Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Obama To Shut Down White House tours To Cut Costs

GOP leaders and staffers are ridiculing Obama's decision to shut down the high-profile tours of the White House.

“Canceling white house tours is childish and dishonest [Obamas’s] golf weekend in florida cost enough to keep the white house open for months,” said a tweet from former House Speaker Newt Gingrich. “Obama should be challenged … this is silly and demeaning.”

“White House cancels tours post sequester,” said a tweet from Brad Dayspring, a Senate spokesman.

“Now I guess the only way to get inside Obama WH is to give $500,000 to OFA,” he said, evoking the current scandal over donations to President Barack Obama’s Organizing for Action lobby group.

“Want to reschedule your canceled WH tour? That’ll be $500,000,” said a message from the National Republican Congressional Committee.

The committee also tweeted out a quote from the White House’s website: “[T]he halls of gov’t are not reserved for a privileged few, and the [White House] should be no exception.”

Is Obama right to shut down White House tours?

by Anonymousreply 6803/08/2013

I hope they never bring the tours back. I don't believe the public should have access to the White House.

by Anonymousreply 103/06/2013

White House email tells agency to make budget cuts as painful as possible. Link below.

by Anonymousreply 403/06/2013

Did R3 notice presidents playing golf before the Obama presidency or was that recent?

by Anonymousreply 503/06/2013

R5 did they shut down WH tours to cut costs?

by Anonymousreply 603/06/2013

Yeah R5 but NOT by way of Air Force one, unless they were on a real vacation.

by Anonymousreply 703/06/2013

R4, don't bother linking to The Washington Times. That's like The National Enquirer for tinhats.

by Anonymousreply 803/06/2013

R6, no idea if they shut down WH tours to save costs. My guess is the security people have wanted to do that for a long time.

R7, I'm not sure that's true. Are you?

by Anonymousreply 1003/06/2013

The Obama administration told members of Congress on Tuesday that it was canceling all White House tours beginning on Saturday because of the $85 billion in across-the-board spending cuts that went into effect last week.

Constituents who want to visit the White House must go through their representatives to schedule a tour, so Congressional offices will be forced to turn away visitors hoping for a tour and contact others to cancel scheduled tours.

Lawmakers are being forced to trim their budgets, too. On Monday, Representative Candice Miller, Republican of Michigan and chairwoman of the House Administration Committee, told members that their 2013 office budget authorizations were being reduced by 8.2 percent.

“Although sequestration isn’t the ideal way to reduce government spending,” Ms. Miller said in a statement, “it is now the law, and Congress is not, and should not be, immune.”

Lawmakers, however, will have the discretion to choose how to absorb the cuts.

In its own advisory, the White House made it clear that it understood that its move would inconvenience tourists and could cause a headache for lawmakers. “We very much regret having to take this action, particularly during the popular spring touring season,” the e-mail said.

A spokesman for the U.S. Secret Service said that officers who would be assigned tpo the tours would be reassigned to other posts at the White House. “This staffing measure will reduce overtime costs overall and may ultimately reduce the number of potential furloughs necessary by our agency,” said Max Milien, the spokesman.

Many members of Congress took to Twitter to voice their displeasure, although some also tried to offer a positive spin, suggesting that visitors should instead visit the Capitol.

“White House cancels tours over sequestration; House admin welcomes Americans visiting D.C. to tour Capitol instead,” read a Twitter message by the House Administration Committee.

Representative Cathy McMorris Rodgers, Republican of Washington and chairwoman of the House Republican Conference, similarly welcomed tourists to visit the Capitol, and accused President Obamaof playing politics with the budget cuts.

“It’s unfortunate the president has chosen to implement his sequester by canceling White House tours instead of urging Senate Democrats to cut wasteful spending,” she said in a statement. “We welcome the opportunity to provide a free tour of the U.S. Capitol to anyone visiting Washington who will now be unable to visit the White House because of the president’s decision. Spending is the problem. And instead of making responsible spending cuts, the president has now denied American people access to the White House.”

Representative James Lankford, Republican of Oklahoma, said he was “a little surprised” that the White House had shut down tours, calling the decision “a dramatic overreaction.”

“The White House always tries to make things as public and harsh as they can, rather than saying they’re going to try to reduce spending and make responsible decisions,” he said. “They are trying to reduce access and trying to make it look bad.”

Many Democrats, however, said the White House was simply making tough choices to handle the budget cuts that Congress did not stop. “The White House is doing what it has to do,” said Representative Steve Israel, Democrat of New York and chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee.

Mr. Israel said his office was drafting e-mails to constituents whose tours were canceled, as well as to those who had made requests for tours. “House Republicans are hurting everyday Americans,” he said, “including those who simply want to tour the White House.”

Representative Louie Gohmert, Republican of Texas, is trying to introduce an amendment to a stopgap measure to finance the government through the rest of the fiscal year that would prevent Mr. Obama from using federal money to transport himself to and from golf outings until the White House resumed its tours.

by Anonymousreply 1303/06/2013

R5 Bush played 24 rounds of golf versus Obama's 115 so far.

by Anonymousreply 1403/06/2013

[quote] We should be able to tour our White House anytime we want.

It is the people's house.

by Anonymousreply 1503/06/2013

Except that it's dangerous, R11. I was told it's a nightmare to guard the White House.

Do tour groups traipse through 10 Downing Street while business is being conducted there?

by Anonymousreply 1603/06/2013

Then read R13 R17

by Anonymousreply 1803/06/2013

If I were the President I'd issue an executive order that cuts congresspersons' pay to $0 until they come stop with their vile obstructionist tactics.

by Anonymousreply 1903/06/2013

And yet Obama won't make any cuts to the military-industrial complex, will he?

by Anonymousreply 2003/06/2013

More republican crop dusting, it's all political misinterpretations, innuendo, and outright lies.

by Anonymousreply 2103/06/2013

R8 The leaked email came from the agriculture agency. So here is another link to the story from Agwired which is an agricultural web site not affiliated with the National Enquiror.

by Anonymousreply 2203/06/2013

R15, applying your thinking, every area of every public building should be open for public tours. Throw open the doors of the Pentagon. Open those Fort Knox vault doors.

It's not "the people's house"; it's the residence of the President and First Family. I think you knew that already.

by Anonymousreply 2303/06/2013

The NY Times is lying at R13 ?

by Anonymousreply 2403/06/2013

[quote] It's not "the people's house"; it's the residence of the President and First Family.

The People’s House: The White House in Photos Encyclopedia Britannica

by Anonymousreply 2503/06/2013

the NYT piece is simply quoting republican politicians who are criticizing the White House.

Did you read the last few paragraphs, r24?

by Anonymousreply 2603/06/2013

So any time a publication calls a building by a bullshit name, we're supposed to believe it's real?

Of course it belongs to us. That doesn't mean we need to tour it. Certainly not when we're in the way.

by Anonymousreply 2703/06/2013

R23 The White House has been open to the public from the very start.

I really don't get the point of your rather paranoid rant. You don't want people to want to be able to visit the place of someone they helped elect? To have a sense of pride in their government?

by Anonymousreply 2803/06/2013

R21 This came from the president who is a democrat not a republican. Since you don't read a newspaper or watch the news I thought I would enlighten your ignorant ass.

by Anonymousreply 2903/06/2013

OP WHY DON'T YOU POST YOUR SOURCE, COWARD.

by Anonymousreply 3003/06/2013

EVerything the president does is expensive because of security and the number of people who need to be with him.

So who cares if he golfs or not?

by Anonymousreply 3103/06/2013

R30 source is at R13

by Anonymousreply 3203/06/2013

R30 I am not the OP but here is the link you desire. It's from NBC so it should meet your approval. Now please get your head out of your ass because this story has been all over the news today.

by Anonymousreply 3403/06/2013

R31. Are you really that stupid? It's called sequestration. I did read where welfare and food stamps wouldn't be cut so I guess if it doesn't alter your lifestyle, why should you care about golf outings the president takes??

by Anonymousreply 3503/06/2013

Bengazi bengazi bengazi!!

tiger woods golfing!

by Anonymousreply 3603/06/2013

R14, now do a comparison of how much time GWB was on vacation compared to how much time BO has taken off.

If you're never at the White House, you don't need to play golf to relax.

I don't even like BO, but the kind of comparison you make between GWB's golf games compared to BO's is specious. I don't know that GWB particularly enjoyed golf. As I recall he did a lot of mountain biking with security all around him.

by Anonymousreply 3703/06/2013

"The building should have been closed to the public after 9-11."

Great idea. Another way to install fear in the average citizen. Because we didn't have enough of THAT during those years.

And as we see, the Bush propaganda has lingering effects.

by Anonymousreply 3803/06/2013

I didn't say MORE, dipshit. I said it would have added to it.

by Anonymousreply 4003/06/2013

Why would you assume they don't want us to be afraid, R40? My impression is that they've worked their collective butts off to scare hell out of us.

by Anonymousreply 4103/06/2013

From the Roger Ailes says Obama is lazy thread, here are the number of vacation days taken by each president:

Carter (Democrat): 79 days in four years or 5.4%

Reagan (Republican): 484 days in eight years or 16.5%

Bush 41 (Republican): 543 days in four years or 37.1%

Clinton (Democrat): 152 days in eight years or 5.2%

Bush 43 (Republican): 1020 days in eight years or 34.9%

Obama (Democrat): 131 Days in his first four years or 8.9%

The Bushes are way ahead of the rest of the pack here with Reagan a distant third. The Republicans look like the slackers here.

Considering the amount of security and staff that had to be provided for a president who was away from the White House 34.9% of the time, I wonder if it's more expensive to have a president living in TX or one who gets on a jet to play golf.

by Anonymousreply 4203/06/2013

"It's not "the people's house"; it's the residence of the President and First Family. I think you knew that already."

The White House belongs to the American People. A Presidential family occupies the White House for 8 years maximum. It should be open to us, always. Our President is not a King. This symbolizes a divide between the President and the People. It's a historic monument and one of America's most iconic institutions and it is a living museum. It is our White House, not the President's.

How in the world is it so costly to give tours of the White House? This is like Romney attacking PBS or Amtrak when their government funding is just a drop in a large bucket.

This is without a doubt one of the most absurd ideas I've ever heard. I can't believe Obama would be so naive. I believe there is more to this story.

by Anonymousreply 4303/06/2013

It's a huge security issue. There is more to this.

by Anonymousreply 4403/06/2013

So did they pass the decree that if he's stopping WH tours, he also has to stop playing golf?

by Anonymousreply 4603/06/2013

White House Tours are fun -- when this all works itself out and you find yourself planning a trip to DC, ring up your Congressional rep and ask for a VIP tour tickets (they are early, at 8AM but you get to see more.)

by Anonymousreply 4703/06/2013

I'd personally rather he'd cut the White House tourism crap rather than take food out of the working poor's mouths (the latter of which Republicans are doing a banner job already). I can do without taking my kids to see the Lincoln Fucking Bedroom if it means someone else's kids will get to EAT.

by Anonymousreply 4803/06/2013

But he's BLAAAAAACK!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4903/06/2013

[quote]There is nothing more disgraceful than living larger on expense accounts than you can on your own dime. The Obamas clearly abuse the perks. We should be able to tour our White House anytime we want.

And just how many fucking times have you toured it, freeper fuck R11?

by Anonymousreply 5003/06/2013

I disagree with how the vacation days are counted. It's absurd to count when you stay at your own home as a vacation. Are we all experiencing a vacation when we return to our own home after a business trip? If Obama goes to Chicago it's not a vacation, and the same is true for all the other presidents going home. Going to Hawaii when you no longer live there is a vacation.

by Anonymousreply 5103/06/2013

He's black, so his vacation days are 'lazy' versus a white president who would need to 'rest'.

by Anonymousreply 5203/06/2013

The Obama's abuse their expense account because they're black. Straight white executives never abuse their expense accounts nor do they enjoy the perks of their job, not even CEOs.

by Anonymousreply 5303/07/2013

r48 gets it.

by Anonymousreply 5403/07/2013

R50. Five in my lifetime, thank you. Notice I said "we" not "I" in the original post.

by Anonymousreply 5503/07/2013

Damn

by Anonymousreply 5603/07/2013

[quote][R5] Bush played 24 rounds of golf versus Obama's 115 so far.

That's not a fair comparison -- Bush didn't like golf so only went when the situation demanded it. Obama likes golf and goes whenever he can.

You can flip this sort of argument by saying Bush rode his bicycle 498 times and Obama has yet to ride a bicycle.

by Anonymousreply 5703/07/2013

My mother, a retired architect and historic preservationist, inquired about being a volunteer guide at the White House last year. She was told the WH no longer hosts volunteers and that she should go to serve.gov to find another venue for her volunteering. She wound up volunteering with a Maryland church that was undergoing renovations.

But, if $$ are a problem, open up the docent positions to volunteers. Tours of the Obama residence should remain off limits. But there is much more to the WH than that.

by Anonymousreply 5803/07/2013

[quote]Tours of the Obama residence should remain off limits.

The Presidential residence sections were never on-limits, unless the family invited you up there.

Jackie Kennedy said, "I want to make this The President's House and the People's House."

by Anonymousreply 6003/07/2013

Let's be honest. If it was a Republican President who stopped WH tours to cut costs, there would be A LOT more outrage.

by Anonymousreply 6103/07/2013

Thanks, R48.

Too bad most Republicans think just the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 6303/07/2013

Why do the cuts always come at the expense of the middle class?

If you're so concerned about people eating in this country, then start taxing the wealthy what they deserve. That would be more beneficial and I think would feed a lot more mouths than this.

The ridiulous amount we blow on our military is another thing, but you can forget ever having a legitimate conversation on that.

The only ones who will screwed on this are the middle class on down, as usual. But many people feel like they have absolutely no say in their government anymore, so I guess this is fitting in a way.

by Anonymousreply 6403/07/2013

I want to eat the corn out of John McCain and Karl Rove's shot.

by Anonymousreply 6503/07/2013

this thread didn't quite go the way you wanted, eh op?

by Anonymousreply 6603/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.