Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anyone here ever live in Indianapolis?

What's it like, especially for a gay guy? I'm tempted to move there because of the (apparently) extremely affordable cost of living. I'm impressed by the quality of homes you can purchase there for the price, and I know the property taxes are quite reasonable too. I've only really driven through there a few times, but it always looked quite clean and nice from what I could tell. And before you call me a loser or flyover or whatever, I'm disabled & on a small fixed income...that's why I will not and cannot live in a big, vibrant city. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 4104/29/2015

If this is the attitude that you display toward any city that you think is not " big and vibrant" then you will be miserable anywhere you move because the people will look at you as an arrogant snob ( which, it seems, you are). Stay in your big city and starve; at least you can say that you died in a place that was vibrant. And stop trolling for other residents of "big, vibrant" cities to insult anywhere that isn't where they live. It's tiring.

by Anonymousreply 103/07/2013

Now that the obligatory cunty R1 has been done, Indy can be very nice. The downtown certainly is certainly nicer than most larger cities. Not great culture and not a vibrant gay scene, but the people are friendly and it is an oasis in the Republican stupidity that is Indiana.

by Anonymousreply 203/07/2013

Huh? You must lack basic reading comprehension skills, R1. I don't even live in a big city at the moment. As I stated quite clearly (I thought), I cannot afford that. But I know how DL is--it's NYC or bust for most of the people on here. I thought I'd explain upfront why NYC isn't an option for me so that I wouldn't have to sit through numerous posts about how Indianapolis lacks this, that or the other thing compared to a major city. Sorry that became so violently offensive to you! I hope you find it in your heart and soul to forgive me.

by Anonymousreply 303/07/2013

I disagree that there's no gay culture in Indianapolis. On the contrary, there's a fairly vibrant one that has a lot of overlap with the theatrical community. Lots of gay bars (Metro, Olly's, English Ivy's, the 501), etc. It's not The Castro, but for the midwest, it's pretty good.

The arts and theatre scene are pretty cool, too, and there are many good (non-chain) restaurants for those who like an interesting dining experience. Indianapolis has a Fringe Festival every August that brings performers from around the world at a minimal cost -- $10 for a Fringe membership + $10 per show.

Great zoo, several interesting museums (the Children's Museum is the largest one in the world and contrary to its name, not only appealing to children), all affordable.

For geek appeal, Indianapolis has been host for the past several years (and for the foreseeable future) of GenCon, the biggest gaming convention in the world. Even if you're not remotely interested in games, it's fun to go downtown in August to see the parade of elaborate costumes some of the participants walk around in.

Drawbacks are the VERY conservative political ideologies of most of the population (yes, even in Indianapolis) and a huge focus on sports. If you don't particularly enjoy football, basketball, etc. you will feel left out of the loop as far as the fervor most people in Indianapolis feel about their various sports teams. That said, there's a lot more to the culture than sports.

by Anonymousreply 403/07/2013

Try Florida, OP -- seriously. The cost of living is very low and there are no state or local income taxes. Because of the elderly, there are many amenities for disabled folks.

And there are lots of gays in the urban areas.

by Anonymousreply 503/07/2013

I've definitely considered FL, R5...but the humidity! I don't know if I could take it. And then there's the costly hurricane insurance. If it wasn't for those two things, I'd already be there. Income tax isn't a big concern for me since I have such little income at this point.

by Anonymousreply 603/07/2013

Compared to other cities I have been to, Indianapolis has no more fervor for its sports than they do and probably less since there is not a major league baseball or hockey team. The conservatism is more in the Mayberry, don't make major changes to our way of life, sense. The compact downtown, which was great for hosting the Super Bowl, adds to the feeling of being in a very large small town, in a good way. People are approachable and open. Once you start talking to a stranger the conversation can quickly sound like you've known them for years. You can go to the site and under What To Do see one of the major sections is a GLBT Guide to Indy to encourage gay tourism.

by Anonymousreply 703/07/2013

They have 2 bathhouses!!!

by Anonymousreply 803/07/2013

I hate the word "vibrant." It usually brands the speaker as an idiot. To make sure, listen further to see if the speaker uses the term "rich" in the way that has nothing to do with wealth. Now if they throw in "mosaic" you can just go ahead and slap them.

by Anonymousreply 903/07/2013

R8, sure, but lots of fat people - I'd rather they kept their clothes on.

by Anonymousreply 1003/07/2013

Huge meth and homelessness problems in Indy.

by Anonymousreply 1103/07/2013

You said it R1.

by Anonymousreply 1203/07/2013

Very polite, well-behaved population. Many nice blondes. Most people are overwieght to obese.

Beer drinkers, but definately not hell-raisers.

by Anonymousreply 1303/07/2013

Did. Past tense.

by Anonymousreply 1403/07/2013

[quote].but the humidity! I don't know if I could take it.

And how's the humidity in Indianapolis in the summer?

If I were you, I'd reconsider Florida and deal with the hot months. Unless you have no love for heat and being able to swim all year round.

by Anonymousreply 1503/07/2013

Yes Indy is very humid in the summers. You will need A/C.

Indy is on the upswing actually. As another poster said big sports town, but that's partially led to the resurgance - the new stadium, the Colts, hosting the Super Bowl successfully has led to new interest by business. The convention business is big in Indy.

The growth of IUPUI as an academic center has also helped; there's many foreign students now living in/near downtown, new biotech startups and the clinical hospital systems are 1st rate. I actually recently had a former boss, a top biological-clinical researcher, leave Boston to take a leadership job in Indy.

Housing is cheap and plentiful. You can buy a house on a large plot of land for half of what you'd pay on the coasts.

those are some pluses; I'll let others here details the negs.

by Anonymousreply 1603/07/2013

Laura Ingalls always hated the heat and high humidity in Florida

by Anonymousreply 1703/07/2013

Indianapolis is trapped in a sea of rural, red, hick America, which is all of Indiana minus Indy and the north west part of the state near Chicago. Good luck, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1803/07/2013

true r18 but those in Indy(the "city dwellers") rarely venture outside city limits unless they fly out elsewhere. The urbanites have little real contact with the redneck types that fill up the rest of the state.

Remember Indy is a HUGE city geographically. It takes up all of Marion county, is something like 300 sq miles. And the northern burbs in Hamilton county (repub but wealthy) stretch out for several more miles. You can drive for miles before you see a corn field.

by Anonymousreply 1903/07/2013

Among other midwestern cities its size, Indianapolis compares much better. Downtown doesn't turn into a ghost town after 5:00 as several other similar cities do. Near downtown is the Mass Ave District, which has a lot of local theatre, bars, and restaurants. It's a very mixed neighborhood, mostly straight, but anyplace you go around there will be gay-friendly. Fountain Square is also near downtown and is a more compact version of Mass Ave. White River State Park has a few museums, a Canal run/walk path that's pretty nice, and outdoor concerts. Even if you aren't a sports fan, there's a Triple A baseball team in that neighborhood which is good, cheap entertainment. Outside of downtown and its nearby districts, it's pretty conservative and child-centered, although I've never encountered any overt homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 2003/07/2013 ranks Indianapolis as the #1 downtown in the U.S.:

by Anonymousreply 2103/08/2013

I grew up there, left when I was 18 and vowed to never step foot in that shit hole again. I'm 43 and I've kept that vow.

by Anonymousreply 2203/08/2013

I'd do Columbus, Ohio before Indianapolis, Indiana.

by Anonymousreply 2303/08/2013

Columbus, which is the dullest place imaginable, is like Paris in comparison with Indy. I used to go there from Bloomington. Indy's downtown has gotten better over time, but it's not very lively. It's not a cultural hub or great place for restaurants, shopping or other things people do to amuse themselves. It has a very xenophobic history and frankly, there isn't much nearby. I don't think I've seen a city with as many churches. There are some nice state parks near little Nashville, which is something of an arts and hour or so away, and Bloomington has a very strong music program, but otherwise, you're hours from anything of note. I was lucky to have friends in Chicago and Cincinnati, both far more interesting places.

Almost everyone I've ever known from Indiana has had no desire to return or little in the way of nostalgia. I can think of people from unloved places like Detroit who have more attachment to their roots.

by Anonymousreply 2403/08/2013

R24, Columbus is much larger than Cincinnati and much more progressive. Columbus has a large LGBT community. OP, I would definitely take a look at Columbus,OH.

by Anonymousreply 2503/08/2013

Indianapolis is a small town. It's only big because it annexed all the county. It's like Jacksonville, Louisville, Nashville, and Kansas City, which had to annex their counties in order to appear bigger.

The real Indianapolis, that isn't the extra county they annexed is conservative.

Columbus is similar in that most of it is annexed county, though it didn't combine city with county.

Go for a college town, like Bloomington or Champaign or Lafayette where you can buy a house and some fat college student will take on your pathetic old ass if you let him live with you for free.

by Anonymousreply 2603/09/2013

I like Indy.

by Anonymousreply 2703/10/2013

[quote] If I were you, I'd reconsider Florida and deal with the hot months.

Florida has 9 hot months a year. I grew up in Florida.

by Anonymousreply 2803/10/2013

It's the Paris of Central Indiana!

by Anonymousreply 2903/10/2013

Once upon a time it was the largest American city on a non-navigable waterway. But I think that distinction is now claimed by Las Vegas.

by Anonymousreply 3003/10/2013

R24 speaks the truth. Indianapolis is flat and boring. The people can be friendly. I would prefer Pittsburgh for cheap housing; it is much more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 3103/10/2013

Consider a college town if you want some culture without exorbitant real estate prices. Charlottesville, Asheville, Chapel Hill, Madison.

by Anonymousreply 3203/10/2013

I'm going to be in Indianapolis this week. Anything I should know?

by Anonymousreply 3303/09/2014

I love Indy...I lived there for 22 years. Columbus Ohio, I don't care for.

by Anonymousreply 3403/12/2014

Forget Asheville. The high real estate prices just got them kicked off th ebest places to live list.

by Anonymousreply 3503/12/2014

Indianapolis is for people who think ketchup is spicy.

by Anonymousreply 3604/28/2015

Des Moines is more vibrant.

by Anonymousreply 3704/28/2015

Indy has nothing like this

by Anonymousreply 3804/29/2015

Given recent events, I would touch Indiana with that North Dakota congressman's closeted dick.

by Anonymousreply 3904/29/2015

[quote]Consider a college town if you want some culture without exorbitant real estate prices. Charlottesville, Asheville, Chapel Hill, Madison.

Chapel Hill has a cost of living 33% greater than the NC average and 28.7% higher than the national average. It is fairly expensive. Indianpolis is only around 2/3 the cost of Chapel Hill.

by Anonymousreply 4004/29/2015

It's really a nasty city underneath its smooth exterior. The bigots and homophobia are dreadful.

If I were to do a city in that region, I'd do Columbus, Ohio instead.

by Anonymousreply 4104/29/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!