Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Was Hitler elected "democratically, by the people?"

Rand Paul said this during his filibuster.

Datalounge historians, is this true? I suspect it's bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 1603/07/2013

To an extant, yes, he gave a troubled Germany a boost with some economic voodoo, thus wooing the people.

Paul Rand is a Hitler type, he scares me.

by Anonymousreply 103/07/2013

He came to power in 1933 as Chancellor- after the Nazi's won the largest vote among many parties, but nowhere near a majority. He consolidated power after the death of Hindenburg (the President) and he dissolved the Reichstag (gov't) and later bit by bit courts.

Rand Paul should not be in gov't. He is a first string barking fruitcake.

by Anonymousreply 203/07/2013

No. The German system did have direct elections of the leader. He lost to Hindenburg in the presidential election in 1932, although he did get 35% of the vote. It was the president's job to ask parliament leaders to form governments as their fortunes waxed and waned. In 1932 two parliamentary elections failed to get a successful governing coalition and despite the fact the Nazi total began to drop in the second, Hindenburg invited Hitler to become Chancellor on the advice of von Papen, who thought Hitler would be unable to govern long. Instead, they staged the Reichstag fires, after which Nazi's total went to 43.89%. Hitler convened the Reichstag but used provisions of legislation passed after the Reichstag fire to exclude the left parties. They then voted his cabinet dictatorial power.

by Anonymousreply 303/07/2013

The idiot was invoking Godwin's law reinterpreted for Congressional douchebags.

by Anonymousreply 403/07/2013

Good answers r2 & r3. I'm surprised that people actually know the facts about this. I'm used to people who only undertand Hitler in an almost cartoonish way - and they certainly aren't aware of the political/economic circumstances that fostered the growth of the NSDAP and his rise to Chancellor.

by Anonymousreply 503/07/2013

So in short, r3. Hitler wasn't "elected" at all. He was appointed and then some nasty political tricks eliminated the opposition.

Hence he was always a dictator who took the power- he wasn't put there by the majority as Rand said.

by Anonymousreply 603/07/2013

And wasn't the guy who appointed him, the same one who BEAT him, dying and already senile?

by Anonymousreply 703/07/2013

Here you go

by Anonymousreply 803/07/2013

[quote]So in short, [R3]. Hitler wasn't "elected" at all. He was appointed and then some nasty political tricks eliminated the opposition.

He was elected in the sense that his party had the largest number of seats in the parliament. Typically, the leader of the largest party has the opportunity to form a government.

by Anonymousreply 903/07/2013

Old black lesbian troll strikes again. F&F her shit and move on. She won't be happy until she ruins this site as well.

"No, it is a specific Black Lesbian troll who infiltrates many of the gossip blogs with her racial preoccupations. She's renowned with gossip lovers. Asian guys and gals aren't venting these issues, especially on DL. Younger people of color aren't focusing on these issues today. It's an elder. Chris Rock went off about this during one of his tours. It annoys her that Asians, even immigrants have an easier time assimilating into mainstream White culture.

She hasn't done it in awhile but she used to affect this immigrant Asian woman persona who screamed in caps using old stereotyped vernacular. It was some of her best work.

Her other preoccupations include Germans and Jews, Trayvon Martin and White Americans. She poses as protagonist and antagonist to get people riled up. Her trolldom is legendary on Dlisted,LChat, ROL and X17 just to name a few."

by Anonymousreply 1003/07/2013

Yes

by Anonymousreply 1103/07/2013

"Senile" is not a true medical condition. One has to be more specific.

by Anonymousreply 1203/07/2013

[quote] To an extant,

Hitler is extant.

by Anonymousreply 1303/07/2013

r10, get a grip.

by Anonymousreply 1403/07/2013

r10, I was wondering why all of a sudden there are posts about race and such. I figured it was a troll.

by Anonymousreply 1503/07/2013

I think r10 may be correct. But why are we talking about it in this thread?

by Anonymousreply 1603/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.