Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

People who are addicted to fame and attention. Do you find it understandable?

I do. Especially if it doesn't go sour.

The reason I do and please don't misunderstand me, I promise I'm not being deluded, but from time to time I've posted things on, for example, youtube or photographs on flickr that have received a lot of attention and praise.

They haven't been of me, but the videos were old archive footage I had that I edited and put to music and several times they did extremely well very quickly and it was great fun to get all the praise and lots of nice messages.

Seeing them featured on websites etc...

& when the heat (for want of a better word) died down it was slightly like the sun going in. I felt sort of deflated.

So, in a tiny way, it gave me a taste of what it's like to get a lot of attention and praise in obviously a very small way.

It made me think of how very famous people must feel when they're international stars and suddenly people stop looking at them and praising them and talking about them and their work.

Some people are relieved, but some just can't stand it and I think it's understandable.

by Anonymousreply 4203/10/2013

I don't get the addiction to fame and attention, although I've observed it ofted enough. You're right that the Internet does offer ordinary people the chance for "fame" and attention, and I myself stopped doing something once I realized it was attracting a following, and that if I kept at it I would be a Big Name Fan. But that would have become a life-sucking vortex.

I wonder how much difference there really is, between a desperate D-lister like Courtney Stodden, and a no-lifer who's trying to attract ten million Facebook "friends".

by Anonymousreply 103/07/2013

Baby, remember my name!

by Anonymousreply 203/07/2013

Yes, I easily understand it. It's all too often juvenile, deluded, counterproductive and vapid. But I understand it.

by Anonymousreply 303/08/2013

You should take a video of a cute, tiny frog making squeaky noises. You can get an interview on CNN

Ut oh, too late!

by Anonymousreply 403/08/2013

Who's the woman doing the voice-over on that CNN clip, anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 503/08/2013

Jeannie Moos.

by Anonymousreply 603/08/2013

No. I think of people like Regis and Barbara Walters who cannot give up the spotlight and it makes me dislike them intensely.

by Anonymousreply 703/10/2013

I find it pathetic. People like you, OP, make me very sad that you can't find inner peace within.

by Anonymousreply 803/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 903/10/2013

I dream of one day meeting Cheryl of DL.

by Anonymousreply 1003/10/2013

Cool frog video! Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 1103/10/2013

I have a friend who is not famous, but who is addicted to attention. And if he can't get positive attention, he is happy with negative attention. But everyone *must* pay attention to him.

by Anonymousreply 1203/10/2013

OP, you're the one posting vintage videos of Los Angeles on here, aren't you.

by Anonymousreply 1303/10/2013

For me it is just about the work.

by Anonymousreply 1403/10/2013

I used to be really judge-y about it until I read this article-- by following a link on an up and coming actor's Twitter-- that touched on this issue. It said something about how artists need the audience's attention even as they are so scared of it they want to throw up.

I think it's only human that if a person does something creative, even if it's small scale like OP described, what comes with that is a desire for feedback.

I used to think what separates artists from the rest of us mere mortals, was their celebrity/fame, but now I think it's risk and exposure. It takes a certain amount of courage to put yourself out there. The risk being that the artist has no control over the audience response or its intensity. That is, for lack of a better way of putting it, a special kind of scary.

by Anonymousreply 1503/10/2013

I can understand that attention can drive a person to seek more and more, but it's all just so unseemly. In the back of my mind, I always wonder what fundamental thing such people lack, what trigger that hole inside them that wants always to be filled with attention.

The relatively few people I've known who were performers or lived in the public eye in some respect all seemed to have a healthy sense of privacy and a distinction between being on and off "stage"; they could happily take a back seat in social settings.

The desire for money is understandable, the desire for fame and attention seems a real defect.

by Anonymousreply 1603/10/2013

Most artists are narcissists. They talk a lot about "expressing" themselves. It's very important to them to share what is in their brains and for other people to "get it." Attention is their drug and they need to have a steady supply. Ironically, they aren't particularly interested in what might be lurking in anyone else's brain. That doesn't matter. What matters is what THEY think.

This quote from Madonna had me eye rolling. When she was asked if she was pleased or annoyed that people copied her fashion style, her response was (paraphrased because I can't remember it exactly):

"I'm not as interested in people wanting to look/dress like me as I am in people wanting to THINK like me."

The need for fame comes from deep feeling of insecurity and self loathing. Attention whores believe (on a sub conscious level) that if a lot of people acknowledge and affirm them they must be a worthy person.

by Anonymousreply 1703/10/2013

No, I don't understand it. To me, that kind of attention would be like a death of a thousand cuts. Excruciating.

by Anonymousreply 1803/10/2013

[quote]Most artists are narcissists. They talk a lot about "expressing" themselves. It's very important to them to share what is in their brains and for other people to "get it.

But, you're ignoring the fact that a lot of people become famous because they are natural entertainers. Natural story tellers. Natural jesters. They couldn't do anything else.

The addiction to fame and attention comes later.

I find it strange that people like Paul McCartney who one would have thought had had more than his fill of fame and attention is still trolling about, dancing in the light of fame, even though he's a spent force, artistically. Though no one's going to tell him that, they're just so impressed with his fame and he still laps it up.

Same with people like Elton John.

by Anonymousreply 1903/10/2013

Both Elton John and Paul McCartney have songbooks that will outlive us all. I'd wager that includes pretty much everyone R19 would consider an "unspent force, artistically."

If you're a person who gets off on playing music in public when you're young, you'll probably still get off on it when you're old. It's just human nature.

by Anonymousreply 2003/10/2013

It would be fun for about a week. Then there'd be nowhere to hide, every up and down in your life broadcast around the world within seconds.

Especially the unpopular ones: Casey Anthony, George Zimmerman... they'll have to hide the rest of their lives.

by Anonymousreply 2103/10/2013

I not only find it understandable, I find it extremely profitable!

by Anonymousreply 2303/10/2013

Totally understandable.

by Anonymousreply 2403/10/2013

"I find it pathetic. People like you, OP, make me very sad that you can't find inner peace within.

Only those who have not found inner peace would feel the need to tell OP that they find people like him pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 2503/10/2013

I weep for those who are unable to appreciate clever wit such as the kind that only I, Gwyneth Paltrow can provide. Or perhaps you are new to DL?

by Anonymousreply 2603/10/2013

I am like this, I am a natural story-teller and court jester. I always have been. Although I don't hide it, I practice just shutting up around people as much as humanly possible. Happily I am old enough to have stop giving a shit if anyone ever agrees with me. Such a smaller burden!

by Anonymousreply 2703/10/2013

R27, you sound just like the friend I described in R12.

by Anonymousreply 2803/10/2013

Narcissistic Personality Disorder or Borderline Personality Disorder... your choice.

by Anonymousreply 2903/10/2013

Posters are addicted to attention on DL and any number of message boards, so it would only follow that actual fame and attention would be just as addictive.

by Anonymousreply 3003/10/2013

Fundamentally, yes, for most cultures.

But I think it's gotten a little ridiculous. Not only is a MASSIVE scale of fame possible (yet depressingly impossible), we've built a social contract that insists one's value is based on how many people know about and admire his/her accomplishments--not particularly whether a person is just doing what he or she feels is right for them and/or other people, although celebrities can be marketed that way.

In my objective opinion, the above is an immature thing to aspire to, though I often feel bad about it myself. Aspiring to things that depend on approval of other people will most likely elicit chronically immature reactions and thus more emotional suffering than necessary. I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 3103/10/2013

[quote]Fundamentally, yes, for most cultures.

Oh, and to be clear, I mean I understand that people can fundamentally have ups and downs or wonder whether they're still doing a good job, or have general, mild insecurities...not that I find modern-type fame addiction understandable across the board.

by Anonymousreply 3203/10/2013

There is a difference between enjoying the satisfaction of having your creative work recognized and being addicted to fame and attention.

There are plenty of people who just do their artistic thing regardless of whether it brings them fame or not. And there are those who are famous for a while and keep doing their artistic thing after the fame inevitably fades. In my book, that's admirable.

And yet these are the people that some on DL will discuss in such pathetic terms as if they have suffered some terrible humiliation in either not achieving enough fame or in the loss of whatever fame they have achieved.

I wish we would stop conflating fame and artistic achievement. If we did, popular art would get back to being consistently good.

by Anonymousreply 3303/10/2013

Yeah, understandable. Sometimes I think all celebs should get into Buddhist meditation or something like that as soon as possible, otherwise drugs are far too easy a supporting prop.

by Anonymousreply 3403/10/2013

What, R34? Oh, dear.

I kind of disagree with your last statement, R33, depending on who you mean by "we." It's easy to sell canned trends in this climate. And also in this era, I don't know that it's even possible to have "popular art" without some of it being not necessarily good, even from any individual artist.

by Anonymousreply 3503/10/2013

[quote]And yet these are the people that some on DL will discuss in such pathetic terms as if they have suffered some terrible humiliation in either not achieving enough fame or in the loss of whatever fame they have achieved.

Trolling and pointless bitchery, for the most part. Or maybe just an inability/unwillingness to see beyond the value of being an artist other than fame itself.

by Anonymousreply 3603/10/2013

[post by racist shit-stain #3 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 3703/10/2013

Yeah, but not all of them.

by Anonymousreply 3803/10/2013

people who make art that people like should be famous.

what irritates me are the no-talent bitches and male hogs who are just famous for being famous.

and many of you watch these shows and post in massive endless deranged threads obsessing about their every move.

you enable them by wasting your sordid empty lives watching them and typing about them

by Anonymousreply 3903/10/2013

[post by racist shit-stain #3 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 4003/10/2013

Let me tell you about my gluten-free journey.

Look at this instagram of my birthday cake.

Look at my vimeo of my hot boyfriend doing cartwheels.

Nowadays the bar for "fame" is set so low because the channels for "fame" are more numerous than the ideas or drive. People get off on feeling "famous" for the most boring crap imaginable.

by Anonymousreply 4103/10/2013

Why do you care?

by Anonymousreply 4203/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!