Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Staying for a weekend in downtown Vancouver, BC

Where should I eat? What should I see? Where should i go? Will be on my own.

I like all kinds of food (except Ethiopian), culture, architecture, bookstores. Also looking for good gay bars (I'm in my 40s).

by Anonymousreply 2703/07/2013

Great oysters and fish. Goldfish is a nice restaurant, Blue Water Cafe is an excellent one. I was there a couple of years ago. I'm sure the bars have changed, although I don't remember there being that many.

by Anonymousreply 103/06/2013

Pacific seafood is radioactive now.

by Anonymousreply 203/06/2013

There is nothing in Vancouver except Asians, rain, and douches.

by Anonymousreply 303/07/2013

Rent a bike and ride around Stanley Park, very nice.

by Anonymousreply 403/07/2013

Go local and try the bc bud.

by Anonymousreply 503/07/2013

I went to a bathhouse there once about 20 years ago. It was the least friendly one I'd ever been to.

by Anonymousreply 603/07/2013

Stanley Fish House in Stanley Park used to be quaint but good

by Anonymousreply 703/07/2013

stay away from men named Evan

by Anonymousreply 803/07/2013

restaurants - Nuba ,- lebanese and amazing, Vj's - rated one of the top Indian restaurants in North American, Heirloom - veg/ beautiful room, The Elbow Room for breakfast- run by a gay couple & a great experience.

Neighborhoods-- the west end/Davie street- our gay village. Yaletown/Coal Harbour - uber trendy yuppie zone. Mount Pleasant (Main Street) and Commercial Drive- fun, hipster, diverse.

Granville IslandbPublic Market- well worth a visit, Vancouver Art Gallety - also worth a visit

Lots of cool bars in Gastown

Have fun

by Anonymousreply 903/07/2013

McDonald's or KFC

by Anonymousreply 1003/07/2013

Ewww - 40s - kill it.

by Anonymousreply 1103/07/2013

r8 - What's the first letter of your Evan's last name?

by Anonymousreply 1203/07/2013

I highly recommend you go to Main and Hastings with a pocketfull of quarters and throw them up in the air. Seeing the heroin addicts scurry from their rat holes to scoop them up is always good for a laugh. Other than that, visit Stanley Park. Almost everything else in Vancouver is way overrated.

by Anonymousreply 1303/07/2013

I'm confused by the meaning of your comment, R11.

by Anonymousreply 1403/07/2013

Wow, you're a bundle of fun, r13. We're all so sorry we're not traveling with you.

by Anonymousreply 1503/07/2013

R13 is the ghost of Ayn Rand

by Anonymousreply 1603/07/2013

Check out the Colosseum-style main branch of the public library. It's a love or hate thing.

Thierry Chocolaterie Patisserie Cafe for coffee and a sweet.

Granville Island. Easy to get to from downtown. Shopping & artsy crafty stuff. Go Saturday rather than Sunday.

UBC Museum of Anthropology has a fantastic collection of First Nations art. A short trek from downtown.

by Anonymousreply 1703/07/2013

Grouse Mtn is the obvious tourist answer

by Anonymousreply 1803/07/2013

I'm in Seattle and we visit about once a year. The West End is great and the walk around the seawall at Stanley Park is lovely. We've also enjoyed the galleries and the shopping (particularly in Yaletown).

I tend to like more pub type places when I'm traveling and they have a lot of those which are uniformly pretty good. I haven't done much fine dining up there.

The museums tend to be on the small side. I like the Museum of Vancouver which has info on the city and its history. The Vancouver Art Gallery is nice and has some good exhibitions.

I've found the men to be friendly although it can take a while to calibrate the gaydar. I really haven't spent much time in the bars though. If you're into Asian (particularly Chinese) or British or Scottish-looking guys you're in for a treat.

Also make sure to get a Kinder Surprise when you're up there - they're illegal in the US.

by Anonymousreply 1903/07/2013

Go hop on the Hop-on-hop-off bus for about 20 bucks. It'll take you around the city. If something interest you, you can hop off. If it bores you, you can hop back on the bus.

Plus, it takes you to Stanley Park, which is a beautiful park, full of lush vibrant flowers.

The food, though, in Vancouver is not that good. So, if someone found a great spot to eat, you better take their suggestion.

by Anonymousreply 2003/07/2013

Salmon House restaurant. Breathtaking view of Vancouver and good food.

by Anonymousreply 2103/07/2013

r12 W.

by Anonymousreply 2203/07/2013

Yes because Ethopian eateries are a dime a dozen...

by Anonymousreply 2303/07/2013

For the vegetarians, what about The Naam? Is it still around? I remember having an incredible breakfast there. Open 24 hours. Servers seemed way stoned, so be patient if you visit.

by Anonymousreply 2403/07/2013

r24 - Yup, still there. Love The Naam. The Foundation (another vegetarian place) is also great for casual dining.

r22 - Ah. Different Evan.

by Anonymousreply 2503/07/2013

[quote]There is nothing in Vancouver except Asians

That's 80% of the appeal of Vancouver.

by Anonymousreply 2603/07/2013

The Naam is still there & is as wonderful as ever. Heirloom is great as is the Acorn - both veggie and great chefs. The Naam is my favourite though

by Anonymousreply 2703/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!