Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Island capsize?

If everyone on the island of Guam moved to one side, would it tip over? Because I was watching C-Span, and they were talking about it capsizing.

Don't islands have some sort of anchor that keeps them in place, and from tipping over?

by Anonymousreply 4103/11/2013

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 103/07/2013

R1, don't worry. The General or whoever he was said that it probably wouldn't happen. What surprised me was the fact that islands can tip over.

by Anonymousreply 203/07/2013

Actually the military man's exact words were, after being asked if Guam would tip over:

[quote]"We don't anticipate that. The population is currently about 175,000, and again with 8,000 marines and their families, that's an additional..."

by Anonymousreply 303/07/2013

OP, Guam was formed by two volcanos which are anchored in the earth, it is impossible for it to tip over.

by Anonymousreply 403/07/2013

Hmmm....I wonder why he didn't explain that to the congressman.

by Anonymousreply 503/07/2013

I lived in the Pacific during my teenage years and we would go island tipping sprees all the time. Mostly we did it at night as most island go to sleep when it gets dark.

by Anonymousreply 603/07/2013

Stupid should hurt...

by Anonymousreply 703/07/2013

OP, if everyone steps to one side of the earth, the whole flat earth will tip over. Didn't you learn this in school in your hometown in Texas?

by Anonymousreply 803/07/2013

Some of the blowup islands tip over. Mostly they use multiple anchors to stay right sided. Those anchors can snap without warning and that really ruins your lawn. That's why island people never fail to put their cars in the garage at night.

by Anonymousreply 903/07/2013

Here's the video of the congressman actually posing this question. Just sad.

by Anonymousreply 1003/07/2013

By the way, it's from three years ago.

by Anonymousreply 1103/07/2013

Right, R10. He's the congressman that Rahm Emmanuel asked to run in order to replace Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney because she asked Donald Rumsfeld about 9/11 war games and DynCorp sex trafficking, and she was questioning the entire 9/11 official story.

I'm sure Rahm selected him for his high IQ.

by Anonymousreply 1203/07/2013

One of the first things that McKinney questioned after 9/11, were the slick brochures, magazines with photographs, etc, that appeared on the newsstands immediately after the attacks that day. She said that unlike a lot of her peers in Congress, she knew/knows firsthand not to trust government, belonging to a part of society that government targeted and continues to target.

by Anonymousreply 1303/07/2013

R8 = Sherri Shepard

by Anonymousreply 1403/08/2013

We're unfazed by your island tipping mischief

by Anonymousreply 1503/08/2013

OP if you are a cute white male I would take you over my knee and spank you for posting such a silly thread.

by Anonymousreply 1603/08/2013

The problem is that the middle part could break away from the two volcano anchors and float across the Pacific. Since Guam has little interest for tourists, the governor is in negotiations with Disney to build a theme park in the middle of the island to attract visitors. The weight of a Space Mountain would hold the island in place.

Of course, there's still the snake problem. That should soon be ended. The Air Force plans to drop 40,000 poisoned mice in order to kill the snakes.

by Anonymousreply 1703/08/2013

Is that a way of saying Dolly Parton had her massive mammarys reduced?

by Anonymousreply 1803/08/2013

No, you idiot. it's not an anchor.

The cables that bring the internets to Guam hold it in place.

by Anonymousreply 1903/08/2013

[quote]If everyone on the island of Guam moved to one side, would it tip over? Because I was watching C-Span, and they were talking about it capsizing.

And just now, a full three years after the incident, you've come here to wonder this aloud? Or does C-Span have a funnies show?

by Anonymousreply 2003/08/2013

Guam is full of tree snakes brought by the yellow menace during WWII to infest the island, provide food for the Nips and depopulate the natives.

by Anonymousreply 2103/08/2013

Tip it!

by Anonymousreply 2203/08/2013

Why are we so mean to natives?

by Anonymousreply 2303/08/2013

If you're a brown tree snake, those dead rodents that will soon be falling from the sky over Guam's Andersen Air Force Base could be your last meal.

That's because the U.S. Department of Agriculture is planning to pack each one with acetaminophen, the generic equivalent of Tylenol, which can kill a snake in 72 hours.

The drug-laced mice will be taped to pieces of cardboard, which in turn will be attached to streamers that will be dropped from helicopters over more than 100 acres of the Air Force base on the Pacific island.

The bombing campaign is expected to begin this spring, Dan Vice, the USDA assistant operations director on Guam, told the local Pacific News Center. It replicates a smaller-scale test drop tried on Naval Base Guam in 2010, he said.

The goal, he said, is eradicating the brown tree snake from the island.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service says brown tree snakes have wiped out most of Guam's native populations of forest birds since being accidentally introduced to the island after World War II, probably after they stowed away on a ship or plane from their native range in Australia, Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands. The snakes, which can grow up to 8 feet long, also eat small mammals and lizards.

The snake is mildly venomous, the FWS says, but it does not pose a danger to most adults, and its bite will not penetrate clothing.

Besides its effect on bird populations, the snakes also take an economic toll on Guam by causing numerous power outages each year when they cross from tree into electrical lines, the FWS says.

There could be as many as 2 million of the snakes on Guam, where they have no natural predators. The $1 million program is being funded by the Department of Defense, according to the report.

by Anonymousreply 2403/08/2013

What R24 posted was actually interesting, especially considering how this thread began.

by Anonymousreply 2503/08/2013

Exactly, R25. That is a fascinating post. The mice are already dead? I thought snakes only eat fresh kill.

Of course, I now have visions of Les Nesman in helicopter.

by Anonymousreply 2603/08/2013

There will be an unfortunate consequence of those Tylenol mice

by Anonymousreply 2703/08/2013

The streamers will catch in branches of the trees and wind will make the dead mice move around. Thus, some dumb snakes won't know the mice are dead since they're flying through the sky and moving with the breezes.

Can you imagine someone being asked about their job: "I work for the government. I tie streamers to dead mice."

by Anonymousreply 2803/08/2013

[quote]Can you imagine someone being asked about their job: "I work for the government. I tie streamers to dead mice."

A college friend's work study job involved using an ice pick to unwedge individual freeze dried mice from a large block of freeze dried mice. It was in some lab on campus. He said that some days it was the only thing he did.

by Anonymousreply 2903/08/2013

Let's hope they distribute the mice evenly.

by Anonymousreply 3003/08/2013

"OP, Guam was formed by two volcanos which are anchored in the earth, it is impossible for it to tip over."

In defense of OP, landforms which are not islands, but parts of continental masses, can tip over, erode, fault, break and or collapse. The same could be true of an island.

by Anonymousreply 3103/08/2013

"Guam is full of tree snakes brought by the yellow menace"

Who would the Yellow Skin Troll identify as the "yellow menace"?

by Anonymousreply 3203/08/2013

Brad Pitt's pappy brought tree snakes to Guam?

by Anonymousreply 3303/08/2013

What, R33?

by Anonymousreply 3403/09/2013

[quote], the generic equivalent of Tylenol, which can kill a snake in 72 hours.

A guy in Chicago tried this, it didn't work out so well.

by Anonymousreply 3503/09/2013

I love r17.

by Anonymousreply 3603/09/2013

What does R33 mean?

by Anonymousreply 3703/09/2013

Is this the island where Gilligan went?

by Anonymousreply 3803/10/2013

I don't get R33.

by Anonymousreply 3903/10/2013

[quote]Since Guam has little interest for tourists

Bitch, please. Guam is renowned for having some of the best SCUBA diving in the world.

by Anonymousreply 4003/10/2013

Explanation please, R33.

by Anonymousreply 4103/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!