Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

A union rep wants me to make a statement

It's an entry-level shit job, lots of shady things going on. We're currently not represented by any union.

It's about a former Supervisor (I'm still with the company, just not that building or area).

I heard him say that me and my co-workers were not to talk to union reps because if we did, we quote, "May not have a job". Sort of a threat.

I'm scheduled to meet the union people Tuesday morning and chat with them about it. They want to file some "Fair Labor Practices" violation or something (I'm not savvy about these things).

Should I just blow it off, stand them up? Part of me is afraid the company will find out and I actually will be fired- and I can't afford that right now.

by Anonymousreply 1203/09/2013

Is the union rep fuckable?

by Anonymousreply 103/08/2013

OP.

What do you stand to gain?

What do you stand to lose?

by Anonymousreply 203/08/2013

If you're not represented by a union why do you have a union rep?

by Anonymousreply 303/08/2013

Didn't Sally win an Oscar for this?

by Anonymousreply 403/08/2013

I think it's illegal to fire you for doing anything union related.

Everyone who works for wages in this country should be unionized. It's the only weapon we have.

by Anonymousreply 503/09/2013

R5, Companies can always find an excuse to fire a "trouble maker," or even a potential employee that may not "fall into place" at all times.

by Anonymousreply 603/09/2013

If you're not being represented under NO circumstances help.

All you'll get is a hassle without protection.

Let the union put their money where their mouth is.

It's a piss poor manager that can fire someone, no one is that perfect, that you can't find a legit reason.

by Anonymousreply 703/09/2013

[quote]I heard him say that me and my co-workers were not to talk to union reps because if we did, we quote, "May not have a job". Sort of a threat.

This is illegal. Workers have the right to organize, with or without the benefit of being unionized. The difficulty is proving it.

I gather the union is trying to organize people at your workplace? If so, let the rep know you have been threatened with retaliation.

Now, as for proving it. In some states a person may record conversations to which he is a party. In Texas you can. In Maryland you can't (think Linda Tripp). The union should have legal representation to advise you how to gather evidence of the threat.

If you were fired and had solid evidence of the threat, you'd have a lovely lawsuit against them. But don't risk that lightly.

by Anonymousreply 903/09/2013

These people are trying to organize a union, so they keep approaching us outside the company's properties.

Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning toward calling and declining to participate. This Supervisor has been there for 13 years and he's quite a bully, but the company has never done anything about him. And I live check-to-check; if I lose this crap job I'd be financially devastated.

My goal is really just to get the hell out of there, get a new job.

by Anonymousreply 1003/09/2013

Most managers are bullies, OP.

They know they can pretty much do whatever they want and there isn't a damned thing anyone will do about it - especially if they've been there for a long time.

Companies let these over seers run rampant and threaten people because they need to keep their "numbers" up.

Makes me sick.

by Anonymousreply 1103/09/2013

There are many cases of employees voting to unionize, then companies just refuse to acknowledge the vote.

by Anonymousreply 1203/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.