Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Health benefit of tears.

Our bodies produce three kinds of tears: reflex, continuous, and emotional.

Each kind has different healing roles. For instance, reflex tears allow your eyes to clear out noxious particles when they’re irritated by smoke or exhaust.

The second kind, continuous tears, are produced regularly to keep our eyes lubricated–these contain a chemical called “lysozyme” which functions as an anti-bacterial and protects our eyes from infection. Tears also travel to the nose through the tear duct to keep the nose moist and bacteria free. Typically, after crying, our breathing, and heart rate decrease, and we enter into a calmer biological and emotional state.

Emotional tears have special health benefits. Reflex tears are 98% water, whereas emotional tears also contain stress hormones which get excreted from the body through crying. Emotional tears shed these hormones and other toxins which accumulate during stress. Additional studies also suggest that crying stimulates the production of endorphins, our body’s natural pain killer and “feel-good” hormones.” Interestingly, humans are the only creatures known to shed emotional tears, though it’s possible that that elephants and gorillas do too.

by Anonymousreply 2503/09/2013

I'm crying as I type this

by Anonymousreply 103/08/2013

I'm always exhausted after I cry. Seldom have I ever felt better after crying.

by Anonymousreply 303/08/2013

I always cry after I orgasm

by Anonymousreply 403/08/2013

There is nothing worse than a crying fag.

by Anonymousreply 503/08/2013

I want to cry right now.

by Anonymousreply 603/08/2013

R4= John Bohner

by Anonymousreply 703/08/2013

r7, I had always thought he was always blubbing about his orange "tan", thanks for this new revelation.

If you're going to blubber and turn on the waterworks, please do it in private; it is really getting tiresome to see some bitch, male or female, on the news with some hard luck story always, inevitably dissolving into a veil of tears. This has been going on for the last 25 or 30 years now--one has a hankering for the days of yore when self control was uppermost in any self respecting individual's mind. It seems the Queen of England is the only one left with any degree of dignity and self control--apres elle, le deluge......

by Anonymousreply 803/08/2013

The thing about Bohner is he has plenty of tears for himself, but absolutely zero tears for all the people he plans on plunging into poverty. All the people he wants to make work until they drop dead on the job.

I don't mind if someone genuinely tears up, but when it's phony as fuck...nothing makes me angrier than that kind of hypocrisy. Like Obama. His fake tear for the 20 wealthy white kids, meanwhile, he's droning to death, hundreds, if not thousands of brown children. Fuck him!

by Anonymousreply 903/08/2013

There's also the: 1) Crying Without Tears, aka "fake tears". Popular with sociopaths; 2) Method Acting Tears, able to be produced at crucial moments. Popular with people like Marie Osmond, Sharon Osbourne and Oprah to get ratings; 3) Menopausal Tears: women breaking into sobs over something trivial, like discovering a wilted flower; 4) Boyfriend Tears. Used to make his "girl" believe he's a sensitive kinda guy, so he can get some pussy.

by Anonymousreply 1003/08/2013

I wish I could cry more often.

I am too emotionally guarded. I literally get headaches at sad movies because I can't just let myself cry.

What sucks about it the most is that my emotions can overwhelm me when I don't expect it and it can be humiliating. I'd much rather be able to cry more often than in unexpected pent up bursts.

by Anonymousreply 1103/08/2013

There's nothing wrong with showing emotion when the subject is emotional, and showing emotion does not invalidate the speaker's point either.

Someone can cry and have a good argument too.

It's only weak men who can't handle or get "distracted by" another person's tears.

by Anonymousreply 1203/08/2013

R2, depression isn't an emotion. It's an absence of emotion. It is characterised by a pessimistic sense of inadequacy and a despondent lack of activity.

Sadness is an emotional state. People often confuse the two.

by Anonymousreply 1303/08/2013

Oh, it's cryin' time again...

by Anonymousreply 1403/08/2013

A good cry always gives me a feeling of emotional release.

by Anonymousreply 1503/08/2013

My mother will "well up" for all kinds of reasons. It's not crying but you can see that she's experiencing some strong emotion. She does that when she's really happy or when she's sad about something. If one of the kids gets an A on his report card she'll do that.

It's become a beloved theme in our family that she has this trait, which is really quite nice and understood by all.

by Anonymousreply 1603/08/2013

Depression is a *disorder*, characterized by several symptoms. One symptom of depression is sadness. Not always, but quite often.

by Anonymousreply 1703/08/2013

I love to cry. I cry at some point every day. I put myself in emotional situations that bring me to tears. Sometimes I smile at the same time. I always better afterward. Relaxed and cathartic. I am glad to hear that it's healthy to cry. Though I am not surprised.

by Anonymousreply 1803/08/2013

R17, sadness is not a symptom of depression. It is a symptom of humanity. When a person is stunted emotionally and lacks the ability to feel sadness then they are depressed, without feeling. Again, people often confuse the two as if they are interchangeable but they're not. There's nothing wrong with feeling sad when it's appropriate to a situation.

For some reason, people put a primacy on happiness as if it's the only emotion worth feeling but there's a full spectrum of emotion available to us as human beings.

by Anonymousreply 1903/08/2013

That happens to me too, R11. I'm uptight and I never cry in front of people until I do. It's only happened once at a viewing. I totally didn't expect it because I'm always able to control myself. It was embarrassing to say the least.

by Anonymousreply 2003/08/2013

Sadness is indeed a symptom of depression, R19, but sadness by itself does not always mean one is depressed.

I think it's the semantics giving you trouble.

by Anonymousreply 2103/09/2013

The Fremen on Arrakis believe that tears shed because of a death are the greatest tribute one can pay.

by Anonymousreply 2203/09/2013

Are we due for a comeback?

by Anonymousreply 2303/09/2013

#18 = Richard Simmons

by Anonymousreply 2403/09/2013

Daddy always says the tears are good for me.

The razor strop hurts!

by Anonymousreply 2503/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!