Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Alison Moyet - back in the game!

Last year: Alison's record company dropped her and her slated new album because she wouldn't do a reality TV show. Rumor was that the album might never see the light of day.

This year: She landed a new label, record out soon - and single out now.

Alison is one of my "divas" and I **love** this new song.

And damn, she's as thin as a rail these days and looking good!!!

by Anonymousreply 6007/18/2014

She has gayvoice.

by Anonymousreply 103/06/2013

Yeah yeah yeah-and about 2 years ago she was crowing that all her old albums were going to be remastered with all the extra tracks and remixes. STILL WAITING. Dame's a liar.

by Anonymousreply 203/06/2013

I blame the record company on that one, R2.

by Anonymousreply 303/06/2013

I was wondering when the Alison Moyet troll was going to resurface.

by Anonymousreply 403/06/2013

R4 feeds on Adele's giant turds.

by Anonymousreply 503/06/2013

Alison is one of my all-times, too. So underrated. Adele, she's great, but it was Alison first. Big British chick with a big voice and a marvelous face. I listened to her first solo album until it wouldn't play anymore. "Don't Go" is one of my favorite images of early MTV and "Situation" is one of the iconic vocals of all time. I wish she had been more prolific but at the end of the day Alison don't give a fuck, so I'm happy for what she gave us. Still, can't wait for new material! The reunion tour showed what a force her voice remains. The live album is a brilliant document of that--go get it! One of the most artistically relevant and sincerest voices to emerge from the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 603/06/2013

Sounds more like a man than ever, song does nothing for me just blah

by Anonymousreply 703/06/2013

One of the greatest British female pop vocals of the last 30 years. The covers album was a bit lame but, frankly, I'd rather listen to her read from a phonebook than 99% of the shit that infests charts these days.

by Anonymousreply 803/06/2013

Love Alison and can't wait to hear the new album.

Yaz's "Upstairs At Eric's" is, IMHO, a masterpiece and still one of my favorite albums of all-time.

by Anonymousreply 903/06/2013

[quote] The covers album was a bit lame but, frankly, I'd rather listen to her read from a phonebook than 99% of the shit that infests charts these days.

Amen, sister.

by Anonymousreply 1003/06/2013

Yea, Voice left me wanting more, too. Although, "What Are You Doing With The Rest Of Your Life?" ranks near her finest.

by Anonymousreply 1103/06/2013

Love her. "This House" is one of the best break-up/lost love songs ever.

by Anonymousreply 1203/06/2013

It's a little known fact that Moyet was in the ALF costume during the run of that series.

It's no wonder she bombed as a MOR easy listening act as a solo artist after cutting her teeth as a nu wave diva in her own right and a backup singer for Culture Club. I loved the song but it's just fundamentally wrong to release a video featuring a fat woman singing about her invisibility. The radio djs had a field day with that.

by Anonymousreply 1303/06/2013

Dear stupid know it all r13, Moyet never sang for Culture Club. That was Helen Terry.

by Anonymousreply 1403/06/2013

[quote] and a backup singer for Culture Club.

She never was a backup singer for them. You are probably referring to Helen Terry.

by Anonymousreply 1503/06/2013

Speaking of Helen Terry, she's not bad herself.

I would post a video, but because EMI is the single most ridiculous, stupid company in the history of the world, and doesn't want to actually sell any albums, they've blocked her videos from YouTube, Daily Motion, etc.

EMI, please go bankrupt, you assholes.

by Anonymousreply 1603/06/2013

Helen Terry had an awesome voice. She should have made it big. She's behind the camera now, I believe. I think she produces music-related television programming in the UK.

Alison Moyet commented once on the similarity between her and Helen "Well, we're both fat birds."

love that!

by Anonymousreply 1703/06/2013

[quote] She's behind the camera now, I believe. I think she produces music-related television programming in the UK.

I wonder if she and BG ever made up? She was furious with him after he outed her as part of his drug posse in Take It Like A Man.

by Anonymousreply 1803/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 1903/08/2013

Loved her stuff because it had energy, and you could dance to it, no so with Miss Piggy Adele.

by Anonymousreply 2003/08/2013

I thought she was a guy when I heard her voice.

Her only good song was "You know" or "I know" or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 2103/08/2013

No such song R21.

Perhaps you're thinking of "Only You" or "Don't Go."

by Anonymousreply 2203/08/2013

I really love her and welcome her back.

by Anonymousreply 2303/08/2013

I loved her song "Can't Say It Like I mean It" from her 2007 album "The Turn."

by Anonymousreply 2403/08/2013

LOVE her song, Should I feel That it's Over.

by Anonymousreply 2503/08/2013

R25 That's my favorite, too - all of Hometime is fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 2603/08/2013

Alison and Dawn French.

by Anonymousreply 2703/08/2013

^ I was surprised to learn she's married to a man -- I always assumed she was gay and thought she'd confirmed it with "Whispering Your Name."

by Anonymousreply 2803/08/2013

The Whispering Your Name song seems to be a love song between two women.

by Anonymousreply 2903/08/2013

Her cover of Marvin Gaye's "Hitchhike" is better than his. I have it on the flip side of "Invisible" 45.

by Anonymousreply 3003/08/2013

r22

It's from her album Essex and the real name is "And I Know," and it's indeed one of her great tunes.

by Anonymousreply 3103/08/2013

She loves cock - has 3 kids by 3 men - but I think she's said she either has had bi relationships or at least had crushes like that.

She acknowledged that with Whispering Your Name, she thought it made the song way more interesting if she didn't change the pronouns.

by Anonymousreply 3203/08/2013

Alison's solo work has always been hit or miss. Yaz/Yazoo, however, was some of the best electronic pop ever. It's a pity Alison and Vince Clarke only did two albums together before they broke up.

by Anonymousreply 3303/08/2013

[quote]Yeah yeah yeah-and about 2 years ago she was crowing that all her old albums were going to be remastered with all the extra tracks and remixes. STILL WAITING. Dame's a liar.

It's answered on her web site. The project was Sony's. They stalled on it. She's not signed to them.

by Anonymousreply 3403/08/2013

How did she lose so much frigging weight in one year? I'd say she got stapled, but she did this in the past: balloon, and then become a stick.

by Anonymousreply 3503/08/2013

[quote]I was wondering when the Alison Moyet troll was going to resurface.

Honey, if we ever had an Alison Moyet thread, it was one years ago. Get going, toots.

by Anonymousreply 3603/08/2013

The new song is great! It's not the first single though. The album is electronic, has house music, and R&B. This is the first time she's done electronic in decades. I'm so happy she's doing it because I found her albums in the 00s to be a big bore. The last album I loved from her was "HooDoo," which she says is her favorite album. Her career is really interesting. She and the Yaz guy were never friends. She cut her own hair in the early days. She was a fat chick. Her label was a dick in the 90s, and she didn't record for 8 years. They made her completely redo her 1994 flop "Essex" to make it more commercial. That was the album that fucked up her career. I'm glad she held out on principal with this new album. They wanted her to do reality shows and shit. Guy Sigsworth, the new album's producer, is a legend.

I love how Moyet writes her own shit. Her writing style is really interesting.

Dawn French is her best friend. I saw them make-out once. lol

Moyet was the first guest on French and Saunders back in 1987. She sang her song "Ordinary Girl," another favorite of mine.

"This House" was suppose to be a duet with her Yaz partner, but was shelved. No one's ever heard it. I can't imagine what that would have sounded like. It sounds like a song totally meant for one person. Maybe she rewrote it.

by Anonymousreply 3703/08/2013

R38 Everyone seems pretty much convinced that she had a gastric band put in.

by Anonymousreply 3803/08/2013

Kirsty MacColl wanted to write for her back in the 1980s. And Moyet mentioned that she was offered "Walking Down Madison" before Kirsty recorded it. She should do a MacColl album. Here's Moyet singing MacColl's "Head".

by Anonymousreply 3903/08/2013

r38, are you talking to yourself? lol

If she had a gastric band, she had a weird one. She went from obese to thin, obese to thin, and then obese to thin again. She said that she suffers from Bipolar disorder. Perhaps that's where it stems from: emotional eating.

She's a really cool chick. Can't believe she hit her 50s. Her smile looks lik the Joker though. Ever notice that?

by Anonymousreply 4003/08/2013

Must be a lot of Brits here. Moyet had one minor hit in the states.

Not really fair to compare her to Adele's twelve million albums sold and grammy and academy awards.

by Anonymousreply 4103/08/2013

R41, we're not really comparing them, and I could give a shit about numbers. The more it sells, the more simple and dumbed down it is.

by Anonymousreply 4203/08/2013

Alison lost all the weight and looks fabulous, but I always thought she was gorgeous even when she was heavy. She's also very youthful-looking for 50-plus.

by Anonymousreply 4303/08/2013

Her voice was shot to smithereens when she sang "Don't Go" on some talk show, drastically different from the original. To be expected, but all the same. Yazoo were charging a king's ransom on their recent reunion tour so I skipped, but kinda wish I went all the same.

But obviously what OP and others have said before is true: she is the original and much better Adele, who is good but in small doses. Honestly it's really inappropriate to hear that mega downer Someone Like You all the time, it's like a modern day Nothing Compares 2 U but not as durable and too depressing to hear so much.

by Anonymousreply 4403/08/2013

She sounded great when I saw the Yazoo tour in 2008. I wasn't thrilled with some of the slower reworkings of Yazoo songs either, R44.

by Anonymousreply 4503/08/2013

Adele is not simple and dumbed down.

by Anonymousreply 4603/08/2013

Adele came about at least when she first emerged when successful British acts in the US were more the exception and anomalies but the bigger mystery is why didn't she and Yazoo have the big breakthrough?

I mean, Erasure kinda did for a bit and this was the time of the British invasion and almost anyone broke through, synth pop was big with Depeche et al and she was also a contemporary of Sade with the sophisto-pop thing. Anyone who likes 80s pop would love her/them, classic stuff. "Invisible" is actually one of her less known songs in the UK.

I'm guessing it was an image thing? Back in the 80s it was so video driven and image conscious that later on you had Milli Vanilli, Technotronic, Black Box and C&C Music Factory with models miming. Fat was generally out then, unless you were like Luther or Barry White, less acceptable for female acts.

by Anonymousreply 4703/08/2013

Love her. Best ever cover of "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face".

I loved Kirsty MacColl a bit more, though. Gone too soon. I had bought her last album as an import the week before she died.

I'd love to hear an Alison/Adele duet!

by Anonymousreply 4803/08/2013

I always loved this Alison Moyet song. I've said this before on the DL, but for whatever it's worth, when I was a kid growing up in London, Alison's sister-in-law used to babysit me and she'd come over with stacks of Alison Moyet publicity shots that she'd diligently spend the evening faking her autograph on for fan mail autograph requests.

by Anonymousreply 4903/08/2013

[quote] I loved Kirsty MacColl a bit more, though. Gone too soon. I had bought her last album as an import the week before she died.

I love Kirsty. She'd be in my top 5 of favorites - Alison somewhere in the top 10.

by Anonymousreply 5003/08/2013

[quote]Must be a lot of Brits here. Moyet had one minor hit in the states.

Your point being? You only like artists or bands that sold a lot of albums? Are you that shallow and ignorant? You sound so white bread.

by Anonymousreply 5103/08/2013

Anyway.....bitch is fabulous

by Anonymousreply 5203/09/2013

And as I was saying...

BITCH.

IS.

FABULOUS.

by Anonymousreply 5304/02/2013

Skyfall would've been a better song if Alison had sung it.

by Anonymousreply 5404/02/2013

[quote]Alison's record company dropped her

I hear that happens when you're not...You know...Good

by Anonymousreply 5504/02/2013

Except she is, R55.

They dropped her for the mortal sin of not being 21. Or Lady Gaga. Two of the reasons I like her the most!

by Anonymousreply 5604/03/2013

Number 5!!!!

by Anonymousreply 5705/15/2013

Not me.

by Anonymousreply 5807/18/2014

I listen to that and get a bit of tranny singing live.

by Anonymousreply 5907/18/2014

Is she a lez-lez, or just transgendered?

by Anonymousreply 6007/18/2014
Need more help? Click Here.