Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is United States really violent?

I'm already making plans to move to the U.S. but I heard all these bad things about gun control and getting jumped on the streets. Can you tell me where I should move to avoid all this? Perhaps New York?

by Anonymousreply 6703/09/2013

it is violent, but it's HUGE country. pick your spot and shut the fuck up

by Anonymousreply 103/08/2013

The Watts portion of LA

by Anonymousreply 203/08/2013

Move to the Bronx. It's fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 303/08/2013

Galveston, Texas

by Anonymousreply 403/08/2013

Memphis, TN

by Anonymousreply 503/08/2013

Try MARYland

by Anonymousreply 603/08/2013

I've lived in NYC, LA, Seattle and Denver. Safety was never an issue. The only time I was ever concerned was when I took a wrong turn in New Orleans and wound up in the projects, and anothee time I wound up at a frat party and got close to getting beaten by a gang of dumb white frat boy "bros". It's mostly poor areas that have safety issues, but violence can find you anywhere, by anyone.

by Anonymousreply 703/08/2013

A very violent country. Guns, drugs and bravado. Unles you're coming from Eastern Europe, stay home.

by Anonymousreply 803/08/2013

MARY! @ r8

by Anonymousreply 903/08/2013

The U.S is violent as HELL!

by Anonymousreply 1003/08/2013

I'd go to Matamoros, Mexico instead.

by Anonymousreply 1103/08/2013

I've never seen anyone shoot a gun ever and I have lived only in New York and Los Angeles. It's a huge country and when you hear these stories it seems like it's everywhere, but it's not.

by Anonymousreply 1203/08/2013

[quote]I'm already making plans to move to the U.S.

Please don't. We have enough annoying foreigners.

by Anonymousreply 1303/08/2013

Stay out of Detroit, Philadelphia, and East St. Louis....

all violent shit holes.

by Anonymousreply 1403/08/2013

OP, what country are you leaving?

by Anonymousreply 1503/08/2013

[quote]I've never seen anyone shoot a gun ever and I have lived only in New York and Los Angeles. It's a huge country and when you hear these stories it seems like it's everywhere, but it's not.

lmao, yeeeah, sure.

by Anonymousreply 1603/08/2013

OP, what country are you from?

You should move to Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 1703/08/2013

Why is Datalounge afraid to acknowledge the misogyny of most of its posts?

by Anonymousreply 1803/08/2013

OP, just travel with a big gun, like the rest of us Yanks!

by Anonymousreply 1903/08/2013

Seriously, the violence isn't all that bad. You have, at the most, only a 40% chance of being shot during your lifetime, and it isn't likely to be fatal. We have a really good 911 system and excellent emergency rooms if you have full coverage medical insurance through your employer.

by Anonymousreply 2003/08/2013

Nobody is getting jumped in the street and you don't need to have a gun. This is all bullshit by the gun crazies who want you to think this is the wild west.

by Anonymousreply 2103/08/2013

R21 Scenes like this have become common in the last 8 years. I remember 6 years ago when this trend was in it's infancy there was a rash of mob theft at Washington D.C. gay stores. At the time I thought it was uniqe to gay stores and was anti-gay. Now, I've heard of many mahogany mobs stealing and destroying. It's something you have to watch out for.

by Anonymousreply 2203/08/2013

As much as I read about violence and see it on the news, and have lived in statistically violent cities such as Chicago and St. Louis, I simply have never really been exposed to it in real life. And, I lived in some fairly iffy neighborhoods when I was young. And beyond where I lived, I went out in very spotty areas, sometimes late at night. Of course, it matters which city and which neighborhood in which you live, and obviously violence will at times spill over into "good" areas. Also, you can obviously be smart about where you go and when, though that's no guarantee.

I have a good friend who still lives in St. Louis, and lives in the relatively good neighborhood of Benton Park, but St. Louis is really, really spotty (the north side is just generally bad) He's told me about several home invasions and on-the-street assaults that happened fairly close to him, but he's never actually witnessed anything like that or been a victim of such crime. That's not that surprising - statistically the vast majority of people will never be victims of violence.

The one thing I really have seen while living in different cities is property crime -- especially cars - myself and friends who live in the worst to the best neighborhoods have had their cars fucked with. Further, a few have experienced burglaries when not home.

As others have said, violence really matters on a host of factors - it can be a big part of daily life in some places, and virtually nonexistent in others. there's no simple answer. But, there are plenty of places in the U.S. where u will be pretty safe and not living in fear of violence.

by Anonymousreply 2303/08/2013

Violence! Violence!

by Anonymousreply 2403/08/2013

by Anonymousreply 2503/08/2013

America is an extremely dangerous place. Americans are simply brainwashed. It starts at birth. Shootings are the price we pay for freedom. That's the jargon we have to listen to all the time. There's horrific shootings every frigging day. 5 people getting shot in one incident is considered good in the US. That's lucky. Pollyannas need to get real.

by Anonymousreply 2603/08/2013

[quote]Nobody is getting jumped in the street and you don't need to have a gun.

Do you live in Philly. Actually, I'm curious, where do you live?

by Anonymousreply 2703/08/2013

I love it how people from outside the USA "make plans" to move to the USA, as if it is just like moving across town. Are you a teen who has seen too much American television?Check the visa requirements.

If you have a genuine student visa, or work-related visa, the question would have been posed more like, "I am moving to such-and-such a city, how violent is it?"

by Anonymousreply 2903/08/2013

Christ, you guys can't even recognize a troll post anymore? You're really slipping. OTOH, we all know that young people aren't learning any critical thinking skills.

OP? You lost me when you suggested that you should move to NY to "avoid crime."

by Anonymousreply 3003/08/2013

r27, I live in Los Angeles and grew up in NYC.

Sorry, but never saw any violence and my neighborhoods haven't been the ritzy areas.

No need for a gun, never ever.

by Anonymousreply 3103/08/2013

Just stay where you are, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3203/08/2013

The USA glorifies violence and bashes human affection.

by Anonymousreply 3303/08/2013

Camden, NJ, OP!

by Anonymousreply 3403/08/2013

I live in Washington DC and I've never had any encounters with crime, not even when I worked in a ghetto area.

That said, when I moved to DC 13 years ago, I chose to move to a Jewish neighborhood because Jewish neighborhoods are always nice & safe. So if you don't know where to move, you might want to keep that in mind.

by Anonymousreply 3503/08/2013

Beautiful Camden, NJ

by Anonymousreply 3603/08/2013

With the exception of certain poor neighborhoods in big cities, the US is quite safe. And even there, violent crime has been on the decline for years.

by Anonymousreply 3703/08/2013

Come to the San Francisco Bay Area. Hunters Point has lovely views of the bay. Oakland has mild weather and a lake in the center of the city. Simply heaven on toast points.

by Anonymousreply 3803/08/2013

I've lived in lousy neighborhoods in Chicago, New York in the days when it was still rough, and recently Bed Sty Brooklyn. I was more afraid of the police than anyone else. Being brown skinned ensures harassment.

by Anonymousreply 3903/08/2013

I live in Las Vegas which is said to be a very high crime city. What they don't mention is that there's a bad side of town (east side, also North Las Vegas, a separate town, is bad). The west side is pretty much all good and there are a lot of gated communities.

That doesn't stop all crime by a long shot, but a lot of crime here is directed at shoplifting, pickpocketing, drug dealing and robbery near the strip. Criminal activity from out of towners is concentrated around the Strip area. We've had a couple of shotouts on the Strip, they seem to be rappers and celebrities from LA. If they were locals, the Strip is an idiotic place to have a shootout, there are cameras everywhere. Sometimes I think morons from LA think it's glamourous to be involved in troublemaking around the Strip, it makes them seem cool somehow. The Strip is for tourists.

by Anonymousreply 4003/08/2013

[quote]gated communities.

That makes me feel soooo much better.

by Anonymousreply 4103/08/2013

If you live in a gated community you are somewhat sheltered from the violence here.

It is a gun crazed society. Robbery, drugs and theft rule. Those who don't think it is a violent place are fooling themselves.

by Anonymousreply 4303/08/2013

It's the minorities.

Where are all the run down white neighborhoods, full of violence, murders and drugs? Where in Chicago is an all white neighborhood that is unsafe to walk in?

Nope only in minority neighborhoods is it unsafe.

Racist? Yes, but also true.

by Anonymousreply 4403/08/2013

OP in Florida

by Anonymousreply 4503/08/2013

There is no violence where I live in the suburbs outside of NYC. There was no violence when I lived in Brooklyn for 15 years. The only time I was mugged was in SF and it was a "pack attack" by a gang.

by Anonymousreply 4603/08/2013

It's the blacks and Hispanics. White and Asian neighborhoods are almost always safe to walk around in.

by Anonymousreply 4703/08/2013

[quote]Where are all the run down white neighborhoods, full of violence, murders and drugs?

Northeast Philadelphia

by Anonymousreply 4803/08/2013

You do have to wonder why the cities with the largest African-American population is ravaged by high crime and drugs. Even a city like St. Louis is dangerous only in the half that is occupied largely by AA.

Is it racist? I don't think so. It's statistics. Those are the facts.

by Anonymousreply 4903/08/2013

[quote]With the exception of certain poor neighborhoods in big cities, the US is quite safe. And even there, violent crime has been on the decline for years.

lmao. And then you woke up. With the way the economy is going, it's only going to get worse.

by Anonymousreply 5003/08/2013

Well R49 it so happens the richest country in the world is also mostly black, that is to say, Bermuda.

by Anonymousreply 5103/08/2013

A single gun shooting would make European countries come to a standstill. In America, just another day. Schools have metal detectors installed. The South is extremely dangerous, and I'm not talking cities. Too many people on here live in tiny liberal ghettos, and have no real exposure to present-day Middle America. The ones that do have their heads in the sand. Until America fixes its gun problem, America is one of the most dangerous Western countries in existence. It's fixable, but the masses have been brainwashed by the NRA, which still has a high approval rating, even after Sandy Hook.

How many Western countries have people going on shooting sprees for days? Remember what happened in Washington 10 years ago? You couldn't even step out of your car without the threat of being murdered by a sharpshooter.

A big problem with America is that it blames its issues with violence on everything except gun culture. It just bought into the idea that video games are what causes shit like Sandy Hook, even in the face of all the other countries that buy video games by the truckloads, and aren't violent. Nancy Pelosi was one of the few that took a stand on the issue.

When Sandy Hook happened, gun sales went through the roof. We have kids taking guns to school, and blowing gay classmates heads off. We just had another middle school kid wrestling another kid on a school bus over a firearm. Both kids were punished.

Look at the Stand Your Ground law in places like Florida. That law is in multiple states around the country. You can legally shoot from your car in Florida. Now, they've passed legislation allowing people to walking into schools packing heat.

BTW, violence towards gays and lesbians is also very high, and nobody seems to bringing that specific issue up. I take it OP is probably gay.

Until we face reality and accept it, violence in America will never diminished. Keep going with the 'America is not violent' tripe, and we'll have more dead kids. America has had more mass shootings in the last five years than another other point in its history. People are getting shot in movie theaters. You can buy weapons online without any trouble at all.

by Anonymousreply 5203/08/2013

No one makes plans to move to the US without a specific plan for location. No one can just move in - you need a visa if you are planning to stay for more than six months and that visa needs to have a location. So I call BS on the silly trolling just to get some more anti US posts.

by Anonymousreply 5303/08/2013

Comedian Chris Rock famously advised......

If a friend calls you on the telephone and says he's lost on MLK boulevard and he wants to know what he should do, the best response is...... RUN!

by Anonymousreply 5403/08/2013

This country is VIOLENT!

I was SLAPPED on the bus today, PINCHED while in line and the bank, and GNAWED on by someone at the gym! This place is NUTS

by Anonymousreply 5503/08/2013

No. There are certain neighborhoods or areas in cities that are violent. Most murders and crimes are centralized in very few places (often, major/medium-sized urban cities). If you look at the map that charts major crimes (murder, rape, robbery), you'll see this is the case.

by Anonymousreply 5603/08/2013

It's good to find out information but you need to do your research. The U.S. is huge and the character or realities of a place can change from zip code to zipcode, let alone area code to area code.

If you do come here, don't start with that, "I heard Americans...", you wouldn't like it and neither do we.

by Anonymousreply 5703/08/2013

In LA, it can change from one block to the next.

by Anonymousreply 5803/08/2013

Where I live, it's from one person to the next.

by Anonymousreply 5903/08/2013

r44, parts of Boston would fit your description of White and violent.

by Anonymousreply 6003/08/2013

Is the United States really violent?

Not like South Africa violent... but give it a decade or so...

by Anonymousreply 6103/08/2013

yeah, only an idiot southerner would state that. I've seen part of Portland, painfully white which were violent (meth heads) and indeed the east coast has very intrenched poor white neighborhoods where violent crime persists.

by Anonymousreply 6203/08/2013

America is devastatingly violent, due to REpublicans fucking everything up. Gun manufacturers play politicians like a fine harp, spin up 2nd amendment bs OVER all Constitutional amendment sand rights guaranteed to Americans.

Fla is a hell hole of TeaBagging hating with Republicans in the state capital and the Governor Wingnut haters office. They created "stand your ground gun law" which is essentially open hunting season on young black men minding their own business. It is ok for any psycho racistwhite guy to bait them - Your are playing that rap music in your truck too lound!-then say "I thought I saw a gun!" and plug these young men right in the heart. LEGALLY.

The only place worth living in Fla in Gainesville, it is the most liberal and progressive city in that whole state. A SEA OF BLUE in the RED blood of hate.

Now, I would pick NYC, cause if you show up with that kind of gun issue, or start racist crap somebody is going to nail your ass.

Of course, cops have gotten out of control with Stop and Search for no Reason of Black Folks. Well that is corporate America buying politicians, and buying the laws.

We are now the Corporation of the United States. I do not really think there are many countries with this unigue combination of top 1% super wealthy citizens and corporate wealth designed to suppress people that work for a living, and laws created to suppress civil rights and worker rights, but it sure seems here to stay. Unless the Repukes are blown out of DC.

I do think there are several despot South American countries that have similar mind sets.

The nation most like ours would be China, all about Biz, and squashing individual liberties - China by oppressing Free speech and the internet. The US seems to deny Americans ability up to live in a CIVIL society free of bullying- whether gun manufacturers who dont care if children are gunned down in public schools, to the freak woman haters demanding all fetuses have rights over living women and certainly Gay folks.And you cant teach Science in public schools. Very very fukked up.

These are ugly dark, sideways and crazy days in America. The only hope is in Obama, Dems and another 8 years of one more Dem President.

by Anonymousreply 6303/09/2013

[R63] That second Dem presidency will add a couple new Supreme Court Justices to the SCOTUS. That will bring some of the Government back to sanity - the Judiciary.

Reckless Repubs will then no longer feel emboldened and CERTAIN that Septic Scalia, Freak Thomas, Asshat Alito, and Reactionary Roberts have their backs.

by Anonymousreply 6403/09/2013

3 people were killed on my street last month.

by Anonymousreply 6503/09/2013

R41, "gated communities" doesn't mean you are living in a fortress with barbed wire around the top of the fence like in "Escape from New York." I live in one.

It means the place is run by a homeowners association (HOA), and there are specific rules about yards must be maintained, no loud music late at night, no pit bulls, no junked cars in the driveway, trash on the patio, etc. Also, common areas like pools and landscaping are maintained by the association and you pay a monthly fee for that. Sometimes that includes painting the house and taking care of your roof repairs, for example. It also means you can't paint your house red and black or keep eyesores in plain view. It's a pain in the ass sometimes, but it keeps people from destroying the neighborhood's property value.

The end result is that people who want to act up don't want to live there. If you have large vicious dogs you don't want to be there. Some communities, like mine, have patrols by unarmed guards who report suspicious activity to the police. It's not perfect, but I can walk from my sister's house to mine within the community late at night, alone, and feel perfectly safe. My car has never been tampered with, my house has never been vandalized. Elderly people who live there can walk their dogs at night safely. The guards know everybody and their regular guests.

by Anonymousreply 6603/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!