Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Squatters who claim Moorish American Nationals refuse to leave $3 million Memphis home

What is Moorish American National heritage? Are they a protected group, like Native Americans?

It's our mansion now! Family of squatters invade lavish $3MILLION Memphis home, padlock the gates closed and refuse to leave

A family of squatters has broken into a $3 million mansion in Memphis, Tennessee, and are refusing to leave.

The decadent four acre residence, complete with a home theater and swimming pool, was foreclosed in August 2011 and had been sitting empty for 18 months.

But earlier this week, the squatters, claiming to be Moorish American Nationals, broke into the home, chaining the gate, and have ignored a bank-imposed deadline to vacate.

The new residents were discovered on Monday by Daniel Brown who comes every week to clean the pool at the property, located on Shady Grove Road, in a high-end neighborhood.

He said he arrived to find the gate padlocked with no trespassing signs posted to it.

The squatters, who were captured laughing in the window in local TV footage, even wrote a note on the gate claiming that the bank cannot own property and that the home, which was valued last year at $3.2 million, was theirs.

'The signage said the bank cannot own property, and that they had the original deed to the house and that they were taking them to court and there were eight other properties,' Brown told

The inhabitants, who were contacted by email, said their indigenous ancestry granted them ownership of the mansion. They added that they believe in 'love, truth, peace, freedom and justice.'

Neighbors are outraged that the squatters are bedding in on their street.

'We'll, I'm stunned really,' David Peck told

'I know the two former owners. And I knew the house was on the market, but I've never heard of anything like this.'

Another neighbor, Vallie Jo Bell, said: 'We were just really surprised. I hope they'll get out and maybe find another place to live.'

The home and property, totaling almost four acres, were valued together in 2012 at $3.2 million.

In 2006, Richard and April Rice bought the residence for $3.9 million but Renasant Bank assumed ownership in August 2011.

The mansion still has working utilities but neighbors said it doesn't have any furniture.

The bank had ordered the Moors to leave by 2:30 p.m. Wednesday but they ignored the order and remain inside the home as police and other officials try to work out how to evict them.

by Anonymousreply 1203/08/2013

This will all end in tears.

by Anonymousreply 103/08/2013

Good, R1, I hope it does. The tears on their tear-stained dead bodies.

by Anonymousreply 203/08/2013

This is so exciting. I can't wait to see what happens next.

by Anonymousreply 303/08/2013

Occupying land that belongs to someone else is an American tradition that dates back to the fucking Pilgrims.

by Anonymousreply 403/08/2013

Just drag them out. How hard is that.

If they go back, arrest them.

by Anonymousreply 503/08/2013

"Moorish American"

Like Demi Moores's potaoheaded loin droppings?

by Anonymousreply 603/08/2013

Moors? Did they time travel from 9th century Morocco?

by Anonymousreply 703/08/2013

Where there's a will there's a way.

by Anonymousreply 803/08/2013

"I'll get those Moorish fuckers out!"

by Anonymousreply 903/08/2013

Othello, Iago & Desdamona?

by Anonymousreply 1003/08/2013

Her real name is Tiffany or something and she is in their with her six kids, the oldest of whom is only 11. This chick is from Memphis and has declared herself Moorish. I'm sure law enforcement doesn't want to harm the children.

by Anonymousreply 1103/08/2013

No, they're "Moops"

by Anonymousreply 1203/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!