Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

THEATRE GOSSIP #106 - AN UNLOVELY NIGHT edition

Only two months left - will Matilda be the knight in shining armor who comes in to save the musical season?

Does Victoria Clark receive taxi calls through her antennae, the way Mary Martin used to through her ear prompter?

Cast album for Cinderella coming - R&H is in this for the long haul.

Kelli preggers! How many projects does this throw into jeopardy? Is Kate Baldwin waiting in the wings for Far From Heaven, as soon as Kelli finishes the two months she'll be able to play?

Norm Lewis - straightening up now that he's getting TV work?

SMASH - Ivy for the Tony win? And then - cancelation?

Follies and Sunday in the Park declared FLOPS on network TV! But Sondheimites can rest easy - it was on NBC, so no one heard.

And it's time for the show - curtain up! Light the lights!

by Anonymousreply 60103/22/2013

Bravo, OP, one of your very best!

by Anonymousreply 103/07/2013

Norm Lewis straight???

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

by Anonymousreply 203/07/2013

After Brantley's love letter to IVy Lynn, yes, she is a shoo-in for the Tony.

Rex Reed eviscerated her, though.

Will Hit List last?

by Anonymousreply 303/07/2013

BOMBSHELL!

by Anonymousreply 403/07/2013

Bless you, OP! Kisses!

Belated kudos to R598 of last Bway thread for witty "author" of, "Keir Dullea Gone Tomorrow" - hee-hee!

With Kelly preggers, are there any parts that Megan Hilty could play?

"Smash"! SHould have been called, "Smashed" (for what's happening to it. Yes, I know; I should take it to the "Smash" thread.)

I love these Bway threads!!

by Anonymousreply 503/07/2013

No more reference to Hetero-Norm(ative) Lewis?! He's been mentioned as gay on DL quite a few times IIRC.

by Anonymousreply 603/07/2013

Megan Hilty *IS* MAME

by Anonymousreply 703/07/2013

Another fan of OP! I adore you, I absolutely adore you. Kicking up my heels as I type!

xoxo

by Anonymousreply 803/07/2013

"Hands" and "Kinky" already on tdf and tkts. The new broadway.

by Anonymousreply 903/07/2013

I love Megan but she really looks like she's packing weight on. She's the biggest and best thing on SMASH. Debra Messing needs to go away and take that faccia bruta Angelica Huston with her. I'd like to see Jack Davenport and Daniel Sunjata go down on each other. That's the only way this show's ratings will rise along with my cock.

by Anonymousreply 1003/07/2013

The folly of the KINKY BOOTS producers is thinking that screaming crowds equals a long term, profitable run. Yes, the crowd are screaming. So what? It's that screaming and the Billy Porter histrionics and that over-the-top drag show energy that ultimately alienates the more mainstream audience.

There's a reason why the very staid, original production of LA CAGE made a hefty profit and PRISCILLA never could lure middle America into the Palace.

by Anonymousreply 1103/07/2013

Watching Billy Porter feels like watching a white guy in black face perform..

by Anonymousreply 1203/07/2013

So Santino Fontana - gay or straight? Did we ever get a definitive answer to this?

by Anonymousreply 1303/07/2013

[quote]I'd like to see Jack Davenport and Daniel Sunjata go down on each other.

Ah, if it were only on Showtime, as originally planned.

by Anonymousreply 1403/07/2013

I am devastated that my dream man Norm Lewis is straight :(

by Anonymousreply 1503/07/2013

I hope once SMASH is over, there will be a really juicy tell-all on the behind the scenes behavior....not just what we got on that article that dissed Rebeck but on all the cast members, too....hope they all participate and dish.

by Anonymousreply 1603/07/2013

HELLAZAPOPPIN'!

by Anonymousreply 1703/07/2013

Make Norm Lewis gay.

by Anonymousreply 1803/07/2013

Re Kinky- no one cares about a musical where drag queens scream that they are people too. Harvey, you have overstayed your welcome on Broadway- enough drag shit already.

by Anonymousreply 1903/07/2013

How is CINDERELLA selling?

by Anonymousreply 2003/07/2013

Norm Lewis isn't straight. They even let chatter about him being gay stay up on ATC.

by Anonymousreply 2103/07/2013

Norm's as straight as I am. The fact that we had to get drunk first proves it.

by Anonymousreply 2203/07/2013

Wow, Norm Lewis straight is really surprising. I guess that is why he has such great chemistry with Audra.

by Anonymousreply 2303/07/2013

Where are all these vicious, nasty rumors of Norm being straight coming from? I can't believe someone would say something hateful like that.

Wasn't he openly bi, wait, no, I'm gay, before Porgy? Did Audra convert him?

by Anonymousreply 2403/07/2013

Agree with whoever upthread said that Megan Hilty is the best thing about SMASH.

R13 Santino Fontana, at 4:50 --

by Anonymousreply 2503/07/2013

Lady Isherwood loved Holland, doesn't love the play.

It's 2 hours? Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 2603/07/2013

ANN is terrific. Holland is a tour de force. Someone earned a nomination tonight...

by Anonymousreply 2703/08/2013

Matilda - best musical

Pippin - best revival (although Drood deserves it)

You're welcome. :)

by Anonymousreply 2803/08/2013

So, as Ms. DeLaria has posted on her FB page - she's playing Vera Charles, not Gooch, in the Andrea McArdle (or "McArdel" as she spells it) MAME.

I can't imagine Lea DeLaria being happy only having "The Man in the Moon" and the duet of "Bosom Buddies" to sing.

Well of course, I can't imagine her in the role, period, but that's another story.

by Anonymousreply 2903/08/2013

WEHT Malcolm Gets? Saw a pic of him recently and wondered why he hasn't had more of a career on the New York stage. Very talented and has name recognition from being on that horrid sitcom for so many years. Bitch to work with? Didn't kiss up to the right people? Not enough ambition? What?

by Anonymousreply 3003/08/2013

That is a good question about Malcolm. I've known him for 20 years since our Yale School of Drama days. He's a sweetie, very smart and well-read, very talented in both musicals and straight plays, and I can't imagine why he doesn't work more in the NY theater.

I can believe he may have gotten fed up with LA and TV after the sitcom and not pursued more of those venues, but he was always a theater person at heart.

I wonder if he just got lazy and still has enough $$ from Caroline not to work?

by Anonymousreply 3103/08/2013

Thank you r27 but please remember to spell my name correctly. Are you in Amsterdam? Lovely place. Visit the Anne Frank house. I based some of my Oscar winning work as Fantine on the suffering of the Frank family.

by Anonymousreply 3203/08/2013

Yeah, R28, I was surprised that Reidel threw in a gratuitous predic today of Drood winning Revival -- who is he doing favors for with that bit of last-minute shilling?

by Anonymousreply 3303/08/2013

[quote] Robert Wuhl, creator of the funny HBO series “Arli$$,” has written a sharp satire about the literary world called “Hit Lit.” It’s running through March 17 at the Queens Theatre in Flushing.

oh my ...Queens? Flushing? Who paid Riedel for that one?!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3403/08/2013

The words "funny" and "Arli$$" should never appear in the same sentence.

by Anonymousreply 3503/08/2013

Darren Aronofsky!

by Anonymousreply 3703/08/2013

Riedel said it's the front runner, which would probably be the case if the Tonys were happening now. I didn't get the love for it - I found it tough to sit through and deficient in almost every way from the original production. But I believe Riedel's argument would be that between Annie, Cinderella and Drood, it got the best set of reviews, if it never caught on at the box office, as Annie and Cinderella have. But Drood will be gone as of this weekend, and Pippin is well poised to open at the end of the season and take Best Revival, if the ART/Cambridge reception holds true here. Still - the only Tony that matters is Best Musical; the Best Revival Tony bolsters the box office for about three weeks in June and then doesn't do anything.

by Anonymousreply 3803/08/2013

Haven't heard anything further in a long time, so I'm assuming the Knightley, Burstyn, et. al. "Children's Hour" will not be seen on Broadway. Shame - the play deserves a good revival.

by Anonymousreply 3903/08/2013

speaking of that Children's Hour that Ian Rickson directed on the West End coming to Broadway [seems unlikely at this point] but he also directed a production of Betrayal with Kristin Scott Thomas was also talked about for Broadway but I guess with the Mike Nichols one it is probably out.

Btw, a friend works at the music box and told me that the cast of Jerusalem and several cast members from The Children's hour played a game of volley ball before a Jerusalem performance. Elizabeth Moss and Kira Knightly and Carol Kane among them. They were visiting NYC and both productions were directed by Ian Rickson.

I guess the Jerusalem cast did this before every performance. Sounds exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 4003/08/2013

Based on the reviews and vibe from Boston, I don't think there's any doubt that Pippin has the lock on the Best Revival Tony, regardless of where Cinderella lands.

There will be so many family-friendly shows playing on Broadway by the spring/summer, it will be interesting to see which ones rise to the top.

Orphans will have not have much competition for the adult crowds if it's any good at all.

by Anonymousreply 4103/08/2013

"WEHT Malcolm Gets? Saw a pic of him recently and wondered why he hasn't had more of a career on the New York stage."

Bad choices.

by Anonymousreply 4203/08/2013

WTF happened to Hunter Ryan Herdlicka's face?

by Anonymousreply 4303/08/2013

[quote]So, as Ms. DeLaria has posted on her FB page - she's playing Vera Charles

This is the worst casting I could imagine, short of resurrecting W.C. Fields.

by Anonymousreply 4403/08/2013

Malcolm very talented actor/singer--got pidgeon holed into only playing gay characters

by Anonymousreply 4503/08/2013

Malcolm Gets was recently in the stunning revival #8 of 'merrily we roll along'. It failed to roll along any farther than the midwest and it never made it close to new york.

by Anonymousreply 4703/08/2013

Kathleen Chalfant

Who's her gf?

by Anonymousreply 4803/08/2013

[quote] Kathleen Chalfant

[quote] Who's her gf?

Let it die.

by Anonymousreply 4903/08/2013

Why are you guys 'protecting' Kathleen?

by Anonymousreply 5003/08/2013

how is Cory Michael Smith's COCK in Breakfast at Tiffany's? He's a cutie..

by Anonymousreply 5103/08/2013

Santino is gay.

by Anonymousreply 5203/08/2013

Having seen BAT the other day, I would have thought Cory had starred in BALLS. They were hangin' mighty low!

by Anonymousreply 5303/08/2013

No, No Chita is a truoper she rarely misses shows unless she has too. Maryann

by Anonymousreply 5403/08/2013

R46 OK, so the one on the left is Yertle the Turtle. Who's on the right?

by Anonymousreply 5503/08/2013

Beloved NY theater gays - and I apologize if this should be in the "Smash" thread OR has been asked/answered there. I know "Smash" is problematic, especially this season, but I find myself VERY taken by this Andy Mentius(sp?) He's cute, can act - is he a singer/dancer; done Bway shows? (yes, I could look him up, sigh - and running to eat right now, sorry.)

I would TOTALLY like to see him in other stuff. SOrry for the ignorance; haven't been in NYC since 1997, sigh.

TIA.

by Anonymousreply 5603/08/2013

R40, are you Frank DiLella? It's "in the West End," not "on the West End." And you're welcome.

Riedel is being horribly hypocritical by not calling out Smash for the sadly disappointing mess that it is.

by Anonymousreply 5803/08/2013

Mike Nichols is directing Betrayal...with whom?

by Anonymousreply 5903/08/2013

There is no world in which Santino Fontana is straight. He's so flaming he makes Colin Hanlon look masculine in that clip, and that's a hard thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 6003/08/2013

what clip r60?

by Anonymousreply 6103/08/2013

R61, CHECK OUR THE LINK POSTED BY R25

by Anonymousreply 6203/08/2013

I'm bored.

by Anonymousreply 6303/08/2013

[quote]This is the worst casting I could imagine, short of resurrecting W.C. Fields.

Oh shut the fuck up. Does every show have to be an exact replica of the original? Does every actor have to sound exactly like the original soundtrack (insert theater queen exploding head sound effect) ha I mean, cast album? Bea Arthur never played Dainty June.

by Anonymousreply 6403/08/2013

No r64, but does Lea Delaria approximate a vain and glamourous Broadway star of the 1920's? Isn't that the role?

by Anonymousreply 6503/08/2013

[quote]Malcolm very talented actor/singer--got pidgeon holed into only playing gay characters.

Maybe this is true and it hurt his career, but playing a succession of gay roles never seemed to hurt Stephen Spinella, John Benjamin Hickey, Stephen Bogardus, Peter Bartlett or, yes, Nathan Lane, all of whom have worked consistently in NYC.

But like they say, it's often the exception that proves the rule.

by Anonymousreply 6603/09/2013

Gets has spent a lot of time lately working in the regions with John Doyle: besides that MERRILY that never came in from Cincinnati, he did that Rodgers & Hart show that Doyle directed first at Williamstown and then at Princeton - with Donna McKechnie playing the saxophone (seriously!).

I'm surprised Doyle couldn't find a place for Malcolm in PASSION - there are all those soldiers. Oh wait, Malcolm only does the "Doyle has actors play instruments" shows (Malcolm is an accomplished classical pianist) - PASSION isn't one of those....

by Anonymousreply 6703/09/2013

I think Gets got type cast as a musical theatre actor and not just an actor...I think that is why some of the guys r66 mentions had better careers and did films and TV and stuff.

by Anonymousreply 6803/09/2013

Malcolm was in the same class at Yale as Liev Schreiber. He is a serious actor!

by Anonymousreply 6903/09/2013

He's living off CAROLINE IN THE CITY money. He can pick and choice projects like me.

by Anonymousreply 7003/09/2013

R56- Andy graduated from University of Michigan. Yes, he does musicals. I saw him play Huck Finn in BIG RIVER at Music Theatre of Wichita. Had beautiful feets as I recall. He was one of the leads (dyed his hair platnium blonde) for the SPRING AWAKENING tour. And he was in CARRIE off Broadway last year.

by Anonymousreply 7103/09/2013

Any news on the MIA Steve Kazee?

by Anonymousreply 7203/09/2013

over at Broadwayworld.com there is a great reviewer-AFTER EIGHT who has just written a great summation on why we get so angry and trash bad shows. His feelings about the greats are great as well. Love him!

by Anonymousreply 7303/09/2013

Hey, Honk Kong wants us to cover CHINGLISH, so I'm there.

And who has worse hair, me or David Henry Hwang?

by Anonymousreply 7403/09/2013

Ladies and Gentleladies

May I present the FIRST lady of the American Theatre......

Lea Delaria!

by Anonymousreply 7503/09/2013

Lea is glaringly wrong but would be fun to watch on a hot summer night. McArdle cant act and isnt funny in the least, which just seems boring

by Anonymousreply 7603/09/2013

Think of Vera Charles as based on Marie Dressler instead of Tallulah Bankhead and Lea doesn't seem so far-fetched.

by Anonymousreply 7703/09/2013

Does Motown begin previews this week? They've been teching and rewriting it for months now.

by Anonymousreply 7803/09/2013

In tonight's performance, the role of "The Saxaphone" will be played by Donna McKechnie.

by Anonymousreply 7903/09/2013

Ha

by Anonymousreply 8003/09/2013

I think Lea is an inspired choice. She can act. She can sing. I would see her.

I think Andrea would make a great Mame. It's not that hard a role acting wise. Madcap! Madcap!

by Anonymousreply 8203/09/2013

McArdle has a HUGE chip on her shoulder which she needs to get over.

by Anonymousreply 8303/09/2013

R36-

Rumour out there the third in "Betrayal" will be Hank Azaria. Maybe they'll bill him as Henry for this one.

by Anonymousreply 8403/09/2013

Does anyone know what's really going on with Steve Kazee? I don't believe the "vocal rest" story, unless vocal rest stops you from using Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 8503/09/2013

re Kazee- are you not allowed to use twitter if youre in a mental institution or rehab?

by Anonymousreply 8603/09/2013

Jordan Roth was at THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD tonight - he is much better looking in person.

That being said, even though Drood - which was terrific, even better than the last time I saw it, had more than a few empty seats on the side and in the back. It closes tomorrow afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 8703/10/2013

Shockingly, McArdle turns 50 later this year.

by Anonymousreply 8803/10/2013

I am reading this threas, and looked at those Cinderella opening night arrival photos, and I have some comments...

Hunter Ryan Herdlicka! Oy. I saw him on Theater Talk with his bestest bestest new friend (over 85), Elaine Stritch, then I saw him at the Cinderella opening night party in person, and I thought "OHMYGAWD! That is the most intense case of Gay Face sine "Ed Bergman-You Are the Light", and that's saying something!

CheyAnne Jackson (note the hyperlink goes to Anne Jackson-hilarious) has the most suspicious hairline I've seen lately. Something has been tampered with. I see Monty three times a week for years walking our dogs, but I never get a hello. They're a tad snooty.

Hunter Ryan Herdlicka! Oy. I saw him on Theater Talk with his bestest bestest new friend (over 85), Elaine Stritch, then I saw him at the Cinderella opening night party in person, and I thought "OHMYGAWD! That is the most intense case of Gay Face sine "Ed Bergman-You Are the Light", and that's saying something! He must be worshipful of Elaine, and able to keep a secret about her occasional drink.

CheyAnne Jackson (note the hyperlink goes to Anne Jackson-hilarious) has the most suspicious hairline I've seen lately. Something has been tampered with. I see Monty three times a week for years walking our dogs, but I never get a hello. They're a tad snooty.

Malcolm Gets' career was hurt by him coming out, FACE THE FACTS! It hurts LOTS Of actors' careers. That list someone wrote, Stephen Spinella, Stephen Bogardus, John Benjamin Hickey and Peter Bartlett? I bet three out of four of those guys don't regularly qualify for the Equity Health Insurance! I mean, they work, but sporadically , and theater pays shit! Are you kidding me? What do you think they make as stage actors a year? Not much.

Oh, and Malcolm Gets does NOT get any big money from "Caroline in the City", and hasn't for years, That ended some years ago. Have you seen it syndicated in the last five years? Ten years? I haven't. I know for a fact he got one big check and his accountant told him, "That's the end" years ago, more than a few. He's talented, but he's also earnest, and dull. That never helps.

I want Santino Fontana to be my boyfriend. He's so talented and oddly handsome. I love him.

I have to say, although Douglas Carter Beane is always smiling and seems quite happy, he never seems funny.....at all....ever. He's about as witty as that tipsy gay middle aged guy at the end of the bar in Key west who's making snappy comments about people as they stroll by. All he's missing is the caftan with the colorful parrots on it. How dies he continue to work? He's so desperate to be "hip, young and sassy" that it hurts. The last show of his I saw, a failed workshop of a terrible "musical", had a Lillian Gish joke in it! That's so zeitgeist-y! Ugh, he has a son named "Cooper". Gag. Oh, and he renamed the Ann Harada Step-Sister in Cinderella "Gabrielle" after his own Asian daughter! Well, that's actually sweet.

by Anonymousreply 8903/10/2013

FirstNightFanny, I enjoy your posts and have for a long time. So please solve the mystery, if you can. Is Norm Lewis really straight, or is he bi?

by Anonymousreply 9003/10/2013

he says he is straight....but I suspect he is on the downlow

by Anonymousreply 9103/10/2013

Fanny, you're drunk again. Stephen Bogardus is straight, totally. And married (to a woman.)

And Santino Fontana wouldn't touch you with his ten foot pole.

by Anonymousreply 9203/10/2013

Will the last person on this thread to die please turn out the lights?

by Anonymousreply 9303/10/2013

A black friend of mine is always eager to dish on who's gay and who isn't and knows a lot of actors. Norm Lewis is one of his best friends and he says Norm is straight.

by Anonymousreply 9403/10/2013

R94 can you ask your friend about Kathleen Chalfant.

by Anonymousreply 9503/10/2013

Bootleg videos of Matilda and Rodgers + Hammerstein's Cinderella are both out now according to the broadway collectors boards.

When did Rodgers and Hammerstein or, Rodgers & Hammerstein, become Rodgers + Hammerstein?

by Anonymousreply 9603/10/2013

Was Douglas Sills' career also harmed by being perceieved as gay? What about Christopher Sieber, another casualty?

These are all very talented men!

by Anonymousreply 9703/10/2013

I know Kathleen Chalfant and her husband and they're both straight.

by Anonymousreply 9803/10/2013

Kathleen is also about 70 so does it really matter at this point?

by Anonymousreply 9903/10/2013

Broadway will finally get interesting again in a few weeks with Bette's high profiled return and Motown The Musical's lavish opening.

Bette should have opened earlier. Will she still be qualified for this years Tony awards? Other than Holland Taylor, I can't think of another person who would be seriously considered to win the award.

by Anonymousreply 10003/10/2013

Drood opened to early. If it had opened in February it would still be running come Tony time and stand a better shot.

And to the "Kinky Boots" is on TDF person up thread, I saw Jersey Boys and Mamma Mia on TDF when they were in previews so I think they're doing fine.

by Anonymousreply 10103/10/2013

Don't rule out Fiona Shaw. Or Scarlett, as shitty as she was. Sigourney won't even be nominated. Is Alan Cumming eligible?

by Anonymousreply 10203/10/2013

The entire ONCE company is pulling for Steve Kazee. Thoughts and prayers go out to him during this trying time.

by Anonymousreply 10303/10/2013

R100, how about:

Laurie Metcalf

Amy Morton

Holland Taylor

maybe Bette Midler

Debra Winger, just to encourage her

Jessica Chastain?

Cherry Jones?

by Anonymousreply 10403/10/2013

R104 -

1. Talk is that GLASS MENAG will only come to NYC in the fall

2. Debra Winger, nor anything Anarchist-related is eligible as it did not stay open long enough to get Tony voters there

- everyone else on your list is a contender, though.

by Anonymousreply 10503/10/2013

Kristine Nielsen is great in the Durang play - but I imagine she would be up for featured actress - and could win.

by Anonymousreply 10603/10/2013

For Best Actress it will be Laurie v Holland with sentiment going for Holland (Passion project about an iconic liberal politician) Both performances are great and could not be more different.

If Glass Menagerie comes in the Fall look for John Tiffany to get another Tony. All the actors are wonderful, but it's the direction that makes it unforgettable.

by Anonymousreply 10703/10/2013

Didn't there used to be a separate category for one-person shows, like Elaine Stritch's and Billy Crystal's? Would "Ann" qualify there?

by Anonymousreply 10803/10/2013

[quote]Fanny, you're drunk again. Stephen Bogardus is straight, totally. And married (to a woman.)

I didn't put him on the "Gay List", I cut and pasted it from an earlier post. I have no idea about him one way or the other. I'm just saying, being out and proud does seem to curtail lots of careers, but being dull hurts more, I think.

The embarrassing typos were ALL mine though, sorry about that. I wasn't drunk, I was just too lazy to proofread, which was lame.

by Anonymousreply 10903/10/2013

Pulling for Steve for what?

by Anonymousreply 11003/10/2013

Good Godd, Diana Paulus in some interview on another website said she listened to the Pippin soundtrack over and over. SOUNDTRACK!? Jesus, is it to much to ask an adult woman who woks in the professional theater to know the difference between a soundtrack and an OCR!!

by Anonymousreply 11103/10/2013

Laurie Metcalf is going to beat all those bitches.

by Anonymousreply 11203/10/2013

R110 30 day program

by Anonymousreply 11303/10/2013

From now on, you bitches better refer to him as Steve "Hello, is this Bellevue?" Kazee!

by Anonymousreply 11403/10/2013

The weird thing about the possibility of Kazee being in rehab is: had he been missing performances at all before this? I don't remember hearing reports of absences. And I would think that a drug or alcohol problem serious enough to send somebody into a 30-day program would have been interfering with the addict's functioning before such a drastic step was taken.

But maybe I'm being naïve about the way addiction works, and maybe it is perfectly possible to show up and perform the lead in a musical eight times a week while still having the substance abuse be fucking up your life.

by Anonymousreply 11503/10/2013

Kazee should watch Patty Duke's inimitable performance as Neely O'Hara in Valley Of The Dolls. That should straighten him out.

by Anonymousreply 11603/10/2013

Kazee's most recent tweets - which ended Feb. 14 - are all very upbeat and positive and perky. (And also a warning to his gay friends in Queens about some killer there).

It does seem weird that he would suddenly be in rehab.

He had a really bad time dealing with his mother's death last year, which happened while Once was being put together - maybe, when the anniversary hit, he went on a massive bender?

by Anonymousreply 11703/10/2013

I actually think the problem with Kazee is more about mental health than drugs. The boy's nuts.

by Anonymousreply 11803/10/2013

What R118 said. Correct.

by Anonymousreply 11903/10/2013

"I actually think the problem with Kazee is more about mental health than drugs. The boy's nuts."

Tell us more, with specific stories please, r118!

by Anonymousreply 12003/10/2013

So maybe it's just your basic nervous breakdown.

by Anonymousreply 12103/10/2013

Link to pictures of Steve Kazee's nuts, please.

by Anonymousreply 12203/10/2013

Any pics of Steve's feets?

by Anonymousreply 12303/10/2013

Didn't his mother's death coupled with the pressure of opening on Broadway cause Kazee to become somewhat unhinged? And possibly self-destructive or even suicidal?

by Anonymousreply 12403/10/2013

[quote]Didn't there used to be a separate category for one-person shows, like Elaine Stritch's and Billy Crystal's? Would "Ann" qualify there?

That was for shows where people played themselves....Ann is considered a play since she is playing Ann Richards.

by Anonymousreply 12503/10/2013

A friend asks if Steve has sexuality issues that he was repressing and are now coming to the forefront in his breakdown - thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 12603/10/2013

well he did date fat girl Megan Hilty......when the boy is prettier than the girl I usually suspect gay issues.

by Anonymousreply 12703/10/2013

Will any of those Best Actress nominee possibilities be in plays that are still running by Tony time?

I would personally count on Fiona Shaw for the win. Tony loves high-toned Brits.

by Anonymousreply 12803/10/2013

Don't forget Cicely Tyson in The Trip to Bountiful. It's a role that tends to win awards for women of a certain age.

by Anonymousreply 12903/10/2013

r129 Does anyone really give a crap about that play? I love Ms. Tyson but that play is a bore.

by Anonymousreply 13003/10/2013

Is it confirmed he is in rehab? Isn't the ONCE cast performing on 54 Below soon?

by Anonymousreply 13303/10/2013

r128 Sigourney Weaver, Holland Taylor

by Anonymousreply 13403/10/2013

The Steve Kazee gossip is ghoulish goulash.

by Anonymousreply 13503/10/2013

All right, here's the scoop: Steve has given birth. Pictures of father and child will be in People Magazine's April 14th issue.

by Anonymousreply 13603/10/2013

Kazee ain't got much talent; so who cares?

by Anonymousreply 13703/10/2013

R132 - WTF? Now are now hold on a minute - Steve Kazee has 7,595 TWEETS as of February 14, 2013

When did he have time to perform?

Anyway so he DID promote himself and everything else on TWITTER (including gay causes, to his credit)

by Anonymousreply 13803/10/2013

Where's the Times review for Hit the Wall?

by Anonymousreply 13903/11/2013

For all of you who are obsessed with Steve Kazee. Here he is waking up from a good night's sleep...

by Anonymousreply 14003/11/2013

Sorry R105, but THE ANARCHIST and both its stars, LuPone and Winger, were deemed Tony-eligible by the nominating committee; thus far this season only THE PERFORMERS has been disqualified (sorry Cheyenne - your body deserves an award).

Bette, Alan Cumming, Fiona will all be eligible, as is Holland Taylor, because they are all in PLAYS.

As for the Solo Performance Tony that went to people like Stritch, Billy Crystal and Dame Edna, the award was actually for "Special Event" and it went to solo acts where people played themselves, not a character in a play. It was in existence for less than 10 years, and discontinued about three years ago.

by Anonymousreply 14103/11/2013

r132, you're on the wrong board.

by Anonymousreply 14203/11/2013

Morgan James' first preview in Motown was horrid!

by Anonymousreply 14303/11/2013

More Motown details

by Anonymousreply 14403/11/2013

If ANN were running at The Cort it mght have a chance of lasting until the Tonys, but not at the cavernous Beaumont.

You're all nuts if you can't see Fiona Shaw (as Mary, mother of Jesus!) will win, even now, weeks before a public performance.

by Anonymousreply 14503/11/2013

They have wonderful beds at Belleview.

by Anonymousreply 14603/11/2013

The most obvious signifier of Kazee's craziness is his believing that Lea Delaria is a fine choice for any role in Mame short of the police wagon.

You know it's true, so stop with your bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 14703/11/2013

Kazee having to work with that stalker woman is enough reason to drive anyone to solitary confinement.

by Anonymousreply 14803/11/2013

the music from Once is dreadful 'and I love her so, wouldn't trade her for gold." Just puke inducing!

by Anonymousreply 14903/11/2013

But, James B, She's "a very sexy baby!"

by Anonymousreply 15003/11/2013

"puke inducing?" - classy.

by Anonymousreply 15103/11/2013

Norm Lewis is not straight.

Being out has not hurt Jonathan Groff, Matt Bomer or Zachery Quinton who have worked more since coming out. And Groff and Bomer usually play straight roles. It's that Gets is somewhere between a character actor and leading man. I think he seeks out the leading roles but they probably go to more conventionally good looking guys or guys with bigger voices in musicals.

by Anonymousreply 15203/11/2013

Lea DeLaria for Mrs Higgins in the My Fair Lady revival!

by Anonymousreply 15303/11/2013

Is Kazee in rehab for substance or sex addiction?

by Anonymousreply 15403/11/2013

I have no knowledge of what's really going on with Steve Kazee, but I do believe he missed a number of performances before his current absence for "vocal rest."

by Anonymousreply 15503/11/2013

[quote] I would personally count on Fiona Shaw for the win. Tony loves high-toned Brits.

Fiona Shaw is Irish.

by Anonymousreply 15603/11/2013

Kazee's West End counterpart has also been complaining about vocal problems. It can't be a hard sing, surely?

by Anonymousreply 15703/11/2013

Tony loves the Irish, too.

by Anonymousreply 15803/11/2013

I think it's Holland's to lose - and yes - I know Laurie Metcalfe is REMARKABLE in her play.

by Anonymousreply 15903/11/2013

I want a musical of last night's BOB'S BURGERS.

They'll say, "Aw Topsy"/At my autopsy...

Better than anything in HANDS ON A HARDBODY.

by Anonymousreply 16003/11/2013

CBS Sunday Morning did a whole bit yesterday about Hands on a Hardbody and Trey Anastasio.

Does he do the homosex?

by Anonymousreply 16203/11/2013

Who cares? He's fugly, not interesting, and his music is crap.

by Anonymousreply 16303/11/2013

Betty Lynn is packing her bags earlier...

by Anonymousreply 16403/11/2013

CBS Sunday Morning called Phish's music "jam music" and played some, it sounded awful, like the Grateful Dead. Proves if you take enough psychedelics, anything sounds good.

by Anonymousreply 16503/11/2013

Saw Menagerie on Sunday and it was one of those magical theatre experiences where everything worked. Performances (esp the woman who played Laura), staging, lighting and sound meshed seamlessly. The production reminded me of the recent Golden Boy where something that could in the wrong hands be an anachronistic disaster is instead given a perfect and unforgettable life. On a side note: there seemed to be alot of NYers there judging from overheard conversations.

by Anonymousreply 16603/11/2013

So Honeymoon in Vegas will open Paper Mill's season on its way to Broadway next fall.

What do you all think? What are the reports from the various earlier workshops?

by Anonymousreply 16703/11/2013

Will SJParker recreate her film role?

Without names, there will be no box office for that show on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 16803/11/2013

Is Betty Lynn quitting, or fired?

by Anonymousreply 16903/11/2013

r168...Tony Danza is the "star"

by Anonymousreply 17003/11/2013

Dear World cancelled its final two weeks.

by Anonymousreply 17103/11/2013

it wasnt about coming out--ie Malcolm Gets -it was about only playing gay roles--and then only getting offered gay roles, which becomes limiting

by Anonymousreply 17303/11/2013

Why r171?

by Anonymousreply 17403/11/2013

Zach Quinto has been starring for the past two seasons on American Horror Story which is an audience and critical hit, and just received rapturous reviews for Glass Menagerie with Cherry Jones which will be moving to Broadway in the fall. I'm not a fan, but he is having an exceptional career by any standard.

by Anonymousreply 17503/11/2013

and he gets to blow Jonathan Groff!!!

by Anonymousreply 17603/11/2013

Before all this, Steve Kazee LIVED on the Internet, tweeting constantly. He posted a picture of himself ON THE TOILET for God's sake (during Tony voting time, no less). Maybe he wants privacy now, but he sure didn't seem to care about it before.

by Anonymousreply 17703/11/2013

And Groff has, I think, his own SATC-like series (only with gay men) coming up on HBO.

by Anonymousreply 17803/11/2013

Mixed reviews and no business for Batty Betty means closing the limited run 2 weeks early.

Neither she nor the show (getting its belated UK premiere) have a fan base in London.

Sorry, ducks!

by Anonymousreply 17903/12/2013

"Having seen BAT the other day, I would have thought Cory had starred in BALLS. They were hangin' mighty low!"

r53, where is the best place to sit for the best view of Cory's pendulous, swinging ballmeat? House left? House right? Center?

by Anonymousreply 18003/12/2013

Is Cory Michael Smith straight or gay?

by Anonymousreply 18103/12/2013

Did you see COCK or THE WHALE, R181?

Cory is as gay as the day (and his dick) is long.

by Anonymousreply 18203/12/2013

Groff has done much tv, film and stage work since coming out and just because you don't know him don't make your argument correct. As someone else wrote Quinto has three high profile straight roles this year. Bomer had success playing both his tv series, Glee and Magic Mike.

by Anonymousreply 18303/12/2013

[quote]CBS Sunday Morning called Phish's music "jam music" and played some, it sounded awful

Good christ, they've been around for ages. We're really overrun by grandmas lately, and I say that as a man in his 40s.

by Anonymousreply 18403/12/2013

And that's exactly what their music sounded like, grandma music. For hippies in their 60s & 70s, boring straight music!

by Anonymousreply 18503/12/2013

I saw "Hard Body" last night. My friend's summary was "'Chorus Line' meets 'Swamp People'".

by Anonymousreply 18603/12/2013

Does a different person win the truck every night? That could be an interesting twist.

by Anonymousreply 18703/12/2013

Short of giving a new truck to an audience member every night, they have no hope of running.

by Anonymousreply 18803/12/2013

Hands on a Hardbody did $170k for 8 performances last week- 16% of the gross- Been a long time since a new musical did that poorly in previews- word of mouth clearly isn't happening for the hard body. They may have to sell the car to make ends meet.

by Anonymousreply 18903/12/2013

[quote]Hands on a Hardbody did $170k for 8 performances last week- 16% of the gross- Been a long time since a new musical did that poorly in previews

Ahem.

by Anonymousreply 19003/12/2013

THIRTEEN!

DOONESBURY!

THE GOODBYE GIRL!

by Anonymousreply 19103/12/2013

I hear they've cut 15 minutes and a lot of narration from Breakfast at Tiffany's. Is there a chance they'll make it good enough for a limited run?

by Anonymousreply 19203/12/2013

Steve Kazee = Silence = Rehab

by Anonymousreply 19303/12/2013

Hard Body will be gone by April 1

by Anonymousreply 19403/12/2013

So R179, will the revival of Dear World be presented in the US, where Betty has a fan base?

by Anonymousreply 19503/12/2013

[quote]"'Chorus Line' meets 'Swamp People'"

LOL! That's the show's obit right there.

by Anonymousreply 19603/12/2013

I wish they'd revive with good production values and all-star casts, "Boys in the Band", and "The Killing of Sister George."

by Anonymousreply 19703/12/2013

Speaking of Sister George, Beryl Reid seemed to have had a sideline doing studio cast albums (Beryl Reid IS Mame; Beryl Reid in Hello, Dolly etc.) Could she sing well?

by Anonymousreply 19803/12/2013

HEAVEN ON EARTH!

by Anonymousreply 19903/12/2013

Liza Minnelli's birthday!

by Anonymousreply 20003/12/2013

Anyone seen A GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE TO LOVE&DEATH, which is coming to Broadway later this year?

by Anonymousreply 20103/12/2013

Seeing "A Gentleman's Guide..." April 6. I'll let you know how it is.

by Anonymousreply 20203/12/2013

Thanks. Are you in San Diego?

by Anonymousreply 20303/12/2013

[quote]will the revival of Dear World be presented in the US, where Betty has a fan base

Her fan base is enough to fill two nights at New World Stages Theatre 5. Okay, maybe three - TOPS.

by Anonymousreply 20403/12/2013

Dear World really wasn't that good. The added songs were average. It's a show that would work as a concert maybe, or a new recording of the score. Otherwise it's so twee that adding songs just hurts it.

by Anonymousreply 20503/12/2013

Someone jokingly suggested a 70,Girls,70 revival on the Liza birthday thread.

Thoughts?

*clicks pen*

by Anonymousreply 20603/12/2013

Los Angeles, going down to see it the week of 4/5/13

by Anonymousreply 20703/12/2013

WHOM will you be going down on, to see WHAT, r207? If there's someone you can blow to get free tickets, I'd like to know.

by Anonymousreply 20803/12/2013

Here's a revival of Dear World that could sell - Patti LuPone as Aurelia, Bernadette Peters as Gabrielle (singing about her dog, Dickie - it's perf), and Liza Minnelli as Constance.

by Anonymousreply 20903/12/2013

How many people on this list can say that they actually saw the original Broadway production of 70 GIRLS 70 (besides me)?

I still remember Lillian Heyman breaking into a bank vault by throwing her ample girth against the vault door.

And Hans Conreid, who was terrific, but you couldn't hear him. Yes, they all wore body mikes, but back then, it was a hit or miss technology.

The audience loved the show - you can't go wrong with funny seniors. Wonder if Betty White and her crew are up for a revival?

by Anonymousreply 21003/12/2013

R210 Didn't see the original although I was in NY on a college theatre trip. Several in our group did see the show. The following summer Starlight Theatre here in Kansas City did a production as part of their summer season. Nancy Andrews (LITTLE ME) played the Natwick role.

by Anonymousreply 21103/12/2013

Oh dear myself!

"Your" not "You're" @ R196

by Anonymousreply 21203/12/2013

Mixed reviews on Hit The Wall - but no Times review...yet everything else that opened off-broadway has had one this week. Can producers get reviews to be not published if they know they won't be positive?

by Anonymousreply 21303/12/2013

R110, there are lots of funny stories of folks who visited NYC and chose one show to see over another and lived to regret it. My BF came on a college trip and chose to see the show that had won the Tony that year for Best Musical over some other show that he had never heard of. So yes, he saw TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA instead of FOLLIES.

The top floor of our home has a tribute wall to FOLLIES, maintained by guess who.

by Anonymousreply 21403/12/2013

Billy Boy, thank you for the reminiscence about 70 Girls 70. I have a friend who's madly in love with Hans Conried who's going to love it.

by Anonymousreply 21503/12/2013

It wouldn't sell a long run, but Christine Ebersole as Aurelia, Judy Kaye as Constance, and Victoria Mallory as Gabrielle would be great for Encores!.

by Anonymousreply 21603/12/2013

LOL Billy Boy at R214! As many times I have gone to NY, there have been other good shows missed by choosing something else. I did see FOLLIES and VERONA when I was in college so I didn't make the same mistake. Although I knew who Liza was, I really wasn't familiar with her as a performer when she was in Flora. It wasn't until later that year at Christmas that I saw THE DANGEROUS CHRISTMAS OF RED RIDING HOOD and I took notice. I got what she had.. raw talent. I started buying her Capitol albums and immediately became a fan. Saw her for the first time in concert in 1972.

by Anonymousreply 21703/12/2013

r184, if you're so goddamn young why are you wasting time hanging out on an internet forum? Shouldn't you be out fucking?

by Anonymousreply 21803/12/2013

I can top you all!

When I was a kid (c. 1959) my aunt and uncle took my parents to see West Side Story but my uncle (who'd already seen WSS) took me to the Roxy Music Hall to see the new film The 7th Voyage of Sinbad the Sailor.

I was totally enthralled with not only Kerwin Matthews as Sinbad, Kathryn (Mrs. Bing) Crosby as the damsel in distress (in harem pants!) but also the live stage show, which preceded the movie.

I didn't really know what I'd missed out on until the film of WSS came out a few years later and me and all my friends became obsessed with it.

by Anonymousreply 21903/12/2013

R146/Donna: has your mental situation prevented you from spelling Bellevue correctly? (tee-hee.)

Re Dear WOrld: Dear God, I wonder how producers/press agents, etc., "spin" a show that was only a limited run to BEGIN with, still closing early???(the embarrassment, oy...is it possible to feel sorry for Betty BUckley???)

TO the poster upthread mentioning Patti, Bernadette and Liza for "Dear World": Wow. Just wow! That is a great idea!!!

Finally: would love anyone's opinion on shows chosen to see:

In 1979 (yes, I'm old), I was visiting NYC froM SF; had tix to "Barnum"; chose INSTEAD to see "Whorehouse" for the 2nd time; so in love with it was I from seeing it on the road earlier in the Fall of 1979.

Did I screw up????? TIA.

by Anonymousreply 22003/12/2013

Michael Murray loves THE FLICK:

What emerges instead is one of the richest and most evocative and engrossing dissections of humanity to hit Off-Broadway in ages.

by Anonymousreply 22103/12/2013

And Isherwood, as predicted LOVES it:

Love, friendship and the daily grind all take on a distinctly sticky quality in “The Flick,” the moving, beautifully acted and challengingly long new play by Annie Baker that opened on Tuesday night at Playwrights Horizons in Manhattan. Ms. Baker, one of the freshest and most talented dramatists to emerge Off Broadway in the past decade, writes with tenderness and keen insight about the way people make messes of their lives — and the lives of people they care about — and then sink into benumbed impotence, hard pressed to see any way of cleaning things up.

by Anonymousreply 22203/12/2013

Barnum was a great production of a so-so show and Jim Dale was and still is great.

Whorehouse was a good production of a good show- so it's a toss-up. Depends on your taste.

I saw both twice, but have better memories of Sweeney, Evita, even Lucie in They're Playing Our Song from those seasons.

by Anonymousreply 22303/12/2013

[quote]Donna: has your mental situation prevented you from spelling Bellevue correctly? (tee-hee.)

Yes R220. It's insane and yes I did have a momentarily lapse. Think of it as my mlop moment.

by Anonymousreply 22403/12/2013

R197 - Kathleen Turner just directed and starred in a revisal of SISTER GEORGE at the Long Wharf, with the hope that it would then come to Broadway.

Clearly the word of mouth wasn't good, as there's been no talk of a move since the opening.

They BOMBED in New Haven.

by Anonymousreply 22503/12/2013

Jeremy Jordan is a swish. There, I said it.

by Anonymousreply 22603/12/2013

Jeremy Jordan is petite! He'd make a wonderful pocket gay boyfriend. You could travel with him on your lap and not have to pay for a seat for him.

by Anonymousreply 22703/12/2013

Isherwood (or Brantley?) reviewed Kathleen's New Haven Sister George and killed her again.

by Anonymousreply 22803/12/2013

Is Stephen Karam dating Adam Chandler Beret?

by Anonymousreply 22903/12/2013

Posting this just to annoy the Smash troll-on tonight's episode the Liaisons invited press rehearsal featured the cast in full costumes, make-up and wigs. This never happens. Ever. The show's writers obviously don't watch NY1 Onstage.

by Anonymousreply 23003/12/2013

r211 I chose Flora over Do I Hear a Waltz (and live to regret it - Liza or no Liza)!

by Anonymousreply 23103/13/2013

How tall is petite Jeremy Jordan?

by Anonymousreply 23203/13/2013

My mistake; I knew I should have bought a ticket already - THE REVISIONIST is now completely sold out. Damn!

Well maybe I can see PASSION before it completely sells out.

I guess I should buy my ticket for THE FLICK, before it too sells out.

Otherwise what else is there to see these days? What a crappy season it has been.

by Anonymousreply 23303/13/2013

lol r23O.

by Anonymousreply 23403/13/2013

Why would Jerry Herman not like Bernadette? She did an outstanding job for him in Mack & Mabel - no one has ever sung those songs better.

And I thought Patti was his choice to do a Dolly revival?

by Anonymousreply 23503/13/2013

I agree with the earlier post. Barnum is almost as good a show as Whorehouse, but it had Jim Dale and a very good production which made it seem magical. Whorehouse is a very solidly constructed traditional book show with a well-constructed libretto. It always works, and the Tommy Tune direction was wonderful. I really liked them both a lot, with the edge going to Whorehouse.

by Anonymousreply 23603/13/2013

R89, was the terrible Beane musical you saw in workshop that terrible thing about the cruise ship singers who get hired because the line thinks they're Steve and Eydie, but they are really the Stevenitis? And they get involved with spies or something? Or is it a different awful musical?

by Anonymousreply 23703/13/2013

You started two sentences with conjunctions r237.....how awful for you.

by Anonymousreply 23803/13/2013

Richard Greenberg and DC Beane each have two high profile projects on Broadway this season.

Who will win?

by Anonymousreply 23903/13/2013

I have everyone beat. Opted for ROMANCE, ROMANCE over CARRIE. I'm so ashamed.

by Anonymousreply 24003/13/2013

Kelli O'Hara now leaving Nice Work on the 24th. Matthew Broderick on vacation thru the 24th. Does that seem odd to anyone that one star would not be at the other star's last show? I thought she was staying until the last day of March. Anyway, I love Kelli and wish her well with the new baby and Far from Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 24103/13/2013

And who said it was against grammar law to start a sentence with a conjunction, R238? You are simply wrong on that point.

by Anonymousreply 24203/13/2013

With the average $1.6 million weekly grosses in NY, and $2 million plus a week on the road, has David Stone quietly become the most successful producer in theatre history (surpassing Cameron Macintosh?)...

by Anonymousreply 24303/13/2013

R231- Hey, I agree about Waltz! I wish I had seen that too.. the only production I have seen of Do I Hear a Waltz? was at the old equity library theatre.

by Anonymousreply 24403/13/2013

"Follies and Sunday in the Park declared FLOPS on network TV! But Sondheimites can rest easy - it was on NBC, so no one heard."

Did I miss something, were these actually on TV or are they going to be?

by Anonymousreply 24503/13/2013

Right, bitches. I can't stop listening to CARMELINA. This show could work at Encores, yes?

by Anonymousreply 24603/13/2013

Caramelina is perfect for encores. But lets face it. The casting would be hideous

Patti?

And lets not even start on the three suitors.

by Anonymousreply 24703/13/2013

Carmelina needs a comedian in the lead. Christine Baranski?

Of course they could just use the current cast of Mamma Mia in the (basically) same roles!

by Anonymousreply 24803/13/2013

Someone in April is one of the great unknown theater songs, with a great comic payoff. Leave it to Lane and Lerner, the authors of She Wasn't You, arguably THE greatest musical theatre ballad ever.

by Anonymousreply 24903/13/2013

Say, someone should revive ON A CLEAR DAY! Great little score. But maybe there's something they could do to freshen the book a little.

by Anonymousreply 25003/13/2013

[quote]"Follies and Sunday in the Park declared FLOPS on network TV! But Sondheimites can rest easy - it was on NBC, so no one heard."

R245- No, it was a line from last week's episode of SMASH.

by Anonymousreply 25103/13/2013

thanks 251

by Anonymousreply 25203/13/2013

[quote]has David Stone quietly become the most successful producer in theatre history (surpassing Cameron Macintosh?)

Maybe, adjusting for inflation. But even then, Mackintosh has made his shows endure for decades, in their original productions and beyond. I doubt WICKED will still be packing them in in another fifteen years like PHANTOM (mystifyingly) still does. But who knows? Also Mackintosh owns LES MIZ and SAIGON entirely and will beyond his death. His contracts are that draconian. I imagine at some point after the initial production closes (which of course is a LONG way off) the rights to WICKED will be controlled by Schwartz and Holzman, right? Schwartz is/was the president of the Dramatist Guild. I can't imagine him signing a non-guild contract. This would also limit Stone's control.

And it should be said that for all of Mackintosh's bluster and ego, he's a shrewd businessman and arelatively decent guy. Stone, on the other hand, is an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 25303/13/2013

Don't worry, R240. They're both terrible.

by Anonymousreply 25403/13/2013

The melody for Someone in April was intended for On a Clear Day.

Love Before Breakfast, Someone in April, One More Walk Around the Garden, I Must Have Her and It's Time for a Love Song are all great songs. Just cut "Yankee Doodles are coming to town" - embarrassing song.

by Anonymousreply 25503/13/2013

Cheyenne Jackson is off to Budapest to shoot the film version of the flop play Six Dance Lessons In Six Weeks with Gena Rowlands, Ann-Margret and Rita Moreno. Cheyenne is replacing Sean Hayes, who was originally set for the role. It's being directed by Arthur Allan Seidelman who's the longtime bf of the writer Richard Alfieri.

by Anonymousreply 25603/13/2013

Carmelina is something that was the original intention of Encores-now, not so much-

by Anonymousreply 25703/13/2013

I can't believe that Andy Mientus' boyfriend is Michael Arden. Love them both.

by Anonymousreply 25803/13/2013

There was a melodic line in the underscoring of the TV show Lost which was note for note the opening melodic line of "One More Walk Along The Garden" in Carmelina.

by Anonymousreply 25903/13/2013

I didn't like Barnum although I'm a big Jim Dale fan. I second acted 70 Girls more times than I can count and loved it! I was 16. Remember being in the ladies dressing room and talking with Lillian Heyman who was so sweet as well as talented. Mildred Natwick was great in it sitting on an illuminated crescent moon singing "Yes". And of course Lillian Roth was also wonderful. Loved the curtain call when they patted their hand over their hearts and sang "Boom Ditty Boom"!

by Anonymousreply 26003/13/2013

regarding HIT THE WALL - saw a preview a few weeks ago. The whole thing seemed a bit rinky-dink - it needed more drag queens (there is only one!) and few lesbians. As far as period, what was with the rock music choice - what was the creative team thinking? Wouldn't Stonewall have been playing dance-oriented soul in 1969?

Overall, somewhat disappointing. But the concept would make an interesting movie.

by Anonymousreply 26103/13/2013

R261 Stonewall did not allow the drag or trandgender types in the door, so there should have been NONE.

by Anonymousreply 26203/13/2013

Disagree, r255. "I Must Have Her" is a terrible song with a rotten lyric. Even worse are the new lyrics that Barry Harman did for everything when Mufti did it (and they cut "Why Him?" which is another good song).

by Anonymousreply 26303/13/2013

The lyric isn't great but that happens with a lot of Lerner. The melody is great though.

"I must seduce her and be sent to hell with Lucifer" is fun.

Has anyone restaged Lolita? The second act is definitely a problem, but I think if Quilty was rewritten drastically and a darker edge was introduced, something more surreal perhaps, it might stand a chance.

by Anonymousreply 26403/13/2013

[quote]there are lots of funny stories of folks who visited NYC and chose one show to see over another and lived to regret it. My BF came on a college trip and chose to see the show that had won the Tony that year for Best Musical over some other show that he had never heard of. So yes, he saw TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA instead of FOLLIES. The top floor of our home has a tribute wall to FOLLIES, maintained by guess who.

He lucked out. Follies was a flop, a big one. Obviously you're are some certifiable loon so anything you told him about it would never hold up in the real world.

by Anonymousreply 26503/13/2013

The melody isn't any better than the lyric. Probably the worst melody in Carmelina, worse than Yankee Doodles (which is fun separated from its lyric).

Don't look for a restaging of Lolita - all sorts of rights issues there, and no one in charge is interested in spending the money to get it all straightened out.

by Anonymousreply 26603/13/2013

Are the rights for Lolita around John Barry's estate? It's a shame, there's so much good in the show, but it could never be a popular hit so I get why nobody would take the time to restage it.

by Anonymousreply 26703/13/2013

Has Encores ever done Lolita? That would be a fun one.

by Anonymousreply 26803/13/2013

[quote]I can't believe that Andy Mientus' boyfriend is Michael Arden. Love them both.

Forget about his boyfriend. Who's his hairstylist? Whoever it is should be barred from ever working again.

by Anonymousreply 26903/13/2013

"Do I Hear a [Christoph] Waltz?"

by Anonymousreply 27003/13/2013

I like r270's idea!

by Anonymousreply 27103/13/2013

The problems with Lolita, My Love are many. The biggest is that, since the show never opened on Broadway, the right to the underlying material (Nabokov's novel) lapsed long ago. It's one of those things that would need to be put back together again, and there's not really any interest from Lerner's and Barry's estates in paying money to get the rights back when it's unlikely to yield the kind of major production that would cover that expense.

And that's assuming they could even still get the rights - remember what happened with Kander & Ebb's SKIN OF OUR TEETH - it never got to Broadway, the rights lapsed, and Thornton Wilder's nephew has refused to let them continue the option.

by Anonymousreply 27203/13/2013

I have a really gay question. Why, on the OBC recording of Do I Hear a Waltz?, does Elizabeth Allen sing "Do I hear a WALSE?"?

by Anonymousreply 27303/13/2013

Why was the SMASH thread deleted?

by Anonymousreply 27403/13/2013

I met Dorothy Loudon backstage at Lolita, My Love after the show, the night the cast was told they would be folding in Boston. She had tears in her eyes but took my sincere compliments with grace.

Believe me, she was the ONLY good thing about that entire production.

She had to wait another 6 or 7 years before she finally had a hit with Annie and was made a genuine Broadway star. She had certainly paid her dues.

by Anonymousreply 27503/13/2013

Is this gossip?

by Anonymousreply 27603/13/2013

Loudon must have been wonderful in Lolita. I just watched the movie and can totally see her in that role. So Loudon was kind of an unknown when Annie opened? How did she get a Lead Actress Tony nomination? I'd of thought they'd have put her in Featured so McCardle could win too. Is Katie Finneran being submitted as featured or lead?

by Anonymousreply 27703/13/2013

Dorothy was hardly an unknown when Annie opened. She had just never been in a hit Broadway show, just many notoriously short-run flops.

Many TV viewers knew her because she replaced Carol Burnett as a co-star on The Garry Moore Show on CBS in the early 1960s, but even his wonderful show was fading and losing its glory by then...I guess mostly because of the departure of Carol Burnett.

by Anonymousreply 27803/13/2013

Why'd she stop working in the late 80s/90s? Jerry's Girls in 1986 then nothing.

by Anonymousreply 27903/13/2013

Dorothy Loudon suffered terribly and inexplicably from stage fright in her later years.

Dear old director Gerry Gutierrez was a huge fan and tried to get her back on stage in both Once Upon a Mattress (as the Queen) and in Lincoln Center's Dinner at 8:00 (as Carlotta, the Marie Dressler role). I believe she never made it to previews of the former and left the later after the first or second preview.

Very sad.

by Anonymousreply 28003/13/2013

Loudon lucked out with MATTRESS, at least. That was Gutierrez directing SJP, correct?

One of the worst Bway shows I've ever seen. SJP couldn't sing and there wasn't a laugh in it. Just dire.

by Anonymousreply 28103/13/2013

Yes r281, perhaps on that one Dorothy knew what she was doing.

by Anonymousreply 28203/13/2013

Who played the Queen in the SJP production?

So odd that she developed stage fright after a life on the stage. Did she do concerts or cabaret at all in the later years?

by Anonymousreply 28303/14/2013

According to ibdb.com, it was someone named Mary Lou Rosato, R283.

With the exception of Jane Krakowski, even the casting was a complete yawn.

by Anonymousreply 28403/14/2013

I thought I'd heard that Loudon was an alcoholic, too - or was I misinformed? Did that contribute to her problems with working?

by Anonymousreply 28503/14/2013

The Mound Builders is a snooze-fest. The main problem is the direction which doesn't establish any sort of coherent tone for the play. I didn't know who half the characters were of if one of the couples is getting a divorce or just stupid. This problem lies in Lanford Wilson's script as well, but Jo Bonney should know better.

Nice shirtless scene with Zachary Booth, David Conrad has put on pounds of mounds since THE GHOST WHISPERER, and why does Will Rogers keep getting work. His first monologue is so scattered I really don't know what he was talking about.

Skip.

by Anonymousreply 28603/14/2013

Though Lerner and Barry (and Albee) gave it the old college try, LOLITA is probably unadaptable for the stage. Humbert Humbert is a completely unreliable narrator--it would seem to be an impossible task to ask an audience to identify with a character who is not only repellant in his self-justification (if mordantly witty) but also so thoroughly untrustworthy. Lusting after nymphets is the least of Humbert's crimes--it's the soul-murder of poor Dolores that is the real concern of Nabokov's novel. And, as Vlad himself observed, it would be an immoral act to have a real-life 12 year-old play the part. Assuredly, LOLITA will continue to live on on the page, if not the stage.

by Anonymousreply 28703/14/2013

The movie versions of LOLITA don't really work, either, even though they both have their moments.

by Anonymousreply 28803/14/2013

I MUCH prefer the Adrian Lyne version to the Kubrick, which, censorship issues aside, doesn't work at all: a little of Peter Sellers' shtick goes a long way. Shelley Winters is good, though, as is James Mason and both are perfectly cast.

by Anonymousreply 28903/14/2013

Did anyone watch "The Neighbors" on ABC tonight? There was a funny plot about the aliens wanting to go see a musical on Broadway (to which they WALKED from New Jersey.) I'm sure it was the only time in my life I will hear someone say, "Sing out, Dick Butkus!"

by Anonymousreply 29003/14/2013

Weird that Loudon had stage fright - her Live at the Blue Angel album features one of the ballsiest most confident performances ever.

I love the Kubrick Lolita, Lyne sucked the dark humor out of the whole thing.

Albee refuses to go into depth about his Lolita, merely saying that what was staged wasn't what he wrote. If he's so confident that what he did was better, I wonder why he hasn't went out of his way to have it staged again.

by Anonymousreply 29103/14/2013

Yeah, R285, "stage fright" = drunk.

by Anonymousreply 29203/14/2013

[quote]Did anyone watch "The Neighbors" on ABC tonight? There was a funny plot about the aliens wanting to go see a musical on Broadway (to which they WALKED from New Jersey.) I'm sure it was the only time in my life I will hear someone say, "Sing out, Dick Butkus!"

I didn't see it, but I think the songs were by Alan Menken and the brilliantly employed Glen Slater.

by Anonymousreply 29303/14/2013

Nabokov's novel "Lolita" stands up to scrutiny because it's absolutely authentic, because even though he told the story in Humbert's voice Nabokov had himself been molested as a boy so he knew Dolores' side and expressed it honestly as well. I haven't seen the Lyne adaptation or "Lolita my Love" but the problem with the Kubrick version is that it took Humbert at face value and depicted him as the helpless victim of a teenaged seductress, which may make it an effective entertainment but it's a truncation and falsification of Nabokov's story.

by Anonymousreply 29403/14/2013

R281- I agree. Saw it in final week of previews and it was deadly.

by Anonymousreply 29503/14/2013

yes R285, she was.

by Anonymousreply 29603/14/2013

Edward Watts is Superman!

rehearsal footage.

by Anonymousreply 29703/14/2013

Loudon worked after Jerry`s Girls. I bought a ticket to see Dinner at Eight just to see her. I enjoyed Marian Welded but would love yo have seen Loudon in a role she was so perfectly cast. I saw her in the 80s and 90s in Show Boat, Love Letters and Over and Over. She was good in all of them and especially funny in Over and Over.

by Anonymousreply 29803/14/2013

Marian Welded is one of the great typos of our time. It's mlop-ian in its greatness.

by Anonymousreply 29903/14/2013

I don't know how the posters above can say Kubrick's 'Lolita' didn't work. Maybe the above posters are young and didn't see it when first released but I did and have watched it more than once since...and yes, I read the novel as so many did in those days. It was a shocker in it's day and U.S. had never seen anything like it, up to that time.

The movie, like the novel, was as much a wicked satire of the shallow, hypocritical America of the 50s and 60s and, in particular, America's screwed-up Puritan values as anything else. The Humbert/Lolita relationship was the sensational aspect of the story but it was what it all said about us as a country that makes it a landmark film to this day. Shelley Winters never gave as good a performance before or since 'Lolita', Mason was perfect casting as Humbert and, yes, Sellers needed to be controlled a bit but was still a revelation for many.

I has forgotten about the attempt to do a stage musical and the Albee connection --know nothing about it--but if ever a novel is ripe for a truly great, ground-breaking musical---'Lolita' is it.

by Anonymousreply 30003/14/2013

was bizarre how bad MATTRESS was considering the good work Gutierrez had been doing

deadly

Featured Datalounge favorite Lewis Cleale. who's had him?

by Anonymousreply 30103/14/2013

Fortunately, MATTRESS ended the inexplicable music theatre career of SJP. And for that we are grateful.

How did she ever get cast as ANNIE? She can't fucking sing.

by Anonymousreply 30203/14/2013

"Lolita" the movie was great.

by Anonymousreply 30303/14/2013

Any juice on the director of KINKY Boots?

by Anonymousreply 30403/14/2013

on grindr daily...even while working.

by Anonymousreply 30503/14/2013

Jerry Mitchell certainly has had his share of chorus boy juice. Ask Denis Jones. Or anybody else in all of his shows.

by Anonymousreply 30603/14/2013

Lewis had a real sexy hairy chest but always seemed like a depressive

by Anonymousreply 30703/14/2013

r302 - lots of talented 12 year old singers lose their vocal power after puberty.

by Anonymousreply 30803/14/2013

[quote]lots of talented 12 year old singers lose their vocal power after puberty.

I'll say.

by Anonymousreply 30903/14/2013

I can't stand Jerry Mitchell's shows. He can't seem to distinguish between casting male ensembles for a musical and casting for his sex parties. No matter what shows he's directing, it looks like Broadway Bares- regardless of age, era, appropriateness. If he direct 1776, the Founding Fathers would all be played by buff, tanned, shaved 20-somethings.

by Anonymousreply 31003/14/2013

I think Jerry Mitchell cruised me as I walking home from work from the subway the other night, he's very tall with dark Jewish features, no? I'm very short and I guess look twinkish with my ski hat on. He was hot looking.

by Anonymousreply 31103/14/2013

Jerry Mitchell is gayer than jello shots with Liza Minnelli.

by Anonymousreply 31203/14/2013

still remember Jerry mitchell almost naked on that drum in Will Rogers

Rumor has it he's hung. Anyone confirm?

by Anonymousreply 31303/14/2013

Jerry is STRAIGHT, what are you kids talking about?

by Anonymousreply 31403/14/2013

R310, ROTFLMAO!!

OMG, so true!

by Anonymousreply 31503/14/2013

He'll cruise me, but he won't friend me on FB! How does one get invited to one of his special parties? Does he live in HK? The alleged cruising happened in front of CHICAGO, I was on my way to Food Empussyum!

by Anonymousreply 31603/14/2013

r310 you can ditto that for that hack Rob Ashford, and really almost every director and/or choreographer working today. Gone are the Fosses Princes, and Champions who appreciated women. No wonder men have given up going to musical theater. Everything slopped on stage these features hairless buff boys dancing like sissies. Remember when the girls were prettier than the boys?

by Anonymousreply 31703/14/2013

you make a really good point r317

fine to be equal opportunity but now it's all about the boys like the Gaiety

by Anonymousreply 31803/14/2013

Lewis Cleale is happier now that he's come out. Part of his "depression" was having to hide his sexuality when he was doing the tour of SUNSET BLVD (in which he showed off his buff body in a bathing suit).

by Anonymousreply 31903/14/2013

R310, can you name ONE example of a Jerry Mitchell show in which the male ensemble was cast inappropriately?

by Anonymousreply 32003/14/2013

I'm off to see "Catch Me if You Can" at the Pantages (LA) tonight. I just checked the cast list and I haven't heard of ANYONE. Has anyone seen this production?

by Anonymousreply 32103/14/2013

The rehearsal footage of Superman is indeed awful but the standout is Charlie Williams-he always gives 100 percent, is a great dancer ane he acts while he is dancing- he should have been superman- with that face body and personality.

by Anonymousreply 32203/14/2013

R321- It's a non union production... those should be banned from touring.. direct from Broadway my ass... the property was on Broadway but the actors in this non equity tour have not. NETworks, Troika, Big League should be ashamed of themselves. Tour promoters (Theater League @Mark Edelman, I'm looking at you) should be ashamed.

by Anonymousreply 32303/14/2013

yeah Rob-- you say that because Charlie is plowing you nightly.

by Anonymousreply 32403/14/2013

Crazy For You always had a great assortment of men in the ensemble - young, old, tall, short, skinny, fat, balding, etc - and they were all great dancers. They looked REAL. There was always one buff chorus boy who looked out of place.

by Anonymousreply 32503/14/2013

R320, I'm just saying, there should be a physical difference between Harvard law students, drag club performers and British shoe factory workers.

by Anonymousreply 32603/14/2013

[quote]How did she (SJP) ever get cast as ANNIE? She can't fucking sing.

At the time, there were rumors that her relationship with director Martin Charnin was more than child actress/mentor. I reiterate that these were just rumors.

Charnin had a reputation for using the casting couch as a way to find talent for ANNIE. Many of the Grace Farrell's were purportedly recruited this way.

by Anonymousreply 32703/14/2013

I agree R326, but I imagine part of the problem is financial. Tiny casts begat problems like that. In the old day, they would have hired five guys JUST to play the factory workers. Today, we should be grateful that they're not having to play musical instruments, too.

by Anonymousreply 32803/14/2013

Russell Harvard looks good in LA.

by Anonymousreply 32903/14/2013

Once Upon a Mattress' Mary Lou Rosato was a classmate of Gutierrez's from Juilliard.

They both were founding members of The Acting Company, which also included their classmates Patti Lupone, Kevin Kline, David Ogden Stiers and David Schramm. All of them spent two years touring the country after their Juilliard graduation.

Oddly enough, I don't think Gutierrez ever cast any of the others in his plays when he became a director.

I think Rosato left the business when Mattress closed.

by Anonymousreply 33003/14/2013

Dear R323. Get a fucking grip on reality. The shows can't afford to pay production contract rates - hence SETA. Trust me I know. I work for one of those companies and if they were some tier of Equity, the simple fact is they wouldn't happen at all and theatre would be stone cold dead instead of the rotting corpse it is now. I'm out there and I see the money - more precisely the lace thereof. And R 313, wasn't John Ganun the dancing indian on the drum in WRF?

by Anonymousreply 33103/14/2013

Has anyone here seen Craig Lucas' Bette Davis play at the Atlantic?

In spite of Isherwood's pan today, it sounded kind of fascinating and Carol Kane seems like inspired casting as elderly Bette.

by Anonymousreply 33203/14/2013

How could she possibly be convincing with that voice? It couldn't be more different than Davis's.

by Anonymousreply 33303/14/2013

The review actually has nice things to say about Kane, that she didn't descend into imitation or drag.

The play - well, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 33403/14/2013

Davis herself used to say Kane should play her.

by Anonymousreply 33503/14/2013

The Lying Lesson (a/k/a the Craig Lucas Bette Davis play) is actually far worse than the Isherwood review - he was being kind.

Carol Kane (whom I love) was terrible as Davis. He accent sounded Hungarian and she has the vocal range of a dial tone.

A huge disappointment to a Craig Lucas fan, who I hear didn't even go to the after party.

by Anonymousreply 33603/15/2013

Santino Fontana = Straight

by Anonymousreply 33703/15/2013

there are no straight people in the theatre

by Anonymousreply 33803/15/2013

Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 33903/15/2013

Craig Lucas's next play will feature Harvey Fierstein as Mario Lanza.

by Anonymousreply 34003/15/2013

No, r337.

by Anonymousreply 34103/15/2013

Kane actually does a great, subtle job as Davis. True, the voice is not right, but the phrasing is near perfect, as is everything else about her performance.

by Anonymousreply 34203/15/2013

Harvey Fierstein as Adam Lanza? Isn't he a bit...old?

by Anonymousreply 34303/15/2013

We are now 28 days (plus) since Steve Kazee's last appearance on twitter- longer than the standard rehab? abducted by aliens?

by Anonymousreply 34403/15/2013

[quote] We are now 28 days (plus) since Steve Kazee's last appearance on twitter- longer than the standard rehab? abducted by aliens?

I'm sorry, who?

by Anonymousreply 34503/15/2013

If you are on this thread you have NO business asking such a question r345.

by Anonymousreply 34603/15/2013

I've heard that Steve is off trying to find Kathleen Chalfant's GF. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 34703/15/2013

I hope he reports back here with the name of Kathleen Chalfant's GF

by Anonymousreply 34803/15/2013

I really want to heckle Megan Hilty after seeing this

by Anonymousreply 34903/15/2013

Beloved NYC theatre gays: I am sorry to be so late coming to the party with the next question, and am currently poor enough not to be able to afford $18 to join again to post, so I seek your indulgence/pity:

I just now read about - on Playbill.com - updated info re Bway-bound (???) "Rebecca", and that the show's (former?) PR rep, Marc Thibodeau, was accused of having been the person who did email(s) to an investor trying to warn said investor about the problems with the guy who turned out to be a crook.

Do you gentlemen and ladies have an opinion about Marc Thibodeau? is he being thrown under the bus? I see he's being sued...

Does anyone know him?

TIA; again, I apologize for not learning about this till recently (my computer was in the shop for over a month.)

by Anonymousreply 35003/15/2013

If you ask really nicely, Marc T. will let you know who Kathleen's GF really is.

by Anonymousreply 35103/15/2013

The identity of Kathleen Chalfant's girlfriend is hidden in a vault along with Jimmy Hoffa's hair, the recipe for Crystal Pepsi, and Bebe Neuwirth's soul.

by Anonymousreply 35203/15/2013

I thought he was asking about Kathleen's gofer.

by Anonymousreply 35303/15/2013

ugh that clip at r349 just reminds me how miserable and sad and angry and pathetic male comics are. Depressing.

by Anonymousreply 35403/15/2013

[quote]Kathleen's gofer

Is that a euphemism? Did she have to shave that, too, when she did WIT?

by Anonymousreply 35503/15/2013

[quote]The identity of Kathleen Chalfant's girlfriend is hidden in a vault along with Jimmy Hoffa's hair, the recipe for Crystal Pepsi, and Bebe Neuwirth's soul.

Also hidden in the vault: Steve Kazee, and the last two weeks of "Dear World."

by Anonymousreply 35603/15/2013

Paul Blake is producing on Broadway? Is Georgia Engel playing Carole King?

by Anonymousreply 35703/15/2013

I'm in love with R352 gang!

Karen, dancing an Irish jig!

xo

by Anonymousreply 35803/15/2013

[quote] Also hidden in the vault: Steve Kazee, and the last two weeks of "Dear World."

Betty Lynn is holding Steve Kazee hostage so she has someone to blow before going onstage.

by Anonymousreply 35903/15/2013

R357!!!!!!! I love you!

by Anonymousreply 36003/15/2013

Any news on Steve Kazee? still in rehab?

by Anonymousreply 36103/15/2013

Is Karen with a Z Irish?

by Anonymousreply 36203/15/2013

Karen is great in HAPPY BIRTHDAY off broadway

No singing or dancing

by Anonymousreply 36303/15/2013

Seriously, Carole King's people put her catalog in the hands of Paul Blake?!? Was Ben Sprecher busy?

by Anonymousreply 36403/15/2013

I wasn't available, r364. I'm planning on having our first rehearsal of REBECCA soon, and I'm busy talking with several different possible investors! Oh, and I have a Kickstarter page, too. REBECCA lives!

by Anonymousreply 36503/16/2013

Aaron Tveit is a gay.

by Anonymousreply 36603/16/2013

Aaron is straight!

by Anonymousreply 36703/16/2013

Stark Sands (currently in KINKY BOOTS) cock was the best thing on view in the LaJolla tryout of BONNIE AND CLYDE, the musical. Two scenes, full frontal. Apparently when the show went to Broadway the nude scenes were cut at the request of Cinderella/Bonnie Parker Laura Osnes. Or else, diva Jeremy Jordan refused to do them. Gentlemen, if you can, find a copy of the LaJolla B&C bootleg for a sampling of Stark's cock...

by Anonymousreply 36803/16/2013

What does Jordan Roth do right so that people don't gossip about him? Considering he is a gay man at the top of the theatre chain, you would think he would be quite the target...

by Anonymousreply 36903/16/2013

It seems that old Barry Manilow musical Harmony is finally on its way in to Broadway.

Everyone from Casey Nicholaw, Patrick Wilson, Danny Burstein and Rebecca Luker were in the the first incarnation in the 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 37003/16/2013

re: SJP being cast as Annie. As I recall, she wasn't cast as Annie, she was originally one of the orphans and as others left the show, she was promoted to the role.

by Anonymousreply 37203/16/2013

That's the way it happened R372. Heard from the horse's mouth. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 37303/16/2013

I'll go see this revival of Annie when they bring in a little girl who doesn't look uncannily like the psycho in the movie The Orphan.

by Anonymousreply 37403/16/2013

SJP was a replacement orphan, not one of the originals. And then, eventually, a replacement Annie.

by Anonymousreply 37503/16/2013

Jordan Roth supports and produces first-rate theater. Remember his salvaging last year of Clybourne Park when the Hollywood mogul tried to capsize the production... He's learned a lot from his classy mother, another stellar producer. As long as he keeps up his terrific attitude, every god-fearing queen will stand, er, behind him.

by Anonymousreply 37603/16/2013

[quote]Not everyone who loves singing and dancing is gay.

I've been trying to convince people of that for years.

by Anonymousreply 37703/16/2013

Two things:

LOLITA is the most over-rated novel of the second half of the 20th century.

Holland Taylor is spectacularly good in ANN, and it doesn't matter that the play has no shape and doesn't know how to end. She spends at least a third of the play on the telephone, and though in fact it's just an actress talking into a piece of plastic, nonetheless, she makes you believe in every single person on the other end of the line: you believe she's talking to her children, Bill Clinton, a lawyer, her speech writer, etc. Everyone she talks to on the phone is specific. It feels as if they're all in the room with us. Her granddaughter! Everything Taylor does is specific, she moves beautifully, she knows how to land a joke, she has a ton of charisma, she makes you believe that her few brief exchanges with the audience are not scripted, she's gorgeous, it's just a beautiful performance. And she wrote the play herself. It's not a good play! It's not even really a play. But it's a chance to spend 2 hours with Taylor, and I could have spent an hour more. I haven't seen Laurie Metcalf's play - though I've seen Metcalf on stage twice, and she's a wonderful stage actor. Nonetheless, I'd be surprised if Taylor doesn't get a Tony.

by Anonymousreply 37803/16/2013

I'm telling you, it's gonna be Fiona Shaw.

Broadway is in awe of the UK and her play is based on a new book by a Pulitzer Prize winning (and gay!) Irish novelist.

And she's playing Mary Mother of Jesus, which might just trump Ann Richards.

And her performance, because it will be seen later than ANN, will be fresher in the voters' minds come voting time.

by Anonymousreply 37903/16/2013

what till Riedel starts to dig up the Ann dirt! buh buy tony!

by Anonymousreply 38003/16/2013

Colm Toibin is indeed gay, but he's never won the Pulitzer, nor will he. You have to be an American to do that.

by Anonymousreply 38103/16/2013

If the Tony voters saw Shaw's performance in "The Black Dahlia," I don't imagine they'll be in awe of her. She's an old British ham. Better to give it to one of our own hams.

by Anonymousreply 38203/16/2013

R376 = Daryl Roth

by Anonymousreply 38303/16/2013

R372 / R373 :

If I recall correctly, Sarah Jessica Parker moved from orphan to Annie because the first-post Andrea McCardle replacement - Shelly Bruce? - got cancer and had to leave the show. At least that is how I recall it. I was a little gay boy who was so upset I was not seeing one of the "famous" Annies I almost did not go. I still have the SJP as Annie Playbill, btw.

by Anonymousreply 38403/17/2013

no r384 Bruce left the show because she got to old and then got cancer a little later.

It was the practice with Annie to promote the understudy(Bruce was McCardle's, SJP was Bruce's)

After SJP though they got tired of promoting the understudy because the girls would age out too fast so they had a big talent search where they found Allison Smith who was much younger than the others and was able to play the role along time before outgrowing it.

by Anonymousreply 38503/17/2013

[quote] Bruce was McCardle's understudy

Actually McCardle's understudy was the original Annie, Kristen Vigard (Morgan, Guiding Light)

by Anonymousreply 38603/17/2013

It's McArdle not McCardle.

by Anonymousreply 38703/17/2013

Was the Bette Midler show always called I'll Eat You Last? I hope the rest of the writing is better than the title.

by Anonymousreply 38803/17/2013

Annie!

What about me?

by Anonymousreply 38903/17/2013

[quote] Was the Bette Midler show always called I'll Eat You Last? I hope the rest of the writing is better than the title.

"I'll Eat You Last: Gloryholes at the Continental Baths"

by Anonymousreply 39003/17/2013

Anybody else watch Broadway Musicals: A Jewish Legacy on PBS yet? It's being repeated tonight on Ch 13 in the NY area and it's really wonderful. There are fabulous clips and still photos. There's a shot of the original Broadway production of Cabaret during rehearsals-Fred Ebb actually looked sorta hot. Paul Lombardi, formerly of Ny1 Onstage, is co-hosting pledge breaks and his salt and pepper hair is making him a hot daddy. Is he rich, too?

by Anonymousreply 39103/17/2013

R391, OMG I watched it and all I could notice was Paul looks spectacular with that hair.

The show was great, though how ironic PBS has Celtic women specials every day of the year but today on St. Patrick's Day they have a special about Jews.

by Anonymousreply 39203/17/2013

Is there actually more than one person who cares where Steve Kazzee is?

by Anonymousreply 39303/17/2013

[quote] Is there actually more than one person who cares where Steve Kazzee is?

His agent, his hairdresser, his therapist. I count at LEAST three!

by Anonymousreply 39403/17/2013

[quote]Is there actually more than one person who cares where Steve Kazzee is?

Yeah, the idiots on the theater boards who just because they've met him at the stage door think they have the right to know his private business.

by Anonymousreply 39503/17/2013

[quote]Anybody else watch Broadway Musicals: A Jewish Legacy on PBS yet?

It is online too:

by Anonymousreply 39603/18/2013

I hope a chandelier falls on OP.

by Anonymousreply 39703/18/2013

kill yourself r397

by Anonymousreply 39803/18/2013

[quote]was the terrible Beane musical you saw in workshop that terrible thing about the cruise ship singers who get hired because the line thinks they're Steve and Eydie, but they are really the Stevenitis? And they get involved with spies or something? Or is it a different awful musical?

Yes! I forgot the title, but that was the one. What the hell were they thinking?

by Anonymousreply 39903/18/2013

Just listened to Falsettos (the LA Theatreworks recording) for the first time in ages - is this perhaps the most dated show ever? All of the Woody Allen-ish humour as therapy is too much to slog through. Do off-Broadway writers still put out work like this?

by Anonymousreply 40003/18/2013

"We'll buy the farm, arm in arm" is a horrible lyric from one of the songs in Falsettoland.

by Anonymousreply 40103/18/2013

Today Falsettos would not get beyond a workshop.

by Anonymousreply 40203/18/2013

R402- Waana make bet?/your critique makes me wet

by Anonymousreply 40303/18/2013

[quote] Today Falsettos would not get beyond a workshop.

Interesting, a certain regional theater masquerading as Broadway may revive it soon.

by Anonymousreply 40403/18/2013

The bitches at that other site are sure anti-Hunter Ryan Helvetica.

Poor guy, he's so pretty.

by Anonymousreply 40503/18/2013

[quote]"We'll buy the farm, arm in arm" is a horrible lyric from one of the songs in Falsettoland.

I love the show, but that one does make me cringe. The other is "The wine is very soothing/soothes the something something/Someone needed soothing" because it turns out that "something something" was supposed to be replaced by a real lyric but he never got around to coming up with one, so he just left it as "something something".

Like I said, I do love the show, but....

by Anonymousreply 40603/18/2013

I worked on the original Playwrights Horizons production of Falsettoland (AKA, Six Fags over Texas) There were a couple of lyrics that the cast absolutely refused to sing. I wonder if the "something, something" lyric was one of them. I remember vaguely that one that Michael Rupert refused to sing had something to do with fish or lox. The cast kept pointing out the "false" in Falsettoland. It was not a happy production.

by Anonymousreply 40703/18/2013

[quote]It was not a happy production.

How could it be? Chip Zien was in it.

by Anonymousreply 40803/18/2013

R408, Actually, the worst that I can say about Chip was that he was phobic about fabric softener. Too much other crazy to deal with, including Franny Lee doing costumes.

by Anonymousreply 40903/18/2013

Oh no! Not Falsettoland. Are we that desperate? Let's get back to Steve Kazoo, who's being replaced permanently in Once, or Twice, or whatever that snoozefest is called.

by Anonymousreply 41003/18/2013

Sorry, R410, he's not being replaced. Try reading the press release with your glasses ON.

by Anonymousreply 41103/18/2013

Tony Sheldon has gone from Tony nominee to supporting roles in regional theater to his current job, a Seth Rudetsky showcase. This is really preferable to having his pick of roles in Australia?

by Anonymousreply 41203/18/2013

"Do off-Broadway writers still put out work like this?"'

More than ever. Instead of post-Sondheim angst and ennui (which at least had some character and humor), the shows/songs today consist solely of generic navel-gazing and I'm-sad songs, dealing with broken relationships, 9/11, etc., that only a collegiate's parents and dorm mates could ever bear to listen to and nod sympathetically as a little tear fell down their cheek. Musically, the songs remain as amateur and devoid of compositional interest as all the off-Broadway crap audiences have been subjected to for the last three decades.

by Anonymousreply 41303/18/2013

Steve Kazee would be a good Whizzer, actually.

by Anonymousreply 41403/18/2013

[quote]Sorry, [R410], he's not being replaced. Try reading the press release with your glasses ON.

What part of Beginning Tuesday, March 26, Ben Hope will play the role of "Guy,", do you not understand?

You mean because other cast members are leaving too? He's still being replaced.

by Anonymousreply 41503/18/2013

Well, R414, if I can be the whizzee, I'd pay production contract minimum for Steve K to play Whizzer!

by Anonymousreply 41603/18/2013

Santino Fontana is/was with Jessica Hershberg.

by Anonymousreply 41703/18/2013

[quote]the shows/songs today consist solely of generic navel-gazing and I'm-sad songs, dealing with broken relationships, 9/11, etc.,

Exactly. GIRLS, the musical.

And the production side of things (including the NFP's) doesn't help. They love navel-gazing. It's cheap and usually doesn't involve more than four pieces in the band.

by Anonymousreply 41803/18/2013

We don't have to worry about Kazee being out of Once, because he's no longer in the show:

Ben Hope and Laura Dreyfuss will be the new "Guy" and "Girl," respectively, of Broadway's 2012 Tony Award-winning Best Musical Once, beginning March 26. Also joining the cast that day are Carlos Valdes as Andrej and Claire Wellin as Réza.

by Anonymousreply 41903/18/2013

Kazee seclusion

by Anonymousreply 42003/18/2013

Kazee was good to me

by Anonymousreply 42103/18/2013

Did he whiz on you, r421?

by Anonymousreply 42203/18/2013

Karen "I still can't dance" Olivo is evidently quitting the business.

by Anonymousreply 42303/18/2013

Ohmygawd! Falsettoland.

One of the most cringe worthy, maudlin, embarrassing, suburban schmaltz-fest I've ever seen. I was shocked that anyone other than very "hip" 60 year-old Jewish ladies could possibly stomach it. Please let it never return...anywhere!

by Anonymousreply 42403/18/2013

I thought she was doing TV now? Or is that what you mean by "quitting the business"?

by Anonymousreply 42503/18/2013

[quote] Please let it never return...anywhere!

What's wrong with you?

by Anonymousreply 42603/18/2013

Agree that Falsettoland is a piece of shit. Has William Finn ever written anything worthwhile?

by Anonymousreply 42703/18/2013

is Steve Kazee in Bellevue? Does he have my old room?

by Anonymousreply 42803/18/2013

I can understand wanting to take some time off ecspecially when your career is sorta stalled, but this whole announcing your retirement thing is a little much Karen.

by Anonymousreply 42903/19/2013

poor Karen can't hold a man.....sad.

by Anonymousreply 43003/19/2013

Hated "Falsettos". I remember when the doctor sang, "Something's going round/a virus has been found" I had the urge to shout: "THAT WAS FAST!" I mean, I understand one must compress time in a musical but still.

Having said that, I love "Spelling Bee."

by Anonymousreply 43103/19/2013

"New Brain" is one of my favorite musicals.

I am, to put it very mildly, not much of a crier ... but I always tear up during "Time & Music" when the key modulates up and they all come in for the chorus. Gets me every time.

The only other time I cry in the theater is during the audition number in 42nd St when, in the Gower choreography, they join together for that flapping arms bit. (I'm sure there's some official dance name for it.) I even cry when I listen to that moment in the OCR.

by Anonymousreply 43203/19/2013

r431: And I feel exactly the opposite - Loved FALSETTOS and loathed SPELLING BEE.

by Anonymousreply 43303/19/2013

"I'd Rather Be Sailing" is such a wonderful song - but the rest of "A New Brain" sucks to my ears.

by Anonymousreply 43403/19/2013

More about Audra at Belleview please.

by Anonymousreply 43503/19/2013

She checked herself into Belleview while at Julliard. Used to be kind of public knowledge but it seems to have been removed from the internet...she must have a new publicist.

by Anonymousreply 43603/19/2013

Hands on a Hardbody is a crap feat-generic repetitive songs-shallow, simplistic lyrics-bad staging, cliches abound cheap looking/ugly production. Keala Settle has a nice big voice-but her character is a one note pill, Keith Carradine still sounds great, David Larsen has one of the worst sort of God Bless The USA songs ever in a musical-Hunter Foster is a gristled redneck with a son old enough to have been in Irag-hmm not buying that.

by Anonymousreply 43803/19/2013

Motown, over a million dollars in its firt 7 performances?

This is the future of Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 43903/19/2013

I went to Juilliard with Audra. She had a lot of trouble there. The classical voice department was not the right fit for her. She was never talented enough vocally to sing opera. She really should have been in the drama department but was not an accomplished enough actress.

She failed her juries and was asked to leave. This happens to everyone who fails their juries or is culled from the drama department at the end of every year. It wasn't a big deal because she wasn't on the radar at Juilliard as she didn't have the requisite vocal talent.

Then, of course, she did an open call for "Carousel" next door in a production of vocal lightweights and had a great success as Carrie, landing her first Tony. She's not a great talent to any other than the odd Tony voters, but she's working and obviously found her niche on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 44003/19/2013

Audra got her start in "The Secret Garden" on the road, and did very well in it. She did not have to go to an open call for "Carousel."

by Anonymousreply 44103/19/2013

Hi - Audra 5 Tonys McDonald, however you slice is, has the right combo of skills to succeed on Broadway. Is she an opera singer - NO. Is she Viola Davis? No. But, her total package - along with the fact that she cultivated Ted Sperling, among others, gave her a career. Her vocal excesses in concert are RIDICULOUS - all the whooping and swooping she does now is just silly, frankly, but she appeals to middle-brow audiences.

by Anonymousreply 44203/19/2013

The Rascals are coming to Broadway. They have some really good white-boy soul songs, before Hall & Oates!

by Anonymousreply 44303/19/2013

And I thought I was the only one who wasn't a fan of Audra's voice. I can't take her yelping through nearly every song.

by Anonymousreply 44403/19/2013

[quote]More about Audra at Belleview please.

Well, after Kathleen Chalfant dumped her...

by Anonymousreply 44503/19/2013

Wonder if Steve Kazee will be able to present the Actor in a Musical Tony Award in June?

by Anonymousreply 44603/19/2013

Audra sounds the same in everything. She's very competent I won't see something just because she's in it. But I won't mind

As for new brain. All we could say was. DIE ALREADY!!!!

I feel so much spring? Terrible lyrics. What the hell does that mean

Oh. Don't like the sailing sing either. Boring and too long

by Anonymousreply 44703/19/2013

What about the boy from "cock" who is Breakfast At Tiffanys" cock. We need more sightings and saying he is gay as the day (dick) long. More information please. Has Max Von Essen been there?

by Anonymousreply 44803/19/2013

Nice 'shout-out', r447. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 44903/19/2013

I think Audra has a lovely voice, but it is true that there's not a lot of variety to the sound. My partner just can't bear listening to her at all, and without having heard much of her, can identify her in about two seconds. At which point he turns it off.

by Anonymousreply 45003/19/2013

Audra's Barbara Cook Kennedy Center tribute was the best out of all of them. There's a reason they chose her to be last, and you can see the envy and the respect on the others faces as she belts out "Till there was you". Streep is clearly blown away and in tears.

by Anonymousreply 45103/19/2013

She's a great ballad singer for show tunes, but she can't really swing. She's too studied. I wouldn't want to hear her album of standards, but on things like When Did I Fall in Love, she's great.

by Anonymousreply 45203/19/2013

does anyone think Bette as Sue is going to work?

by Anonymousreply 45303/19/2013

Yes, I do think it will work. Sue was such an outlandish and over the top character that it's really a perfect match.

I wish Bette would have done the Spector film. I think she's a better actress than people give her credit for.

by Anonymousreply 45403/19/2013

Does Audra still faint alot? I remember reading multiple stories about her passing out during concerts, tributes, etc. Then the stories stopped.

I think she's lovely but way overrated (and let me include Kelli O'Hara in the way overrated dept, too).

by Anonymousreply 45503/19/2013

Oh VC, so nice to see you haven't changed... you still have that ugly gash on your face called a mouth.

by Anonymousreply 45603/19/2013

I have pretty much hated Falsettos in all if its incarnations, but I will say this about the Graciela Daniele production, the ending moment was amazing. The backdrops had been these rather insipid, watercolory, greeting card style drops. In the very last moment, the last drop falls to the ground revealing the AIDS Quilt. It was a pretty moving moment considering the schmalz we had just sat through.

by Anonymousreply 45703/19/2013

I wanna know too. how big is the boy in Breakfast at Tiffany's cock?

by Anonymousreply 45803/19/2013

Audra sings everything as if she's on the brink of orgasm.

by Anonymousreply 45903/19/2013

I hated Audra until I saw her live and then I got her and now love her

by Anonymousreply 46003/19/2013

Sorry, but I think Audra has the BEST voice on Broadway now. At least it has character unlike Kel, or Sutt, or Laura, who all sound generic.

by Anonymousreply 46103/19/2013

Just keep her away from Dreamgirls!

by Anonymousreply 46203/19/2013

Kelli has character when she sings...just can't act...at all...dead eyes

And Laura O. may be bland but Laura B needs to come back to Broadway

by Anonymousreply 46303/19/2013

The question remains: will Steve Kazee actually be showing up to do this week's performances before he is officially replaced next week? (Does Bellevue allow you to sign out for evening passes?)

by Anonymousreply 46403/19/2013

No he won't, R464.

by Anonymousreply 46503/19/2013

[quote] will say this about the Graciela Daniele production, the ending moment was amazing. The backdrops had been these rather insipid, watercolory, greeting card style drops.

For Graciela's production, the March of the Falsettos upstage scrim had lyrics from the show scrawled all over it, like graffiti. I believe the Falsettoland scrim was a crudely drawn American flag. And I do agree that the final moment with the reveal of the quilt was an extraordinary moment. The way I recall it, after Whizzer's death, the cast faced upstage, Whizzer's name was illuminated on the theatre's upstage wall through the scrim, and the American flag scrim dropped to the floor, revealing Whizzer's name surrounded by hundreds of names on the AIDS quilt.

by Anonymousreply 46603/19/2013

The Steve Kazee Troll is really working this board overtime.

by Anonymousreply 46703/19/2013

Count me in as well for "Cock" boys cock, and other other juice

by Anonymousreply 46803/19/2013

R466, close. The scrim was a pastel version of the American Flag with hearts instead of stars.(Yuck!). It wasn't just Wizzer's name, it was his panel on the quilt.

by Anonymousreply 46903/19/2013

Seriously, did Steve Kazee reject your sloppy advances? Is that why there's so much hate?

by Anonymousreply 47003/19/2013

Sometimes I think DL is too jaded for it's own good..."Falsettos" was one of the most moving shows I ever saw and listening to "What Would I Do?" even now can make me cry.

Flame away!

by Anonymousreply 47103/19/2013

Falsettos was dreck. It was always dreck. It will be forgotten dreck 20 years from now.

by Anonymousreply 47203/19/2013

[quote]Laura B needs to come back to Broadway

Why, thank you!

by Anonymousreply 47303/19/2013

[quote]Audra sings everything as if she's on the brink of orgasm.

Funny. Every time she orgasms, it feels like she's on the brink of singing.

by Anonymousreply 47403/19/2013

Thanks r363,for reminding me I am going to see Karen next week in this.

I know people make fun of Karen on this board but she is very determined to forge a non-dancing career for herself and I hope she does well. She is a very very nice woman.

I saw the production this company did of Brian Friel's "Lovers" with the rarely produced second play "Losers" in which the lead actor was sublime.

by Anonymousreply 47503/19/2013

We make fun of Karen because it isjust too easy to make fun of crazy bitch divas. Making fun of someone who is upbeat, down to earth, well-liked and respected by her peers is much more of a challenge.

by Anonymousreply 47603/19/2013

[quote] I know people make fun of Karen on this board but she is very determined to forge a non-dancing career for herself and I hope she does well. She is a very very nice woman.

Good for her!

by Anonymousreply 47703/19/2013

To be fair, I think all of us really do love Karen.

by Anonymousreply 47803/19/2013

I love all my fans here!

Now piss off, I've got a few shows to miss!

by Anonymousreply 47903/19/2013

I remember how much Audra used to tell us in her concerts how much she loved her musician husband.

Then she broke up her marriage for a Mormon. Did she convert?

by Anonymousreply 48003/19/2013

Thanks to the posters who are mentioning Karen Olivo. I love Playbill.com almost as much as I love DL! and I (who have not had the pleasure of seeing her onstage) was a bit - puzzled? by the blog. I feel very bad if anyone gives up a Bway career, HARD as it is to forge same.

DOes she really think that many people read her blog/give a shit, though?

Is it all over some man?? Too bad.

by Anonymousreply 48103/19/2013

Breakfast at Tiffanys has apparently posted its closing notice before it's opened.

by Anonymousreply 48203/20/2013

[quote]Then she broke up her marriage for a Mormon. Did she convert?

he's an ex-mormon

by Anonymousreply 48303/20/2013

He's the ex-Mormon who is also the MAN Karen Olivo is giving up acting because of - she apparently fell HARD for him doing that musical at MTC (MURDER BALLAD) last fall but he was engaged to Audra.

So not only is Olivo not doing the transfer of the show with him, she's getting out of the business altogether so their paths won't cross and she won't be tempted/reminded.

by Anonymousreply 48403/20/2013

Does Audra still have that big dog or did she lose him in custody rights?

by Anonymousreply 48503/20/2013

I hadn't heard any of that dish about Audra being kicked out of Julliard but I will say that even if she wasn't opera material, she definitely has cultivated her voice into one of the most supple of the women currently on Broadway.

I know she missed a fair amount of performances of Porgy but her singing was pretty fantastic and I thought it was her best acted performance so far.

r475, I agree with r476, being the evil bitches we are, there isn't really anything to hang Karen Ziemba on, so we make fun of her for being likable and game for anything. I am glad Karen is doing straight plays as well.

R475, I also saw Lovers this fall and liked it but I thought the first play was a bit too long. The acting was good though. The second play was much funnier and I agree James Riordan was hilarious and moving but I am not sure how good that play is. Might have been a case of actors making it work. Katie Bratza [who was in Cromer's Our Town] was also very good as the spinster.

There must be something about the best supporting actress in a musical award because Janie Sell in the early 70's also won it and quit the business not long after. I think it might have been to get married though, not to honor the crazy inside. She pops up now and again. I think the possiblity is Karen O might stick around and this might have just been a bid for attention.

Many actors think winning a Tony or a major award will change everything about their careers and lives and then fall into a depression when it doesn't happen that way. This could be part of what is going on with Steve K.

by Anonymousreply 48603/20/2013

r482, I don't think it makes sense that a Broadway show would post a closing notice before opening. It is probably a provisional notice in case they want to close it quickly if the reviews aren't good.

by Anonymousreply 48703/20/2013

(R486) is right- It doesn't always work out the way you want.

by Anonymousreply 48803/20/2013

Audra didn't deserve AT LEAST two of those Tonys - starting with the one for "Master Class".

by Anonymousreply 48903/20/2013

My guess the provisional for "Hands" will go up on Friday...

by Anonymousreply 49003/20/2013

it's ON, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 49103/20/2013

Justin Timberlake in talks to play Daddy Warbucks in the new Annie movie.

It sounds like someone wants to kill the movie musical and make sure that it stays dead this time.

by Anonymousreply 49203/20/2013

Prince of Broadway officially postponed (again). They're blaming it on Stro's schedule. Riiiiiiight

by Anonymousreply 49303/20/2013

Audra acted like a banshee in Porgy. Her speech proves she has no class.

by Anonymousreply 49403/20/2013

[quote]Funny. Every time she orgasms, it feels like she's on the brink of singing.

She's faking!

by Anonymousreply 49503/20/2013

R486 Great points.

I love La Ziemba. I first saw her in the Kander and Ebb revue, "And the World Goes 'Round" (the "and" was later dropped, I gather) and even on that small stage, she tore it up--the otherwise somewhat disposable and pretend-smutty "Arthur in the Afternoon" became an amazing tour de force. Looked forward to her in "Steel Pier," but I think she was let down by the material (not her fault--she sold her songs like Chita in "Bring Back Birdie"!). Her work in "Contact" was, I thought, lovely, a nod to Verdon and Massina, but her own style in its poignance. And she did what she was asked in "Curtains." She just hasn't had a role (on Broadway) that has broken her out--maybe she's just too "normal" (at least onstage) to have the freakiness a diva needs. I have her studio record of "110" and like it very much. So, I say, "yay, gang."

The curse of the featured actor/actress in a musical Tony. I wonder if the problem with the younger folk who have won is that they assume (not without some reason, to be fair) that such recognition may lead to larger, starring roles, and when they don't come, they are stuck--not really ready for full-on older character roles, but aging out of the roles for younger performers. And if, as may be the case for some, their youth is one of their major assets, they may not be able to make the transition--just as some fine performers don't really get going until they hit 40, because they are too young for the roles they will be best-suited for. They still may never be leads, but are content to do some of the good character supporting roles until late in life (think Marcia Lewis).

by Anonymousreply 49603/20/2013

[quote]Looked forward to her in "Steel Pier," but I think she was let down by the material

WRONG. WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

by Anonymousreply 49703/20/2013

Stro's restaging Scotsboro Boys in London this Autumn, but it does look like Prince of Broadway will never happen.

by Anonymousreply 49803/20/2013

Come back to Chicago (the city) and do GYPSY, Caroline O'Connor, Caroline O'Connor.

by Anonymousreply 49903/20/2013

Ziemba may have been Stroman's alter ego/muse, but Stro really let her down when she had her do a pole dance during "Running in Place" in Steel Pier.

At the end of the show, when Ziemba's character finally worked up the courage to quit the marathon and leave her husband, it was as if KZ was saying, "I'm walking out on this stinker of a show!"

by Anonymousreply 50003/20/2013

LIASONS!

by Anonymousreply 50103/20/2013

"Now piss off, I've got a few shows to miss! -- by: Audra Ann, Part Time Actress Full Time Diva!"

Now, THAT'S funny.

"Audra didn't deserve AT LEAST two of those Tonys - starting with the one for Master Class."

Agreed, and the other one she definitely didn't deserve to win for was PORGY. It's interesting how someone like Audra can be a truly great artist and yet also be overrated, insofar as being praised to high heaven and winning tons of awards even for performances that don't deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 50203/20/2013

Will BALLROOM ever get revived after all of the developmental runs and readings?

Hopefully it doesn't go the way of Dear World, a show that Tyne Daly also would have been suited to.

by Anonymousreply 50303/20/2013

Love Tyne, but she couldn't sing the score.

by Anonymousreply 50403/20/2013

r496: KZ also scored in NEVER GONNA DANCE. A sweet show with a game but colorless cast, KZ was the only cast member with pizazz, pep and personality. She socked over her one big number, "Shimmy (?) With You" with Racey & Lemenger as if to say "Watch this, kids. THIS is the way to do it!"

Didn't Nancy Lemenger retire shortly after NEVER GONNA DANCE folded?

by Anonymousreply 50503/20/2013

"Ziemba may have been Stroman's alter ego/muse, but Stro really let her down when she had her do a pole dance during "Running in Place" in Steel Pier."

That's nothing. What about that ghastly pas de deux with a gate Stroman choreographed for Ziemba in the NYCO revival of 110 In The Shade?

by Anonymousreply 50603/20/2013

"Will BALLROOM ever get revived after all of the developmental runs and readings?"

Why should it? The show is flawed in concept (ballroom dancing shuts out the audience), the score is a dud and the ending is ridiculous. The audience is asked to accept Bea's decision to be a back-street woman, behavior that would be unacceptable in real-life (would YOU condone it in a friend?) and and even more so in a musical. Fifty Percent is one of the most mis-judged theater songs ever written.

by Anonymousreply 50703/20/2013

[quote]Didn't Nancy Lemenger retire shortly after NEVER GONNA DANCE folded?

Did several shows in stock including Cassie in A CHORUS LINE and Charity in SWEET CHARITY. The last few years Nancy had been studying acting and working on Shakespeare monologues.. has she since retired?

by Anonymousreply 50803/20/2013

R507 there have been revisions since BALLROOM was originally on Broadway. The production in the early 1990s at the Long Beach Civic Light Opera with Tyne Daly and Charles Durning worked, and worked very well with the changes.

by Anonymousreply 50903/20/2013

"Never Gonna Dance" looked like a college production with Equity Guest Artist Karen Ziemba.

by Anonymousreply 51003/20/2013

WHET Noah Racey, who I thought was supposed to be The Next Big Thing in song-and-dance-man roles?

by Anonymousreply 51103/20/2013

Is Ballroom the first musical based on a TV movie? Could perhaps count Man of La Mancha?

by Anonymousreply 51203/20/2013

Audra didn't deserve the Tony for Carousel either. It wasn't her performance, it was the novelty of a black actress playing Carrie. She was the least humorous Carrie I've ever seen.

And I thought La Chanze was better as Sarah in Ragtime. Certainly Marin and Stokes and even Peter Friedman deservd Tonys more than Audra on that one.

by Anonymousreply 51303/20/2013

Ziemba is a competent workhorse who would be fine in the hinterlands. She doesn't have the spark of a Broadway star. Much like Charlotte d'Amboise.

by Anonymousreply 51403/20/2013

Gang, a stage is a stage.. wherever you go!!

xo Karen

by Anonymousreply 51503/20/2013

Kathleen Chalfant, who's her gf?

She pings more than Cherry Jones

by Anonymousreply 51603/20/2013

R516 Have you figured out yet why everyone hates you?

by Anonymousreply 51703/20/2013

Fifty Percent is a classic Broadway song. Loudon knocked it out of the park. If Sweeney didn't open the same time, she would have won her second Tony.

I think the problem many people had was that they didn't keep it more like the movie. They should have used some of the songs that were in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 51803/20/2013

R517 why because I outed Kathleen Chalfant?

by Anonymousreply 51903/20/2013

R159 Guess again.

by Anonymousreply 52003/20/2013

Ballroom was too boring originally....lots of dance numbers at the club and not enough exposition about Bea.

by Anonymousreply 52103/20/2013

this Chalfont shit is tired

by Anonymousreply 52203/20/2013

SUPERMAN is a ok. It has a fun score, sort of faux-Burt Bacharach. But at least in the first performance, everyone was either tentative (Edward Watts), over-the-top (David Pittu) or just plain under-rehearsed (Will Swenson, who forgot a lyric and then couldn't stop laughing about it, although he looks good in a suit).

Of course the score has the show-stopping song, You Got Possibilities, which needed more comic timing from no-name Alli Mauzey who seems to be channeling Megan Mullally. People who love Linda Lavin's recording will be sorely disappointed by this rendition.

Rando needed more time to make this work, and please, bring back the binders so we can at least hear the songs, as was the intention of Encores to begin with, and not these full production wannabes they've become. Speaking of hearing, the miking was horrible tonight.

Hopefully, it'll all gel by Sunday night.

by Anonymousreply 52303/20/2013

Having worked on a few Encores over the years, I can tell you that there is virtually next to no tech time.

After about 8 days of rehearsal in the studio, the actors are on stage for a day with just some of the tech elements and no costumes.

Second day of tech has all the elemnts but by that evening you are doing your Invited Dress!

And then the next day you are back to limited tech elements (no costumes) in the afternoon and then....BAM! Opening night.

by Anonymousreply 52403/20/2013

When Encores did "Bye Bye Birdie" Karen Ziemba was Rosie, and she was excellent. I think she's underrated.

by Anonymousreply 52503/20/2013

Who is Meg Hilty's bf? She says they hav eben together a year now..makes me think she left Kazee for this guy. Maybe this was the catalyst for SK's problems, made worse by the passing of his mom?

by Anonymousreply 52603/20/2013

Re Ziemba, I've only seen her once, but she was great. This was in San Francisco - 2005? A musical based on the film "The Opposite of Sex" was "trying out" at Magic Theater (rougly equivalent to on Off-Bway house, size-wise.) Don't think it went anywhere (help me out, sophisticated NY theatre gays?) but Ziemba was superb.

Also in the cast Jeff McCarthy, and the lovely and somewhat talented David Burtka! (My roommie and I followed him about 4 blocks (how tacky! I almost NEVER follow people from the stage door) to the apartment building (in the Marina; they have a lot of short-term rentals) he was staying; we THOUGHT we saw NPH inside, waiting for him.

Heh-heh - good times!

by Anonymousreply 52703/21/2013

IN TROUSERS!

by Anonymousreply 52803/21/2013

[quote]makes me think she left Kazee for this guy. Maybe this was the catalyst for SK's problems, made worse by the passing of his mom?

I think the death of his mother and the pressures of fame and 8 shows a week got to him more than the loss of fat ass Megan Hilty. (will Megan work again once Smash is cancelled?)

by Anonymousreply 52903/21/2013

They made a musical of Opposite of Sex?!? That is one of the funniest, most underrated movies. I can't imagine a musical based on it, but I hope it goes somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 53003/21/2013

it didn't r530...they tried it out a few places but it died on the road.

by Anonymousreply 53103/21/2013

Karen Olivio---does she be a crazy bitch?

by Anonymousreply 53203/21/2013

"Breakfast at Tiffany's" review is out. Ouch.

by Anonymousreply 53303/21/2013

R527- you are a full blown stalker. Is this something a lot of people do?

by Anonymousreply 53403/21/2013

Nancy Lemenager just got back from playing the lead in the stage adaptation of SENSE & SENSIBILITY at the Rep in St. Louis. Before that she did a new Theresa Rebeck play in Louisville at the Humana. She doesn't do musicals anymore, but works a lot in straight plays in regional theaters. After NEVER GONNA DANCE, she was the first replacement Brenda in MOVIN' OUT on Broadway and then did a turn as Velma in CHICAGO. Then hung up her dancing shoes.

Noah Racey still dances, but would prefer to choreograph. He did the SHOW BOAT at Goodspeed and will choreograph it again next fall at the Asolo. He'll be at the Asolo later this spring in a musical piece he created, with Jeff Calhoun directing.

by Anonymousreply 53503/21/2013

r534-if he took note of where David Burtka lived with the intention of going back there or further invading his privacy then I'd call that full-blown stalking. Following somebody down the street just once on a whim without bothering them isn't a very nice thing to do to somebody and I wouldn't advise it but I wouldn't think it was legally actionable.

by Anonymousreply 53603/21/2013

I just got tickets for The Nance. Judging from where I'm going to be sitting this show is having a respectable advance sale.

by Anonymousreply 53703/21/2013

Noah Racy is currently in THE MUSIC MAN for Seattle 5th Avenue.

by Anonymousreply 53803/21/2013

Karen Morrow and Charles Nelson Reilly joined original Clark Kent/Superman Bob Holiday in a summer stock production of IT'S A BIRD.. IT'S A PLANE.. IT'S SUPERMAN at both Kansas City Starlight and the St. Louis Muny back in the 60's. I would have loved to have seen that!

So Ed doesn't fly in this production?

Friends saw this last night. Can't wait to hear what they thought. Would trade what I am seeing seeing next week, the Eric Rosen KC Rep stripped down, no scenery piano and electric guitar production of CAROUSEL for Encores! Superman. In an instant.

by Anonymousreply 53903/21/2013

Bernard Delfont, who's his gf?

by Anonymousreply 54003/21/2013

Superman makes for a benignly pleasant, if thin evening. I have always liked the score--which is a handful of good songs and a handful of duds, but with fun arrangements. The book is basically non-existent-more so here in a cut version--once the set up is in place--theres not a lot of plot. There are some clever touches throughout, but its still a pretty tepid event. Watts looks right in the costumes which does half the job--is an ok singer-and is finding a way into laying the dull Kent and the stolid Superman without veering too far into commenting on it-which is a hard job. Pittu overplaying, which is ok here-its a cartoon after all, Swensons got the right idea, but not in great voice. Alli Mauzey is the only one who channels that 60's musical style (although is she the office sexpot-or second banana??)-I think the fact that they basically no longer carry scripts and everything is staged-now only magnifies the deficiencies of second/third rate shows But, since, its Encores, everyone will genuflect and cream all over it because apparently thats whats expected.

by Anonymousreply 54103/21/2013

Except for two or three songs-the Ballroom score was abysmal--with all the trite material going to the two ballroom singers--dreadful Also-you are only allowed to produce musicals that appeal to teenage girls now, so no chance for this--pitch it to the York

by Anonymousreply 54203/21/2013

"The Opposite of Sex" was later done at Williamstown Theatre Festival. The woman who played KZ's role was a dead ringer for her.

Kerry Butler was the lead in both productions.

The show was written by Douglas J. Cohen, who also werote the musical "No Way to Treat a lady".

by Anonymousreply 54303/21/2013

Kaitlyn Hopkins was the KZ doppelganger at Williamstrown.

by Anonymousreply 54403/21/2013

Jesus "Ghost" is going on tour? A 3 month euroflop? Is Miles Wilkin that desperate?

by Anonymousreply 54503/21/2013

Honey, we will tour anything... we will go non union and use the biggest most colorful banner that reads DIRECT FROM B*R*O*A*D*W*A*Y!!

by Anonymousreply 54603/21/2013

The demo for The Opposite of Sex is awful. Kerry Butler's voice isnt suited to those faux sondheim piano-only underwritten off broadway scores.

by Anonymousreply 54703/21/2013

For the actors here, can anyone explain how Equity lost control of national tours? For such a strong union, I don't know how it has been allowed to happen.

by Anonymousreply 54803/21/2013

[quote] For the actors here, can anyone explain how Equity lost control of national tours? For such a strong union, I don't know how it has been allowed to happen.

Cause actors want to work and there's plenty of musical theatre grads who will go out on a non-eq tour, try to work in NYC and go back home.

by Anonymousreply 54903/21/2013

Saw Superman last night.

I thought it was a pretty terrible show that should really just be left in moth balls.

I was shocked that Encores! would even dig it up. The book is cheesy and dated, the music is forgettable, and the cast they assembled was (with the exception of Chase & Pittu) total nobodies.

There's really no better old shows to do? There's really no names to cast anymore?

Snore!

by Anonymousreply 55003/21/2013

Who's "Chase?"

by Anonymousreply 55103/21/2013

He got his Wills confused - (Swenson/Chase). It happens.

by Anonymousreply 55203/21/2013

Melissa Errico out the whole weekend in PASSION. Trouble in paradise already?

by Anonymousreply 55303/21/2013

Has anyone seen the Pippin revival?

by Anonymousreply 55403/21/2013

[quote] He got his Wills confused - (Swenson/Chase). It happens.

Yes, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 55503/21/2013

[qyote] was shocked that Encores! would even dig it up.

That was the original concept of Encores! Shows that no one would revive or hadn't been seen in decades. Now everything is geared toward a Broadway transfer.

by Anonymousreply 55603/21/2013

Will Chase

Will Swenson

Audra MacDonald

Karen Olivio

Christian Borle

Sutton Foster

Why's it so hard for a Broadway star to stay married? Are there any who are just happily married?

by Anonymousreply 55703/21/2013

Michelle Pawk and John Dossett?

by Anonymousreply 55803/21/2013

r507, sheesh, puritanical much?

by Anonymousreply 55903/21/2013

Bourle was doing Legally co-star Bundy so Sut turned around and rode Bart's cock out of town on FRAKENSTEIN

MacDonald threw over her husband for a chance to get at Swenson's timid mormon cock.. does he make her wear the Mormon undies or did he leave the cult?

Chase is a major pussy hound. Can't keep his cock in his pants.. will be interesting to see how the Messing affair plays out. She pulled a MacDonald and dumped her hubby by the wayside.

Olivo, now serving up hand cut potato cakes at Arby's, fell hard for Swenson and wanted some of that timid cock but he was smitten with Audra Ann. The fall out from that? Karen's second husband and her recently remodeled granite counter kitchen.

Now when you are talkin' about solid marriages, look no further that Hunter and pe wife 'Cuddles' a major ballbuster who manages to keep him in line.

by Anonymousreply 56003/21/2013

Marion Mazzie & Jason Danieley

by Anonymousreply 56203/21/2013

Not currently on Broadway but William H. Macy and Felicity Huffman.

by Anonymousreply 56303/21/2013

Nia Vardalos IS Illya Darling!

You heard it here first.

by Anonymousreply 56403/21/2013

Clyde Alves and Robin Hurder

by Anonymousreply 56503/21/2013

[quote] Nia Vardalos IS Illya Darling! You heard it here first.

I always knew she was a whore!

by Anonymousreply 56603/21/2013

I'd like to know how equity lost control of tours too. I'm not talking non-union, I'm talking about these embarrassing "tiered" farces that pay about 600 a week. Why is equity unable or unwilling to stop this?

by Anonymousreply 56703/21/2013

Joanna Gleason and Chris Sarandon

by Anonymousreply 56803/21/2013

Non-union tours. I think a lot of this happened during the Reagan years. After Reagan busted the air traffic controller's union, a lot of unions made major concessions under the threat of breaking the union entirely. Certainly 820 did.

by Anonymousreply 56903/21/2013

[quote] Joanna Gleason and Chris Sarandon

After both of their two other marriages broke up.

by Anonymousreply 57003/21/2013

Re Ballroom. I saw it at a Wednesday matinee. Loudon was battling a bug at the time and they cut her opening #. Then, at the end of the intermissionless 90 mins (I think), the lights came up and all of the little old matinee ladies were horrified and confused because they all saw the tv movie and knew that Bea was supposed to die at the end. They were waiting for it. They knew it was coming. Except it didn't happen. I overhead one older woman tell her companion on the way out 'I guess she dies when she gets home.'

Best part of the show was seeing those older dancers hoofin it up and having a ball. Funny thing is, if they revived it today alot of the young dancers who were on bway at the time could fill those roles: Sandahl Bergman, Laurent Giroux, Michael Kubala, David Warren Gibson, Tina Paul, Candace Tovar, Susan Danielle.... they could all come out of retirement or semi-retirement!

by Anonymousreply 57103/21/2013

Did Vito Vincent the 'cat' in BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S get fired on opening night?? NPR reported that one of the cats was let go.

Show likely to close anyway.. I still want to see Cory in all his glory!

by Anonymousreply 57203/21/2013

How is preggers Kelli O'Hara going to do FAR FROM HEAVEN at Playwrights in May and June? Are they gonna have her in caftans or something?

by Anonymousreply 57303/21/2013

No budget for earrings.

by Anonymousreply 57403/21/2013

KZ and her hubby Bill Tatum have been married 29 years... but he was married to another woman when they first met. She insists they didn't date until he was separated from his first wife.

It's all revealed in the 1984 Playboy spread (for those that actually read the articles that go with the pictures).

by Anonymousreply 57503/21/2013

Yeah Superman is not a very good show but some nice melodies..but no showstoppers..it needs more production numbers. Pittu came off best....the cutout flying Superman was fun....but you now get more for your bucks at Encores without actors holding scripts and using costumes and some sets. The orchestra was brilliant. Transfer=no way. But a good production considering they only had 2 weeks of rehearsals.

by Anonymousreply 57603/21/2013

Cinderella ruled a revival.

Watch out, Pippin!

by Anonymousreply 57703/21/2013

I don't understand about those non-Equity productions either. Don't actors who participate in them get blackballed?

by Anonymousreply 57803/21/2013

r572, it turned out to be a bitchcat.

by Anonymousreply 57903/21/2013

R576- So no script holding at all? In past Encores! cast would lose the scripts as the show went along. Now it's no holding scripts at all?

As far as a transfer, not even if it were a pre scheduled limited engagement? Like 10 weeks? Similar to what Roundabout does?

by Anonymousreply 58003/21/2013

re: Equity

I go to a LOT of theater in LA, and they have something here called "Equity Waiver" (which I think only relates to Los Angeles County) that applies to theaters with fewer than 100 seats. At those performances, the programs always make it clear when one of the actors is a member of Equity (usually with an asterisk after his or her name.) So presumably the "waiver" means they're not covered by Equity rules.

I also go to a lot of regional theater (where there are more than 99 seats), and the same asterisk rule seems to apply. But when I attended the national tour of "Catch Me If You Can," which I understand is a non-Equity show, there was no such designation for any of the actors.

So, does that mean that the regional theater that includes the Equity designation is an Equity-sanctioned show?

Also, the "Catch" program included the logos and designations for several other (non-performer) theater-related unions, so how does that work? Why do the other unions particpate in a show that is partially non-union?

by Anonymousreply 58203/21/2013

All non-profit Equity regional theatres are allowed a quotient of non-equity performers. This is one of the ways to get your Equity card - you become a Membership Candidate, and once you have accumulated 50 weeks of work in Equity productions, you get your card.

Even Roundabout, in the heart of the theatre district, is allowed to use non-union performers in non-speaking "extra" roles. In their revival of A VIEW FROMT HE BRIDGE about 15 years ago, they had around eight "neighbors" milling about during the street scenes. They were non-union.

by Anonymousreply 58303/21/2013

What R583 said. I have several friends college students, who worked in a regional theatre and earned their equity cards that way. The leads in the shows were almost always guest equity artists.

by Anonymousreply 58403/21/2013

Equity tours of crummy shows like Ghost and Catch Me would never happen so there may as well be non-Equity versions. Just think of it as community theater on wheels.

by Anonymousreply 58503/21/2013

[quote] Equity tours of crummy shows like Ghost and Catch Me would never happen

You say that like it's a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 58603/21/2013

Brantley liked SUPERMAN

by Anonymousreply 58703/21/2013

I think SUPERMAN has a terrific score. Way better than Sondheim's last two crapfests, BOUNCE and PASSION.

by Anonymousreply 58803/21/2013

I saw the original as a boy and thought it was terrific. I still have the cast album. Looking forward to seeing it Saturday.

by Anonymousreply 58903/21/2013

A friend took me to the MAC awards. Sweet Jesus why did I go? Hellish evening with untalented cabaret "stars" (Marilyn Maye excepted).

I did not see mlop.

by Anonymousreply 59003/21/2013

R590 They give an award for a makeup company?

by Anonymousreply 59103/21/2013

At a couple of moments, the actors in Superman hold pages, but it's supposed to look normal since they're in a newsroom, or in a science lab with lots of paper around.

by Anonymousreply 59203/21/2013

[quote]I'd like to know how equity lost control of tours too. I'm not talking non-union, I'm talking about these embarrassing "tiered" farces that pay about 600 a week. Why is equity unable or unwilling to stop this?

Equity President Nick Wyman has almost exclusively worked on Broadway Production contracts, and is obviously dim enough to believe the road producers (crooks and liars) who have convinced him that paying actors (who are allegedly at the top of their game) $80. per performance is a valid career move for them! Impossible! baby sitters and brunch waiters earn more, and they don't have to leave home to do it!

Take the producers up on their offer! Let them TRY to find talented people to do non-Equity tours for peanuts! They will never be able to keep the shows going when people get sick of the shitty pay and quit! It will cost them a fortune recasting and enduring the crappy level of talent. I'm sorry, i'm an actor, but I won't leave home for any $800 a week tour. One hundred bucks a show! After taxes, it's less than you make working a few catering shifts! Wyman should be tarred and feathered. Where is the outrage!!??

by Anonymousreply 59303/21/2013

God, I hate Lady Brantley. What a tiresome bore.

I saw SUPERMAN tonight and our own R541 gave a better, more concise review than the Times did. Or could.

SUPERMAN is a nicely produced, effervescent, glistening bubble that evaporates on impact.

by Anonymousreply 59403/22/2013

The Times liked Hardbody even though kept boy Jesse21 didn't. Will he ever review Cinderella? I just can't go see a show unless he approves.

Transferring Superman (not that I believe it would ever be in the cards) would be an atrocious atrocious idea. People will go see this show for nostalgia's sake (it was packed with 60+ men wgo grew up on the comics). And what works for a weekend low budget concert would never NEVER fill a Broadway house for a week.

by Anonymousreply 59503/22/2013

Hey kids! Another thread draws to a close. Thus is the magic of theatre!

Isn't it about time for a revival of CONTACT? I'm just saying.

Go second act a great big Bway show today!

by Anonymousreply 59603/22/2013

For a while today it looked like this thread was closed, but it seems to be just fine now. I guess DL burped.

But we DO need our beloved OP to start a new thread seeing as this one is about done!

by Anonymousreply 59703/22/2013

The new Entertainment Weekly has an article about William Ivey Long. Mostly it's related to his costumes for "Cinderella," but it also takes a look back at some of his other stuff (including Siegfried and Roy!)

by Anonymousreply 59803/22/2013

I was R590 there, hanging lights before the show and taking photos during the peormance. Just glad do ray milla had good sense to stay awat.

Maryann 1

by Anonymousreply 59903/22/2013

"Mormon" reviews from London. Decidedly mixed.

by Anonymousreply 60003/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.