Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Restaurant suggestions in London

New Yorker headed to London next week and am looking for restaurant suggestions. I'm staying at the new Mariott at St Pancras, and will be seeing Chorus Line at the Palladium and Betty Buckley in Dear World at the Charing Cross. I'm a bear; so I like to eat... Thanks in advance.

by Anonymousreply 3304/21/2013

Who cares if you're a New Yorker, OP? I guess that means after every restaurant you visit in London, your review will begin with "As a New Yorker, I'm used to getting the best Italian/Asian Fusion/fish 'n' chips"

by Anonymousreply 103/05/2013

I don't know, R1; I wrote the whole thing and then put that in as an afterthought. It didn't mean much. Thanks for your suggestions though...

Btw I love the pork sandwiches at Redding Terminal Market.

by Anonymousreply 203/05/2013

I know,OP!

Go to a Wimpy's and fill up on hamburgers and then tell the counterman that you will gladly pay him next Tuesday!

by Anonymousreply 303/05/2013

Like meat, game? It'll be costly, but ... Rules in Covent Garden! Wear coat and tie. It's the oldest restaurant in London. Another "traditional" bastion is Simpson's-in-the-Strand, near the Savoy. Costly, yes. In both you'll be Bear King!

by Anonymousreply 403/06/2013

Balans on Old Compton. Enjoy the Banaffi Pie!

by Anonymousreply 503/06/2013

Its London, R4, that it will be costly is a given.

by Anonymousreply 603/06/2013

Thanks for the suggestions. Cost is not a problem. I'm treating myself well this holiday.

by Anonymousreply 703/06/2013

OP, if you like Spanish food, go to Barrafina on Firth St in Soho.

by Anonymousreply 803/06/2013

"Roast" in Borough Market. Just wonderful and you'll leave satisfied. Simpsons and Rules also nice but very much on the tourist trail. Go a bit off the beaten track and explore. Some great places in Soho also. "Arbutus" is really wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 903/06/2013

Also, when at Dear World, try Les Deux Salon opposite Charing Cross Station. Same owner as Arbutus, but French rather than English. They also do great cocktails.

by Anonymousreply 1003/06/2013

I usually stay in the Gloucester area and I avoid the touristy restaurants, with the exception of Simpsons. I highly recommend it. I most often pick a pub in a trendy area and the food is quite good. Good chops and fish in the 20 pounds bracket, but you'll leave satisfied. Simpson's will run a good 50 to 75 pounds, but the beef is superb. I cheat and go to Simpson's for lunch.

by Anonymousreply 1103/06/2013

Opera Tavern in Covent Garden. Marvelous tapas and you can walk to most theatres.

by Anonymousreply 1203/06/2013

R11, by "Gloucester area" do you mean Gloucester Road in Kensington? The "Gloucester area" is not anywhere near London.

by Anonymousreply 1303/06/2013

L'Escargot [great pre-theater menu]

48 Greek Street, Soho

by Anonymousreply 1403/06/2013

Hawkmoor, Tramshed, Shrimpys, Bistroteque, Meat Mission, St John Bread and Wine.

High tea at Claridges

Breakfast at the Wolsey (if you can get in)

by Anonymousreply 1503/06/2013

Andrew Edmunds' in Soho. Oxo Tower - not cheap but one of the best views in London. Any of the stalls at the Borough Market. And for a quick and decent lunch on the go -- pret a manger. And anyone who scoffs at that suggestion is a pretender.

by Anonymousreply 1603/07/2013

OP you have to try Indian food while your there. The best Indian food in the world in London. And I second borough market. I love to just walk around a graze when I'm there. They have some wonderful game dishes if you're adventurous. And great cheeses.

by Anonymousreply 1703/07/2013

Clos Maggiore in Covent Garden. Lovely, romantic place with a great pre-theater prix-fixe. Reputed to be one of Prince Harry's favorite dining places.

by Anonymousreply 1803/07/2013

What Indian places would you suggest? Any Fish? Gastropubs?

by Anonymousreply 1903/07/2013

Seconding the recommendations for Roast in Borough Market (particularly the Full Borough breakfast) and Opera Tavern.

Indian - the Red Fort in Soho is great, fantastic cocktails as well.

Asian fusion - Inamo St. James on Lower Regent Street. Great food and drink, playing with the tables is an added bonus (if you go, you'll see what I mean).

If you have time, do have an afternoon tea somewhere so you can get the clotted cream experience. I recommend the Portrait Restaurant & Bar on the top floor of the National Portrait Gallery. You have to go through the gallery to get to the restaurant so you'll get some culture by default.

Enjoy your holiday!

by Anonymousreply 2003/07/2013

Skip Dear World.

by Anonymousreply 2103/07/2013

Head up the hill to Islington, OP.

Check out The Barnsbury district, it's like a beautiful movie set and strangely silent in the day, then head over to Upper Street and have lunch in one of the many cafes there.

I like to have lunch in the cafe in The Almeida Theatre and it's often full of the cast from whatever show's being rehearsed in the theatre.

by Anonymousreply 2203/07/2013

The Ivy

by Anonymousreply 2303/07/2013

r13 you can smack me with a mackerel, an I tell by your tone you would love the opportunity. I didn't proof read my post. Yes, I meant Gloucester Rd.

by Anonymousreply 2403/07/2013

Zuma's

by Anonymousreply 2503/07/2013

Planning on having a cream tea at Fortnum and Mason's. I'm partial to their tea (it's my Christmas present to my Mom every year) and love walking their main floor.

by Anonymousreply 2603/08/2013

For good Indian food in London that's not the usual tacky curry house fare, try Trishna in the Baker Street area. A bit more expensive than the run of the mill Indian restaurants, but great food.

by Anonymousreply 2703/08/2013

I looked at the menu for The Arbutus and I saw "pigeon" - is it really pigeon?

by Anonymousreply 2803/08/2013

McDonald's Burger King Nandos KFC

by Anonymousreply 2903/08/2013

R23, no one goes to the ivy anymore; unless you're 60+ and get excited by seeing Joan Collins next to you munching her salad.

by Anonymousreply 3003/08/2013

Bump

by Anonymousreply 3103/08/2013

OP/R26, big yes to an afternoon tea at Fortnum & Mason! I love the tea ritual, always try to have a tea at Brown's, but once I "discovered" tea at F&M it has become a rite. I don't know, just something about the comfortable-ness -- is that a word? -- of it all, in a nice room in a fine store famous for food. They sure do it right there!

by Anonymousreply 3204/21/2013

Also ... Yum! Everywhere, Pub Grub! Fish 'n Chips!

by Anonymousreply 3304/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.