Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anti-fast food fans: What's the best tasting vegan burger for the occasional vegetarians?

A roomie left behind some fake meat burgers, that were barely edible. When I'm in a super healthy mode, what vegan burger is actually the healthiest and tastiest?

by Occasional vegan/vegetarianreply 1403/09/2013

If you want a good simulation of a grilled ground beef patty, try Morningstar's Grillers Prime. However, it's not vegan. Actual vegan veggie burgers, such as the widely available ones from Boca and Morningstar tend to suck flavor-wise.

by Occasional vegan/vegetarianreply 103/08/2013

Mostly vegan here, but yes, Morningstar Grillers Prime are the best. I like almost everything the make. Some of the Gardenburgers aren't too bad vegan wise. I've also gotten something called "Sunshine Burger" at Whole Foods. It's pretty good, but pricey.

The Boca Chicken products aren't bad, but the burgers are heinous. In my attempt to ease down my soy intake, I've been buying Quorn products. I like everything I've tried..the "naked" chicken cutlets and the "turkey" are great--most like I remember the "real" stuff tasting. Some of the products are vegan, I think.

The website explains the ingredients better than I can:

The main ingredient in Quorn™ is mycoprotein, a high quality meat-free protein, which is naturally low in fat and saturated fat. For example, Quorn™ Grounds are 75% lower in fat and saturated fat than lean ground beef. Quorn™ products also have all the essential amino acids you’d find in other proteins like beef or chicken. As you can see, Quorn™ foods are ideal alternatives for healthy eaters and vegetarians.

by Occasional vegan/vegetarianreply 203/08/2013

Dr. Praeger's

by Occasional vegan/vegetarianreply 303/08/2013

Dr. Praegar Veggie Burgers. They have actual vegetables. Morningstar and Boca are jut made up of fillers and I also avoid GMO soy products.

I love Quorn's chicken products, but I've never tried the beef imitations.

by Occasional vegan/vegetarianreply 403/08/2013

Another vote against the processed soy products. Not good for you.

If you're in Canada, seek out Field Roast vegan sausages (not a burger, I know) -- they're made from wheat protein and are AMAZING.

by Occasional vegan/vegetarianreply 503/08/2013

If you must abstain from meat, what's the problem with just eating vegetables and grains?

Why eat food (or "mycoprotein," shudder) that is disguised as other food?

by Occasional vegan/vegetarianreply 603/08/2013

Thank you for your suggestions. Actually anything that is nutritious, tasty, and high protein would work if it can be frozen for emergency use.

by Occasional vegan/vegetarianreply 703/08/2013

[quote]When I'm in a super healthy mode

Veggie burgers are highly processed and hardly a health food. The average list of ingredients is a mile long.

by Occasional vegan/vegetarianreply 803/08/2013

R8, Thanks. I had no idea. So much food is heavily marketed that you don't always know what to believe. I've only had a couple of veggie burgers in my life, before I inherited a few different brands to try; weird aftertaste.

by Occasional vegan/vegetarianreply 903/08/2013

I like the Lightlife burgers. They are a little larger than the Boca. Packed 4 to a plastic bag. The one like best is the back yard burger. I don't like the black bean but there are several others I haven't tried.

Think of the Quorum (mycoprotein} for what it is, a fungus, not unlike mushrooms. I like the product but rarely available in my market area

by Occasional vegan/vegetarianreply 1003/08/2013

Why the need for a FAKE hamburger, OP?

That shitty Tofu not doing it for you?

by Occasional vegan/vegetarianreply 1103/08/2013

R11, I eat meat. I love the way Asian restaurants usually prepare tofu, with plenty of spice. Veggie burgers have been getting a lot of press for some time and I was surprised the ones I inherited from my roomie tasted so awful. So I wanted to know if there were any appetizing and healthy protein sources for my freezer, when cooking was not an option. Thought there'd be a healthy alternative to natural peanut butter sandwiches. Shocking to find out that veggie burgers were hardly the health food that I expected. At least I didn't waste my money.

by Occasional vegan/vegetarianreply 1203/09/2013

Anything Field Roast and anything by Gardein. Gardein is incredible!

by Occasional vegan/vegetarianreply 1303/09/2013

Don't eat soy-based veg burgers. Soy is bad for you, esp. men.

by Occasional vegan/vegetarianreply 1403/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!