Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Great Rhoda lines:

To remember Valerie:

This is my date, Mr. and Mrs. Armand Linton.

Do shy people shop here?

Ma, finish driving me crazy before you start branching out.

by Anonymousreply 6703/15/2013

You're having a lousy streak. I happen to be having a terrific streak. Soon the world will be back to normal. Tomorrow you will meet a crown head of Europe and marry. I will have a fat attack, eat 3000 peanut butter cups and die.

OK I just googled it so I could post a quote and have an excuse to enter my favorite Rhoda moment.

Rhoda, Mary, and Ida are going out to dinner. They agree to meet in the newsroom. Rhoda is going to wear the dress Ida bought her. She shows up to see Ida is wearing the same one. Ida and Rhoda together were better than Mary and Rhoda together.

by Anonymousreply 103/06/2013

I'll name the pimple after you.

by Anonymousreply 203/06/2013

As Mrs. Richards' oldest and dearest friend, I can assure you that her teeth were every bit as lovely before she ever met Stefano.

by Anonymousreply 303/06/2013

"A friend is someone who's friendly. Even when it's raining, even when it's nighttime, even when it isn't".....$3.50

by Anonymousreply 403/07/2013

The last time I wore an 8, it was on my softball uniform

by Anonymousreply 503/07/2013

"I have to lose 10 lbs by 7:30."

by Anonymousreply 603/07/2013

"I shouldn't eat this; I should just apply it to my hips."

by Anonymousreply 703/07/2013

"I don't know why I'm putting this in my mouth. I should just apply it directly to my hips."

"I decided to move out of the house when I was 24; my mother still refers to this as the time I ran away from home. Eventually I ran to Minneapolis, where it's cold, and I figured I'd keep better."

by Anonymousreply 803/07/2013

They kept her in fat clothes...she was always lean and trim.

by Anonymousreply 903/07/2013

Was this one of the shows that the mom from Valerie was on before she got famous?

I wasn't born til '84, but was this show filmed in black and white like a lot of ancient 70s shows?

I loved watching Valerie/ The Hogan Family in reruns as a kid in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 1003/07/2013

"Ma, Mary already knows about the wonderful thing that happens once a month."

by Anonymousreply 1103/07/2013

Phyllis) I can't understand why a girl her age, who looks like that. isn't married

Rhoda) You mean Mary?

Phyllis) Of course?

Rhoda) But you CAN understand why a girl, my age, who looks like me isn't married?

Phyllis) Yes

Rhoda) Well will you tell my mother, SHE doesn't understand

by Anonymousreply 1203/07/2013

Rhoda) Yes Phyllis I was fired, but now I are hired, AND I'm making more money than Mary.

Mary) Huh?

Rhoda) Sorry, I meant to get her with that one.

by Anonymousreply 1303/07/2013

Rhoda) I got fined $50 for feeding a buffalo. You know those signs they have at the zoo that say "Do not feed the buffalo"? Well I fed the buffalo and they really fine you for it.

Mary) What did you feed it?

Rhoda) Low fat prune yogurt. That buffalo is gonna have some terrific figure.

by Anonymousreply 1403/07/2013

Mary) What are we gonna do about her [Gerogette]

Rhoda) I don't know, I'd say something except I'm tempted to take advantage of her myself.

by Anonymousreply 1503/07/2013

Just as an aside, that "apply it directly to my hips" line was suggested to the writers BY Valerie, herself, after her dear friend Mary Frann (RIP and Bob Newhart's wife on his second show) actually SAID that to Valerie when the two of them were in a play together. Valerie remembered it as one of the funniest things she had ever heard. The writers for the MTM show have said that the line is one of the most oft quoted and remembered lines/jokes from the show, right up there with "You got spunk!"

by Anonymousreply 1603/07/2013

[quote] Just as an aside, that "apply it directly to my hips" line was suggested to the writers BY Valerie, herself, after her dear friend Mary Frann (RIP and Bob Newhart's wife on his second show) actually SAID that to Valerie when the two of them were in a play together. Valerie remembered it as one of the funniest things she had ever heard.

If memory serves from watching the spotty first season on dvd a few years ago, that line got a very long sustained laugh.

by Anonymousreply 1703/07/2013

"I didn't come in 3rd...I won!!"

From the MTM episode called "Rhoda The Beautiful."

At first she tells Mary and Phyllis that she came in 3rd. Phyllis leaves and Rhoda is almost out the door when she turns back and shyly reveals the truth to Mary.

Makes me misty eyed every time I see it.

by Anonymousreply 1803/07/2013

Mary Frann couldn't of been too great a friend since she didn't want her going to her tennis club.

by Anonymousreply 1903/07/2013

I love when Brenda appears with bleached hair and a perm and Rhoda tells her she looks like Harpo Marx.

by Anonymousreply 2003/07/2013

[quote]I wasn't born til '84, but was this show filmed in black and white like a lot of ancient 70s shows?

Shows - or even a show - in the 70s were in B&W?

by Anonymousreply 2103/07/2013

[quote]I wasn't born til '84, but was this show filmed in black and white like a lot of ancient 70s shows?

Not only that, it was silent. You had to watch the show on a zoetrope.

by Anonymousreply 2203/07/2013

"Speak not of what you know not of."

by Anonymousreply 2303/07/2013

No one remembers this classic line

Rhoda dates Phyllis brother then dumps him

Phyllis "I don't understand why you don't like him. He is smart, funny, good-looking..."

Rhoda "He is gay"

by Anonymousreply 2403/07/2013

"My name is Rhoda Morgenstern. I was born in the Bronx, New York in December 1941. I've always felt responsible for World War II. The first thing I remember liking that liked me back was food. I had a bad puberty, it lasted 17 years. I'm a high school graduate. I went to art school. Mt entrance exam was on a book of matches. I decided to move out of the house when I was 24; my mother still refers to this as the time I ran away from home. Eventually I ran to Minneapolis where it's cold and I figured I would keep better. Now I'm back in Manhattan. New York, this is your last chance."

by Anonymousreply 2503/07/2013

Why should I feel bad, I'm not the one who drowned, Claude did.

by Anonymousreply 2603/07/2013

You know what, Phyllis? You are a huge cunt.

by Anonymousreply 2703/07/2013

So many; when she and "Ma", Nancy Walker, did an exchange, it was soo funny.

by Anonymousreply 2803/07/2013

I was watching reruns of MTM recently and was shocked by all of Rhoda's fat jokes. She wasn't fat.

Compared to Mary she was, but Mary was skeletal.

by Anonymousreply 2903/07/2013

Thanks for remembering me, but I'm not dead yet.

by Anonymousreply 3003/07/2013

Phyllis: I just thought I'd see what you swingin' singles do for fun.

Rhoda: Same as you - sit around and wonder what it would be like to have a happy marriage.

by Anonymousreply 3103/07/2013

R23, Phyllis said that to Rhoda, Rhoda didn't say it.

by Anonymousreply 3203/07/2013

She's not dead yet, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3303/07/2013

Pardon me? Rhoda died in 1978, Valerie is alive.

by Anonymousreply 3403/07/2013

Phyllis: Boy, they sure do make a fuss over third place.

Rhoda (the new Miss Hempel's): I WON, COOKIE.

by Anonymousreply 3503/07/2013

Remember Michael Delano as Johnny Venture? He was cute and that was a funny character.

I'm so sad about Valerie.

by Anonymousreply 3603/07/2013

[quote]Was this one of the shows that the mom from Valerie was on before she got famous?

oh my god

by Anonymousreply 3703/07/2013

I never understood why Joe and Rhoda broke up. It came out of nowhere and Rhoda became too brittle and unlikable.

by Anonymousreply 3803/07/2013

[quote]why Joe and Rhoda broke up

Producers demanding higher ratings.

by Anonymousreply 3903/07/2013

I remember seeing the ad in TV Guide for Joe and Rhoda's forthcoming split-up episode and being shocked to my 9-year-old core.

by Anonymousreply 4003/07/2013

[r37] don't feed the troll

by Anonymousreply 4103/07/2013

Yes, I understand that they needed a ratings boost, but it was the way they handled it, without much explanation. Suddenly the adoring, perfect husband Joe is reduced to a sourpuss who walks out on Rhoda for seemingly nothing. It seemed so random.

I also didn't get why Nathan dumped Grace for no reason.

by Anonymousreply 4203/07/2013

"Rhoda (the new Miss Hempel's): I WON, COOKIE."

It's MS Hemples, you asshole!

by Anonymousreply 4303/07/2013

"Pardon me? Rhoda died in 1978, Valerie is alive."

Pardon me! Who was it Valerie was playing in the reunion movie in 2000, then?

by Anonymousreply 4403/07/2013

Rhoda: (about her friend Gary's bachelor pad: "I love it. It's so... Gar-ish".

Gary: "Thank you."

by Anonymousreply 4503/07/2013

R44, that shitty movie doesn't count, just as "Rescue from Gilligan's Island" doesn't count.

by Anonymousreply 4603/07/2013

It may not "count" but it was Rhoda.

by Anonymousreply 4703/07/2013

I've read about half of these lines now, not one of them is funny.

The only good thing about Rhoda was the intro.

by Anonymousreply 4803/07/2013

Rhoda and Mary are out shopping.

Rhoda notices a pair of bright red thigh-high platform boots covered in sequins.

"Hey, Mary -- look at those. You put them on and you start walking toward sailors."

by Anonymousreply 4903/07/2013

Re an old schoolfriend:

"Myrna Morganstein. My little friend from alphabetical order."

by Anonymousreply 5003/08/2013

Rhoda, first episode: "Get out of my apartment!"

Phyllis had originally rented Mary's apartment to Rhoda. Mary walked in thinking it was her apartment, and Rhoda told her to get out.

by Anonymousreply 5103/08/2013

Not entirely sure of the circumstance, but Mary has a pompous guest over who is completely ignoring Rhoda:

Rhoda(having had enough of this): Hi! I'm another person in the room, Rhoda Morgenstern."

Her delivery KILLS!

by Anonymousreply 5203/08/2013

that is from episode two r52....When she has Mr. and Mrs. Armand Linton as her date.

(the guest isn't really pompous....just so obsessed with Mary that he doesn't even notice Rhoda)

Her delivery is killer and it was only two weeks into the job/role!

by Anonymousreply 5303/08/2013

He isn't obsessed with Mary, he's just married. That episode was the funniest of the whole series.

When Armand announces he was just married and his perky blonde wife comes in, Rhoda sees them and dumps the entire bowl of bacon curlies in her lap and starts stuffing them in her mouth.

The test audience of the pilot hated Rhoda, so much they wanted to get rid of the character because she was mean to Mary. But the writers changed one little line.

Phyllis) Rhoda is that dumb awful girl that lives upstairs

Bess) I like Aunt Rhoda

That one line by Bess, that was added in, changed the way the audience reacted to Rhoda and that saved the character.

by Anonymousreply 5403/08/2013

Thanks r53! A friend of over 31 years died last week, I am beside myself with grief. He wasn't ill, and it was a total shock. All last month we had been talking about poor Valerie, as MTM was his favorite series ever. I cannot believe he is gone, because he loved DataLounge, and we used to joke about posting a question or incorrect information, and how quickly someone would set you straight, or be able to give you the answer to even the most obscure question! Now he is gone, but this thread would have delighted him to no end. I had no one else to ask.

by Anonymousreply 5503/08/2013

[quote]He isn't obsessed with Mary, he's just married. That episode was the funniest of the whole series.

r54....it isn't Armand who Rhoda says the "I am another person in the room" to

It is to Howard Arnell (brother of Paul Arnell from a later episode) and played by Valerie's real husband at the time Richard Schaal. Howard is obsessed with Mary.

(that correction is dedicated to r55 and their late friend)

by Anonymousreply 5603/08/2013

Another great line from that episode:

Rhoda: Mary, I've thought about it and I don't have any problem dating a divorced person.

Mary: He's married

Rhoda: NOW he's married.

by Anonymousreply 5703/08/2013

Also was disappointed when Joe and Rhoda broke up because I always thought he was HOT.

by Anonymousreply 5803/08/2013

Rhoda's tongue-in-cheek response to Bess' calling her mother, Phyllis: "Hey kid, have a little respect... AUNT Phyllis!"

by Anonymousreply 5903/08/2013

[quote]"Hey kid, have a little respect... AUNT Phyllis!"

Oh, my sides!

by Anonymousreply 6003/08/2013

49 yr-old here who grew up watching the show, and Phyllis and Rhoda were great but I was surprised when I re-watched the entire series on dvd that it got funnier and more consistent when both of these characters were gone and it became more about the newsroom. The first season was especially hit and miss.

by Anonymousreply 6103/08/2013

The show sucked when Rhoda and Phyllis were gone. You must be on another planet.

by Anonymousreply 6203/08/2013

Imagine MTM's slow burn when Leachman picked up a (much-deserved) Best Supporting Actress Oscar, after doing a little low-budget movie in Texas over the hiatus ("The Last Picture Show")?

by Anonymousreply 6303/08/2013

Mary's highrise apartment was no fun.

by Anonymousreply 6403/08/2013

To a paleontologist admirer: "And I came already assembled."

About her messy car: "I think of it as a giant purse on wheels."

"Mary, will you please turn down your harmonica?"

On why her car is always in the shop: "I keep it here and just take it out for accidents."

by Anonymousreply 6503/14/2013

R10 You're an oh so snarky queen. all 70's shows were in color as well as most shows after the mid 60's.

by Anonymousreply 6603/14/2013

[quote] The show sucked when Rhoda and Phyllis were gone. You must be on another planet.

Name one bad episode after these two were gone!

by Anonymousreply 6703/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.