Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is it better to buy MP3s on iTones or Amazon?

I accodently purchased music on Amazon instead of iTones. How do I get them on my iPodz? Help! I need to get them on my iPodz. Please help!

by Anonymousreply 4903/31/2013

Amazon is best.

by Anonymousreply 103/07/2013

The tones sound better on Amazon?

by Anonymousreply 203/08/2013

Is it true that Amazon has MP3s but Apple doesn't have MP3s but something else entirely?

by Anonymousreply 303/08/2013

OP, go to your downloads folder, find the music you purchased, and move it to your iTunes music files. Click on each song and it will be added to iTunes.

by Anonymousreply 403/08/2013

Amazon is the best. They constantly have sales and promotions. iTunes NEVER does. One price and that's it. I have gotten many albums on Amazon for half the price of iTunes.

by Anonymousreply 503/08/2013

I agree with the others - Amazon is best.

by Anonymousreply 603/08/2013

Wow, Amazon is having a huge sale now. All albums $2.99 or $3.99. I got Bruno Mars, Mickey Nimaj, Alanis Morrisette, P!nk, The Lumineers, Macamore, Carly Ray Jetson, The Black Keys, Edward Shareen, Lena Dunham's band and more!

by Anonymousreply 703/08/2013

Amazon, definitely.

by Anonymousreply 803/08/2013

Neither. Both are a rip-off. I download songs for $.05 apiece from a Russian website. And since I'm paying (albeit barely), I don't see how I can ever get in trouble.

by Anonymousreply 903/08/2013

Link please, r9. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 1003/08/2013

Yes r3, iTunes uses a proprietary mp3-like format, m4a or something. Apple tries to force you to use iPods to play them too, since the format isn't widely supported on other players. All my mp3 players have been SanDisk, and none of them play the iTunes format.

Amazon and iTunes should both offer lossless flac, but the record companies probably don't like letting us have lossless as easily as a click.

by Anonymousreply 1103/08/2013

Yes, Amazon sells you an actual mp3, whereas iTunes gives you an m4p file that is a pain in the ass to play on unauthorized devices.

There are converters out there that will convert your iTunes music files to mp3s, but it's not worth the hassle when Amazon is cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 1203/08/2013

r9, they force you to pay $25 up front though, and then you slowly whittle it away 5 cents at a time. Trouble is those 5 cents stores are shady and can disappear at any time. Mine was there for years, but disappeared a couple years ago. I don't think I'd spent more than about $5. The problem is you're restricted to whatever the store has. It's just stuff they downloaded for free from the internet, which is also where I get most of my music.

by Anonymousreply 1303/08/2013

r12, the problem is bigger than a hassle, converting one lossy format to another is called transcoding and it reduces the quality a lot. When you make an mp3 a lot of the information is removed, but not enough that you can hear the difference at high bitrates. But if you transcode that mp3 to another lossy format, even more information is removed, and then it sounds like shit.

by Anonymousreply 1403/08/2013

Amazon. You can do whatever the fuck you want with your purchases on any device and it stores them in a free cloud player and will automatically put them in you Itunes if you use Itunes. Plus they have a good customer service if you need. Say your computer crashes or something it's easy to get them back from Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 1503/08/2013

Same subject, different topic....

What application do you manage your music with?

by Anonymousreply 1603/08/2013

How do I get my Amazon into my iPhone? All I could do is play them in the Amaxon Cloud.

by Anonymousreply 1803/08/2013

Madonna: The Esmasculate Collection is only $3.69!!

by Anonymousreply 1903/08/2013

Jesus Christ. Pay a High School Freshman 50 bucks to get everything working for you gramps.

by Anonymousreply 2003/08/2013

Thanks, r17.

by Anonymousreply 2103/08/2013

Here's my Ipod history. I got one when they first came out. I used a software called Ephpod which was developed by students at MIT. It was the best and easiest software ever. However when they graduated thy didn't feel like maintaining it when Ipods kept upgrading so it became useless.

I tried to switch to Itunes bought it wouldn't load or accept the thousands of songs I stole from Napster back in its heyday. It recognized I didn't have the rights for them. Then I bought a second software to manage my music called Redchair. It was just about as good as Ephod only it wasn't free but it was worth 20 bucks. Unfortunately Redchair stopped being compatible too.

Then on my third Ipod Itunes started recognizing my stolen tracks so I used that and continue to do so. I just buy my songs from Amazon. Amazon will automatically load them into Itunes, create a folder on any computer you use it on, and allows free cloud storage. Plus Amazon has no limits on the devices you can put your purchase on and all the other benefits I listed above.

I also use an Ipod/music library management software that I bought from Bootstrap media. This allows you to back up what is on your Ipod and will force load your Ipod contents on to any computer, into Itunes that you want. A couple of times a year a backup my music to a couple external hard drive using this system.

I like thinking my music is safe.

If you are having trouble using your Amazon songs or the contents of your player with Amazon you can go use Amazon for another benefit it has. Actual customer service. If you are having problems getting everything going a tech will walk you through it, patiently, calmly, and all the while being competent. For free.

All this talk got me nostalgic and curious about Ephpod. Seems like they have renewed their interest in it and have updated it. I will be checking it out when I have time. I suggest you do the same. You probably won't regret it. When it started it was recognized by geeks as the best and easiest way to manage your Ipod without the intrusion of the Apple Overlord.

by Anonymousreply 2203/08/2013

by Anonymousreply 2303/08/2013

God I remember the hassles of my first Ipod. How it ever took I'll never know. It was so not user friendly. In those days there was no Itunes and you had to take your computer apart and put in a firewire card. Ugh.

I love my Ipod but why the fuck Apple never went drag and drop I will never know. Well yeah I do know. Just wish they weren't such assholes.

by Anonymousreply 2403/08/2013

R9, R13, R17, etc., how can you be certain that some of that money or any money goes to your favourite artists (and not to some scam artists), or don't you give a shit?

by Anonymousreply 2503/08/2013

I don't give a shit, R25. All I care about is not getting arrested.

by Anonymousreply 2603/08/2013

iPhone 5. I use torrents. 320 Kbps.

by Anonymousreply 2703/08/2013

R25, are you really that stupid to think part of the 5 cents go to the original artist?!? My God!

by Anonymousreply 2803/08/2013

What about buying moovies? iTunes or Amazon better? And do they include all the extra features that would come with the DVD?

by Anonymousreply 2903/08/2013

No, r28, are you really that stupid to think that's what I meant? Ok, this might be a little clearer even for you: do you not give a shit about your favourite artists when you download illegally for free or as cheap as possible? R26 has at least clearly stated that he does not give a shit about his favourite musicians.

by Anonymousreply 3003/08/2013

r18, is your question how to get the music from the Amazon Cloud into your phone? If you have the Amazon Cloud Player app installed on your iPhone, go to Settings in the app and turn on the "Auto-download Amazon mp3 purchases" option. Then exit Settings and tap on the "Device" button (at the top of the screen, next to "Cloud").

That works for music you've bought from Amazon. If you have mp3s from other sources that live on your computer, the only way I've found is to manually transfer them in using iTunes to manage the app/files.

by Anonymousreply 3103/08/2013

mp3s suck. Go back to your Zune.

Real music lovers use WavPack or (gasp) Flac if you're into stealing music. Those are lossless files and you get REAL music, not that tin sounding pieces of shit, called mp3 or mp4

by Anonymousreply 3203/08/2013

When I got my iPod two years ago, I downloaded the latest update and stayed with that. When you buy from iTunes they want to keep updating the iPod, but I'm totally satisfied with the simple way I have it set up and don't want all their latest add-ons. Buying from Amazon, I add mp3s to my iPod without doing updates that iPod people want to install.

by Anonymousreply 3303/08/2013

Buying used CDs at garage sales subject to copyright prosecution!

by Anonymousreply 3403/08/2013

R11 has it ass backwards. iTunes uses AAC (m4a - m4p is deprecated) which is an open free standard, and arguably better than mp3 at lower bit rates. There are no DRMed songs sold on iTunes any more, particularly as Apple was at the forefront of the campaign to get the music labels to drop their insistence on protected downloads. Mp3, on the other hand, is a proprietary format owned by the Frauenhofer Institute. Retailers have to pay a licence on players supporting it and songs encoded in it.

As for which is better - it is a wash. iTunes encodes at 256kbps throughout whilst Amazon has reduced its encoding from 320 kbps to 256kpbs and often lower and you only find out once you have downloaded. The last album I bought from Amazon clocked in at 224kbps VBR with some songs as low as 192kbps. I won't buy any more from it.

Cheaper music players may not necessarily support AAC, so you would be safer buying from Amazon. However, I would look elsewhere, such as 7digital or emusic first, as those still give the full 320kbps.

by Anonymousreply 3503/08/2013

FWIW, R17's site only takes payment in Euros. Take that into consideration.

by Anonymousreply 3603/08/2013

And it goes straight into the coffers of the Russian mafia. Then again, if it means Nicky Minash won't release any more "music", I'm ok with that.

by Anonymousreply 3703/08/2013

Personally I love iTunes! Yes iTunes downloads are in m4a (Apple Format) but I convert them to mp3 via iTunes. A lot of people bash iTunes that it forces you to use their iPods and formats but that is not true at all. Nor do you have to download third party software to convert. I like listening to my music in Windows Media Player which is why I convert my music to mp3 and can play it anywhere.

Some stuff is on iTunes that is not on Amazon, and vice versa. iTunes saves all of your purchases, so in case your computer breaks, and you don’t have access to the files, you can re-download everything in your history for free, as long as it remains in their system.

A lot of movies do come with the extras, you have to purchase them and make sure they have the “iTunes Extras” logo.

I endorse iTunes.

by Anonymousreply 3803/08/2013

At least R9 is honest. He's a thief and doesn't care. I can't stand the people who try to make stealing music into some kind of Robin Hood-like crusade where they are "sticking it to the man"

by Anonymousreply 3903/08/2013

Do artists get a royalty check every month?

by Anonymousreply 4003/08/2013

r40 The record label gets the check. Then whatever the agreement with the artist is that's between them.

by Anonymousreply 4103/08/2013

What percentage of the 5 cents does the record company get and what percent does the artist get?

by Anonymousreply 4203/08/2013

Amazon has been able to keep prices on the majority of singles down at 99 cents for the past couple of years even when most had gone up to $1.29 on iTunes. But just in the past month or so the bulk of songs on Amazon has gone up.

by Anonymousreply 4303/31/2013

What is this, 2005? Get Spotify, chumps.

by Anonymousreply 4403/31/2013

I avoid iTunes like the plague.

by Anonymousreply 4503/31/2013

I started buying CDs from Amazon back in 1998. As technology progressed, I wound up using Amazon for mp3s too. One of the things I appreciate about Amazon is that a few months ago, many of the CDs that I purchased through them since 1998 are now available to me streaming through their cloud. That was a really cool surprise and I'll continue to stay loyal to them.

by Anonymousreply 4603/31/2013

What the fuck does Spotify do? They won't get me enter the site without connecting to my Facebook account. There's no fucking way I'm doing that.

by Anonymousreply 4703/31/2013

[quote]I avoid iTunes like the plague.

You're being very silly and ridiculous. It's so much easier to download music to your iPhone (or iPad) from iTunes, then from Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 4803/31/2013

[quote]You're being very silly and ridiculous.

No, I'm not.

[quote]It's so much easier to download music to your iPhone (or iPad) from iTunes, then from Amazon.

You presume I have an iPhone (or iPad). I don't. I used to, but even then, I avoided it like the plague.

by Anonymousreply 4903/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!