Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I've gained 30 lbs on Zoloft

Ugh. I just read an article about this; apparently, it is common. what can I do? I work out, eat right, the pounds stay on. If I go off of it, will I lose the weight?

by Anonymousreply 2903/09/2013

I went through the same thing. I switched to wellbutrin and lost the weight.

by Anonymousreply 103/08/2013

I went on Weight Watchers and lost it. I still take Zoloft and haven't gained any weight again.

by Anonymousreply 203/08/2013

it took me a year to lose it

by Anonymousreply 403/08/2013

r3 = Tom Cruise

by Anonymousreply 503/08/2013

I used depositories and it helped

by Anonymousreply 603/08/2013

I have also gained a lot of weight on Zoloft, but the drug has truly helped me so much that I fear changing it might send me back into my depressive thoughts. What to do?

by Anonymousreply 703/08/2013

20 on Cymbalta

by Anonymousreply 803/08/2013

Zoloft is weird. It affects people in such drastically different ways; it suppressed my appetite and I lost weight. It also made me sweat like a pig.

by Anonymousreply 903/08/2013

My friend was on Zoloft and she gained weight. After she managed her depression and was off Zoloft, she lost the weight.

by Anonymousreply 1003/08/2013

Anyone gain weight on Celexa (Citalopram)?

by Anonymousreply 1103/08/2013

I didn't realize how much weight I had gained until I got off it after two years. People started commenting on how skinny I was getting and what my secret was. I have dropped 23 pounds.

by Anonymousreply 1203/08/2013

I'm trying Viibryd (it's expensive but it suppresses my appetite and you get boners a lot!)

by Anonymousreply 1303/08/2013

people stated commenting on how big my ass was, that is when I knew I had to switch.

by Anonymousreply 1403/08/2013

How can tiny pill put that much weight on a person? You must be covering each pill with whipped cream on a quart of ice cream. I don't think any of the tablets have that kind of nutritional value. Were these pills barbqued or deep fried?

by Anonymousreply 1503/08/2013

They change your metabolism dumb ass at r15

by Anonymousreply 1603/08/2013

My sister was on Zoloft and gained 35 pounds. She wound up having to eat 900 calories/day in order not to gain weight. She finally said fuck it, went off the drug, lost the weight, and went into talk therapy.

by Anonymousreply 1703/08/2013

It can slow your metabolism, make you more relaxed and lethargic, and some people just eat more when they are happy and content. Zoloft brings new meaning to the phrase fat and happy.

by Anonymousreply 1803/08/2013

15 pounds on Cymbalta. It's done wonder for my depression, so I'm afraid to discontinue it.

by Anonymousreply 1903/08/2013

damned if you do, damned if you don't - fat and happy as someone else said, or sad, anxious or both and thin

by Anonymousreply 2003/08/2013

Wellbutrin did a shit ton more for me than any SSRI, AND made me lose weight. It's notorious not only for helping with depression and weight loss, but for helping people quit smoking and for not numbing people's sex drives at all like SSRIs have a tendency to do. It's the best as far as I'm concerned; too bad I took it for five years in a row until it permanently lost all effectiveness for me (all antidepressants do this if you're on them too long).

by Anonymousreply 2103/09/2013

WOW! I didn't know Zoloft makes you gain wait? great!

by Anonymousreply 2203/09/2013

You guys have major depressive orders and all you can worry about is losing your six-packs?

by Anonymousreply 2303/09/2013

St John's Wort is the natural anti-depressant.

It's either that or actually stop being a self absorbed prick.

by Anonymousreply 2403/09/2013

According to Wiki (which is THE definitive source for EVERYTHING) Zoloft doesn't cause weight gain. So why am I so fat?

by Anonymousreply 2503/09/2013

I gained 100 pounds on Haagen Dazs.

I was depressed and my doctor recommended two pounds per day.

by Anonymousreply 2603/09/2013

Wiki is wrong, R25. Depending on your personal chemistry, all SSRIs can cause weight gain. I believe it's to do with some interaction between insulin and seratonin, or something like that. Whatever, the drugs cause hormonal changes which fuck with your metabolism and make you put on weight because your body is unable to properly deal with the energy you ingest in the form of food.

I have a close friend who put on a ton of weight on SSRIs (she has clinical depression, so coming off them isn't an option), but she found some relief from her symptoms by going on to a gluten-free diet. Basically that helps her body with insulin resistance. She can stand the diet because she still eats fat and a certain amount of sugar, but controlling her carbs (particularly wrt no wheat) has really helped her control her weight.

by Anonymousreply 2703/09/2013

The Wiki post was probably written by a drug company rep.

Paxil was the last SSRI I tried. I lost weight like crazy, a lot more than I could afford to lose. The worst downside was that I shook all the time. I felt like I was doing a Don Knotts impersonation.

by Anonymousreply 2803/09/2013

Everyone is different. Some people gain weight, some don't. In general, except for Wellbutrin, all of the currently available ADs can do it.

Drugs cause side effects and it's about the benefit versus the risk.

by Anonymousreply 2903/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!