Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

If women are half the population, why are they underrepresented in the media?

Though we have some women, the majority are male talking heads on cable news.

by Anonymousreply 503/06/2013

OP, have you ever been a woman?

Trust me -- men never listen to what a woman has to say.

by Anonymousreply 103/06/2013

Are you fucking kidding me?! Maybe it's because--and you know it's true--women tend to be more concerned with frivolity rather than substance. If more of them showed more interest in politics/news, then they'd be properly represented. As a matter of fact, female pundits are often more astute/intelligent than their male counterparts (e.g., Joy Reid, Rachel Maddow, Cokie Roberts, and even Peggy Noonan).

by Anonymousreply 203/06/2013

OP hasn't look at TV lately. Stations hire as many woman of different nationalities as they can to exceed the FCC EEO requirement.

by Anonymousreply 303/06/2013

"OP hasn't look at TV lately."

Yes, things have changed a lot. If the news website for one of my local TV channels is any indication, women are overrepresented.

The "Personalities" page doesn't include reporters. (I guess "workers" don't count!) However, estimating from recent memory, I'd say the mix for reporters is about half women, half men.

For the "personalities" who count, the news department has 10 women and 4 men, the weather department has 4 women and 2 men, the traffic helicopter has 3 women and 1 man, and the sports department has 0 women and 3 men. Except for sports, there are at least twice as many women as men in high-profile positions.

by Anonymousreply 403/06/2013

Hey, Baba Wawa is worth 10 dudes. Katie Couric is worth 10 dudes. Oprah is worth 100 dudes.

Women are NOT underrepresented.

by Anonymousreply 503/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!