Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anyone had any virus attacks lately?

The last few mornings I've woken up and had notices of a virus blocked and quarantined. It seems to be coming through my yahoo account, at least I'm guessing, which I usually leave open all night. I usually don't turn off my computer.

by Anonymousreply 2303/08/2013

No, but I've had lots of weird connectivity issues that have been freaking me out. The only 'virus'-related thing that happened was that a friend 'sent' me some idiotic link that originated from the FOX network - - she claims that she didn't send it, that, 'maybe it was a virus that went all through her email'.

by Anonymousreply 103/07/2013

I haven't noticed virus attacks but, after years of having my yahoo account and virtually no spams, as of last Tuesday, I'm averaging about 100 spams a day. How does that happen???

by Anonymousreply 203/07/2013

Stupid question; What is the point the spammers are trying to achieve? I mean, does anyone really go to those spam links?

by Anonymousreply 303/07/2013

R3, yes people do that. There are a lot of clueless folks out there and they keep the tech support industry alive.

by Anonymousreply 403/07/2013

People at yahoo are angry about the telecommuting issue. Sabotage.

by Anonymousreply 503/07/2013

Something is definitely going on with Yahoo. Really annoying

by Anonymousreply 603/07/2013

Yes, things have been weird lately.

by Anonymousreply 703/07/2013

Had like 50 junk mails today.

by Anonymousreply 803/07/2013

Herpes, out of nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 903/07/2013

[quote]I haven't noticed virus attacks but, after years of having my yahoo account and virtually no spams, as of last Tuesday, I'm averaging about 100 spams a day. How does that happen???

Judging from my Gmail spam folder, spam has about tripled in the last 7 to 10 days.

by Anonymousreply 1003/07/2013

R2 here. I suppose it's good to know that it's happening over at gmail as well but geez, what IS going on???

by Anonymousreply 1103/08/2013

Horrible flu, and I had the flu shot.

by Anonymousreply 1203/08/2013

We are under attack!!!

by Anonymousreply 1303/08/2013

r3 As long as there are 60-year-old grandmas learning to use the internet, there'll be people going to the spam sites.

by Anonymousreply 1403/08/2013

[quote] I usually don't turn off my computer.

Apparently the longer you leave your computer connected to the internet, the easier it is for people to hack you.

I have an external modem, which I always disconnect from the computer when I'm not using the computer.

Email virus are a different matter - if they are around, they are around.

by Anonymousreply 1503/08/2013

Yesterday, I got a bunch of messages from Yahoo saying that they were unable to send a bunch of messages (which I never sent). I looked at the names of people someone was e-mailing from my account, and it was not just people in my address book, but people I e-mailed once years ago, like former professors. Anyway, it turned out to be an e-mail "from" me with a link inside. Didn't click on the link, but googled the name and it took me to a cosmetics company. What?

by Anonymousreply 1603/08/2013

No viruses, but my router keeps getting "ATTACK DETECTED-PING FLOODING" messages on its log. And I'm having trouble keeping all of my devices connected at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 1703/08/2013

I received three emails this week from people who I know use Windows PCs.

Just junk email with no attached note or anything..

All were sent to me and several other people the same time whom I don't know.

Two of them were sent in the middle the night when I know most people are asleep.

by Anonymousreply 1803/08/2013

>>>Didn't click on the link, but googled the name and it took me to a cosmetics company. What?

Same here! But it was linked via FOX. WTF.

>>And I'm having trouble keeping all of my devices connected at the same time.

Also, the same.

by Anonymousreply 1903/08/2013

I got the same one I think, r1, also through FOXNews.

It was for some kind a raspberry anti aging goop, I think.

by Anonymousreply 2003/08/2013

Those problems with E-mail are not virus infections, but worms. Many worms that have been created are designed only to spread, and don't attempt to change the systems they pass through. However, as the Morris worm and Mydoom showed, even these "payload free" worms can cause major disruption by increasing network traffic and other unintended effects. A "payload" is code in the worm designed to do more than spread the worm–it might delete files on a host system (e.g., the ExploreZip worm), encrypt files in a cryptoviral extortion attack, or send documents via e-mail. A very common payload for worms is to install a backdoor in the infected computer to allow the creation of a "zombie" computer under control of the worm author. Networks of such machines are often referred to as botnets and are very commonly used by spam senders for sending junk email or to cloak their website's address.

by Anonymousreply 2103/08/2013

I haven't, but my neighbor's computer fell victim to a rogue virus. She asked for my help and it took me a couple of hours to remove that tough little bugger. The rogue program was called XP Defender 2012, and it had the winwebsec security shield logo.

by Anonymousreply 2203/08/2013

Don't know if it's a virus, but I haven't been able to access Capital One's banking page for days.

by Anonymousreply 2303/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.