Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Beauty ideals that you grew up with?

I grew up in the era where women who had big tits were attractive. After googling K.K. I realized that small tits weren't so bad after all.

by Anonymousreply 903/08/2013

What era was that op, the year one up until five minutes ago?

by Anonymousreply 103/08/2013

I truly believe a lot of beauty "ideals" are culturally inculcated and have nothing to do with some sort of biologically pre-determined preference.

Yes, I know science has theorized that we as a species look for symmetry,clear skin and youthfulness in our mates but many of these studies don't take into account all the intangibles that can make an individual attractive.

For example,when I was 4 or 5 my mom had a lot of Barbra Streisand albums in her collection and as I looked at the covers I just automatically assumed Barbra was what a beautiful,glamorous woman looked like. It wasn't until I got older and I realized that the culture thought she was "flawed" that my original opinion of her became modified. Now, when I see Funny Girl or Clear Day I still think Barbra can look strikingly beautiful but I'm aware of the problems too. Or at least what others pointed out to me as being "problems". If those features hadn't been focused on by others would my original perceptions have changed? I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 203/08/2013

I grew up in a time and place where nobody was considered attractive without a deep suntan, and of course I'm as melanin-free as a human being can be. I was in my twenties before I realized that a pale person could possibly be considered attractive.

R2 is correct, a lot of these "ideals of beauty" are fads or pushed by the media. Tans are very nice on a young person, but now all the fake-baking has become ludicrous.

by Anonymousreply 303/08/2013

That fake tan is the least of her worries @ r3.

I think a gay boy's idea of feminine beauty is going to be a bit skewed. Better to ask what our ideal of male beauty is.

I was attracted to the dark haired actor from Adam-12. Also to the actor who played Mannix. Anyone with dark hair and light eyes most probably because the men in my family looked like that.

by Anonymousreply 403/08/2013

Your incestuous Freudian issues are disturbing R4.

by Anonymousreply 503/08/2013

No they are not, R5.

by Anonymousreply 603/08/2013

Blonde hair and blue eyes were the norm for beauty in the 70s

by Anonymousreply 703/08/2013

OP- What is K.K.?

Growing up, big noses were considered ugly. Same with glasses and skinniness. In college, I realized that I was really attracted to tall, skinny boys with big or interesting noses and glasses. There were, unfortunately, very few boys like this who were not straight. The gays in late 90s Austin were still very into the fake tan, bleached teeth, muscly, nose job look. Thank god for the hipster aesthetic trickling down into the gay scene. Now I see so many gay guys with the particular look I am into. Of course, they are all ten+ years younger.

by Anonymousreply 803/08/2013

small nose, long blond hair, skinny, large chest.

by Anonymousreply 903/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.