Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

WHET Natalie Merchant?

She was everywhere for a while....the soundtrack to every TV show, over every loudspeaker.

And then - poof, she was gone.

I know she's had a few albums out but no one's heard much from this ho since the turn of the century?

WHET to her? And what happened when she left 10,000 Maniacs? Seems like there is scandal and gossip there.

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 4503/27/2013

She's probably hanging out with Shawn Colvin and Paula Cole waiting for Sonny and the cowboys.

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 103/08/2013

Had a kid. Got fat and grey haired. The kid ruined her career and her looks.

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 203/08/2013

I liked 10000 Maniacs but she became a grating bitch after going solo.

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 303/08/2013

I have a musician friend that once threw a fit about NM: I will not listen to her! She always sounds the same! No matter what the song, she sings it exactly the same way!

This was back in the 90's when she was still popular. I'm pretty 'meh' on her myself. I have exactly three 10,000 Maniacs songs on my iTunes and that's all I need, thanks.

She does always sound the same and it wears you out.

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 403/08/2013

Not a fan but "Break Your Heart" is wonderful.

Her most recent album is from 2010. Maybe she's taking a break?

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 503/08/2013

She was doing her trademark whirling motion from the 10,000 Maniacs days onstage, fell and broke both hips. It's been a difficult recovery process.

But according to her official website, her touring schedule for 2013 is pretty packed:

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 603/08/2013

I saw her in concert a couple of months ago with the Oregon Symphony. As someone mentioned upthread, she has gone gray and gained a little weight, but her voice is as great as it's ever been which is all that matters to me.

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 703/08/2013

Morrissey detested her cover of his song "Every Day is Like Sunday."

Did Merchant beard for Michael Stipe? Or did she deny it when someone asked if they were dating?

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 803/08/2013

R8 I've heard rumors about Merchant & Michael S where they used to mindfuck people a lot at social events. I don't think she bearded for him so much as that she was his wingman/hag.

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 903/08/2013

Thanks, R9.

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 1003/08/2013

I remember loving 10,000 Maniacs and REM circa 1993, hearing the rumor that Michael and Natalie were dating and fearing that MS (who was at his most gaunt then) had given her the HIV.

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 1103/08/2013

I think this is the first time I've read a thread on Natalie Merchant since the dawn of the internet.

She really just disappeared without a peep.

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 1203/08/2013

I love the timbre of her voice but hate her mushmouthed pronunciation. I rarely understand a word she sings.

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 1303/08/2013

Didn't she come out of the closet?

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 1403/08/2013

She was The Wicked Witch to asg...

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 1503/08/2013

She reminds of Bee of the Bear and Bee honeymoon in Paris and divorce in a year threads. Bee looks like a young version of Natalie and has all of the pretensions.

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 1603/08/2013

Elizabeth Fraser!

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 1703/08/2013

It's WEHT

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 1803/08/2013

"...this ho..." OP, really? What the hell have you done that is so wonderful you can call anyone a ho? Clean the mold off your shower shoes.

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 1903/08/2013

She changed her name back to Selena Cohen and faded into obscurity.

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 2003/08/2013

Natalie Merchant got lost in the '90s and was never able to find her way out to the '00s.

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 2103/08/2013

Not here, it isn't, r18.

OP, or should I say "Edie Fucking Brickell," I love it!

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 2203/08/2013

I had a boyfriend who, when I mentioned her name, would wrinkle his nose, scowl and say, "Oh....THAT cunt."

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 2303/08/2013

LOL R23, but I can't imagine a more pleasant, inoffensive musician than Natalie Merchant. In all seriousness, her last album "Leave Your Sleep" is very soothing to listen to if you're in the mood for coffeehouse ambiance.

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 2403/08/2013

Love Tigerlily and Ophelia. Motherland is not as wonderful, but still good. Did she really break her hips?

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 2503/08/2013

Here she is performing Don't Talk last May. She's let her hair go grey, but she still has that voice. In fact, it's more powerful than ever.

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 2603/08/2013

Her voice really shrunk in range.

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 2703/08/2013

Carnival

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 2803/26/2013

Wonder in 1996

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 2903/26/2013

She was worn out from all the fucking she and Stipe used to do together.

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 3003/26/2013

I love this video of her singing Kind and Generous at a TED conference in 2010. At 2:06 she tells the audience to sit the fuck down - "It's my turn. I still have two minutes. 'K, we're going to start that verse again." Then at 3:20 she give them to permission to stand up again.

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 3103/26/2013

R31 - I absolutely adore her in this clip.

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 3203/26/2013

IMO her best work was with the 10,000 Maniacs' brilliant album that put them on the map, "In My Tribe". It's still one of my favorite rock albums.

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 3303/26/2013

Every hipster girl at my college aped her look in the late '80s. I never want to see those smelly little mary jane chinese shoes again. I can still hear their fabric scuffing against the hallway floors.

And the patchouli...the patchouli!

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 3403/26/2013

She's very racist.

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 3503/26/2013

I liked 10,000 Maniacs as a teenager, but always felt ashamed by it. Critics hated them. I always thought she had a great voice and her songwriting was meaningful.

Her solo music lacked any musicianship. Too bad she couldn't find another band.

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 3603/26/2013

Our Time In Eden is brilliant. One of my favorite albums ever. Yes, she's hard to understand in terms of annunciation. Worth following along with the lyrics to the gorgeously moving songs about life, relationships, beginnings and ends - all expressed with a lot of sadness and vulnerability. I always respected her for not revealing to the world in advance (and only to her longtime bandmates) that it would be her last with the band. She allowed them to plan ahead financially through one last cycle of album and tour plus the massive hit of MTV Unplugged.

She always seemed to really care a bit too much about things. I am sure there are worse traits. I know I have a few.

"To think of my task is chilling. To know I was carefully building the mask I was wearing For two years swearing I'd tear it off. I've sat in the dark explaining To myself that I'm straining too hard for feelings I ought to find easily. Call myself Jezebel. I don't believe."

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 3703/26/2013

^ Our time in eden was by far their best produced album.

10,000 Maniacs were very similar to the Smiths (jangle guitar sound/socially conscious lyrics), but they lacked Morrissey's charisma. Nobody thought they were cool.

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 3803/26/2013

R35 evidence for Natalie being racist?

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 3903/26/2013

She looks how I imagine a cubefrau.

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 4003/27/2013

She's gorgeous!

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 4103/27/2013

Distinctive but terrible voice. Nails on a chalkboard voice to me.

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 4203/27/2013

Don't forget about me, R1!

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 4303/27/2013

There's no real reason she couldn't still have a little bit of a career as a muzak singer. She just hasn't really put out much of substance. She came out with her last above average album, Motherland, in 2001. Sometimes I hear a few of the ho-hum songs from it playing at TJ Maxx or what have you. Her last album was filled with a bunch of reinterpreted children's songs, not really the type of thing that sells or captures any attention.

To the person who mentioned Our Time in Eden (10000 Maniacs album), I really recommend it to anyone on here. Someone quoted lyrics from the song "Jezebel" which is on that album. It has some of the best song lyrics, ever, in my view.

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 4403/27/2013

Speaking of Natalie Merchant always sounding the same no matter what song she is singing, I think Cher sounds exactly the same on every song she sings.

A huge bore! (Cher, that is)

by Edie Fucking Brickell reply 4503/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.