Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Looking for some recommendations of Phyllis Hyman's music

I was over at a friends house tonight and I heard a song by Phyllis Hyman, Pretty sure it was called Living Alone. I'd never heard any of her music before and I was totally blown away by her voice. I made my friend repeat the song twice for me. Now I can't stop thinking about how amazing her voice was and how it went from pretty low to pretty high. I don't know anything about music so I'm probably not describing it right, but whatever it was, her voice was amazing.

I want to get some of her music for my iPod but I don't know anything about her songs, what's good and what's great. iTunes only gives you like 10 seconds of music and the only computer I have access to right now is my work laptop and YouTube and all of the sites that I've tried to find her music on are blocked.

If anyone could recommend some of her songs I'd be extremely grateful.

by Anonymousreply 1611/03/2013

Also, can anyone recommend a good book about her? I've been reading what I can about her online but I want to know more.

Was she a lesbian? Some of what I read makes me think she might have been? But my gaydar is extraordinary bad sometimes, especially when it comes to women.

Again, thanks

by Anonymousreply 103/07/2013

"Ultimate Phyllis Hyman" seems pretty representative.

by Anonymousreply 203/07/2013

just go to YouTube and search her you can hear all her songs in their entirety

by Anonymousreply 303/07/2013

Her first hit "You Know How To Love Me" is a true classic: it ahows off her vocal skills and is upbeat and happy, as opposed to some her later, more somber songs.

by Anonymousreply 403/07/2013

The Legacy of Phyllis Hyman can be purchased on iTunes. It'a a great collection of her work, all of her best sellers. I love the album, not a bad song on the playlist.

by Anonymousreply 503/07/2013

I love this woman! OP, here are my favorite songs (besides the one you and R4 already mentioned), which span her career:

"Betcha by Golly Wow", "Can't We Fall in Love Again?", "Old Friend", "Gonna Make Changes", "What You Won't Do For Love", "Don't Wanna Change The World", "When You Get Right Down To It", "First Time Together", "Meet Me on the Moon", "I Refuse To Be Lonely", "Sleep on it", "No One Can Love You More"

by Anonymousreply 607/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 707/03/2013

R7 I know you're Clive Davis. Shouldn't you and your liver spots be busy stealing money from other, living recording acts rather than posting here?

by Anonymousreply 807/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 911/02/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1011/02/2013

R8 hilarious

OP go to cable network TV One online site or You tube for her "Unsung" episode & bio

by Anonymousreply 1111/02/2013

The Living All Alone album is great.

by Anonymousreply 1211/02/2013

Such a lovely catalog of music Phyllis left. It's just a shame her career didn't reach higher heights. No reason that someone like her couldn't have had at least 1 #1 song on the hot 100.

by Anonymousreply 1311/02/2013

"Strength of a Woman" is a quite good biography of Phyllis, OP; it's a little rough around the edges, as if the editing wasn't really up to snuff, but it tells her story well. I actually prefer Angela Bofill's voice but enjoy them both very much, and love Phyllis's version of "Betcha By Golly Wow." It's interesting that both of these beautiful, talented women had such tragic lives, and never really "broke through," especially when we have to cope with the likes of Rihanna goat-croaking her way through every other piece of crap on the radio. Who knows what a difference timing would have made?

by Anonymousreply 1411/02/2013

Some of my Phyllis Hyman favorites include:

You Know How to Love Me First Time Together You Just Don't Know Don't Wanna Change the World Don't Tell Me, Tell Her When I Give My Love This Time Meet Me on the Moon

by Anonymousreply 1511/03/2013

That should have read:

"You Know How to Love Me," "First Time Together," "You Just Don't Know," "Don't Wanna Change the World," "Don't Tell Me, Tell Her," "When I Give My Love This Time," and "Meet Me on the Moon."

by Anonymousreply 1611/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!