Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Vertical sleeve gastrectomy

Has anyone had it? It seems like the complication rate is very low and recovery is pretty quick.

What say you, fellow People Of Size?

by Anonymousreply 1303/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 103/07/2013

I've got a friend who had it done and she looks great. She did say she doesn't enjoy eating nearly as much since she doesn't eat that much. She does miss that aspect. Don't think there were any other side effects...

by Anonymousreply 203/07/2013

You could just start eating less now, as if you had the surgery, same effect, no cuts in your body.

by Anonymousreply 303/07/2013

Quit eating so much, hog!

by Anonymousreply 403/07/2013

We say it's a cheater's way out. You can do it on your own OP.

Christ, will your slovenly, lazy lifestyle NEVER end? Take control. You can do it.

by Anonymousreply 503/07/2013

Thanks r2

by Anonymousreply 603/07/2013

My therapist had it done last year, developed a blood clot, and almost died.

I can't understand why people would go to this extreme. Eat less and exercise. It's not rocket science!

by Anonymousreply 703/07/2013

I was a snarky bitch and hadn't had enough coffee when I posted @ R5, but my message is pretty much the same OP.

R7, it really ISN'T that easy. It's so not that easy. What I don't understand with DL is that it's full of 12-step queens and fraus who go on and on about their therapists or various medical ailments, yet fat people are dismissed and told losing weight is simple. It isn't.

Yes, you can and it should be done without surgery, but it's hard. It sometimes takes such drastic changes that some people need to quit their jobs or go away from their families and friends for a while just to focus on nothing but getting the weight off. But, it can be done.

OP, my insurance wouldn't cover the surgery at first and then when it would, I had a doctor who kept pushing surgery on me. At one point, he literally told me, verbatim that "You might as well do the surgery, you're not going to lose it yourself at this stage". He was my doctor for 12 years, a p/c, gay, activist doctor in the heart of New York's West Village, but that's the way he treated me, a gay guy who'd become obese.

It was hard, but I did it myself. Surgery can so easily take your life, especially when you're heavy.

Get a plan, start down the road and every little minute you fuck up, ignore it and just stay on that road. Eventually, you're going to see results and you'll have your life (and no baggy, gross skin) at the end.

Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 803/07/2013

Thanks R5

by Anonymousreply 903/07/2013

Losing weight is incredibly hard OP, and i do wish the best for you. Yes, it seems like we sometimes have to leave our families and go on a retreat. It's that difficult.

Here are some basics for me: no alcohol, ever, period.

Resistance training coupled with walking on a regular basis.

No red meat.

Best of luck to you sweetie.

by Anonymousreply 1003/07/2013

I have a friend who is planning to have bariatric surgery.

I went with her to an information seminar about the various gastric surgeries. It was free and is put on every week by one of the Bariatric practices here in town.

Each surgery type is explained and the pros and cons discussed. They go over which person each surgery is best suited for, what the recovery and life after is like,etc... It was very informative for her.

I recommend you seek out this type of seminar before you make up your mind which surgery suits your needs.

This Bariatric practice demands that you go to one of these seminars prior to having your first appointment.

by Anonymousreply 1103/07/2013

When I was a kid I remember only two kids that were fat, both girls. They were probably 3 to 4 sizes bigger than the average girl. I don't remember any parents being fat, none that stand out in my mind. And so it has been until the last 15-20 years when all of a sudden people can't lost weight and are several times bigger than they used to be.

Americans are lazy privileged and spoiled. Learn about your body and your metabolism. Learn about what foods you burn well and what foods most easily turn into fat for you. Take some fucking responsibility.

by Anonymousreply 1203/07/2013

R11 Those are 'sales' seminars not really the information you need.

by Anonymousreply 1303/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!