Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

*The OFFICIAL 2013 World Figure Skating Championships Thread*

(Posted by request.)

MARCH 11-17 2013

(Actual competition portion starts Wednesday, March 13)

Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 11:00 – Pairs Short Program

Wednesday, March 13, 2013, 15:45 – Opening on Ice, Men Short Program

Thursday, March 14, 2013, 10:30 – Ladies Short Program

Thursday, March 14, 2013, 17:15 – Ice Dance Short Dance

Friday, March 15, 2013, 11:45 – Pairs Free Program & Victory Ceremony

Friday, March 15, 2013, 17:45 – Men Free Program & Victory Ceremony

Saturday, March 16, 2013, 14:30 – Ice Dance Free Dance & Victory Ceremony

Saturday, March 16, 2013, 19:00 – Ladies Free Program & Victory Ceremony

The Exhibition Gala will complete the week of competition on Sunday at 14:00 at the Budweiser Gardens.

by Anonymousreply 8303/22/2014

So guys.. who do we think will win?

by Anonymousreply 103/11/2013

The minute David Dore is out, Patrick Chan will lose.

by Anonymousreply 203/11/2013

And America yawnzzzzzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 303/11/2013

We don't care about the sissy "sports"

by Anonymousreply 403/11/2013

R3, America has several good skaters at this event, including Olympic & World Ice Dance Medalists Meryl Davis & Charlie White.

Remember twinky Charlie White? We talked a lot about him at the 2010 Olympics.

(Shirtless pic of Charlie White at link)

by Anonymousreply 503/11/2013

My favorite Javier Fernandez is TOO DAMN INCONSISTENT. Damn it Javi, it's bugging the hell out of me. I'm starting to think his euro gold was just a fluke. It's too bad, he's got so much potential (he's hot too!), unfortunately he's struggling a lot with his jumps. He did amazing at the euro, I'm not sure if we'll see that level from Javi ever again. I know I'm negative, I just can't help it. He had a terrible practice today, he missed so many jumps and I have an awful feeling for thursday.

by Anonymousreply 603/11/2013

Javier Fernandez earlier today, being coached by Brian Orser:

by Anonymousreply 703/11/2013

I hate to say it, but with the Kwan era long since past, I no longer care. I will feel the same way if Hillary fails to enter the 2016 race.

by Anonymousreply 803/11/2013

I think it's true that women's skating has been less exciting since Kwan left.

by Anonymousreply 903/12/2013

Isn't Yu Na returning to competition this year? She could make it worth watching

by Anonymousreply 1003/12/2013

I wondered what was up since my previous thread on this went nowhere. I guess datalounge is "over" figure skating because of the corrupt evil that is Patrick Chan.

by Anonymousreply 1103/12/2013

Fame whore Kwan being forced into retirement by an injury was the best thing to happen to women's skating.

by Anonymousreply 1203/12/2013

Is Evan competing?

by Anonymousreply 1303/12/2013

Didn't you get the memo R12? She dropped the right-wing boyfriends and we no longer hate her.

by Anonymousreply 1403/12/2013

No, R13. Evan didn't even compete at Nationals this year.

by Anonymousreply 1503/12/2013

Tonight (Wednesday) will be the first official night of competition, beginning with the Men's event.

Men's Entry List:

by Anonymousreply 1603/13/2013

We still very much dislike the woman who dated an anti-gay crusader for 2 years, R14. Kwan is a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 1703/13/2013

Javi disappointed, not that I'm surprised though, cause he's still very inconsistent. I knew there was no way in hell he'd medal, it's one thing to win euros, it's an entirely different thing to win at the worlds. I cringed when I saw the so-called experts said he was the favorite, which is ridiculous, since he himself said the goal was a top five finish. I am kinda surprised at the level overall though, the men are usually so stable, but they all imploded skating the SP. Oh well, on the bright side.. Javi can still reach his goal of a top five finish if he does a good FS. It's also nice to see Kevin Reynolds do well, especially since he's gay, and it's kinda like an f-u to the homophobic Skate Canada.

by Anonymousreply 1803/14/2013

This thread is useless without ass pics of the male skaters.

by Anonymousreply 1903/14/2013

Is any of it airing on any US sports network? If it's in Ontario, it would be LIVE in the Eastern US and probably get at least decent ratings on some cable channel.

by Anonymousreply 2003/14/2013

R18, how do you know that Kevin Reynolds is gay?

Gay or straight, he's rather unfortunate-looking.

by Anonymousreply 2103/14/2013

Patrick Chan didn't fall! How is that even possible?

Dennis Ten in second!

by Anonymousreply 2203/14/2013

We've never before seen a performance where Patrick Chan did not fall.

by Anonymousreply 2303/14/2013

I think it's funny that the t.v. people were all prepared to fudge his choking. They had the volume turned way up so you could hear his skates on the ice (and they didn't have the volume up for the other skaters, implying it was louder and therefore different and better!)

The corruption of the ISU extends all the way to the coverage.

by Anonymousreply 2403/14/2013

R21, because I have eyes? It's pretty obvious the boy is gay. Who cares how he looks? He's good and he's gay. We should be rooting for him instead of tearing him apart.

by Anonymousreply 2503/14/2013

U.S. Ice Dancing twink Charlie White and his partner Meryl Davis finished 1st in the short dance tonight, ahead of Canadians Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir.

by Anonymousreply 2603/15/2013

R23, I don't get the love for Patrick Chan at all. Some people even say his family was behind the homophobic politics in Skate Canada. His family is Chinese and conservative, and they wanted to "toughen" up the sport, which is what happened. They got what they wanted because Patrick is their big star.

People just don't like Patrick. He's cocky, rude and just not likable. Maybe there's a reason people want to see him fail, just saying. And that includes me. The sport suffers when an asshole like him is the big star. And his "I'd rather skate for Canada" was kinda disgusting too. Sorry, I just don't like Patrick, and I never will. I'll continue to root for Kevin Reynolds, who is obviously gay and much more likable than the asshole Patrick.

by Anonymousreply 2703/15/2013

[quote] We've never before seen a performance where Patrick Chan did not fall.

2011 and 2012 Worlds

by Anonymousreply 2803/15/2013

Charlie and Meryl are the only ice skaters I care a about

by Anonymousreply 2903/15/2013

That is good R29 because the rest of the US team is in such poor shape.

The US may only qualify 1 team for mens and womens at 2014 Olympics!

by Anonymousreply 3003/15/2013

The US women will easily qualify 2 skaters, maybe even 3.

by Anonymousreply 3103/15/2013

[quote](Posted by request.)

Prove it.

by Anonymousreply 3203/15/2013

Men's Long Programs now on.

by Anonymousreply 3303/15/2013

He fell in both those R28, multiple times each.

by Anonymousreply 3403/15/2013

Yu Na is the queen. No one can touch her. She is the complete package - artistry and athleticism. She is also consistent, which is rare.

by Anonymousreply 3503/16/2013

I've seen her screw up R35, although only once.

by Anonymousreply 3603/16/2013

Atrocious result in the Men's event tonight - no wonder figure skating ratings are going down and the public is fed up.

It is not right for Patrick Chan to fall on his ass TWICE and then make 2 more jumping mistakes for a total of FOUR mistakes and easily walk off with the World Championship.

And who cares if Brian Joubert under-rotated a few of his jumps? He should not have finished so far behind Patrick - he didn't fall on his ass twice.

I congratulate Brian Joubert on a great skate at his final Worlds. As for Chan, he should acknowledge that the marks he gets from the judges are a joke and that he does not feel right accepting a World Championship that he is not entitled to.

by Anonymousreply 3703/16/2013

There's been PT on Datalounge all weekend long, so I can only reply now. Anyway.. my views on the championships (men), I'll try to keep it short: Brian Joubert was underscored, Patrick Chan was terrible overscored (BS bias again), Denis Ten positively surprised, he was spectacular to watch, Javier Fernandez not on his best, but still managed to win the bronze. Loved Javi's exo btw! It was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 3803/18/2013

Johnny Weir talked positively about Brian Joubert on Twitter.

Although part of that may be that Weir like's Joubert's huge ass . . .

by Anonymousreply 3903/18/2013

Russia did very poorly for the mens event.

They only qualified one male singles skater for the Olympics in their home country!

by Anonymousreply 4003/18/2013

That's good, R39. I feel like the judges were way too harsh on him. So what if he under rotated a few of the jumps, and one of the jumps was apparently invalid.. but 65 in technical?!?! are you kidding me? I could perhaps understand anything between 75 and 80. But 65? Wow... no words really. Even the commentators were in shock. I'll post the video of his free skate. Oh well, on the bright side.. at least the crowd seemed to love him. He's still as popular as ever. Most people acknowledge that his scores were complete BS.

I feel that the judges overall were VERY harsh on failed jumps, under rotations etc this championships, with the exception of Chan of course, as always. I adore Florent Amodio, and he fell during a step sequence, and he was punished hard for that. Weirdly enough they spared Patrick Chan, his points were insane considering he fell twice.

by Anonymousreply 4103/18/2013

American Ice Dancing twink Charlie White & his partner beat Canadian Ice Dance champion Scott Moir & his partner.

by Anonymousreply 4203/18/2013

It's amazing that Chan fell on his ass TWICE and made several other mistakes, and was still able to win Gold. Outrageous.

by Anonymousreply 4303/18/2013

In fairness he placed SECOND in the free skate. Denis Ten won the free skate.

But because Chan was ten points ahead of Denis Ten after the short, he squeaked out a victory. If Denis Ten got two more points in the free, he would have won. Chan beat Denis Ten overall by 1.5 points.

by Anonymousreply 4403/18/2013

R42, I actually prefer Poje and Weaver. And my god is Poje hot as hell. I have no idea why I only noticed him this year, just wow. He looks like a disney prince! Their ice dance program moved me to tears, I know, Mary! It was just so beautiful. It's incredible that they got in 5th place considering they only started skating again last month after Weaver was out several months due to an injury.

I know I will get bashed for this, but I just don't like the American ice dance pair. They're technically good, but that's all. Their program doesn't move me like Poje and Weaver's program does.

by Anonymousreply 4503/18/2013

Chan should have finished lower than 2nd in the free skate - that's part of the problem. He was still overmarked. And he was overmarked in the short program too. That's one of the things the judges do - they give Chan such high marks in the short that when he bombs in the long they can still hold him up.

by Anonymousreply 4603/18/2013

Exactly, R46! His short program was good, but not world record good. That's just insane. They overscored him so he would have something to fall back on if he bombed in the free skate, which is exactly what happened. This way he would be so far ahead that a bad free skate wouldn't matter, he'd win anyway.

by Anonymousreply 4703/18/2013

I think that Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje are underrated. Their programs always move me and yes, r45, I agree that Poje is surreally handsome. Another favorite ice dancing team of mine is the French team of Nathalie Pechalat and Fabien Bourzat; I always admire their musicality and elegance. It seems to be hard for any team to break the hold that Davis/White and Virtue/Moir have over ice dancing.

As for Davis and White, I have a lot of respect for their talent and like each of them as people, but they rarely move me. I think it is because Davis and White don't have the right sort of chemistry to really make magic on the ice; they seem like brother and sister.

by Anonymousreply 4803/20/2013

I basically agree with everything you said, R48. Davis and White are good, but they rarely move me. For once I'd like to see a dance pair win who can actually move people, the way Weaver and Poje do.

Here's the video, for those of you who missed it.

by Anonymousreply 4903/20/2013

Andrew Poje is decent-looking yes, and he's very tall (almost 6'4) and has a nice ass. But I don't like his stuck up personality, and he's one of the guys who promoted his heterosexuality in the Skate Canada campaign a few years ago. Major turnoff.

by Anonymousreply 5003/22/2013

What has Andrew Poje ever said or done to show that he has a "stuck up personality", r50?

by Anonymousreply 5103/22/2013

Yu Na Kim is the greatest skater in a good long while. The fact that she came back to dominate after a year off, and at the age of 22 when skaters are thinking of hanging it up.

by Anonymousreply 5203/22/2013

R51, as I just explained above, he proudly exclaimed in the Get Tough on Skating campaign that he was not gay and that he was a good heterosexual guy. He also seemed to think that he and his partner were entitled to be at Worlds this year even though they were injured at Nationals and didn't qualify for the podium. They had to be given a "bye" to Worlds.

by Anonymousreply 5303/22/2013

First of all I just want to say that I don't condone it if that is what happened, R53. But are you sure you're just not reading too much into it? If he just said "I'm straight", is it really that bad?Also, how do you know he wasn't pushed by homophobic Skate Canada to say those things? Maybe he didn't even want to comment on it.. who knows. I think it's kinda unfair to blame him without knowing all of the facts though.

by Anonymousreply 5403/22/2013

I don't think anyone ever said Poje was straight. He certainly doesn't seem straight to me.

by Anonymousreply 5503/22/2013

I just watched the vids. Underwelmed by White and Davis. Moir was looking good - maybe a butt implant and some plastic surgery on the face. In fact, it worked against them. They won because Virtue is clearly a stronger skater than Davis, who had an anorexic vibe. Having Moir hot enough to skate with her took focus off her and that left their scores in the dumper since he's a little sloppy in his skating. Charlie and Meryl weren't especially creative or manic this time, so it's a little surprising they won. Loved Poje's FD.

by Anonymousreply 5603/22/2013

I can't stand Davis and White. I find them boring as hell. And Meryl is odd-looking.

by Anonymousreply 5703/22/2013

R56, you are quite an expert in skating.

by Anonymousreply 5803/22/2013

No i'm not, but I didn't pretend to be either. No reason to be snotty R58.

by Anonymousreply 5903/22/2013

Virtue and Moir were such heroes to Canadians when they won the Olympics, although it was already clear Charlie was a better skater than Moir. But Davis and White kept chugging and forged ahead. I think this is the second or third year they've been on top. And yet I'm not sure they really deserve to be this year.

by Anonymousreply 6003/22/2013

Virtue & Moir haven't really progressed since winning the 2010 Olympics. They've sat back and allowed Davis & White to overtake them.

Scott Moir also has a major attitude problem and has lost his temper many times, and it's beginning to annoy the judges. By contrast, Charlie White is much more easy-going and charming.

And perhaps the rumors of Tessa Virtue having an affair with David Pelletier harmed her image with the judges too.

In any event, Davis & White enter the Olympics as the possible favorites now.

by Anonymousreply 6103/23/2013

Davis and White are the POSSIBLE favorites? They're the clear cut favorites, you moron.

by Anonymousreply 6203/23/2013

Meryl Davis is very odd-looking, R57. No doubt about it. I feel bad for her.

by Anonymousreply 6303/23/2013

I don't think Poje pings at all, r55. In fact I get a vibe that he and his partner are a couple.

by Anonymousreply 6403/23/2013

NBC is finally airing the 2 hour wrap-up. How kind of them.

by Anonymousreply 6503/23/2013

So who is Patrick Chan giving his ass to then? To win afte that peformance, someone is giving up something. Maybe he gives good head.

by Anonymousreply 6603/23/2013

Patrick Chan's ass has been fucked so many times you can hear clapping when he skates.

by Anonymousreply 6703/23/2013

I don't know, R57.. I can't figure him out. Sometimes he pings, and other times he doesn't. I saw the video where he was supporting his partner during her physio therapy. He seemed very gentle and careful. I just don't know if it's because he was protective of her, or he's in love with her, or just cares about her in a platonic way, who knows. He seemed very sensitive though, so he could be gay.

by Anonymousreply 6803/23/2013

I think you are talking to r55, and to me at r64, r68.

by Anonymousreply 6903/23/2013

I don't know R63. Something about both her face and body screams weird. It's like she has Avatar face or something.

by Anonymousreply 7003/23/2013

Who cares what she looks like? I can't take my eyes off of Charlie. He is lovely.

by Anonymousreply 7103/23/2013

Scott Hamilton is a national treasure.

by Anonymousreply 7203/23/2013

Scott Hamilton is a Republican dwarf.

by Anonymousreply 7303/23/2013

I am just now watching the men's event. Max Aaron, what a cutie with a booty. Amazing body and ass.

by Anonymousreply 7403/23/2013

It's nice to know that some things don't change: judges are still screwing with the system to make sure their favorites win.

by Anonymousreply 7503/23/2013

Are Davis & White done skating? I fell asleep.

by Anonymousreply 7603/24/2013

You're right, R69. Sorry about that. I meant R55 instead of R57. My thread starter has too many threads in it right now, so they are kinda slow. But I've reloaded the page now, so it should work better :) I was of course talking about Andrew Poje, I'm glad I made it obvious enough to understand :)

by Anonymousreply 7703/24/2013

lol. Davis and White don't do much to excite anyone. Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 7803/24/2013

Dick Button is getting his box of Kleenix ready for the male skaters.

by Anonymousreply 7903/24/2013

If having to deal with Duck Bitton is part of being world champ, why would anyone want the title?

by Anonymousreply 8003/24/2013

How odd to see a Spanish figure skater. The nation has become sports mad over the last decade, so I suppose it makes sense

by Anonymousreply 8103/24/2013

Davis and White remind me of the old Russian style ice dancers - great technicians and no emotion and over acting

by Anonymousreply 8203/25/2013

The 2014 World Championships start in 2 days. Someone make a thread.

by Anonymousreply 8303/22/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!