Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Two Lower Manhattan Landmarks Will Become Luxury Condos

Lower Manhattan will be getting two more residential conversions, thanks to a deal by the city to sell two landmarked buildings for close to $250 million. The addresses in question: 49-51 Chambers Street, the former Emigrant Industrial Savings Bank, and 346 Broadway, currently a city criminal court building. DNAinfo has the rundown on the buyers and the buildings' prospects. The Chambers Street property will be going to—drumroll please—the Chetrit Group, which is also planning a major conversion in Gramercy, and Joseph Chetrit tells DNAinfo he's envisioning a luxury residential building with ground-floor retail.

The Peebles Corporation picked up 346 Broadway, and it will become condos and a hotel, exactly what Mayor Bloomberg dreamed of. Hopefully the curvy elevator banks, and maybe even the cool bars on some of the windows, will stick around through the conversion. The community will get a 16,000-square-foot media center out of the deal.

by Anonymousreply 1403/06/2013

But what will happen to the Courtrooms? Are they building a new court building?

by Anonymousreply 103/06/2013

346 Broadway was New York Life until a move to Madison and 26th in the 20s. The Emigrant was founded by Irish immigrants because banks refused to open accounts for them.

by Anonymousreply 203/06/2013

More rich people? Gross.

by Anonymousreply 303/06/2013

How many more luxury condos does NYC need? Can there really be that many people with that much money?

by Anonymousreply 403/06/2013

the world's wealthy can NEVER have enough

by Anonymousreply 503/06/2013

My mother worked at the Emigrant Savings Bank at that location in the 1940s. She was in stocks and bonds when she left to marry my father in 1946.

The bank had "passbook" information that dated back to the beginning of their records. They included personal biographical data of account holders on their families back in Ireland (mother's maiden name, father's names, birth places, dates, addresses, etc. back in Ireland) - this is how the families in Ireland could access the money over there - they had to answer key questions - as a form of password.

The bank turned over all these records to the NY State geneolgy or historical society maybe 10 years or so ago. It is a goldmine of information for geneology research.

After they had vacated their Chambers Street address and moved uptown my mom took me with her when she went to visit the bank and was able to visit with former colleagues who were still there. I wondered if she regretted leaving to become a housewife even though she had wonderful children (LOL!) - her female replacement had become VP in charge of stocks and bonds.

IIRC the state rented out the bank building for events - I know I've seen pictures of parties and other events held there. It looked beautiful inside.

by Anonymousreply 703/06/2013

If you subscribe to the NY Curbed email, you see shit like this everyday and it is nauseating.

They really are trying to turn Manhattan into Republican City.

by Anonymousreply 803/06/2013

Has Manhattan become the Beverly Hills of NYC? Can the middle class even afford to live in Manhattan anymore?

by Anonymousreply 903/06/2013

Manhattan is the new ATLANTA, baby!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1003/06/2013

Manhattan is going to be overrun with oil sheikhs and Russian oligarchs, just like London.

by Anonymousreply 1103/06/2013

Someone should take pictures of these buildings before they are altered or torn down.

by Anonymousreply 1203/06/2013

[quote]Someone should take pictures of these buildings before they are altered or torn down.

They're tearing them down? I thought they were just converting them. Does NYC have no historical preservation group?

If they're tearing down those beautiful buildings to replace them with some hideous modern montrosity, then that's just pathetic. Most of these modern buildings looks HIDEOUS and have no imagination or character.

by Anonymousreply 1303/06/2013

I loath all Curbeds. For about 10 seconds they had some interesting posts.

Now they are all press releases about how some developer is going to tear down some beloved buildings in your neighborhood and build luxury condos.

Don't live in an urban area, you say? Got any interested homes in your area? Curbed is there to cheer the demolition so some developer can pack in 20 Mini Mc Mansion tract houses in it's place.

by Anonymousreply 1403/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.