Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ellen Barkin Booted From Ellen Barkin Booted From "New Normal" New Normal

According to the 3-18-13 issue of the National Enquirer, Ellen Barkin was given the boot from The New Normal for throwing tantrums & her Diva like behavior. They are sending Her character away to seek treatment for a drinking problem, where she will remain forever. I hope they recast the role at some point

by Anonymousreply 7805/15/2014

Are you sure it wasn't because the character was so unlikeable?

by Anonymousreply 103/08/2013

Really really?

by Anonymousreply 203/08/2013

She's obnoxious as hell.

by Anonymousreply 303/08/2013

[quote]Ellen Barkin Booted From Ellen Barkin Booted From "New Normal"New Normal

OP = Gertrude Stein

by Anonymousreply 403/08/2013

it will be cancelled anyway

by Anonymousreply 503/08/2013

I wonder how much she received in her divorce settlement from Ron Perelman.

by Anonymousreply 603/08/2013

No.

by Anonymousreply 703/08/2013

I crave the details.

by Anonymousreply 803/08/2013

I wonder if this means they are going to try and save the show (at the network level) by retooling it. There was no place to go with Barkin's character, whether Barkin was pleasant to deal with or not; once they had softened her unpleasantness (which they've been doing) she was just an appendage of no interest, and the unpleasantness wasn't working, it was neither funny nor believable in a comic sense (a rich couple in LA would kick her out period, there was nothing inevitable about her presence -- if they had had to put up with her some humor might have come from that).

I think they should get rid of that kid, who I personally can't stand but whose grating character is from never never land, also neither funny nor comic-believable.

by Anonymousreply 903/08/2013

Don't be mean, Enquirer. We don't have to be mean.

by Anonymousreply 1003/08/2013

And when they tried to make her a love interest for John Stamos . . . well, that was the funniest part of the series,

by Anonymousreply 1103/08/2013

Is she drowning her sorrows in Vat 49?

by Anonymousreply 1203/08/2013

The entire cast (plus Ryan and the other show creator) recently gathered for a panel discussion. It was hosted by Stamos. Barkin didn't participate though NeNe did.

by Anonymousreply 1303/08/2013

Barkin was the big name on the show. Not good when they're retooling so soon.

Diva antics aside, she's a brilliant actress who deserves better than doing one note roles.

by Anonymousreply 1403/08/2013

That must have been a real brain trust, r13.

by Anonymousreply 1503/08/2013

Interesting. I was at the Paleyfest for "The New Normal" this week and all the cast was there except Barkin. John Stamos was the moderator and creators Ryan Murphy and Allison Adler were onstage with the cast. No one mentioned Barkin until an audience member brought her up. Murphy said she had a long-standing previous engagement and sent her regrets. I thought it was very odd.

BTW, the actress who plays Goldie is British. I had no idea.

by Anonymousreply 1603/08/2013

Oh and those Paleyfest events should be available to watch on Hulu or Huluplus (not sure how it works.)

by Anonymousreply 1703/08/2013

OP = stutterer.

by Anonymousreply 1803/08/2013

So you could say the new normal is no Ellen Barkin?

by Anonymousreply 1903/08/2013

OP's thread title gives me a headache.

by Anonymousreply 2003/08/2013

DID YOU READ THE LINK?!!! THE REPORT ISN'T TRUE.

THREAD CLOSED.

by Anonymousreply 2103/08/2013

Oh, R21/Ellen, relax. Have another vodka.

Sounds like this is becoming a repeated desperation move for NBC: try to stir up interest for a failing show by changing one element and hoping it will bamboozle lost viewers into coming back. (See Up All Night's attempted switch to a multi-camera comedy.)

by Anonymousreply 2203/08/2013

Too bad it's not true. The show might become watchable.

by Anonymousreply 2303/08/2013

TNN is simply an atrocious show on every level. Ditching Barkin's character won't save it. Nothing will.

by Anonymousreply 2403/08/2013

The show will be cancelled regardless.

by Anonymousreply 2503/08/2013

OMG r11

Tell me you're kidding. You have got to be kidding!

by Anonymousreply 2603/08/2013

Barkin is a cunt. Ask anyone who was involved with THE NORMAL HEART.

by Anonymousreply 2703/08/2013

I've never heard anyone say anything nice about EB. She sounds like she's a real nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 2803/08/2013

Well, Barkin's publicist denied it, but that's not the same as the show or the network denying it. Honestly, her character had to be forced in half the time, so she won't really be missed if she's gone. And she's also easily replaceable. We've still yet to meet Goldie's parents, for instance.

by Anonymousreply 2903/08/2013

Based on the thread title I though DL had now labeled "the new normal" ,"The Ellen Barkin Program"

by Anonymousreply 3003/08/2013

TVBytheNumbers cites it as "certain for cancellation" so I doubt they're drawing up contingency plans for replacing the character. Production has probably finished for the show anyway.

by Anonymousreply 3103/08/2013

[quote]TNN is simply an atrocious show on every level.

What shows do you like?

Also, TNN has been hitting it's demographic, thus it won't be cancelled. Advertisers only care about demographic ratings.

by Anonymousreply 3203/08/2013

My former college roommate is a writer on the show and has said that from even before the cameras started rolling Barkin was a screaming cunt for everyone to work with.

by Anonymousreply 3303/08/2013

And why do we care?

by Anonymousreply 3403/08/2013

Um, TNN has been getting a 0.9 in 18-49, which is train-wreck territory for a Big 4 Network weeknight sitcom. You clearly know nothing about show business, so stop pretending like you do.

by Anonymousreply 3503/08/2013

I like Andrew Rannells but I prefer him on Girls.

by Anonymousreply 3603/08/2013

While we're spreading wild un-sourced, unproven rumors, Joohn waters is dead dead.

(No, he's not, you stupid cuntz).

by Anonymousreply 3703/08/2013

I thought she was the only reason to watch. I've loved her plastic comeback since that Oceans 14 crap.

This show annoys me cause as if the Justin Bartha character would go for that generica gay.

by Anonymousreply 3803/08/2013

me too r36....he does nice ass work on Girls...plus he was so terrific in Mormon

by Anonymousreply 3903/08/2013

Here's an article from 20 years ago about Barkin being difficult:

by Anonymousreply 4003/08/2013

I like the show, and the cast. I just wish they would stick with the funny and not try for a message every week.

by Anonymousreply 4103/08/2013

Sounds like National Enquirer saw she wasn't at PaleyFest and rushed to come up with a Scandal.

by Anonymousreply 4203/08/2013

Great article, R40.

by Anonymousreply 4303/08/2013

This Bitch be crazeee!

by Anonymousreply 4403/08/2013

I like the show, and I like her in it. I've liked her since The Big Easy, really.

by Anonymousreply 4503/08/2013

The New Normal should be booted from The New Normal What a godawful thing that show is.

by Anonymousreply 4603/08/2013

[quote] 3-18-13 issue of the National Enquirer

As if that's a credible source?

by Anonymousreply 4703/08/2013

what did Pacino think of her?

by Anonymousreply 4803/08/2013

[quote]My former college roommate is a writer on the show and has said that from even before the cameras started rolling Barkin was a screaming cunt for everyone to work with.

Did he say if her and NeNe ever fought?

by Anonymousreply 4903/08/2013

[quote]Did he say if her and NeNe ever fought?

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 5003/08/2013

R50 Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 5103/08/2013

It most certainly is NOT, r47!

by Anonymousreply 5203/08/2013

She didnt get as much from Perelman as people might think. She got to keep all of her jewelry though, she auctioned most of it off and made millions. Some of the pieces were extraordinary.

by Anonymousreply 5303/08/2013

It must have driven her crazy to be a so-called respected actress and then have Nee Nee of all people steal every scene.

by Anonymousreply 5403/08/2013

She IS a respected actress R54. The role she's playing is stupid and so beneath her. She's doing what Judy Davis does with shit roles, play them for the trifle they really are.

Nene is playing a black ghetto stereotype, which is a flashier role. But it's still a stereotype. And it's insulting. I don't know why the white gays are fascinated with that woman.

by Anonymousreply 5503/08/2013

r55=MARY!

by Anonymousreply 5603/08/2013

She's been erratic for a while now even her Tony winning performance in The Normal Heart was all over the map...great some days and other days she barely seemed to know who and where she was

by Anonymousreply 5703/08/2013

Well Ellen Barkin Ellen Barkin (as the OP would say) is no comedian so when she says those homophobic things on the show she's just mean not funny. And sometimes it's hard to look at her surgically enhanced face. They should have hired a comedian. I like the show but it needs an infusion of funny. Replace her with someone who's knows how to deliver jokes.

Even Reba hired comedian Lily Tomlin as her funny sidekick mom.

Of course all of this doesn't matter as the show's probably slated for cancellation.

by Anonymousreply 5803/08/2013

I don't think it'll be canceled. I think due to Murphy's other stellar shows (AHS, and yes Glee (it is still a ratings winner)), NBC will give it another shot.

I think Barkin is fine, but much like Sue Sylvester, despite the good acting, the writers have RUINED the character. Just. Not. Likable.

Force Leakes to go to acting school, focus on the laughs and not so much the message, and you have a hit show folks.

by Anonymousreply 5903/08/2013

[quote]Force Leakes to go to acting school, focus on the laughs and not so much the message, and you have a hit show folks.

The ratings are abysmal. And Glee is down to a 2.4 with 6 million viewers hardly a ratings winner considering how much it costs to make.

by Anonymousreply 6003/08/2013

New Normal is definitely gone. It's the lowest rated show Tuesday night. Only one CW show is lower. It does not get a second season.

by Anonymousreply 6103/08/2013

The results--with pictures of each lot--from Barkin's jewelry auction at Christie's. She netted about $20 million. As R53 noted, there were some wonderful pieces in the sale.

by Anonymousreply 6203/08/2013

How do NBC and the CW stay in business? Do you think we'll see a major network go off the air soon?

by Anonymousreply 6303/08/2013

NBC is seriously, seriously fucked.

by Anonymousreply 6403/08/2013

Just this morning saw a very young Barkin in Tender Mercies. She was terrific in a sweet, heartbreaking way, kinda like Debra Winger used to be.

I had forgotten what a great movie that is. Makes me sad seeing Robert Duvall acting so awesome and shit, knowing now what an asshole he is.

by Anonymousreply 6503/09/2013

R62 I don't understand why anyone with that kind of money would want to buy used jewelry from a C-list celebrity. If I was rich, I'd either want new jewelry or jewelry from once owned by really important people.

by Anonymousreply 6603/09/2013

NBC is counting on the return of THE VOICE to boost its ratings, just as it has every other time it has run. Last year, SMASH followed THE VOICE and that's why it did well and got a second season.

This year, THE VOICE will be followed by THE NEW NORMAL in an attempt to goose those ratings and hopefully get TNN a second season.

Watch this space for further updates.

by Anonymousreply 6703/09/2013

As much as I love "Modern Family," I never have once bought Mitch and Cam as a couple. Unlike Phil and Claire and even Jay and Gloria, I do not look at them and imagine they have sex EVER. Just don't buy it for one second and never will.

With all due respect to JTF and ES, how wonderful would it have been had Andrew and Justin played Mitch and Cam instead? I just think it would've brought the picture of three sexually-active married couples in one family into much clearer focus. And given that TNN is nowhere near as funny as "Modern Family," what an upgrade it would've been for them as actors, too.

by Anonymousreply 6803/09/2013

[quote]I don't think it'll be canceled. I think due to Murphy's other stellar shows (AHS, and yes Glee (it is still a ratings winner)), NBC will give it another shot.

You think it will be renewed because of the ratings of another show on another network?

Talking to people who know nothing about show business is like talking to the people at a nursing home.

by Anonymousreply 6903/09/2013

[quote] The ratings are abysmal. And Glee is down to a 2.4 with 6 million viewers hardly a ratings winner considering how much it costs to make.

Glee probably makes a lot more money being sold internationally. That, and itunes sales, concert tours, merchandise and all the rest.

I like The New Normal, but the problem I have with it is that, other than the pregnancy, there's no other big plotline that feels like it's working toward something. They hinted at Goldie having a relationship with Rocky's brother, and the problems that would bring up, but then quickly dropped it. The show is effectively devoid of conflict that lasts longer than one episode.

by Anonymousreply 7003/09/2013

Ellen is the only funny thing about that show!!

by Anonymousreply 7103/09/2013

Are you saying... it's a comedy?

by Anonymousreply 7203/09/2013

From the article at R40, she does seem to have a mind of her own and is not afraid to show it. I guess that's enough to make her a "screaming cunt" to some insecure men, who can't handle women being anything but compliant and indulgent of the male ego.

Are there any more substantial proof of her allegedly being "difficult?"

by Anonymousreply 7303/09/2013

Ellen really embarassed herself a few months back when she and NeNe appeared on WWHL.

Andy showed a pic of Kim Zolciak and Ellen started screaming "WIG!" at her. It was mortifying.

by Anonymousreply 7403/09/2013

Does Diane Keaton want to buy back, and preserve, my beautiful Beverly Hills hacienda mansion ? Things aren't going so well.

by Anonymousreply 7503/09/2013

R73, you screaming cunt, in answer to your idiot twat demand for "substantial proof of her allegedly being 'difficult?'"

How about her being fired, you cunt?

by Anonymousreply 7603/09/2013

If not yet soon, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 7703/09/2013

I wonder if Ellen and Ryan Murphy's falling out had to due to him casting Julia Roberts as Dr. Emma in his "HBO event," The Normal Heart?

by Anonymousreply 7805/15/2014
Need more help? Click Here.