Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Olivia Chow 'considering' run for mayor of Toronto

Global News

Thursday, March 07, 2013

TORONTO – Olivia Chow, federal MP for Trinity-Spadina, says she is “considering” a running for mayor of Toronto in the next municipal election.

During an interview on CBC, Chow said she is “listening to people’s advice” as the city moves closer to the next municipal election in 2014.

“Maybe I want to be a mayor, too, but maybe not,” Chow said. “Perhaps I won’t be able to do it. I am considering it.”

Chow is currently the NDP’s Transport Critic in Ottawa and prior to entering federal politics was a city councillor in Ward 20.

She was a long-time city councillor serving from 1991 to 2005 in Toronto before she left for federal politics.

“I love the city, I love to come home to Toronto, but what I’m going to be doing, I don’t know yet,” Chow said on CBC noting that her late husband Jack Layton wanted to be the mayor of Toronto.

Recent polls, including released in November by Forum Research, suggest Chow would in fact win the mayoralty in a race against current mayor Rob Ford.

by Anonymousreply 603/07/2013

Ah so

by Anonymousreply 103/07/2013

In other news, a moth farted today.

by Anonymousreply 203/07/2013

If she leaves, it may be another blow to Thomas Mulcair's NDP.

But she could be the one person to beat Rob Ford's lard ass out of Toronto.

by Anonymousreply 303/07/2013

She doesn't strike me as having leadership qualities. She's no doubt counting on the voter's contempt for Ford to compensate for her shortcomings.

by Anonymousreply 403/07/2013

And also likely on the fact that she is ahead in the polls, R4, as well as being a high-profile name in Toronto, as well as the widow of the beloved NDP Leader Jack Layton.

by Anonymousreply 503/07/2013

What else have we got from the News No One Gives a Flying Fuck About newsdesk, Janice?

by Anonymousreply 603/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!