Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Starring Emma Watson. Written and directed by Sofia Coppola.

It's just a teaser trailer but Watson looks fantastic. After Perks of Being a Wallflower, I think I'm a fan. Coppola? Eh, she's hit or miss, really.

The movie is based on a true story about a bunch of girls who would break into celebrities houses and go "shopping". Sounds like something Lindsay Lohan would do.

by Anonymousreply 8410/17/2013

The only thing that could save this is that it's based on true events. That will at least give Coppola's story some structure.

Her Academy Award for 'Lost in Translation' is just a complete mystery to me.

by Anonymousreply 103/08/2013

Lindsay Lohan was one of the celebrities robbed.

As well as Audrina Patridge, Rachel Bilson, Orlando Bloom, Megan Fox and Paris Hilton.

by Anonymousreply 203/08/2013

That link is fucked.

by Anonymousreply 303/08/2013

Try this:

by Anonymousreply 403/08/2013

not good

by Anonymousreply 503/08/2013

Neither link works

by Anonymousreply 603/08/2013

The link at r4 works, I just checked.

by Anonymousreply 703/08/2013

Coppola needs to make movies about something other than how teenagers cope with the privileges and pitfalls of celebrity.

by Anonymousreply 803/08/2013

She needs to work from someone else's material, like she did with The Virgin Suicides and Marie Antoinette.

Lost in Translation was such a non-event for me.

by Anonymousreply 903/08/2013

Looks good. Doesn't look like the typical Coppola snorefest.

Watson looks really pretty.

by Anonymousreply 1003/08/2013

How can you tell? The trailer is a music video with almost no dialogue.

by Anonymousreply 1103/08/2013

Looks like a movie Gus Van Sant would make if he were a lady...

by Anonymousreply 1203/08/2013

I loved Lost in Translation and The Virgin Suicides.

Looking forward to this. Emma Watson seems to be taking some good movie choices.

by Anonymousreply 1303/08/2013

Coppola needs to retire.

by Anonymousreply 1403/08/2013

I like Sofia, but I tire of movies like this that are pretty much lifestyle lists of the rich - where to go, what to do, clothes, drugs, attitudes - with very little real attack or rage, aside from some wan criticism. It's like bragging with a dash of brooding. I think I'm ready for a movie about terrorizing the 1%, something with more contempt.

by Anonymousreply 1503/08/2013

That's a lot of assuming, R15.

by Anonymousreply 1603/08/2013

I know I'm projecting, R16 - I hope it's different.

by Anonymousreply 1703/08/2013

Emma filming

by Anonymousreply 1803/08/2013

I was home with the flu a year or two ago, and saw a cheapass made-for-TV movie about these spoiled little sociopaths.

So, Coppola is taking Lifetime's sloppy seconds now, is she?

by Anonymousreply 1903/08/2013

Emma Watson and Daniel Radcliffe are getting a lot of work, and both have big projects coming up.

What happened to Rupert Grint?

by Anonymousreply 2003/09/2013

Rupert Grint is doing a pilot for CBS. Probably a wise career move. And it's a good pilot -- Greg Garcia is exec prod/creator.

by Anonymousreply 2103/09/2013

Bling is one of the tackiest words ever to enter the language. So ghetto.

by Anonymousreply 2203/09/2013

That's good to hear, R21. Out of the three main actors from HP, Watson and Grint are much more talented than Radcliffe.

by Anonymousreply 2303/09/2013

I'm a little bitter about Radcliffe's casting in Horns.

by Anonymousreply 2403/09/2013

"I like Sofia, but I tire of movies like this that are pretty much lifestyle lists of the rich - where to go, what to do, clothes, drugs, attitudes - with very little real attack or rage, aside from some wan criticism. It's like bragging with a dash of brooding. I think I'm ready for a movie about terrorizing the 1%, something with more contempt."

Gillo, have you seen the movie? Because from the trailer, I have no idea if this movie has very little attack or rage.

by Anonymousreply 2503/09/2013

Miss Granger!

by Anonymousreply 2603/09/2013

Emma Watson needs to finish her degree,

by Anonymousreply 2703/09/2013

She's got one more year at Brown, I'm sure she will.

by Anonymousreply 2803/09/2013

I'm looking forward to this film. I'm surprised the thread hasn't had much of a response as Sofia usually gets DL going.

Real life blingleader Nick Prugo (pictured) is a major hottie.

by Anonymousreply 2903/13/2013

One last bump for the midday crowd. I read the script last night and the main character is gay.

by Anonymousreply 3003/13/2013

R30, is it a comedy, drama?

And are we talking R-rated, or more teen-friendly?

by Anonymousreply 3103/13/2013

Bit of both, really r31. It's heavy on the satire and Leslie Mann's character (Watson's mom) has some really hilarious lines. Deffo an R rating, lots of drugs, light on sex but the story is about celebrity.

This script was dated late 2011. It could have expanded since - it was only 82 pages. But Coppola is different than most writer/directors and 82 pages could be all she needs.

by Anonymousreply 3203/13/2013

Watson left Brown and started studying at Oxford. How seriously, I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 3303/13/2013

New trailer, looks good! Watson has that priveledged white girl voice down perfectly!

by Anonymousreply 3404/24/2013

Didn't Lifetime make this movie about a year ago?

by Anonymousreply 3504/24/2013

Looks like a good film from the trailer. Loved the comment from Emma's character about how she might want to run a country some day, while standing in from of the camera with her cig and pearls.

by Anonymousreply 3604/24/2013

She has vocal fry down pat.

by Anonymousreply 3704/24/2013

She does. I hated Sofia Coppolla's last movie, Somewhere, but this looks muchg less dull.

by Anonymousreply 3804/24/2013

Emma Watson's impression of Alexis Neiers is spot on. I hated her in Perks but this looks good.

The spoiled rich girl reference point is great because it's Sofia's shtick. She writes/directs based on what she knows and Marie Antoinette proved she's good at it.

by Anonymousreply 3904/24/2013

How could you hate Watson in Perks???

by Anonymousreply 4004/24/2013

Alexis Neiers, the girl Emma's character is based on, is clean and sober now. She's also married and expecting a baby.

I have to admit I was really skeptical that she could stay clean, especially getting involved with someone so soon into her recovery, but it seems to be working out for her.

by Anonymousreply 4104/24/2013

You mean, if Gus Van Sant had the lady bits R12?

by Anonymousreply 4204/24/2013

Alexis Neiers Calls Nancy Jo

by Anonymousreply 4304/24/2013

Why the hell would anyone want to see this? I don't get the appeal. Maybe to watch Emma Watson be slutty?

by Anonymousreply 4404/25/2013

R44 - Why not?

by Anonymousreply 4504/25/2013

"Didn't Lifetime make this movie about a year ago?"

Yeah, I ended up watching it when I couldn't sleep. It was okay, but someone could do a much better job with the material. I hope Coppola has.

by Anonymousreply 4604/25/2013

I'm glad that this movie has a queer character. The guy in the trailer seems to be the most compelling in his time on screen.

by Anonymousreply 4704/30/2013

Guy is not cute enough. Real one was hot.

by Anonymousreply 4804/30/2013

I agree, r48, about the real one.

by Anonymousreply 4904/30/2013

Virgin Suicides, Marie Antoinette and Lost in Translation were good.

Somewhere was ok, quite light. This one looks like it is going to be in this vein.

by Anonymousreply 5004/30/2013

Uhh...what, R48?

by Anonymousreply 5104/30/2013

Unfair, r51. Few look great when they are deposed.

I'm judging based off of r29.

by Anonymousreply 5204/30/2013

Still not seeing it, R52. In some pics I've seen he might verge on cute[ish], but hot? The actor is totally "in league."

by Anonymousreply 5304/30/2013

Maybe it was the robberies that fueled his good looks. He looked bloated and stressed after he was caught, but before he was cute.

by Anonymousreply 5404/30/2013

Is Nick Prugo gay? I'm just wondering, since his character was portrayed as straight in the first movie (although it was a Lifetime aka frau movie), and now he's portrayed as gay. I've seen some clips of him, and he does seem gay, although I'm not sure.

by Anonymousreply 5505/09/2013

There is not anyone famous with better fashion sense than Emma Watson! I always wonder why more people don't notice.

by Anonymousreply 5605/09/2013

Really looking forward to this one. I'm not a Sofia Coppolla fanboy but I must be one of the 6 people who liked Somewhere. Think it helps if you saw it in the theatre.

After Wallflower I've decided I really like Emma Watson, not that I had an opinion before. She's spent a lot of time in the US since the Potter days and went to Harvard, good for her I say. She seems likeable and is really intelligent obviously, even one junket as a a 12 year old she made the interviewer look a moron and was very mature. DanRad seems a limited actor but I dunno, never was that interested in HP, the books yes.

Anyway I've been waiting for a film like this. Celeb worship and stalking keeps getting more and more out of hand and worse than ever in the 21st century. As technology and cell phones and internet keep improving it has developed a sinister edge as the trailer shows. It is most impacting the media savvy new generation but even people in their 60s all you hear about is Facebook. The world was a very different place before web 2.0 and social media.

I believe another film on the current celeb culture is due this year - Fincher? My only criticism of The Bling Ring trailer is that it gives that hasbeen Paris Hilton more relevancy, but that POS is so dumb she doesn't realize the joke is on her.

by Anonymousreply 5705/15/2013

It premiered at Cannes yesterday and I've already read a few reviews that say not only is the film empty and meaningless, but essentially BORING.

[quote]But there’s nothing revelatory about the idea that young people are indoctrinated into celebrity worship and designer-label envy from an early age, so The Bling Ring amounts to little more than a group portrait of exceedingly shallow teens who rifled through the drawers of some equally shallow adults who’ve appeared on television. To be blunt, who cares? Coppola might perhaps have stirred some interest via sensuous camerawork, but the dreamy quality of her previous work gives way here to such hackneyed visual ideas as teens walking abreast in slo-mo to Kanye West’s “Power.” I suppose one could argue that these interludes represent the hackneyed dreams of the film’s subjects, but that’s like arguing that a movie’s tedium signifies the real-life tedium of some circumstance. At a certain point, thematic relevance no longer matters. You’re just plain bored.

by Anonymousreply 5805/16/2013

Oh dear, shame. So Cannes has started then, interesting.

by Anonymousreply 5905/16/2013

I can't fucking wait.

by Anonymousreply 6005/16/2013

Why glorify the escapades of the no-good kids? That's exactly what they crave.

by Anonymousreply 6105/16/2013

bump. The movie's out, did anybody see it?

by Anonymousreply 6206/23/2013

I saw the film a few weeks ago at a pre-screening in Seattle, and i really liked it.

Coppola in particular captures the manic party atmosphere - weed & booze & coke-fueled - lived by the kids in the ring.

The movie is very realistic. Paris Hilton's house in the film is hi-lar-ious! In fact, the house used for those scenes was ...wait for it ...Paris Hilton's actual house.

Nothing real deep here, but I like the fact that Coppola presents her protagonists in a largely unjudgmental way. The epilogue is a bit chilling, very very reminiscent of a truly great film by Martin Scorsese, THE KING OF COMEDY (see it for sure if you haven't already ...Robert DeNiro, Sandra Bernhard & Jerry Lewis are all brilliant).

I definitely recommend this film. It's for sure a lot of fun & a breezy bit of pure entertainment. For me, it fueled a desire to research the actual kids involved. Nick Prugo is apparently gay, if not fully out of the closet yet...

by Anonymousreply 6306/24/2013

There was just a show about the real gang. They either got off or only served a year or less in jail. They were incredibly stupid but what surprised me is how little security these homes had. Security cameras but no burglar alarms?

by Anonymousreply 6406/24/2013

No alarms, gates you can easily climb over, and doors unlocked.

Who leaves their door unlocked in this day and age?

by Anonymousreply 6506/24/2013

noooooo...he's not gay....ahem

by Anonymousreply 6606/24/2013

[quote] Emma Watson needs to finish her degree,

Emma Watson needs to finish a meal.

by Anonymousreply 6706/24/2013

According to this (see link), Nick is getting his own show!

by Anonymousreply 6806/24/2013

He still looks kinda cute, but who's the older woman in the background? It's not his mom..

by Anonymousreply 6906/24/2013

More info about the real Bling Ring, including the fact that Rachel Lee actually took a shit in Rachel Bilson's bathroom as they robbed her house.

by Anonymousreply 7006/24/2013

So what's the story about Nick? Is he gay? Inquiring minds want to know!

by Anonymousreply 7106/27/2013

Shirley someone else has seen this film

by Anonymousreply 7207/13/2013

I swear that kid is ghey in every interview I've ever seen with him, despite him gushing over some chick he committed the robberies with. I also find it disturbing that these famewhore wannabes are now being given all of this attention (their own show???) after committing these crimes. Their 'punishment' is getting exactly what they'd always wanted. Fame/status/money/acknowledgment. I hate LA people.

by Anonymousreply 7307/13/2013

R72, I've seen the movie. It was good, although a bit dragged out. Lots of slow-mo scenes. There was particularly one shot where they robbed a house that bugged me. Cinematography was amazing, but they never did a close up of them robbing the house.. so you basically stared at a house for five minutes while watching them as shadows inside. I also found the editing a bit off.. the flashbacks and interview segments were a bit random. She could have used more clips from Marc and Nicki's interviews. We only saw two clips of Marc being interviewed. I would have also liked a bit more focus on the aftermath of them getting caught, and although she touched the surface, I don't feel like we understood why they did it. Like yes.. celebrity obsession, but why rob? Maybe a bit more focus on their intentions.

It was good, despite some flaws. It wasn't perfect, but it was solid. I'd give it 6/10. I also find it ridiculous that they only implied that Marc was gay. I'm sure all the fangirls will come up with excuses, although anyone with half a brain could understand he was meant to be gay. His "he's hot" said it all. That, and he was laying on the bed with high heels.. what kind of straight guy does that? lol

by Anonymousreply 7407/13/2013

I loved it. It's a black comedy.

by Anonymousreply 7507/13/2013

Really good and Hermione is super fuckable and I'm a gay dude.

by Anonymousreply 7607/14/2013

So, I'm watching the film and I keep thinking, this actor isn't gay and no way would he ever pass as gay. I think this is the first time I've ever felt that way, about an actor who is playing gay.

Am I just being ridiculous?

by Anonymousreply 7709/19/2013

[quote]I loved it. It's a black comedy.

There wasn't enough to it to be a black comedy. It was more like a very long music video with some comedic touches.

by Anonymousreply 7809/19/2013

Starts off well then becomes incredibly boring with robbery after repetitive robbery. Would have been better in the hands of a Director who can deliver more than style of substance.

by Anonymousreply 7909/20/2013

What happened to Grint's tv show?

by Anonymousreply 8009/20/2013

Repetitive and almost completely lacking in insight. It's as if a member of the ring brought along a video camera on their adventures, and then cut up the footage into a "movie." Israel Broussard was really the only actor who gave anything like a real performance; Emma Watson seemed to be winking and smirking over her shoulder the whole time, and the rest of them seemed to be playing themselves.

And that's probably the problem for a movie like this; not enough distance from the subject. Can the designer of the Sofia Coppola LV tote really make a satire out of this material? Could anyone in Hollywood, or even anyone who aspires to be there? It probably needed to be a foreign production.

by Anonymousreply 8109/20/2013

But Emma Watson really made you hate her character. I wish that girl was still in prison.

by Anonymousreply 8209/21/2013

It's just and empty movie about a bunch of pathetic losers. Nothing redeeming about any of it. Except Leslie Mann, who I love. Soulless and a bit of a snooze. Somewhere was boring but at least is a riff on fame, loneliness and disconnection. This could've been a better documentary.

Paris Hilton house??? OMG it was trashtastic. So glad she is done.

by Anonymousreply 8309/27/2013

CBS didn't pick up the pilot, r80.

by Anonymousreply 8410/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!