Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

South Africa's Crime Rate 4x The Global Average

I was watching some piece on Oscar Pistorius and that's what they said about his home country. Is that actually true? I've never been there. That rate sounds as if there would have to be dead bodies strewn out all over the street.

by Anonymousreply 3903/08/2013

I'm curious about this too.

by Anonymousreply 103/07/2013

If this is true, it is very sad.

Will just reinforce the racists.

by Anonymousreply 203/07/2013

There's a "global average" crime rate?

So they compare war zones and failed states with Nordic countries and average it all out?

That makes a lot of sense.

by Anonymousreply 303/07/2013

The British ruin everything.

by Anonymousreply 403/07/2013

R2, read your history. In reality, it hardly reinforces racists.

by Anonymousreply 503/07/2013

I know tons of south africans, white and black. They are all very saddened but realistic about this. All wish that it would change.

by Anonymousreply 603/07/2013

It's a beautiful but profoundly dangerous place. 12 foot razor wire fences around middle-class residences are the norm.

by Anonymousreply 703/07/2013

Oppressing people for centuries rarely turns out well for anyone.

by Anonymousreply 803/07/2013

I thought it was common knowledge. SA used to place first as the murder capital of the world. Now it's just the rape capital of the world.

As r7 said, it's beautiful but has always been a violent region. Women are advised to never travel alone unless being raped is in their itinerary.

by Anonymousreply 903/07/2013

There was a gruesome story I read this week. With video I chose not to watch. It was SA police tying a cab driver to the back bumper of a paddy wagon. They then dragged him for miles. Amazingly the man survived. They took him to a jail,where they beat him to death. It seems that is the end of it? This was either in Huff. Po. Or Daily beast. Why don't the "good Christians" get themselves into a lather about this kind of thing,instead of trying to stop people who love each other from getting married?

by Anonymousreply 1003/07/2013

Another fake story intended to show South Africa in a bad light. Wake up, morons. It's Brit-American neocons and S.A. white supremacists who blanket us with these fake stories.

by Anonymousreply 1103/07/2013

They are not "fake" stories - Johannesburg, white enclaves aside, makes the West Side of Chicago, Anacostia (DC), and Bed-Stuy (NYC) look like Sunnybrook Farm in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 1203/07/2013

R8, India has an equally long history of colonization and oppression, minus the ridiculous violence. Sure, India does have crime, but by and large, you don't fear for your life in most cities.

by Anonymousreply 1303/07/2013

It's worse than the Middle East?

by Anonymousreply 1403/07/2013

It's a pity because Johannesburg seems quite cosmopolitan and interesting to visit, and the country has tons of natural beauty, but as long as stories like the one below keep happening, no way would I travel there.

by Anonymousreply 1503/07/2013

[R11] , people filmed the first beating,and the part where the cab driver was cuffed to the official police vehicle and dragged FOR MILES !! I don't know how to link,or I would! The videos were from people's cell phones. Google it.

by Anonymousreply 1603/07/2013

Fuck PISS-torius and Fuck South Africa, one couldn't give a rat's ass about either of them.

by Anonymousreply 1703/07/2013

The cad driver/victim's name was Mido Macia. Eight SA police officers are charged with his murder! First story in Huffpo,was February 28. I Googled ,cab driver dragged,beaten,south African police.

by Anonymousreply 1803/07/2013

I wonder how the Johannesburg crime rate compares with Rio.

by Anonymousreply 1903/07/2013

There hasn't been apartheid for 20 years. How long do you think it will take for the country to repair itself? Is the crime a result of the poor economy?

by Anonymousreply 2003/07/2013

Let's put it this way, R20, the violence and crime started right after apartheid ended. A man started a company which made flame throwers attached to the undercarriage of cars like BMWs so the wouldn't be carjacked on the road. A guy tries your door, you push a button, and whoosh, crispy criminal.

by Anonymousreply 2103/07/2013

A friend was offered a temporary job there. And also, a driver to take him to work and home, it is that dangerous there.

by Anonymousreply 2203/07/2013

There are tons of white South African professionals in my community (e.g., doctors, lawyers, dentists, teachers). They have all fled SA and immigrated in the last 10 years due to increasing class and racial violence.

For the future of SA look to nearby countries like Zimbabwe where all of the white citizens have fled (along with their capital) and the economy has imploded.

Mandela can talk about the "rainbow nation" all he wants, but the reality is that whites are fleeing that country in droves.

by Anonymousreply 2303/07/2013

I would really LOVE it if Angelina & Brad moved there. Most of their fans are black illiterates. Go for it Brangelina, do the fauxmanitarian thing & put your feet where your big fat mouths are.

by Anonymousreply 2403/07/2013

(R23) Mandela was an excellent leader and meant what he said.

Unfortunately SA hasn't had a good leader since Mandela. It's a very corrupt and lawless place.

by Anonymousreply 2503/07/2013

r13 I guess you missed that story from India about that girl that was gang raped and beaten on a city bus. She was with her boyfriend whom the attackers beat. They beat her and gang raped/sodomized her then threw her off the bus. This is a growing thing in India, attacks on women.

by Anonymousreply 2603/07/2013

R26, I missed nothing. Walk down the street in Calcutta at 10 p.m. and walk down the street in Johannesburg and then get back to me about which is safer.

by Anonymousreply 2703/07/2013

You miss quite a bit, R27. Obviously.

by Anonymousreply 2803/07/2013

What I don't *miss* is the stupidity of idiots who think South Africa and India have similar levels of violence, or that because of the India rape case, that makes them on par. Sorry for those of you with deluded agendas; I've been to India (and Latin America) and never felt like my life was in danger. But South Africa? No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 2903/07/2013

Your experiences mean very little to us, R29.

Why would they? Your use of false equivalency and apparent lack of historical knowledge make you just one more ignorant bigot.

Get back to us when you've read a book or two.

by Anonymousreply 3003/07/2013

Mrs. Mandela says South Africa is an angry nation on the brink.

by Anonymousreply 3103/07/2013

Yeah. On the other hand, the media is being irresponsible in portraying South Africa as some big wasteland of crime. After all, that makes for better news copy for the Oscar P. story, right?

by Anonymousreply 3203/07/2013

Chickens are roosting, R31.

by Anonymousreply 3303/07/2013

How is Capetown? Is that a safe place?

by Anonymousreply 3403/07/2013

[quote][R13] I guess you missed that story from India about that girl that was gang raped and beaten on a city bus. She was with her boyfriend whom the attackers beat. They beat her and gang raped/sodomized her then threw her off the bus. This is a growing thing in India, attacks on women.

Women aren't attacked in other countries? You sound very uneducated.

by Anonymousreply 3603/07/2013

R30, you are an uneducated moron with an obvious agenda; trying to pass off South Africa's history of apartheid (which is shameful) as an excuse for the atrocities being committed in that nation today.

Sorry, I don't believe the levels of rape, murder and homophobic violence in that country as excusable. I'm sorry that you think thugs boiling a 12 y/o boy alive in scalding water is OK, but that's more your problem than mine.

by Anonymousreply 3703/07/2013

No one said anything about excuses. Read a book, deal.

Not necessarily in that order.

by Anonymousreply 3803/07/2013

There is less violence in South Africa GENERALLY than in the USA. It is a violent country compared to Canada and Australia, but not compared to say the USA, Mexico, Peru, or Brazil.

The compounds with the barbed wire were a legacy of race war fears of the 1980s and are not the result of current conditions.

During apartheid (and before), whites in South Africa enjoyed a first world economy with a large exploited urban mass below. But the big story of the country was that large areas, called bantustans, had had no development into the cash economy at all, and were still under the rule of feudal leaders with a Middle Ages agenda. These were places with no roads, no schools, no stores, nothing. Transkei at one point had a per capita income half of Haiti's...and that's poor.

So when you look at S.A. and say, oh it has high unemployment, the wonder is that it works as well as it does since most people in the country have never received a wage. They also don't count self-employed people as employed and that is the very essence of a traditional economy.

Since majority rule housing has been built for twenty million people. If they had done nothing else, that would have already made the country a success.

by Anonymousreply 3903/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.