Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

My Vitamin D Level is Super Low

So if I take Vitamin D supplements, will I be like Popeyes eating his spinach? Will I feel fantastic and strong? Will I shine?

by Sun Deprivedreply 3103/15/2013

If you're serious, you'll probably have to take 50,000 units each day for about a month and then probably a few more months after that. It takes a little bit of time for levels to increase to normal and then you need to get it above normal b/c once you stop taking it the levels will go back down. I'm guessing a doctor would then have you take a lower dose on a regular basis to keep it stable. Many Americas are D deficient. We've been so ingrained to stay out of the sun and use sunscreen/block that we don't get enough.

by Sun Deprivedreply 103/08/2013

My VIt D levels are super high but I work at home w/big windows . During January- we had lots of grey days and I really thought I was going to slash my wrists. I feel much better w/the sun exposure.

by Sun Deprivedreply 203/08/2013

In a couple of years we'll say: "Remember when we all had super-low vitamin D levels?"

by Sun Deprivedreply 303/08/2013

You'll feel better probably.

by Sun Deprivedreply 403/08/2013

You might be hospitalized and die

by Sun Deprivedreply 503/08/2013

What did your doctor advise? I had to take ergocalciferol (Drisdol).

by Sun Deprivedreply 603/08/2013

15 minutes of sun per day

by Sun Deprivedreply 703/08/2013

Mine were low and I was put on 50,000 units a day for 10 weeks. When I went back my levels were too high so they said to stop taking it. What they should've said was not to take it for a few weeks then take a smaller dosage. I'm African-American and a lot of us have issues with vitamin D. My doc shouldn't have said just not take to it, at all. Because I take my pets out like 5 times a day (I'm a writer and need breaks), and my levels were that low.

by Sun Deprivedreply 803/08/2013

My dr said to take 10,000 units a day, but I could only find 5,000 u capsules, so I take 2 a day. She didn't tell me anything specific about any type of vit D, so I bought Vit D 3. Is that ok?

by Sun Deprivedreply 903/08/2013

[quote] 15 minutes of sun per day

We haven't had 15 minutes of sun a day in a loooong time. On the few days there is a bit of sun, the winds are 50 mph.

by Sun Deprivedreply 1003/08/2013

Yes, OP. Vitamin D3 is the right choice.

by Sun Deprivedreply 1103/08/2013

Has taking Vitamin D supplements made anyone feel better?

by Sun Deprivedreply 1203/08/2013

What are the effects of low vitamin D levels?

by Sun Deprivedreply 1303/08/2013

Sun is the right choice.

by Sun Deprivedreply 1403/08/2013

Mine are much lower than all of yours.

by Sun Deprivedreply 1503/08/2013

Vitamin D is important for bone and muscle development, healing (from operations) and overall health.

Low vitamin D seems to have some type of connection to/presence with multiple sclerosis, diabetes, various cancers, heart disease, various mental health conditions, altered immunity.

by Sun Deprivedreply 1603/08/2013

R12, taking vitamin D kept me from developing seasonal affective disorder the last winter I lived in Alaska. That was a noticeable difference. I like the twin lab D dots - tangerine flavor.

by Sun Deprivedreply 1703/08/2013

I can vouch for that, r16. I've been dealing with arthritis (I've had since I was a kid that's gotten progressively worse) and MS like symptoms the last few years.

by Sun Deprivedreply 1803/08/2013

You need vitamin D in order to absorb calcium. Low vitamin d can result in osteoporosis even if you're a man.

by Sun Deprivedreply 1903/08/2013

Does increasing vitamin D levels really help with significant depression? I've read that it does but any personal experiences would be appreciated.

by Sun Deprivedreply 2003/08/2013

R22 has clearly been staring directly at the sun. It's fried his brain.

by Sun Deprivedreply 2303/09/2013

Yes D3 can ease depression and related/similar cognitive issues.

Personally I would use daily OTC D3 as the main and pharma D/D2 only as a temporary boost.

Again, just personally, I would not consider starting with 50,000 pharma daily, only weekly, unless it's proven after weekly dosing that I have an abnormally low response to them.

by Sun Deprivedreply 2403/09/2013

[quote] So most people who claim deficiency are the same ones that have fibromyalgia and autism.

It's MY DOCTOR who claims I have low Vitamin D. I had a physical and apparently one of the lab tests was for a Vitamin D level. I didn't ask to have it checked. I didn't even know it was something that was checked in a blood panel.

I have been having hellish hot flashes. I looked more closely at the Vit D I bought OTC and it has soybean oil in it. WTF? Why do thy have to put soybeans in every fucking thing? Soy gives me me hypothyroidism

I wasted money on that Vit D. I'll have to try and find something that doesn't have any fucking soy in it.

by Sun Deprivedreply 2503/09/2013

The jell forms are healthier to use.

by Sun Deprivedreply 2603/09/2013

It's a wonder the human race has made it this far.

by Sun Deprivedreply 2703/09/2013

[quote] have been having hellish hot flashes

Why? And what is your doctor doing about it?

[quote] Why do thy have to put soybeans in every fucking thing? Soy gives me me hypothyroidism.

The amount of soy in a small vitamin D tablet would be extremely small. And my understanding is that a link between soy and thyroid supression is yet to be actually proven.

by Sun Deprivedreply 2803/09/2013

Soy gives me hot flashes. When I get hot flashes, I know I've ingested something with soy in it. I just have to find out what it is and get rid of it and I'm fine after a day or two.

by Sun Deprivedreply 2903/09/2013

Isn't soy related to estrogen??

by Sun Deprivedreply 3003/13/2013

[quote]Does increasing vitamin D levels really help with significant depression? I've read that it does but any personal experiences would be appreciated.

I've been taking 5,000 IU of Vitamin D a day for over 2 months now (along with 2 fish oil capsules a day), and it has not helped my depression at all. But to be fair, I have a lot of shit going on in my life right now.

I've been trying to stay off my antidepressant because it causes my hair to thin, but vitamins simply aren't working and I'm about to go back on my antidepressant and just deal with the hair issues. At least the antidepressant actually works.

by Sun Deprivedreply 3103/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.