Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

A Gay Couple's High School Year Book Picture Was Rejected only after School Officials Realized They Were Gay

Texas high school student says she’s taking a stand after her high school pulled a photo of her and her girlfriend from appearing in the yearbook because they are lesbian couple.

The photo of 16-year-olds Lialani Hernandez and Felicia Rivera was originally going to be included in Brennan High School’s yearbook Valentine’s-themed page, alongside some of the other high school’s heterosexual couples. According to the students, because Ms Rivera’s face was obscured by her hair in the picture making her gender ambiguos, the photo was only pulled after it was made clear to a school teacher that the picture was of two girls. Felicia Rivera told the Daily News.

The school’s principal denied that the photo was pulled because it showed a lesbian couple, but rather it was pulled because Ms Rivera’s embracing of Ms Hernandez in the photo was too graphic a public display of affection (PDA) for the yearbook. Pascual Gonzalez, a spokesperson for the Northside School District, supported the same argument, saying:

"It’s just an intimate picture; there’s no eye contact. They’re both looking down. It looks like a pretty intimate moment."

Check the picture out in the link and see if you think the picture is too "intimate"

by Anonymousreply 2203/08/2013

I dont get whats wrong with their picture, bunch of homophobic school. officials.

by Anonymousreply 103/06/2013

The photo was perfectly lovely.

by Anonymousreply 203/06/2013

The big question here is, were any photos of straight couples with their arm around their partner, published in the yearbook?

by Anonymousreply 303/06/2013

To be honest, I don't remember any pictures of straight couples cuddling in my H.S. yearbook. Even the "Class Couple" (who were already married then, believe it or not) were basically just standing together.

But that was many, many moons ago.

by Anonymousreply 403/06/2013

The bigger question is why the f@CK would it even matter if her arm is around her. It is no way appears to be overly sexual, in fact there is no way someone could tell it is two girls. It seems the girl has a possible discrimination case on her hands. Geeze Texas, get your shit together already

by Anonymousreply 503/06/2013

[quote]I don't remember any pictures of straight couples cuddling in my H.S. yearbook.

The only thing near that in our H.S. yearbook was a few photos of dances.

by Anonymousreply 603/06/2013

[quote]Geeze Texas, get your shit together already

Houston has a lesbian mayor.

by Anonymousreply 703/06/2013

Just cuz you have a lesbian mayor doesnt change your state's homophobia. It will take many years for the homophobia to slowly go away

by Anonymousreply 803/06/2013

But every state has homophobia. Oregon beats their fags with crowbars for having pink poodles. So it's silly to deride Texas.

by Anonymousreply 903/06/2013

Hate and homophobia is in every city in town around the world. It is up to us to change this, be kind to everyone, even your haters.

by Anonymousreply 1003/06/2013

As far as arty high school pics go, that's a good one.

by Anonymousreply 1103/06/2013

Looks like they are into the year 1978.

by Anonymousreply 1203/06/2013

Eeeeeewwww. Kill'em with fire.

They look like dirty, gross street people.

by Anonymousreply 1303/06/2013

What kind of school promotes discrimination?

by Anonymousreply 1403/06/2013

As a teacher, I say there's nothing wrong with the photo, but something's wrong with Texas. As usual.

by Anonymousreply 1503/06/2013

Has got to be one of the ugliest looking lesbian couples I've seen in a long time!

by Anonymousreply 1603/06/2013

rejected for being so damn ugly is more like it

by Anonymousreply 1703/07/2013

[post by racist shit-stain #3 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1803/07/2013

We never had photos of any couples in our yearbook. It's ridiculous. Just be yourself, stand up by yourself, speak for yourself. Kids shouldn't be encouraged to be part of a couple when they're teens. They need to figure out their own identity, then go out into the world.

by Anonymousreply 1903/07/2013

The picture quality is what I take issue with.. ..grainy and full of blotches.

and...that's exactly the response that the principal should have used...if they were clever in their homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 2003/07/2013

R20 you can't mask homophobia behind the quality of a picture, you simply ask the two girls to submit a clearer picture or one with them not facing each other. But this obviously wreaks of homophobia to me. Come on now

by Anonymousreply 2103/08/2013

"wreaks"

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 2203/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.