Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Found wallet

I found a wallet in the parking lot of a strip mall today. I attempted to contact the person at the address on his drivers license but was told he hasn't lived there for several years. There's no other info in the wallet aside from numerous credit cards and an old Blockbuster video rental card. No listing in 411.

I did find the guy's Vimeo profile but he hasn't logged in there for over a year and I'm not a member so I can't message him. I did message a guy on Facebook that might be him. Beyond that is there anything I can do to get this guy's wallet back to him? Or should I forget it since he's probably cancelled his credit cards already and needs to get a new drivers license anyway.

by Good Samaritanreply 2203/07/2013

Contact the credit providers?

Hand over the wallet to the police?

Look up the phone book?

As some of the stores?

by Good Samaritanreply 103/06/2013

Police dept?

by Good Samaritanreply 203/06/2013

If you message someone on Facebook with whom you're not friends, the message just goes into his Other box, and chances are he'll never see it.

by Good Samaritanreply 303/06/2013

If it is a reputable mall, they have security and a lost and found.

by Good Samaritanreply 403/06/2013

It was a strip shopping center - liquor store, Subway sandwiches, dry cleaner, a couple other take out restaurants. There's a parking attendant but not one I would trust or want someone handing my lost wallet to.

I guess I can take it to the police but in Los Angeles that seems pretty futile.

by Good Samaritanreply 503/06/2013

Craig's List?

by Good Samaritanreply 603/06/2013

OP call the credit card company. They will contact him.

by Good Samaritanreply 703/06/2013

Really? I'll try that then.

by Good Samaritanreply 803/06/2013

Contact police. Maybe the poor guy met with foul play.

by Good Samaritanreply 903/06/2013

R7 is right. I found a wallet and called the credit card company. They conferenced me in with the card-holder, and we arranged to meet at a nearby CVS so I could return the wallet in person.

by Good Samaritanreply 1003/06/2013

I'll be stopping by for a little visit, OP.

by Good Samaritanreply 1103/06/2013

I trust you kept the money.

by Good Samaritanreply 1203/06/2013

Try asking the people working in the stores, OP. If he dropped his wallet, chances are he bought something at one of them.

by Good Samaritanreply 1303/06/2013

Put "Found Wallet" signs in strip store windows. Wait for call.

by Good Samaritanreply 1403/06/2013

I once found and returned a purse filled with money and credit card and to be honest, it was not a very good experience.

I was walking back to my campus apartment when I saw a purse just lying between the bushes and the sidewalk. I took one of the credit cards and called the 1-800 number. Since the agent would not give out any person info on the owner, I gave him my phone # and told him to relay it to the owner. The owner called me and we met about half an hour later. Turns out she lived near the campus apartment complex.

She was a middle aged woman. When I gave her the purse, she rummaged through it to check to see if I had taken anything. Then looks up at me and said, "thank you," and pretty much walked away. That was it. It was awkward.

This was awhile ago but I recall feeling that if I ever see another purse or wallet again, I'm just going to toss it in the trash rather than deal with someone like that again.

by Good Samaritanreply 1503/06/2013

In the olden days, you could just throw it in a mail collection box and the Postal Inspectors would take it from there.

by Good Samaritanreply 1603/06/2013

I agree r15. Whenever I see someone's stuff lying around I just leave it there. Usually people will trace their steps to find their lost items, I know I do. It makes it easier when its where they left it. If someone steals it the meantime, oh well, you should be more careful with your shit. Strangers shouldnt feel obligated to babysit other stranger's lost things.

by Good Samaritanreply 1703/06/2013

R17 model citizen of the world.

by Good Samaritanreply 1803/06/2013

A few months ago I found a wallet and was able to find the guy's info online. He hadn't even realized he had lost it yet. He only lived a few blocks away so he came right over.

I was so ready with a "No. No reward is necessary. Just do something nice for someone" speech but he never offered. T'weren't I dim?

I could really have used the money but those few years in the Boy Scouts ruined me for life.

by Good Samaritanreply 1903/06/2013

So what did we decide?

by Good Samaritanreply 2003/07/2013

Turn it into a lost and found for the parking lot or if there isn't one to the police. The wallet may have been reported stolen or the police may be able to refer it for investigation to find the owner.

by Good Samaritanreply 2103/07/2013

A friend of mine found a purse once. Being a good Samaritan, he phoned the owner and when she picked it up she accused him of stealing it and her money that was in it. Sometimes it's not worth it.

by Good Samaritanreply 2203/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!