Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Parade's End (HBO/BBC Production)--Anyone watching?

Starring DL fave Benedict Cumberbatch! Watched part 1 last night, and it was a little hard to follow. I'll give part 2 a try, but if it doesn't grab me by then, I'm done!

by Anonymousreply 1503/13/2013

I also watched Part I, and felt it was very slow. I taped all five parts, so can watch at will. Very different pacing than Downton; it may be a truer depiction of life around WWI than the soap opera feel of the Abbey

by Anonymousreply 103/07/2013

It may be worth watching through as there are some good scenes and moments. But mainly it suffers from being about an extremely troubled marriage that while fascinating doesn't quite make clear sense and a from-afar love affair that we are told is extremely important to both parties but we never quite see why, or even see the two of them together enough to accept that they are so profoundly drawn to each other.

by Anonymousreply 203/07/2013

Just finished watching all of Parade's End. The first two installments were, indeed, hard to follow. But beginning with the third chapter, all the expository elements come together and the narrative achieves clarity and momentum. Stick with it---it pays off handsomely.

by Anonymousreply 303/07/2013

I was actually let down by the last hour. The novel (published as four but really one) is one of my favorites, so I didn't have any problem following the first few hours but realize why most people would if they hadn't read the novel. My problem was that by cutting out the last of the four books entirely, the story didn't come together as it should have. Of course,the fourth book would have been almost impossible to film. What this production proved to me is that a film can never really capture a novel in full, especially one like PE that is largely delivered through the thoughts of its characters.

by Anonymousreply 403/07/2013

I want to see it but I don't have the channel. When do you think they'll make a region 1 DVD? Will HBO own the rights in the U.S. for a year or more?

by Anonymousreply 503/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 603/12/2013

Was it supposed to be a comedy? Some of the dialog was embarrassingly bad. Beautiful, but a forgettable failure.

by Anonymousreply 703/12/2013

I watched the first two parts and it was hard to follow. Most of the actors are simply unattractive and unsympathetic.

by Anonymousreply 803/12/2013

Excruciatingly dull. Bottom drawer Stoppard and Benedict Humperdinkabatch doesn't do uptight as nearly as well as someone like Damian Lewis. It's a bore. Not even the cinematography can save this one.

by Anonymousreply 903/12/2013

Such a bore. And Cumberbatch is so unattractive. Is he even attractive by British standards?

by Anonymousreply 1003/12/2013

I did think Benedict did a great job in the scne where his whore of a wife tells him that his mother has died. About 100 different emotions seemed to come over his face. And I finally saw what his DL fans were so in love with. But he needs a chin implant.

The wife and her mother are both just awful, cunty cunts.

I do love seeing Al Capone as McMaster, he's small but looks like he throws a mean fuck.

by Anonymousreply 1103/12/2013

I watched this too & wondered why there were no threads. Was I the only one that missed Rupert Everett as the brother?

I thought it illustrated the British class system & the involvement in WWI in a way that makes DA seem laughable (not that it wouldn't anyway), but the movie makes the wife seem so monstrous that it's a wonder he didn't kill her.

Anyone who's read the novel (or understood the movie better than I did), please explain to me why when his reputation starts going to shit (his checks get rejected but that ugly putz that wanted to fuck his wife) he doesn't stand up for himself. Was he so distraught that his wife was a ho that he did nothing to save his own name? Even his scheming brother tried to look out for him in ways that he wouldn't look out for himself.

by Anonymousreply 1203/12/2013

The photography was not kind to the actors. Too high-def for those wigs and makeup and costumes. Rebecca Hall looks like a donkey and Benedict isn't even as attractive as Dan Stevens.

It made me appreciate Downton Abbey even more, even if it's not nearly as literate.

by Anonymousreply 1303/12/2013

Rebecca Hall's character is funny, smart and sexy. Doesn't make sense that Cumberbatch's character wouldn't fuck her every now and then even if he hates her. All the insults that she flings at Cumberbatch's would-be love interest (Girl Guide, patron saint of regular bowel movements, etc. ) ring true. And the actress who plays the love interest is flat-chested and forgettable.

by Anonymousreply 1403/12/2013

Huge disappointment. Some fine acting went for nothing amid all the clunking overlit melodrama. I found it unwatchably bad, and a sad waste of talent and money.

Mysteriously, the press here in the UK looked the other way. Maybe they thought the BBC had suffered enough for the year.

by Anonymousreply 1503/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!