Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Canada's greatest troubadour, Stompin' Tom Connors has died at 77!!

Truly one of a kind!

by Anonymousreply 3503/09/2013

OH No!!!

by Anonymousreply 103/06/2013

R.I.P. Stomping Tom

by Anonymousreply 203/06/2013

His tribute to Big Joe Mufferaw, who inspired the Paul Bunyan legends.

by Anonymousreply 303/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 403/06/2013

he was born to teenager and lived with her in prison for a while as a baby before being seized by social services. He went to a few foster homes and knew some abuse before he was adopted. When he was a teenager he ran into his mother on the street, she pretended not to know him. He ran away from home a few times and at 15 left home for good. He wandered across the country and foudn himself a nickel short of a beer in a Timmins, Ontario, bar. The bar owner saidf he give him the beer if he played a few songs on his guitar. He ended up playing there regularly for over a year.

by Anonymousreply 503/06/2013

Lots of news about it in Canada tonight. All the political leaders, including the Prime Minister, are giving tributes.

by Anonymousreply 603/07/2013

This is why Canada is not known for its musical accomplishments, eh?

by Anonymousreply 703/07/2013

You mean other than Céline Dion, R7?

by Anonymousreply 803/07/2013

He's a joke, r7.

People make fun of him because he represents a certain time and low rent place in Canadian culture.

by Anonymousreply 903/07/2013

That corny Canadian culture was the worst/best thing about growing up in Canada in the '70's. Lots of Stompin' Tom, Bruno Gerussi and seven minute woodchuck documentaries on the CBC. The megaglossy, "with it"-ness of the media in Canada today has no hick parody factor - it's no fun.

by Anonymousreply 1003/07/2013

[quote]seven minute woodchuck documentaries on the CBC.

OMFG that's hilarious. I just jolted the dog awake and scared the crap out of her with my laughter.

Do you remember a giant grey beaver and a cucumber by any chance?

by Anonymousreply 1103/07/2013

No, he wasn't a joke - he was meant to represent the ordinary folks in the small towns and communities and stand for some of Canada's down to earth customs.

by Anonymousreply 1203/07/2013

r9 - Nah, nobody's laughing AT him. It's more like what r10 says. He's this corny, Canadian cultural touchstone.

by Anonymousreply 1303/07/2013

That depends where you are, r13.

Some people do, particularly in an ironic way. I remember a campaign to either get him on a fan award ballot or have him perform at an awards show. The campaign started as a joke by younger radio DJs in Ontario (the Edge, I think).

by Anonymousreply 1403/07/2013

What did he die of?

by Anonymousreply 1503/07/2013

As a Yank, now I know why Quebec wanted to leave.

by Anonymousreply 1603/07/2013

Natural causes, R15

by Anonymousreply 1703/07/2013

Quebecois culture is no hell either, r16.

by Anonymousreply 1803/07/2013

Alvin Lee died today too.

Under-rated guitarist.

by Anonymousreply 1903/07/2013

Canadian Parliament in action!

by Anonymousreply 2003/07/2013

r14 - Really? Only the callow would think it clever to point and laugh at Stompin Tom. And don't even pretend you've been able to get that hockey song out of your head all night.

by Anonymousreply 2103/07/2013

I love Canada, where else in the world can you find a massive country with the culture of a quirky small town?

by Anonymousreply 2203/07/2013

It doesn't have a small town culture at all.

Small towns are vicious places.

by Anonymousreply 2303/07/2013

Yes, it does, r23.

Canada has a scary, nasty underbelly that even many Canadians don't know about.

The press in this country leaves much to be desired. They are more concerned with their social status than reporting the news.

by Anonymousreply 2403/07/2013

No matter how great he or you thinks he is, he doesn't come close to Anne Murray.

She's Canada's national treasure.

by Anonymousreply 2503/07/2013

Well, I could see modern-day Ontario making fun of him - they wouldn't get him at all. And they'd imagine they were "sophisticated" and "cool" to make fun of him.

As R10 said all that corny stuff from the 1970s is pretty much dead. If it exists in any form now it is underground and unreported. The focus of the Canadian media, entertainment, culture, and politics now is money, money, money. Justin Beiber, Dragon's Den and "Owning the Podium." Pride in inflated real estate prices. It's just gross and depressing - no room for parody.

by Anonymousreply 2603/07/2013

r26 - That's true, sadly. But there's still an appetite for it - on my FB feed, young, old and in-between were sentimental about Stompin Tom.

And yet I agree with r23 that the small towns I knew were vicious places.

by Anonymousreply 2703/07/2013

R24, is correct. The Canadian Press is a gaggle of Becky Sharps, always on the lookout for a rich husband!

by Anonymousreply 2803/07/2013

Alvin Lee of Ten Years After died too, but I can't start a thread.

by Anonymousreply 2903/07/2013

As a Yank I'm very curious about your Canadian comments. What makes the little towns vicious, and is there a rural v. urban competitive crisis going on?

by Anonymousreply 3003/07/2013

Well, what I think makes the little towns vicious is that there is nothing in them so they all depressed and have inferiority complexies, there's nothing to do so they gossip and attack each other in families and hate their neighbours and get drunk. But I didn't post about "vicious small towns" earlier so maybe the other people can add to that. And of course, they are homophobic, too. Really paranoid about homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 3103/07/2013

Canada's dirty secret is its racism. Some sections of the country make the Deep South look fairly progressive.

by Anonymousreply 3203/07/2013

r32 - That's a ridiculous, drama queen statement. Canada has racists like everywhere else. And racism toward First Nations people is ridiculously common but it's certainly no secret.

In terms of the vicious little towns, I went to elementary school in a small town. Things may have progressed considerably since then, but at that time, the town consisted primarily of poor Ukrainian Catholics and German Mennonites (not the hard core, colony-living kind). My family was atheist, so we were always outsiders. (This was a good thing.) It was just a hopeless, ugly place. Corrupt town officials & police force, grim prospects for young people (drugs, high drop out & teen pregnancy rate), no cultural activities. In general, lots of backwards shit swept under the carpet. I've blocked most of it out.

by Anonymousreply 3303/07/2013

Definitely occurrences of a pretty toxic nation-wide inferiority complex - it's tiresome and self-invented - but little racism in the town where I grew up. Maybe the occasional hurled epithet, but not much. People seemed to get along alright, freezing their asses off together.

by Anonymousreply 3403/08/2013

That's good to know, just in case we have to invade your country and steal your resources.

by Anonymousreply 3503/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!