Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jesse Jackson Praises Hugo Chavez as ‘Great Leader’ at Funeral

U.S. civil rights leader Reverend Jesse Jackson spoke today in Caracas at the funeral of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, who died on March 5 after a two-year battle with cancer.

“Today we’re here not because Hugo Chavez has died but because he lived.

‘‘Venezuela cries today.

‘‘To Nicolas Maduro, grant him wisdom and support as he keeps hopes and dreams alive, as he picks up the baton and makes a great nation greater.

‘‘We are neighbors, we share the same hemisphere, we play ball together, we trade resources together, we fight drugs together, we share dreams together, we are bound by culture and environment.

‘‘How do we measure a great leader? By how he treats the least of these. Hugo fed the hungry. He lifted the poor. He raised their hopes. He helped them realize their dreams. And so today we do mourn because we lost a lot. But we have a lot left: a stable government, an orderly transition.’’

by Anonymousreply 3703/17/2013

I'm not a Jackson fan, but I agree with Jesse today. Hugo did one hell of job for the poor of Venezuela and many in the US. There are so many rich people in Venezuela, there is no excuse that the poor is mostly indian and mix. The same can be said for many south and central American countries. Chavez tried to do something about it and died in the process. I wouldn't be surprised if our CIA had something and possibly everything to do with Hugo's death.

by Anonymousreply 103/08/2013

I agree r1

by Anonymousreply 203/08/2013

There was absolutely no excuse for the huge numbers of abject poor in Venezuela prior to Chavez. They hold the world's second largest crude reserves. The elite in that country had 30 years to concern themselves with development. It never happened.

by Anonymousreply 303/08/2013

Again? You're still claiming he's receiving criticism here because of his reputation for anti-semitism? You do believe that devoutly, don't you.

by Anonymousreply 603/08/2013

One of our own Congressman commented publically "Good riddance!" On hearing of Chávez's death. There's no excuse for that. Chávez wasn't exactly Osama Bin Laden.

by Anonymousreply 803/08/2013

R7, I much prefer your posts on the other thread. They're more in tune with reality.

by Anonymousreply 903/08/2013

Chavez was a good man, not perfect, but there has never been a perfect man. He may have had opinions with which one would argue, but his focus was on the dispossessed. The poor will not soon see another with their interests as a primary directive.

Sorry to hear some shit congressman made deriding comments about Chavez. I bet he knows nothing but the propaganda created by our USA.

by Anonymousreply 1003/08/2013

We are so loyal we believe the bull shit that come from our own CIA.

by Anonymousreply 1303/08/2013

Congratulations, r11. You're now officially a troll.

by Anonymousreply 1603/08/2013

He was a much more effective leader for his country than any we've had since Truman. It's unfortunate that in 2013 all you have to do is whisper "communist" and Americans still jump like Pol Pot just snuck up behind them asking for their skull. It remains one of the great schisms in political sophistication that alienates the U.S.from the rest of the world.

by Anonymousreply 1703/09/2013

[quote]Eisenhower got the interstate highways built

Let us not forget that FDR spearheaded the interstate highway plans and Eisenhower was politically 'forced' to continue the implementation of those plans.

Many republicans were against it. More proof that republicans have no future vision.

by Anonymousreply 1903/09/2013

What anti-Semitic things did he do/say?

by Anonymousreply 2103/09/2013

I outlined in my previous post at R20 what I think wasn't great about Chavez. At r22 I was responding to the question why Chavez is accused of anti-Semitism. Is that ok? Am I allowed to have a different opinion from you? Or are you going to try and undermine me, with your clever "No no no", like Chavez did with the many "enemies" that he could see all around him, just because I don't follow the line that you deem is the only correct one?

by Anonymousreply 2403/09/2013

Look in the mirror, r25.

We keep seeing posts claiming that Chavez is criticized here because of allegations he was anti-semitic. Well, perhaps you're not hysterical, just rabid, you freaking troll.

by Anonymousreply 2603/09/2013

Anti-Semitism on the other hand charms everyone, r25.

Look, it's obvious that you hate Jews and therefore cannot possibly believe that anyone might be genuinely, honestly troubled by a politican's anti-Semitic behaviour. But not everybody shares your, uh, passion, so enough already.

by Anonymousreply 2703/09/2013

We get it, r29, anti-Semitism only starts at genocide level. If you're not Hitler, you're not anti-Semitic.

by Anonymousreply 3003/09/2013

"We fight drugs together?"

Seriously. Seriously? So wrong on so many levels.

by Anonymousreply 3103/09/2013

Looks like a member of the New Minority has arrived.

Poor, tortured soul.

by Anonymousreply 3303/09/2013

^and that is just the tragic economic reality, add to that the lack of security and extreme danger and a horrid infrastructure.

by Anonymousreply 3503/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!