can you spoil it please? I will never see it at the theater but am curious.

by A Blixareply 203/08/2013

I was similarly disappointed. The movie had a promising opening but became duller and duller. i think Soderbergh is right: It's time to retire or at least take a good long rest to recharge.

by A Blixareply 303/08/2013

It's not horrible, but it could have been so much better with just a little more clarity and economy and a more authentic feel for the law.

by A Blixareply 403/08/2013

R3 I agree. SPOILERS

It started out with a good premise but then after about 30 minutes it dropped the ball.

by A Blixareply 503/08/2013

Rooney murders Channing. Planned the whole thing because he was arrested for insider trading and destroyed their life. Went from houses in the hamptons to living in Washington Heights. She studies people who have depression, then fakes months of depression and a suicide attempt so she can murder Channing in a blackout "depressive episode."

She targets Jude Law as her shrink, who has a history with another young, pretty patient that died. Rooney and CZJ make the lez lez and are in on a plan to get Jude to prescribe a new drug called Ablixa to her so that Rooney can blame the side effects for the blackout murder.

Meanwhile, the bad press causes Ablixa's stock to plummet, Jude Law's life is ruined, and CZJ makes a shitload of money by buying stock in Ablixa's closest competitor, which was the main part of the plan with Rooney anyway.

Jude Law gets wise, gets Rooney to admit to the plan while she's gotten off for the murder and put into a looney bin under his care. Rooney double crosses CZJ, who is arrested, though Rooney is still technically under Jude Law's care in the looney bin. Since CZJ and Jude Law had a side deal that has given Jude Law a chunk of the money without anyone's prior knowledge, he's good, then double crosses Rooney who thinks that by turning in CZJ she won't have to go back to the looney bin, but she does.

She is trapped under Jude Law's "care" because while completely sane, she's still a murderer who will go to prison if she deviates from anything Jude tells her to do. He's got the money, gets his life back, and has complete control over Rooney, who nobody believes when she tries to tell the truth.

The End.

by A Blixareply 603/08/2013

Jude Law looks bad. To quote Emma Bombeck on Elizabeth Taylor...I always wanted to look like Jude Law I do.

by A Blixareply 703/08/2013

Thank you r6. I guess I will catch it on video or HBO. It sounds ok but not the greatest.

by A Blixareply 803/08/2013

Yes, thank you r6. I saw the movie and didn't get as much out of it as your brilliant summary.

And for the Channing Tatum fans, he plays the Janet Leigh role, if you know what I mean.

by A Blixareply 903/09/2013

How old is CZJ?

by A Blixareply 1003/09/2013

I am 33

by A Blixareply 1103/09/2013

35, R10. Always 35.

by A Blixareply 1203/09/2013

R6, Thanks for elaborating on the points that I missed in this flick. So did CZJ & Rooney have an affair off screen too?

by A Blixareply 1303/09/2013

Did Kirk Douglas ever bang CZJ after Michael got bored of her and could no longer get it up?

by A Blixareply 1403/09/2013

r13, I read a blind item about CZJ that said that she's pretty much a lesbian now and asked for even more lesbian sex scenes in Side Effects than were originally intended. I know you have to take those with a grain of salt, but it makes sense.

There were a few walkouts from people who didn't realize they were walking into a Soderbergh film and weren't expecting his particular aesthetic (I.e. dour and, um, "deliberately paced").

I thought the movie was pretty damn good for what it was, but in the 90's this type of film would've been slicker, sexier, and sleazier.

We really don't get good adult thrillers anymore. I was actually watching Basic Instinct on Netflix recently and realized that over 20 years later not only does it still work beautifully, but an adult sexual thriller of that nature would never be released today.

(P.S., can somebody start a thread about Basic Instinct?)

by A Blixareply 1503/09/2013

When Channing exited the movie, I lost interest.

by A Blixareply 1603/09/2013

This is the first time I've seen Rooney Mara. Is that glazed expression and dazed demeanor typical? Somehow I have a feeling they weren't put on just for the character.

Also, got a laugh at how the couple, Rooney and Channing, were forced to move to Washington Heights after his arrest and financial ruin and yet the Washington Heights apartment was a gorgeous loft most NYers woud kill for.

I must say I loved Jude Law with the darker thinner hair and less glam look, as more of an everyman. His vests and cardigans were very appealing on him.

And Polly Draper and Mamie Gummer as essentially crowd extras.

by A Blixareply 1703/09/2013

by A Blixareply 1803/09/2013

In spite of it's mediocrity the film got some rave reviews. I'm surprised more people here and out there haven't seen it.

by A Blixareply 1903/09/2013

Rooney Mara seemed to be channeling Mia Kirshner.

by A Blixareply 2003/09/2013

Love SS, liked this movie.

He will NEVER beat Schizopolis.

by A Blixareply 2103/09/2013

This movie has just been released on On Demand and I watched it this weekend. Overall it was pretty enjoyable. Glad I didn't spend the money to see it in the theater. The anti-pharma messaging was way overplayed (and I'm anti-pharma), but the storyline was interesting.

I wondered how CZJ felt acting in this movie about drugs for mental illness when she herself is/was undergoing treatment for bi-polar. Also she's finally starting look her age.

Rooney Mara seems medicated at all times so this was a perfect part for her.

by A Blixareply 2205/28/2013

Who is keeping Rooney Mara in business? Certainly not her talent or charisma.

by A Blixareply 2305/28/2013

I thought Rooney Mara was awful - just so charisma-free. I didn't enjoy it. I hated the change of POV half-way through the movie. It felt like a cheat, and made the movie feel disjointed IMO.

by A Blixareply 2405/28/2013

I liked the movie better in the early 90s when it was called "Malice," and Nicole Kidman had the Rooney Mara part.

by A Blixareply 2505/28/2013

Very entertaining movie, although Mara is probably too muted.

Jude Law is pretty great.

by A Blixareply 2609/08/2013

[quote]Also she's finally starting look her age.

Indeed - she doesn't look a day over 55!

by A Blixareply 2709/08/2013

I was originally slated for Rooney' part but the studio was afraid Channing was too old to play my husband. The curse of my eternal youth!

by A Blixareply 2809/08/2013

Good job by Jude Law in this movie.

Agree with OP--stylish movie, etc..

by A Blixareply 2909/09/2013

I loved this movie. It was a classically stylish old-school thriller. I'm usually pretty wise to what will happen in a movie, but this one kept me guessing. Whole cast was great.

And I totally have the hots for Michael Nathanson, who played the Assistant D.A.

by A Blixareply 3009/09/2013

I rather liked it but not a Rooney Mara fan and even less of a Kate Mara fan.

by A Blixareply 3109/09/2013

Polly Draper looked good--I couldn't believe it was her--had to wait for the credits.

Haven't seen her in anything in years.

by A Blixareply 3209/09/2013

Preposterous storyline even for this type of movie. How did they know she wouldn't get 20 years in prison? Awful risky just to make some money.

by A Blixareply 3309/09/2013

Maybe it was because I half-watched it in a hotel room while packing to leave, but I thought it this was "meh." It reminded me of those pre-'Lifetime Movie' thrillers of the early '90s, where you can see the twist forecasted early on. I do agree that Polly Draper looked great and CZJ looked older than I'd ever seen her look onscreen before. (Was it the glasses she wore?) Channing Tatum seems like a nice guy, but I have no idea why Soderbergh is so taken with him.

by A Blixareply 3409/09/2013

When I realized it had a lesbian story line I nearly threw up in my mouth. Who needs to see CZJ finger bang Mara?

by A Blixareply 3509/09/2013

Who cares about the plot, Did Jude Law show his hot ass?

by A Blixareply 3609/09/2013

[quote] Who cares about the plot, Did Jude Law show his hot ass?

by A Blixareply 3709/11/2013

it stunk.

by A Blixareply 3809/11/2013

Side Effects was an average movie, not great but average.

by A Blixareply 3911/23/2014

From the look of things from the scenes of Side Effects. Channing Tatum was a bit scared of Rooney Mara. They did not get along much.

Rooney had an issue with the director Steven Soderbergh about the one sex scene she had with Channing Tatum. She refused to do a reversed cowgirl scene with Channing. She was mad at Steven.

I don't know. I just felt that her entitled arrogance nearly killed the movie.

by A Blixareply 4011/29/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!